Thoughts on zapco z series amps? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 33 ImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enough

Default Thoughts on zapco z series amps?

Was looking into the zapco z150.4, and 400.2 and z3kd, anybody with any experience with zapco?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HU: P99RS, Midbass: Beyma Pro 6wnd, Mid: L3se, Tweet: Beyma HT-45, Sub: (2) sundown sa-10, Amps: Zapco Z150.6lx, (2) z1kd strapped
ImLoudEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 114 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Thoughts on zapco z series amps?

Very Nice amps, I have seen a lot of installs with them. You need to make sure you have the space to place and secure them. Provide them with some clean power and I believe you should be good.

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 210 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

very very good amps

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 33 ImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enoughImLoudEK will become famous soon enough

Sweet I'm very interested to hear how they would sound if I'm using them to power my pro audio drivers

HU: P99RS, Midbass: Beyma Pro 6wnd, Mid: L3se, Tweet: Beyma HT-45, Sub: (2) sundown sa-10, Amps: Zapco Z150.6lx, (2) z1kd strapped
Old 12-02-2014   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Roper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enough

I've owned 8 zapco amps. I can't speak to those lines, but my ref were outstanding (older) my dc's ( less than 3 years old, two failed and another constantly overheated) were awful and the std series is not bad, but wouldnt buy again.

My biggest complaint is their customer service being horrid, they always make you feel like they are doing you a favor by speaking to you.

I think they used to offer a terrific product but no longer do. Just my .02.
Roper215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2014   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 80 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

I'll be running 4 of the new 150.2LX amps in my truck and I'm very excited! Im a long time Zapco fan. Still have 2 z220s from the late 80s that still work perfectly. Had one repaired but the other is all original

Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2014   #7

DIYMA freshman

It seems like zapco does have a lot of loyal followers but have fallen off in customer service I have heard their amps are now produced in Korea? Not saying that's a bad thing...still considering their products

Old 12-02-2014   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Roper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enoughRoper215 will become famous soon enough

Some of their amps are made in Korea, I think some are made in China. I know that from a look under the hood perspective, the quality of tooling used and craftsmanship is not adequately reflected in the price of the dc. Fan issues, extra big for no reason extruded housings to make people feel good, again I'm on my soap box, and im only speaking about the dc series.
Roper215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Richard

Rep Power: 111 papasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura about

I am running a pair of the Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Zs (LE Series), specifically, the Zapco Z150.4-LEs. These are based off the regular Z series, but here are a few things that are "upgrades" between the LE series and the regular Z series:
  1. Tiffany style bolt through RCA connectors
  2. Separate left and right channel gain controls for every channel and all other preamp controls are eliminated (no crossovers or filters and designed for a full active setup)
  3. Analog Devices OP 275 Op-amps
  4. Mica caps and Elna Simlic ll Eletrolytics
  5. Twin power supplies on the 150.4-LE, so basically has all the power of its 2 channel version

More info on the Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Zapcos can be found here: http://zapco.com/images/imageready/Product/z/LE.pdf

Gut shot pics from my build log

Prior to these, I ran a Mosconi A-class and a Mosconi Zero3. To say that the LE series had big shoes to fill is probably an understatement. But they are doing well and I am quite content. In fact, they did not disappoint in their first major outing against some pretty stiff competition.

papasin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 80 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Can't argue with success

Old 12-03-2014   #11

DIYMA freshman

That gut shot is pure sex

Old 12-03-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 114 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=papasin;2204702]I am running a pair of the Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Zs (LE Series), specifically, the Zapco Z150.4-LEs. These are based off the regular Z series, but here are a few things that are "upgrades" between the LE series and the regular Z series:
  1. Tiffany style bolt through RCA connectors
  2. Separate left and right channel gain controls for every channel and all other preamp controls are eliminated (no crossovers or filters and designed for a full active setup)
  3. Analog Devices OP 275 Op-amps
  4. Mica caps and Elna Simlic ll Eletrolytics
  5. Twin power supplies on the 150.4-LE, so basically has all the power of its 2 channel version

Gut shot pics from my build log

What are the weights of those amplifiers?

Huckleberry Sound
Old 12-03-2014   #13

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 83 Hammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enoughHammer1 will become famous soon enough

I was running all Zapco Z series amps and there processor. I had 4 of there amps go bad in a 6 month period. All with different problems. They were all Z 150.4s then tried a Z 150.6 and it went up in a cloud of smoke. When they worked I was very impressed with how they sounded but to many problems so I now run all Mosconi and have been trouble free. Had a friend running Z series amps including the Zk3d and had similar problems too, He is also running Mosconi now too

00 Dodge Ram Cummins Twin Turbo. IPad in the dash. Mosconi 6to8 Aerospace, Illusion Audio C8,C5, C12xl. Mosconi As200.4, As100.4.
Hammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2014   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 barracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enough

I was running a pair of "regular" Z150.4 in vertical amplification, and a Z400.2 for a pair of Image subs.
I recently changed both "regular" Z for LE ones. Results are really great with a better mixed sounds and better sound-stage.
Theses LE have even more power than regular Z and are heavier.
Definitely a great choice.

Hammer1, maybe the problems you experiment with 150.4 was with the first production bunch; they had some noise pulse in high frequency due to low current supply. Zapco made a recall for these. About the 6 channel, very rare. This is the first time I ear it one go in a smoke cloud...
We´ve got here more than 15 cars with Z amps, most of them with 6 channels running full systems, and none had problems of any kinds.

Zapco-Audiofrog-Eton-BG-Image Dynamics...

..and a beast in progress
barracuda777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2014   #15

DIYMA freshman

I'm having trouble finding the le editions

Old 12-17-2014   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

They're sold out

Old 12-17-2014   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 barracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enoughbarracuda777 will become famous soon enough

Z150.4 LX are available. So don´t worry, same guts.

Old 12-17-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 119 Bluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enough

Are the Z LX versions shipping yet

In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time.

- Charles Mingus
Bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2014   #19

DIYMA freshman

[
I'm in like Sam Flynn

Old 12-17-2014   #20

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Are the Z LX versions shipping yet
Available since November. I guess local distributor can gave you some info about them.

Z150.6LX is available since August/September
For example, this is the Z150.6LX. Almost 2 inches longer than regular Z-6 channel and much heavier.

Old 12-17-2014   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 119 Bluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enough

Whoa! Thanks!

In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time.

- Charles Mingus
Bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2015   #22

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 113 shutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda777 View Post
Available since November. I guess local distributor can gave you some info about them.

Z150.6LX is available since August/September
For example, this is the Z150.6LX. Almost 2 inches longer than regular Z-6 channel and much heavier.

can you take a close up on the brass placard? I want to see what they're putting on the LX amps.

Team Zapco
shutmdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2015   #23

DIYMA freshman

I have no more LX, so I grab a pic from internet:
Here you have the 6LX plate.
Almost the same as 2 and 4 channels but without legend "Limited Edition"

Old 01-06-2015   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Just had these installed by JT Audio and I'm lovin em!

Sent from my mind using telekinesis

Old 01-06-2015   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Ear View Post

Just had these installed by JT Audio and I'm lovin em!

Sent from my mind using telekinesis
What does the rest of the system consist of. Are those the 150.2 or 150.4? LE or LX?

Huckleberry Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement