Major SQ upgrade for 2014 Accord Coupe - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 MA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enough

Default Major SQ upgrade for 2014 Accord Coupe

Noob to DIYMA so be kind Been reading, learning, searching for some months now as I finished a DIY Bill Fitzmaurice AutoTuba. I had fun building the sub but my DIY skills/patience don't extend to a whole system for my Honda. After calling around and visiting some shops in the Boston area I think I found my shop/guy.

Matt at Luxury Details in Framingham MA seems head and shoulders above the other shops/guys I talked with. He knocked me star struck with his demo vehicle - his own Lambo Gallardo with a Kenwood/Focal system! Other places had no demo vehicles. Currently considering for install next week:

Kenwood 6703S HU
Dynamat Xtreme in doors, trunk rear deck and floor
Focal K2 2-way comp set
Focal FDP6.900U six channel amp
AT in trunk
remove factory fill speakers on rear deck leaving those holes open for bass to enter cabin
setup/eq/TA/tuning will be done with the HU and amp - no additional DSP currently planned

I've learned so much about my Car from reading KHA's recent thread and understand that by replacing my OEM HU I'll lose the 7" display and access to some settings.

I listen to a broad range of music including classical, prog rock (e.g. Steven Wilson, Tull, OSI), Celtic (e.g. Solas), singer/songwriters (e.g. James Taylor, Patti Griffin) and lots of jazz (e.g. Dave Weckl, Return To Forever)

Any feedback especially from those with experience with this shop/owner, experience with late model Accords and those that have integrated an AutoTuba welcome.
MA043HA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2016   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 26 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Major SQ upgrade for 2014 Accord Coupe

U don't have to lose your screen and/or features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 26 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Check out Andy's 2014 Honda Accord for some help with your setup questions. A few other 2014 Honda's have done builds on here as well.

Andy's 2014 Honda Accord Sport

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t

Old 11-09-2016   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 MA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enoughMA043HA will become famous soon enough

Thanks MrGreen83. Interesting options for the HU! I'm going to visit my installer tonight to listen to his Lambo with some of my own music. Any advice about what I should be asking him or listening for in this stage before he actually does any work on my car?

thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2016   #5

DIYMA freshman

I'm dubious but my installer is convinced that the latest Metra kit has overcome the previous issues. The Car goes in on Monday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...-7804B_web.pdf

Last edited by MA043HA; 11-10-2016 at 09:20 AM..
Old 11-17-2016   #6

DIYMA freshman

Some shots of my work on the sub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FoldedHornAutoTuba.jpg (101.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg FoldedHornAT.jpg (107.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DaytonPro13Gauge.jpg (116.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 11-17-2016   #7

DIYMA freshman

more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mouth2.jpg (112.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg YesWeatherStripping.jpg (107.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg SpeakOn.jpg (101.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 11-17-2016   #8

DIYMA freshman

1 more and a couple of Matt's work. Full AutoTuba Build thread is here: Auto Tuba for Accord Coupe - BillFitzmaurice.info
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LittleSis.jpg (130.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg LeftDoorDynamatResize.jpg (159.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg RightDoorDynamatResize.jpg (163.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 11-17-2016   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 112 Lycancatt will become famous soon enoughLycancatt will become famous soon enoughLycancatt will become famous soon enoughLycancatt will become famous soon enoughLycancatt will become famous soon enoughLycancatt will become famous soon enoughLycancatt will become famous soon enoughLycancatt will become famous soon enough

what driver does bill suggest for that sub? I use eight of the tuba sixty slim subs regularly and really like his designs..but not the mid/high ones at all.

if you can swing it, the focal flax 2 way kit is leaps and bounds above the k2 series and really sounds better to quite a few ears.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016   #10

DIYMA freshman

Hi Lycancatt, BFM recommends several 8" and 10" drivers for the AT. I used the readily available Dayton DC s255 4 10".

Flax eh? I went with the K2 because I got a good deal on the "almost new" set from the installer.

Getting excited as the system may be done tomorrow
Old 11-20-2016   #11

DIYMA Novice

Default Major SQ upgrade for 2014 Accord Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post
what driver does bill suggest for that sub? I use eight of the tuba sixty slim subs regularly and really like his designs..but not the mid/high ones at all.

if you can swing it, the focal flax 2 way kit is leaps and bounds above the k2 series and really sounds better to quite a few ears.

Really? I always thought the K2 Power was advertised right under the Utopia. But I was VERY impressed by the Flax subwoofers (especially for the price given to me). Haven't heard the regular speakers

Old 12-02-2016   #12

DIYMA freshman

Overdue update. Got my Car back on saturday 11/19 after it had been worked on since the previous Monday. Matt helped me adjust the sub integration as I immediately wanted more midbass punch (kick drum in the chest). Running up the AT x-over too high however just made the bass localize in the rear. Initial impression - system sounds very loud and clear compared to factory. Soundstage is down in the dash despite tweeters at dash level. I'd like to tune to get soundstage on top of dash/hood. Matt says the HU unit distorts above 32-35 but seems plenty loud below that! Rear camera and steering wheel hands-free calling buttons not working through Metra system yet.

On Thanksgiving morning on the way to the family gathering I was out on the highway and playing with the iphone connected via usb not just bluetooth so I get CarPlay. Pretty cool. I had it pretty loud but not maxed out at one point and loudly said "Hey Siri" just to see if she would activate that way instead of touchscreen. Must have been an odd coincidence but as soon as I said that the sound got much quieter and very distorted. All inputs had same issue.

I turned it off and tried it later after thanksgiving family gathering. Nothing. Nada. No sound. Previously the amp had come on with a "thump". Now nothing. Checked the amp. Not lighting up in any way and stone cold. HU seems normal. Matt was open the next day after Thanksgiving. He advised checking the fuse at the battery and resetting if popped open. It was not popped. Brought it in. He confirmed that it was not coming on despite proper voltage from battery and power-on cable. He promised to get another amp from Focal when they open on Monday 11/28 for possible arrival when I could bring it in next - wednesday 11/30. He called me Monday to say that they won't just ship another one but want him to open it up and check the internal fuses.

Wednesday 11/30 - Almost 1 week with no working system in the car. Brought Car in. Matt opened up amp and found all three fuses blown and a burned spot with burned smell. Unclear why this happened. I brought the original box with me in case it needed to go back and it is on its way with possible replacement arriving by tomorrow (Saturday) or by next Wednesday. I'm waiting on some questions to Matt including:

Can we know which channel(s) caused failure?

What sub high-pass frequency and slope did he have it set at?

Once the new one is installed is there some way to test if the amp is under stress?

I currently have a partially working system with an Alpine 2 channel amp going through the passive x-overs and no sub. He got the steering wheel hands-free voice/pickup/hangup controls working.

Matt said this is the first time he has seen a Focal amp fail like this...
Old 12-11-2016   #13

DIYMA freshman

The new amp was installed and configured by Matt last Wednesday so I've had a few days to play with it. It's setup the same way as before with 4 channels biamping the component set through the Focal passive xover and the AT on one channel leaving one channel free. The amp is highpassing the AT at about 37Hz 12db/octave and lowpassing it about 120Hz 12db/octave. The slope isn't adjustable but could be if I started using the HU to set xover which it is not doing at all now.

When I asked Matt what he thought had blown the amp he said he didn't know but the only thing not fully known to him is the AT. He later offered that I "try" one of his small ready-made JL audio ported subs but I told him I was pretty attached to making the AT work at its best.

The system sounds good now - very "clear" is how my guest listeners describe it and I concur. All the instrumental lines I was missing with the OEM system are back. The AT with the "sub knob" in the middle range sounds good on most music lending a nice fullness and punch to the bass. It's easy to turn it up too much not in terms of loudness but to the point where the bass gets localized in the rear of the car.

Loudness (volume range) is down compared to Matt's original settings. He says the Kenwood HU begins to distort about "32-35" on its volume scale. At "30" it's loud but not really so much. I wouldn't want it any less at 70 mph. I suspect he turned down the gain overall hoping not to blow another amp.
Old 12-12-2016   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

That's a high low pass on the sub for sure!

Where are you located again?
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016   #15

DIYMA freshman

I'm disappointed that my installer isn't a better tuner. What tuning we've done is basic adjustments on the amp and only by ear - no measuring. I wanna learn how to take what I've got to the next level(s) through tuning and possibly move to full DSP of some kind.

Right now I'm taking it slow, getting used to the sound of the "raw" system and making a change on the amp then listening at least for a few days before making another change.

One good quality of the system is that it's quite revealing of sources - usb better than bluetooth better than HD FM better than plain ole FM. The mixing and mastering of music is revealed too. No homogeneous sound here.

I live in Upton and work in Waltham.
Old 12-13-2016   #16

DIYMA freshman

Focal amp manual:

http://www.focal-america.com/wp-cont...6900Manual.pdf
Old 12-14-2016   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

I work in Woburn, we could get together for a tuning session some day, let me know if you're interested.
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2016   #18

DIYMA freshman

Thanks Igor, I will. It was fun meeting you in Lynn and hearing your system.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Denslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enough

Good luck on your accord . Here Is what bing did for mine. Lycancatt retuned it about a year ago and sounds amazing

Quick Log - Simple Space Saving SQ - 2013 Accord Sedan - Illusion, Arc, Alpine, RF
Denslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 8 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denslayer View Post
Good luck on your accord . Here Is what bing did for mine. Lycancatt retuned it about a year ago and sounds amazing

Quick Log - Simple Space Saving SQ - 2013 Accord Sedan - Illusion, Arc, Alpine, RF
That Car has been an inspiration to me on my install! What exactly did he do? I was always confused why he used the Speaker level inputs into the ALD. Reading the ald manual it doesnt specifically state it has low level Balanced diff inputs so I guess the Speaker level was all that was able to be used. Anyway I just tapped the pre amp balanced diff wires to an rca adapter straight into my XDi and JBL MS-A series which has Balanced diff RCA inputs. No noise or issues. Also havent found the stock pre amp output to be low at nearly 3v. So maybe they changed it on the EXL '15s?
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Denslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enoughDenslayer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
That Car has been an inspiration to me on my install! What exactly did he do? I was always confused why he used the Speaker level inputs into the ALD. Reading the ald manual it doesnt specifically state it has low level Balanced diff inputs so I guess the Speaker level was all that was able to be used. Anyway I just tapped the pre amp balanced diff wires to an rca adapter straight into my XDi and JBL MS-A series which has Balanced diff RCA inputs. No noise or issues. Also havent found the stock pre amp output to be low at nearly 3v. So maybe they changed it on the EXL '15s?
I honestly have no clue about What exactly he did. During the install he stated that The output from the Stock HU was .5 volts with a mix of balanced and unbalanced . Thats why he used signal amps. Also upon reading the honda accord forums I would think twice about using that metra kit
Denslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #22

DIYMA freshman

Thanks for the link guys. I'd love to hear that system.

I've been distracted from doing much with my system by mysterious drop outs mostly when playing disks. At first I thought it was the transport/laser because my old changer would skip over rough roads but this isn't caused by that. Seems random, may or may not happen on any particular disk or track, early in ride or later, cold or warmed up. All sound cuts out and may or may not return. I've had to stop the Car and restart to get it working again a coupla times. Still under warranty I guess I'll get the installer to look at it.

I bridged channel 5+6 to the sub which gives 24db/octave xovers in the amp. I like the sound much better with less midbass in the sub. Could have done the same thing from the HU.

Bought an MS-8-Z refurbished from Harman. It arrived complete and like new with all the accessories. I'm talking to my installer about integrating this dsp but in the meantime couldn't resist trying it in my living room system. I run a fairly purist 2 channel rig with modded Khorns powered by audio Horizon tube preamp and VTL TT monoblocks - no tone controls. I recently added a DIY BFM THT low profile as a replacement for the coffee table. For this experiment I added center and rear/side speakers powered by the MS-8 which was itself powered by a Victory Sonics PS.

I wasn't sure the MS-8 would even be able to calibrate in a living room but it did well. Interesting to be able to switch out the Logic7 and processing to hear what it's doing. Good fun for an afternoon/evening off from work. I still like the regular 2 channel with horn loaded sub adding subtle depth and facile power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HUfirstGoingIn.jpg (76.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg MS-8withVictorySonicsPSinLivingRoom.jpg (115.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg MS-8andPSclose.jpg (144.4 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement