Upgrading Components To SPL Sound! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 SeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enough

Question Upgrading Components To SPL Sound!

I am replacing my JBL MS 62's that have been fixed & re-soldered more times then I care to count. These are going in a lifted jeep and I want to head in the SPL direction. I also HATE distortion so they NEED to be clear at ear bleeding levels!! The doors are properly deadened, the head unit is a Pioneer 80PRS and the amp is a Precision Power BK800.4 class AB 4 channel.

My first thought was to replace the woofers with something like a set of Hertz SV 165.1 400 watt midranges and bridge the amp for a single set of components as my front stage, but I have no idea how they would sound off the JBL crossover.

My 2nd thought was a set of RE audio xxx6.5c components which are 2 ohms so I wouldn't need to bridge the amp & would have the option to add another set of speakers to the front stage, but am unsure of there audio quality.

Of course a third option is to run the front stage active, but I really suck at understanding crossover points and slope settings. If I did do this I would probably go with the Hertz and a set of super tweeters. Just wouldn't be sure that the 130 watts is enough at 4 ohms since I would need all 4 channels to run it active.

A side note, its a single sub system (Pioneer 3004SPL 12") but am building a new box at the moment and may move to a DC level 4 1 ohm sub.

As you can see, I need some help deciding this and am open to any other Speaker brand suggestions or setup ideas. The end game is LOUD and CLEAR!!

Thanks!!
SeniorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 123 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Upgrading Components To SPL Sound!

The only way you're going to achieve that kind of full range output in a car, is with pro audio drivers. An 8-10" Mid or bigger, and HLCD's.

2016 Civic Turbo Coupe
-Alpine, Arc Audio, Cardas, Hybrid Audio, JL Audio
And a closet full of $hit I'll never use.....
mmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 26 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Default Upgrading Components To SPL Sound!

Why not the SPL (show or monster) drivers from Hertz? That is what they're made for....no crossovers, run active

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 26 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Default Upgrading Components To SPL Sound!

U have me looking at those PPI amps now lol. They don't cost anything! Big Power numbers and mostly Class AB. Hmmm I'm gonna have to check them out

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 SeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enoughSeniorXJ will become famous soon enough

Question Re: Upgrading Components To SPL Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen83 View Post
Why not the SPL (show or monster) drivers from Hertz? That is what they're made for....no crossovers, run active

Well yeah, replacing the JBL's with these was my first idea... Only problem is running them active means i'll only get 130 watts to them which is under powering them. I would have to bridge my 4ch to get 400 watts to them and then I have no tweeters. I know its not ideal, but would they work good off of the JBL crossovers?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 85 Frijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished road

try the fi audio's midbass .7 and let us know. I know fi builds massive subs that can really take beatings without skipping. im curious to know about their new speaker
Frijoles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 192 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

because theyre trash.. why not use a decent pro audio driver that also doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

start here..

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
because theyre trash.. why not use a decent pro audio driver that also doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

start here..

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

U came here to respond to the OP or to talk to me? I'm confused

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 192 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
U came here to respond to the OP or to talk to me? I'm confused

if you read my full response, a little of both

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

DIYMA freshman

I'm starting to lean towards buying a new component set all together. Been looking at Hertz HSK's or a set of CDT HD 62. Those RE Audio's still have my attention due to the 2 ohm drivers that will pull 200 watts out of my amp compared to the 130 at 4 ohms. Anyone care to comment on the RE audio xxx6.5c components?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 49 Arete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorXJ View Post
Quote:

Well yeah, replacing the JBL's with these was my first idea... Only problem is running them active means i'll only get 130 watts to them which is under powering them. I would have to bridge my 4ch to get 400 watts to them and then I have no tweeters. I know its not ideal, but would they work good off of the JBL crossovers?

Here you mentioned under powering pro audio drivers. I really wouldn't worry about that when you are talking about pro audio drivers. Remember that you have to double the Power for a 3 DB increase so once you have 100 watts to a Speaker you would have to then double that amount of Power for that 3dd increase. So a difference of 50 watts may not even be noticed. Also pro audio drivers tend to be very efficient. 92db at 1w/1m or higher in some cases. If you are going for SPL then I would highly recommend paying close attention to this spec. You will want plenty of volume to keep up with your subs. Another driver to add to your list that I think is known for efficiency is the IDXS 65s. I've read people used those with horns.
Arete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 49 Arete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enough

Here is a link to add to my comment. http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/te...ifier-loudness
Arete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
I'm starting to lean towards buying a new component set all together. Been looking at Hertz HSK's or a set of CDT HD 62. Those RE Audio's still have my attention due to the 2 ohm drivers that will pull 200 watts out of my amp compared to the 130 at 4 ohms. Anyone care to comment on the RE audio xxx6.5c components?
neither of these will be nearly as loud as a proper pro audio setup. seriously, look into pro audio 8's like the beyma 8g40's and some HLCD's

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
neither of these will be nearly as loud as a proper pro audio setup. seriously, look into pro audio 8's like the beyma 8g40's and some HLCD's
Well I meant it as heading towards the SPL sound as opposed to audiophile. This is still a single sub system.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arete View Post
Here is a link to add to my comment. http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/te...ifier-loudness
Thank you for this. I have been reading on this and much more to figure out what to buy that will satisfy me. I am now leaning towards those Hertz SV 165.1 and maybe a set of Hertz ST 25 tweeters that are 107db. I'm sure this will be a big improvement over the JBL MS62 components. Now the hard part is learning how to run them active!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Well I meant it as heading towards the SPL sound as opposed to audiophile. This is still a single sub system.
yeah, you can do that the way i mentioned.. a good pro audio midbass or two, and a larger hlcd.. those types of setups fucking scream. the JBL compression drivers i have are something like 113db sensitive while sounding good and able to play low. theyre just big

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 BIOHAZARDCYCLES will become famous soon enoughBIOHAZARDCYCLES will become famous soon enoughBIOHAZARDCYCLES will become famous soon enoughBIOHAZARDCYCLES will become famous soon enoughBIOHAZARDCYCLES will become famous soon enoughBIOHAZARDCYCLES will become famous soon enough

i have 2 sets of the RE and they sound like poop
BIOHAZARDCYCLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

I will never forget hearing this 300 that pulled into a show I was at going back a few years. He had a horn / dual 8 in the front doors and a horn / single 8 in the rear doors, that Car was like a rolling night club. I've heard plenty of bass, but the mids and hi's from that Car made me smile. I talked to the owner and he said he was using Selenium drivers.

Kenwood DNX5120 - MS8 - 2 x PPI Art Ax400 - JBL GTO 1200.1ii - Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020 - Morel CAW938's - 2 x JBL P1222
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19

DIYMA freshman

Anybody know why Hertz SV 165.1 doesn't list an rms wattage? OR know what it is?

Also, I seem to be stuck on the Hertz due to piece of mind in quality, but would other cheaper mid range drivers sound good in QUALITY that have the same specs? I ask cause others have suggested other drivers that I've never heard of?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Anybody know why Hertz SV 165.1 doesn't list an rms wattage? OR know what it is?

Also, I seem to be stuck on the Hertz due to piece of mind in quality, but would other cheaper mid range drivers sound good in QUALITY that have the same specs? I ask cause others have suggested other drivers that I've never heard of?
thats the thing though.. the hertz arent exactly of good quality lol. i think the name and high price has you confused, just like many others.

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21

DIYMA freshman

Question Re: Upgrading Components To SPL Sound!

Quote:
thats the thing though.. the hertz arent exactly of good quality lol. i think the name and high price has you confused, just like many others.
Well the only drive I found on the link that you suggested that was 6.5" and 4 ohms was the FAITAL PRO 6FE200 6.5". The specs are similar, but are you suggesting that this driver VS the Hertz would lay identical at half the cost??
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Well the only drive I found on the link that you suggested that was 6.5" and 4 ohms was the FAITAL PRO 6FE200 6.5". The specs are similar, but are you suggesting that this driver VS the Hertz would lay identical at half the cost??
are you limited to 6.5's? theres also parts express. and yes, that is what im suggesting. price doesnt equate to performance. that principle is what this site was founded on.

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
are you limited to 6.5's? theres also parts express. and yes, that is what im suggesting. price doesnt equate to performance. that principle is what this site was founded on.
Yeah id like to stick with the 6.5 for now and see how this sounds. Especially if im gonna run these active.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Yeah id like to stick with the 6.5 for now and see how this sounds. Especially if im gonna run these active.
reason being, theres not as many options and pro audio drivers cant play nearly as low as traditional drivers. an 8 would work much better

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
reason being, theres not as many options and pro audio drivers cant play nearly as low as traditional drivers. an 8 would work much better
So basically your saying if I go to an 8" driver, my options broaden because they can play louder (db) and over a wider frequency range??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement