Looking for DSP Recommendation - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 6 q2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enough

Default Looking for DSP Recommendation

I'm ditching my JBL MS-8 because I can't get it to sound right. I want to replace it with something else, maybe a RF 3SIXTY.3 or something like that. I'd like to pay someone to dial it in with RTA. Can anyone recommend a shop or a person who can help me with this in the San Francisco Bay Area? Thanks.

Paul
q2quest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 83 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Looking for DSP Recommendation

The user Lycancatt specializes in this. He is local to the San Jose bay area and he's a million times better at tuning than any shop you'll find nearby. I am also willing to help, and once in a while he and I collaborate on a project like this. I'll send you some details over private message.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard
Jazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 6 q2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enoughq2quest will become famous soon enough

Thank you!

Old 01-11-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 249 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you have a line on some good tuning talent.

On the processor it depends how much you want to spend. For a little over $300 to your door you can get the minidsp c-dsp 6x8 that's a great processor for the money. If you're willing to spend 2-3x that for a lot more tweakability the Helix dsp is the magic ticket. Both great units and the c-dsp will get you there but the Helix will let you really get dialed in with a more scalpel approach. That said, in my last truck I got my left and right side nearly carbon copies of each other with just 6 bands of peq per driver. Used the input eq for the tonality curve.

OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, Soundstream TN1200.1, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...HASTE MAKES WASTE
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 140 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Another processor is not going to fix your tuning skills. I would take the offers to help you tune your system with your current processor. You will be pleasantly surprised with what a decent tuner can do for you. Even better, you become a decent tuner.
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 249 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarpio View Post
Another processor is not going to fix your tuning skills. I would take the offers to help you tune your system with your current processor. You will be pleasantly surprised with what a decent tuner can do for you. Even better, you become a decent tuner.
The ms-8 requires a lot of trickery to make it do what you want it to do. That's why so many people who used to run one don't run it anymore.

OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, Soundstream TN1200.1, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...HASTE MAKES WASTE
Old 01-11-2017   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 140 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
The ms-8 requires a lot of trickery to make it do what you want it to do. That's why so many people who used to run one don't run it anymore.
Oh, I see. I was under the impression that you could do pretty much anything with it, just like most other processors. I take that back then.
Old 01-11-2017   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Oh, I see. I was under the impression that you could do pretty much anything with it, just like most other processors. I take that back then.
Yeah the ms-8 can be the auto tune unit from hell if you don't do everything just right. Some people love it though. I hear it works great if you have a center channel.

Old 01-11-2017   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Quote:
Yeah the ms-8 can be the auto tune unit from hell if you don't do everything just right. Some people love it though. I hear it works great if you have a center channel.
OK, I'll chime in. People have mixed feelings about the Bit Ten, but my experience with it was very positive. Not too expensive and simple to use. I got very good results with it but it is only 5 channels. I got to use the BitOne (8 channels) but it had its quirks. If you are willing to deal with just a circuit board, the MiniDSP 2x8 (not to be confused with the C-DSP) is superb, top notch stuff. Currently I am using the PXA-H800 and in my opinion this is one of the best DSPs out there. It has an awesome controller that allows me to use it without a head unit. Honorable mentions are the Mosconi 6to8, I used it when I had a head unit and it is a very nice unit. People in this forum have a boner for the Helix DSP Pro, but I have not used one yet.
Old 01-11-2017   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 146 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

There's no boner about Helix. They're just great units with excellent support and the regular 8 preout DSP can be found for a very reasonable price when used. Had the Rockford and let it go unused due to lack of updates. Other dsp units seem to suffer the same fate. When you spend 400-600 on something, you want it to not only work flawlessly, but have good support. Nothing boner about that.

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

I agree, a forum boner has a tendency to screw you. A legit product that works great will treat you right

Old 01-11-2017   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

This forum has a Helix DSP boner, that is my opinion and I am sticking with it.
Old 01-11-2017   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 47 Jscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enoughJscoyne2 will become famous soon enough

C-dsp has worked really well in my experience

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 30 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This forum has a Helix DSP boner, that is my opinion and I am sticking with it.
Agreed

Looking forward to using the dsp.2 though.

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 x2 sealed, Arc KS600.2, Arc KS900.6, SI TM65v1, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 119 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

I will 2nd the alpine h800 as one of the best out there with the controller..not cheap though and therefore not for everyone. the lack of laptop makes it a winner for me though.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 fatboyracing will become famous soon enoughfatboyracing will become famous soon enoughfatboyracing will become famous soon enoughfatboyracing will become famous soon enoughfatboyracing will become famous soon enoughfatboyracing will become famous soon enough

I liked my helix dsp seems very easy to use, it would be in my truck now but I got a really good deal on the helix dsp pro. Not sure why I changed it out... I would recommend helix.

Also If you are looking for a used one I have one for sale
fatboyracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 119 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

the helix line has proven itself worthy, even the older ones. just worked with one and it went really smoothly and didn't have connectivity issues like recent mosconi offerings.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 150 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Software is ruling today`s world and Helix software miles ahead of everyone else.
DSP pro.2 is marginal upgrade over version 1 but nonetheless a forum boner (not that it`s a bad thing)
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #19
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
I agree, a forum boner has a tendency to screw you. A legit product that works great will treat you right
A boner for a good reason, unlike most other forum boners

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 123 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't think it requires a lot of trickery, most people with issues either have the volume too low or high during sweeps. Before ditching it I would see if someone local to OP could help set it up.

Former MS8 user, I had no problems with mine at all once I knew a good volume for the sweeps. The only reason I got rid of it was used prices spiked and I wanted to try manually tuning my car.
naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #21

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku View Post
I don't think it requires a lot of trickery, most people with issues either have the volume too low or high during sweeps. Before ditching it I would see if someone local to OP could help set it up.

Former MS8 user, I had no problems with mine at all once I knew a good volume for the sweeps. The only reason I got rid of it was used prices spiked and I wanted to try manually tuning my car.
I was very happy with it in my Golf. I removed it and put it into my new GTI, but cannot get decent sound out of it. I have tried calibration it probably 30 times with different volume levels and settings. It stopped working for a day then suddenly started again. Now, if I'm driving with the radio off I will get a super loud "pop" from the speakers about once every 20 minutes. I have no idea what that's about.
Old 01-11-2017   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 123 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Strange since the Golf and GTI are very similar on the inside that you can't get a good sound from it now. Are you using all the same equipment?

Something either sounds faulty with your MS8 (random pops) or an installation issue. Since you had no issues in the Golf it may be the MS8 developed a fault.
naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #23

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Automotive Repair Werks
Position:
Sales

Rep Power: 7 Iamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enough

I just picked up the db drive euphoria Edsp31.v2 the other day and am about to install it. Retail just over 400 at an local dealer. I downloaded the software and just started playing around with it until I get it in my runner.

The main reason I decided not to use the minidsp is due to the noise issues that seem to be prevalent in the forums due to the low voltage it produces, but that being said, it mainly what I have read and not personally experienced.

The peq in the mini sounds great but the 31 has an adjustable q on each band as well but not as comprehensive as the peq with 6 bands coming in and 6 more going out.

I am about to get a crash coarse as well with an external dsp.
Iamsecond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #24

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku View Post
Strange since the Golf and GTI are very similar on the inside that you can't get a good sound from it now. Are you using all the same equipment?

Something either sounds faulty with your MS8 (random pops) or an installation issue. Since you had no issues in the Golf it may be the MS8 developed a fault.
Although the two cars are similar, the new GTI has the Fender premium sound which uses a 400 watt amp and internal cross overs and EQ. I had to input high level speaker wires from tweeters, door and sub, whereas the Golf had a full range signal to each door speaker. No x-over so it was a simple L/R input.
Old 01-13-2017   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by q2quest View Post
Although the two cars are similar, the new GTI has the Fender premium sound which uses a 400 watt amp and internal cross overs and EQ. I had to input high level speaker wires from tweeters, door and sub, whereas the Golf had a full range signal to each door speaker. No x-over so it was a simple L/R input.
Fender? How did they go from guitars and guitar amplifiers to car stereos? Capitalizing on the name I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement