Upgrading Components To SPL Sound! - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 192 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Upgrading Components To SPL Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorXJ View Post
So basically your saying if I go to an 8" driver, my options broaden because they can play louder (db) and over a wider frequency range??
yup. broaden by a boatload

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 SeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
yup. broaden by a boatload
Out of curiosity, list me a few 8" drivers that can play lower (below 100hz) and still have a high db?
SeniorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 50 Zippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
thats the thing though.. the hertz arent exactly of good quality lol. i think the name and high price has you confused, just like many others.
Is this more of you hating all things elettromedia or have you actually heard them properly installed?

I've heard the SPL Show installed on a Bike and was floored at the clarity of the tweeters + mids and impact of the woofers. Yes, they did a 3-way setup with the horns and 6.5" mids in the fairing with the 8" woofers sealed in the bags. They were under powered also. 2 x RF Power T400X4AD powering the entire bike. As far as how loud they got, I could clearly hear details in the tracks a good 40 ft away from the bike. I didn't want to get closer than 10 ft from the bike. The decibels were just too much. With a helmet on, I would have been willing to get on the bike with the stereo going.

07 Rav4: NEX8000, 360.3, Voce 3.0, Voce 1.1, JL ZR800, Silver Flute 6.5", Seas 27TAFNC/G, JL 12W6V3, T15004, T8002, T500-bdCP
2013 BRZ
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 192 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
Is this more of you hating all things elettromedia or have you actually heard them properly installed?

I've heard the SPL Show installed on a Bike and was floored at the clarity of the tweeters + mids and impact of the woofers. Yes, they did a 3-way setup with the horns and 6.5" mids in the fairing with the 8" woofers sealed in the bags. They were under powered also. 2 x RF Power T400X4AD powering the entire bike. As far as how loud they got, I could clearly hear details in the tracks a good 40 ft away from the bike. I didn't want to get closer than 10 ft from the bike. The decibels were just too much. With a helmet on, I would have been willing to get on the bike with the stereo going.
I used to work for elletromedia dealer. It's all we installed. On top of that, I live in NY metro area where if your into Car audio there's a 99% chance your using pro audio drivers. I've got to experience plenty with both. Now go look at something like hertz vs beyma and tell me which one you would pick

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Out of curiosity, list me a few 8" drivers that can play lower (below 100hz) and still have a high db?
The go to is the beyma 8g40. Some others use b&c and it's a bit early in the morning to remember the model number

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 26 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Default Upgrading Components To SPL Sound!

Quote:
Anybody know why Hertz SV 165.1 doesn't list an rms wattage? OR know what it is?

Also, I seem to be stuck on the Hertz due to piece of mind in quality, but would other cheaper mid range drivers sound good in QUALITY that have the same specs? I ask cause others have suggested other drivers that I've never heard of?

To answer ur QUESTION....like some won't do....

200 RMS, 400 peak. Sensitivity 97...sheesh. These things are gonna run u outta the Car lls.

But there are plenty of drivers from plenty of manufacturers (more expensive AND cheaper) that will do the job. Buy what u want to buy. Nobody can tell you what you'll like. We all hear differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 50 Zippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enoughZippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I used to work for elletromedia dealer. It's all we installed. On top of that, I live in NY metro area where if your into Car audio there's a 99% chance your using pro audio drivers. I've got to experience plenty with both. Now go look at something like hertz vs beyma and tell me which one you would pick

I have heard both. They both are good brands. The hertz 8's played lower though and blended better. Maybe I just heard a better tune on the Hertz speakers? Either way, both are good brands. Quit trying to make up the guys mind for him and let him pick what he wants. Props for bringing up the other brands though to expand options.

07 Rav4: NEX8000, 360.3, Voce 3.0, Voce 1.1, JL ZR800, Silver Flute 6.5", Seas 27TAFNC/G, JL 12W6V3, T15004, T8002, T500-bdCP
2013 BRZ
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Maybe I just heard a better tune on the Hertz speakers?
im going to have to say this. you think a driver with an FS of 120hz and 1.5mm of xmax is going to play lower and cleaner than a driver with an FS of 70hz and has 5mm xmax? lets not forget that hertz also overstates their sensitivity ratings.

also, which one would you want to use? one that has a relatively flat frequency response up to 4k (+-3db), or one that has a 10db swing up to 4k?

im not trying to make the guys mind up for him, but i am here to help. its clear which one is the better option and ill do the best i can to help him make the better choice instead of just throwing out my favorite brands name

reason i didnt answer your question about RMS is because its not nearly as important as people make it out to be. we listen to music, not 0db ref. level tones

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
im going to have to say this. you think a driver with an FS of 120hz and 1.5mm of xmax is going to play lower and cleaner than a driver with an FS of 70hz and has 5mm xmax? lets not forget that hertz also overstates their sensitivity ratings.

also, which one would you want to use? one that has a relatively flat frequency response up to 4k (+-3db), or one that has a 10db swing up to 4k?

im not trying to make the guys mind up for him, but i am here to help. its clear which one is the better option and ill do the best i can to help him make the better choice instead of just throwing out my favorite brands name

reason i didnt answer your question about RMS is because its not nearly as important as people make it out to be. we listen to music, not 0db ref. level tones
Where are you getting those specs for the SV200L? Xmax 4.5mm and fs 44 Hz. You are just a fountain of misinformation today.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

2013 BRZ
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Where are you getting those specs for the SV200L? Xmax 4.5mm and fs 44 Hz. You are just a fountain of misinformation today.

Here is a link to the specs.

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/wp-co...V200L_tech.pdf

2013 BRZ
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 170 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frijoles24 View Post
try the fi audio's midbass .7 and let us know. I know fi builds massive subs that can really take beatings without skipping. im curious to know about their new speaker
Well well! That does look interesting doesn't it. Hadn't seen this one.
Fi N.7

2008 Civic Si Sedan - 80PRS, Helix DSP, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:

im looking at their 200.1 L. no one mentioned 200L. i figured you would have had half a clue that that one wouldnt fit the OP's needs. my bad. i guess i really do need to stop assuming. the 200L doesnt come very close as a pro audio driver. it averages around 90db sensitivity, which is pretty much the upper end for a traditional driver. the OP needs something with more.

heres some much better options for the OP

B&C 8MBX51 8" Professional Neodymium Woofer 8 Ohm

B&C 8NDL64 8" Neodymium Woofer

FaitalPRO 8FE200 8" Professional Midbass 4 Ohm

Beyma speakers - Beyma 8G40 Speaker - Beyma 8G40 500 watt 8" Speaker for all bass applications. Beyma 8G40 bass speaker and other Beyma 8" speakers here.

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Fi N.7
as chris pointed out.. their specs are probably super overstated. they have the same basket as the hybrid l6 which has a suspension limited xmax of 3mm. unless they totally revamped the suspension, theres no way they have 10mm one way. also, no frequency/impedance diagrams? pass. they also dont really fit the OP's goals

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #39

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 87 sunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enoughsunshinefc3s will become famous soon enough

This is a lifted jeep? All show or go too? Off road?

Proaudio may not stand up to the elements as well. Just a consideration.

'06 Mazdaspeed6 - Ms-8 / Zuki Eleets5 / TM65 & KAXBLTWT / Boston G5.
'87 Mazda Rx-7 with Ls1 swap - Alpine 149 / PG Ti500.4 & Ti600.2 / PHD Fb6.1 Pro / Boston G3.
'91 Mustang 'Vert - Alpine 148 / Pioneer Stage 4 amps / Polk MM6500 / Boston G3.
sunshinefc3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
im looking at their 200.1 L. no one mentioned 200L. i figured you would have had half a clue that that one wouldnt fit the OP's needs. my bad. i guess i really do need to stop assuming. the 200L doesnt come very close as a pro audio driver. it averages around 90db sensitivity, which is pretty much the upper end for a traditional driver. the OP needs something with more.
Where did I ever refer to the Hertz 8" driver as anything other than a woofer. They only have one driver referred to as a woofer. You are not paying attention to what anyone else has posted and jumping to conclusion without any facts. The difference between pro drivers and traditional drivers is in manufacturing and design, not specs(Those are byproducts). You need to step away and stop doing more harm than good.

2013 BRZ
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #41
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Where did I ever refer to the Hertz 8" driver as anything other than a woofer. They only have one driver referred to as a woofer. You are not paying attention to what anyone else has posted and jumping to conclusion without any facts. The difference between pro drivers and traditional drivers is in manufacturing and design, not specs(Those are byproducts). You need to step away and stop doing more harm than good.
Well then you must just have a nak really poor suggestions. Also, design and specs go hand in hand. Engineers aim for a goal that is very much determined by, you guessed it, specs. And manufacturing? What's different about manufacturing a pro audio style driver from a traditional style driver?

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Well then you must just have a nak really poor suggestions. Also, design and specs go hand in hand. Engineers aim for a goal that is very much determined by, you guessed it, specs. And manufacturing? What's different about manufacturing a pro audio style driver from a traditional style driver?

The mechanics of how a driver produces sound is much different between a traditional driver and pro driver. Yes, higher spl is what lead to the different design of pro audio drivers, but it does not define what is or is not a pro audio driver. That is strictly a function of manufacturing and design. Pro audio drivers are designed to get louder and maintain their dispersion patterns in the process. This is why baskets, spiders, etc are much different in design and appearance. More often than not getting louder equates to giving up sound quality. The pro audio drivers that do not get as loud have a tendency to sound better than others that get louder.

The only poor suggestion I have made is giving you props for suggesting other drivers and providing options. I now retract that.

2013 BRZ
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #43
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
The mechanics of how a driver produces sound is much different between a traditional driver and pro driver. Yes, higher spl is what lead to the different design of pro audio drivers, but it does not define what is or is not a pro audio driver. That is strictly a function of manufacturing and design. Pro audio drivers are designed to get louder and maintain their dispersion patterns in the process. This is why baskets, spiders, etc are much different in design and appearance. More often than not getting louder equates to giving up sound quality. The pro audio drivers that do not get as loud have a tendency to sound better than others that get louder.

The only poor suggestion I have made is giving you props for suggesting other drivers and providing options. I now retract that.
The mechanics is different? What the hell are you talking about? The only thing that really separates pro audio drivers from traditional ones is a stiffer suspension and lower qts as a resonant frequency for spl trade off. Not sure how far into your ass your reaching to come up with that they have "different mechanics". Dispersion patterns are mostly a function of cone size. Maintaining Dispersion patterns for pro audio is more in the enclosure style. Not the driver itself. But if you want to talk about Dispersion patterns, go back to the hertz graph I posted. They do a greaaaat job *rolls eyes*.. "pro audio drivers that do not get as loud tend to sound better than ones that get louder".. well now I know for a fact that your spewing this all out of your ass without a clue on what your talking about.

To the OP, good luck

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #44

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 26 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

To the OP....at the end of the day you can read a thousand comments about which speakers will best suit your situation. My advice....just get something reputable that u think will do the job. As long as u aren't buying something cheap/crappy, you should be able to tune it to your liking

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
The mechanics is different? What the hell are you talking about? The only thing that really separates pro audio drivers from traditional ones is a stiffer suspension and lower qts as a resonant frequency for spl trade off. Not sure how far into your ass your reaching to come up with that they have "different mechanics". Dispersion patterns are mostly a function of cone size. Maintaining Dispersion patterns for pro audio is more in the enclosure style. Not the driver itself. But if you want to talk about Dispersion patterns, go back to the hertz graph I posted. They do a greaaaat job *rolls eyes*.. "pro audio drivers that do not get as loud tend to sound better than ones that get louder".. well now I know for a fact that your spewing this all out of your ass without a clue on what your talking about.

To the OP, good luck

You clearly are in the dark. Yes, dispersion is defined by the diameter of the Speaker out to a certain distance. Pro drivers take that field out to a greater distance. The stiffer suspension is to allow for more control over a higher Power handling. It also reduces xmax as a result. The baskets also are designed to handle the increased forceful movement of the driver. Specs alone do not determine if a driver is pro or traditional as you claim.

"pro audio drivers that do not get as loud tend to sound better than ones that get louder" I miss worded that. It should have been sounds more dynamic instead of sounds better. I am amazed that you actually read it and didn't come to some assumption based upon nothing stated!

OP, go with your own pick. Do the research and then chose.

2013 BRZ

Last edited by Zippy; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:22 PM..
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #46

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 35 chasinbass will become famous soon enoughchasinbass will become famous soon enoughchasinbass will become famous soon enoughchasinbass will become famous soon enoughchasinbass will become famous soon enoughchasinbass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Fi N.7
Ya I was thinking about replacing the two pair anarchys I have in my sealed doors with these and Fi makes awesome products. Then I ran across this thread and I am learning alot. I really know very little about speakers and specs but am trying to learn. One thing about the Fi s is that they will fit in place of the anarchys and I know thats not really a good thing to limit myself to only speakers that fit but I just built and and modifided doors and fiberglassed door panels and 8s are two big for the location. Is there anything better I should be looking at in 6.5 - 7 inch ?

Pioneer PRS80,PPI 900.4,,CDT HD 100 And CDT HD-2/BLs, Anarchy Mid Bass 2 pr, 2x18" Fi Teams on 15000w Taramps 14Cf @36hz 2x 10.5 octos, 3xalts and 5 gp 31 batts.
http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/sh...ed-from-CA-com
chasinbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
You clearly are in the dark. Yes, dispersion is defined by the diameter of the Speaker out to a certain distance. Pro drivers take that field out to a greater distance. The stiffer suspension is to allow for more control over a higher Power handling. It also reduces xmax as a result. The baskets also are designed to handle the increased forceful movement of the driver. Specs alone do not determine if a driver is pro or traditional as you claim.

"pro audio drivers that do not get as loud tend to sound better than ones that get louder" I miss worded that. It should have been sounds more dynamic instead of sounds better. I am amazed that you actually read it and didn't come to some assumption based upon nothing stated!

OP, go with your own pick. Do the research and then chose.
So pro audio drivers defy physics? Interesting. Also, stiffening suspension does NOT lower xmax. I suggest reading something like loudspeaker cookbook before you start spreading more misinformation

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
So pro audio drivers defy physics? Interesting. Also, stiffening suspension does NOT lower xmax. I suggest reading something like loudspeaker cookbook before you start spreading more misinformation

Lets talk physics. stiffening the suspension of the spider. Here's a homework project for you in physics taken to an extreme. Spray the spider of a Speaker with activated resin until it's solid. According to you the distance the Speaker can travel has not changed at all even though it is no longer capable of movement. That's taking stiffening of the spider to an extreme but still proves the point.

I'm thinking this is another case of you not knowing what you are talking about and just accusing others of not knowing what they are talking about. Example below.

Quote:
And to counter that argument, some people like to think they're hearing things that they are actually not hearing. Aka, psycho acoustics. Just like how you told me my Car stages 5+ feet outside the boundaries of the Car (which is false, it stays at the very edge of the cars boundaries unfortunately). Also like how you told me a full moon makes your bass sound deeper and louder back when I tuned your truck. That is also 110% false. Psycho acoustics is a real bitch. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Quote:
And to counter this point.....If it were not for psycho acoustics we would not have a center image, sound stage, depth of field, etc. SQ is working sound reproduction towards psycho acoustic effects.
Quote:
That's not psycho acoustics though... Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Oh yes it is. Where is the speaker producing sound at center stage and all the positions between my left and right channels if it's not? We are conditioned mentally by what we have heard to place the source of sounds even if there is no source there. That is by definition psychoacoustics.
Quote:
our brain working in conjunction with our ears that has a proven and repeatable outcome is not psychoacoustics. just because you dont (or even i completely for that matter) understand it, doesnt mean its psycho-acoustics
Quote:
If I don't understand psychoacoustics, then why are you the only one who disagrees on this thread. I've read up on it quite a bit and several write ups on it use stereo imaging as an example of psychoacoustic. I'm done with this at this point.
I'm done wasting time on you. Ignoring this tread from here on out.

2013 BRZ
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49

DIYMA Novice

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Lets talk physics. stiffening the suspension of the spider. Here's a homework project for you in physics taken to an extreme. Spray the spider of a Speaker with activated resin until it's solid. According to you the distance the Speaker can travel has not changed at all even though it is no longer capable of movement. That's taking stiffening of the spider to an extreme but still proves the point.

I'm thinking this is another case of you not knowing what you are talking about and just accusing others of not knowing what they are talking about. Example below.

I'm done wasting time on you. Ignoring this tread from here on out.

jeez, you really like making yourself look stupid, dont you? your little exercise is pretty ridiculous so i wont even entertain it. but xmax is defined a few ways. one is related to voice coil height and magnetic gap, and/or suspension/distortion defined. and your sound localization replies..i forgot that was you and im so glad you brought that up. localization is very far from psycho acoustics, unless you have a wrong definition of psycho acoustics. please do at least SOME searching and reading before you post. the shit you post might spread

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization

1990 300zx Build Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement