I am wanting to upgrade the sound system in my 2010 CTS-V with the bose system. I want to retain factory steering wheel controls and volume controls, the GM factory ipod control, all navigation/onstar/chime audio, all while maximizing sound quality. The stock bose system is annoying, as volume control is done in the OEM bose amplifier via GMLAN. The amp also does a host of digital processing and volume dependent EQing.
A member on this forum, Se7en, did an amazing install on an 09 with a bit one, but there was one thing that I (and I believe Se7en) thought could be improved. The bit one was either placed before the bose amp to avoid all the DSP (but you loose volume control), or after the bose amp to retain volume control but then be stuck with the volume dependent EQing and the signal being degraded by the bose amp. Also, Se7en seemed not particularly concerned with ipod playback, which I am.
I figured out a possible solution, but not sure if it will work, and if there are easier ways. Here is my plan:
1. Install a 80prs in the glove box or some other hidden area.
2. Use an axxess SWI to allow the 80prs to be controlled via the steering wheel controls
3. Send signal over RCA from 80prs to bit one and rest of system (3-way front with 8" in doors, 5" and tweets in kicks, sub in trunk). This effectively bypasses the bose amp, but still allows factory volume/steering wheel controls.
4. Use OEM system to control Ipod, but send ipod audio to 80prs as well. Get a USB splitter cable, to allow ipod to be connected to OEM system and 80prs simulataneously. Set 80prs to "Ipod Mode" control mode, so it does not control the ipod, but just takes audio signal of whatever the ipod happens to be playing.
5. Leave front driver side dash speaker connected to OEM bose system for nav/chime/onstar audio. Disconnect all other OEM speakers.
Will this plan work (I am mostly concerned with step 4)? Is there a simplier way to acheive what I am trying to do? Essentially, I am just using the 80prs as an interface to retain factory volume/ipod/steering wheel control and bypass the bose amp, while using the bitone.