LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 UWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enough

Default CTS-V with Bose Sytem Install

I am wanting to upgrade the sound system in my 2010 CTS-V with the bose system. I want to retain factory steering wheel controls and volume controls, the GM factory ipod control, all navigation/onstar/chime audio, all while maximizing sound quality. The stock bose system is annoying, as volume control is done in the OEM bose amplifier via GMLAN. The amp also does a host of digital processing and volume dependent EQing.

A member on this forum, Se7en, did an amazing install on an 09 with a bit one, but there was one thing that I (and I believe Se7en) thought could be improved. The bit one was either placed before the bose amp to avoid all the DSP (but you loose volume control), or after the bose amp to retain volume control but then be stuck with the volume dependent EQing and the signal being degraded by the bose amp. Also, Se7en seemed not particularly concerned with ipod playback, which I am.

I figured out a possible solution, but not sure if it will work, and if there are easier ways. Here is my plan:

1. Install a 80prs in the glove box or some other hidden area.
2. Use an axxess SWI to allow the 80prs to be controlled via the steering wheel controls
3. Send signal over RCA from 80prs to bit one and rest of system (3-way front with 8" in doors, 5" and tweets in kicks, sub in trunk). This effectively bypasses the bose amp, but still allows factory volume/steering wheel controls.
4. Use OEM system to control Ipod, but send ipod audio to 80prs as well. Get a USB splitter cable, to allow ipod to be connected to OEM system and 80prs simulataneously. Set 80prs to "Ipod Mode" control mode, so it does not control the ipod, but just takes audio signal of whatever the ipod happens to be playing.
5. Leave front driver side dash speaker connected to OEM bose system for nav/chime/onstar audio. Disconnect all other OEM speakers.

Will this plan work (I am mostly concerned with step 4)? Is there a simplier way to acheive what I am trying to do? Essentially, I am just using the 80prs as an interface to retain factory volume/ipod/steering wheel control and bypass the bose amp, while using the bitone.
UWNeaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 chesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enough

Default Re: CTS-V with Bose Sytem Install

This won't work. At least not in the simplest sense of a USB splitter. The problem with this is that the iPod (or any USB device) can't simultaneously connect to two separate USB host/controllers. The OEM stereo would need to be the one to establish that connection in order to actually control the iPod. The Pioneer would also need to establish the connection in order to pull audio because (if memory serves me) the Pioneer is pulling data from the iPod and bypassing the iPod's DAC.

Depending on the model of iPod, you might be able to tap the pins that carry audio out (the ones that would be in use if you were using an iPod speaker dock), however you're stuck using the iPod's relatively crappy DAC and an aux input on the Pioneer.

USB splitter cables (like the ones you're likely envisioning) are made to connect one device to multiple USB ports on the same host/controller so that additional power can be provided. USB protocol doesn't allow for multiple hosts to connect to one device at the same time. At least not in its intended use. There may be some way of hacking a device to bypass that, but I'm not aware of it if it exists.

I can't figure out where to stick this thing.
chesapeakesoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 chesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enoughchesapeakesoja will become famous soon enough

Delete!

I can't figure out where to stick this thing.

Last edited by chesapeakesoja; 12-30-2013 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Double post.
chesapeakesoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 12 luisc202 will become famous soon enoughluisc202 will become famous soon enoughluisc202 will become famous soon enoughluisc202 will become famous soon enoughluisc202 will become famous soon enoughluisc202 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWNeaves View Post
I am wanting to upgrade the sound system in my 2010 CTS-V with the bose system. I want to retain factory steering wheel controls and volume controls, the GM factory ipod control, all navigation/onstar/chime audio, all while maximizing sound quality. The stock bose system is annoying, as volume control is done in the OEM bose amplifier via GMLAN. The amp also does a host of digital processing and volume dependent EQing.

A member on this forum, Se7en, did an amazing install on an 09 with a bit one, but there was one thing that I (and I believe Se7en) thought could be improved. The bit one was either placed before the bose amp to avoid all the DSP (but you loose volume control), or after the bose amp to retain volume control but then be stuck with the volume dependent EQing and the signal being degraded by the bose amp. Also, Se7en seemed not particularly concerned with ipod playback, which I am.

I figured out a possible solution, but not sure if it will work, and if there are easier ways. Here is my plan:

1. Install a 80prs in the glove box or some other hidden area.
2. Use an axxess SWI to allow the 80prs to be controlled via the steering wheel controls
3. Send signal over RCA from 80prs to bit one and rest of system (3-way front with 8" in doors, 5" and tweets in kicks, sub in trunk). This effectively bypasses the bose amp, but still allows factory volume/steering wheel controls.
4. Use OEM system to control Ipod, but send ipod audio to 80prs as well. Get a USB splitter cable, to allow ipod to be connected to OEM system and 80prs simulataneously. Set 80prs to "Ipod Mode" control mode, so it does not control the ipod, but just takes audio signal of whatever the ipod happens to be playing.
5. Leave front driver side dash speaker connected to OEM bose system for nav/chime/onstar audio. Disconnect all other OEM speakers.

Will this plan work (I am mostly concerned with step 4)? Is there a simplier way to acheive what I am trying to do? Essentially, I am just using the 80prs as an interface to retain factory volume/ipod/steering wheel control and bypass the bose amp, while using the bitone.
Are you sure you loose volume placing the Bitone before the BOSE amp? I currently own a Bitone and was under the impression it would interface with any aftermarket setup without an issue.

2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L- Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS, ID Cxs64V2's F/R, 2 JL 8W7's in 2 JL Stealthboxes, JL HD600/4, JL HD750/1, and a BitOne.1
2006 Infiniti M- 2 JL HD 900/5 for mids,highs and 2 JL10W6V3
luisc202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 UWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enoughUWNeaves will become famous soon enough

Thanks for both of the replies! That does make sense about the ipod, as I suppose that would be similar to trying to plus an external usb HDD into two computers at the same time. I could tap the audio outs and feed that into the 80prs auxillary input, but ya, then I am stuck with the ipod DAC.

The bose system in the CTS is a bit weird. The audio signal(s) being sent to the amp are a constant level (not volume controlled). The volume, DSP, etc etc is all done in the bose amp via a GMLAN connection between the head unit and bose amp. So, to retain volume control without adding a 80prs (or other head unit with a steering wheel control interface), you need to tap the bose amp outputs, which I rather avoid. At least this is the way I understand it (might be wrong!).

If there was a way to take the volume control signal from the GMLAN and make the bit one read it, that would simplify things, but I have never heard of such a product.
UWNeaves is offline   Reply With Quote