Front stage + sub for simple SQ upgrade, need amp advice - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 PPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enoughPPI_GUY will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Front stage + sub for simple SQ upgrade, need amp advice

If you want to go for a budget-oriented amp, I would suggest the Pioneer GM-D9605 or the NVX JAD900.5. Both come up occasionally on eBay for very good prices. Both are good for at least 1000 watts. The Pioneer claims 600 watts to the sub channel @ 2 ohms.

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to PPI_GUY For This Useful Post:
DejaWiz (03-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017   #27

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 121 DejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI_GUY View Post
If you want to go for a budget-oriented amp, I would suggest the Pioneer GM-D9605 or the NVX JAD900.5. Both come up occasionally on eBay for very good prices. Both are good for at least 1000 watts. The Pioneer claims 600 watts to the sub channel @ 2 ohms.
NVX JAD is still on my list of possibilities.
Pioneer = no BPF.

Anyone have any experience or opinions about the Soundstream RN5.2000D? Is it a decent budget-minded choice? How much power will it realistically produce around 13.8-14.2V?

2011 Kia Optima EX
Factory HU | Blaupunkt Vc660 | Infinity Kappa 800w Infinite Baffle | Soundstream TN4.900D
DejaWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Stay away from soundstream these days.
DC/Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DC/Hertz For This Useful Post:
DejaWiz (03-17-2017)

Old 03-17-2017   #29

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 121 DejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
Stay away from soundstream these days.
Bummer...has all the features I'm looking for. Too bad how SS seems to keep faltering model after model since Epsilon acquired them.

2011 Kia Optima EX
Factory HU | Blaupunkt Vc660 | Infinity Kappa 800w Infinite Baffle | Soundstream TN4.900D
Old 03-17-2017   #30

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

I have a PN4.520D, PN1.450D, PN1.1000D and all three are great amps. Good power, dead silent and a tiny foot print. No complaints here.

Dyno tests of the PN series show a pretty consistent 85% of rated output from what I can find test wise on them. Which is fine by me at this price.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me

Last edited by street.terror; 03-17-2017 at 09:29 AM..
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to street.terror For This Useful Post:
DejaWiz (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017   #31

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.terror View Post
I have a PN4.520D, PN1.450D, PN1.1000D and all three are great amps. Good power, dead silent and a tiny foot print. No complaints here.

Dyno tests of the PN series show a pretty consistent 85% of rated output from what I can find test wise on them. Which is fine by me at this price.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the insight. I was curious about the RN5.2000D real-world performance because it has 3x30A (90A total) fusing, which seems pretty stout. Wondering if it was that much for real protection because it can actually push near it, or if it was for show/illusion.

2011 Kia Optima EX
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #32

DIYMA Novice

Update (for those that are interested): no progress...my kids were horsing around and busted out a window in my house, so I had to reallocate my car audio project funds to fix that.

But, I do have a few questions...
How much deadener do you think I'll need for an adequate job (not looking to go with an unnecessary full coverage job like some shops like to push in order to make insane amounts of money), and where should I really focus on applying it?
Right now, I've got 20 sqft of deadener sitting in a box (NVX stuff that I got free with my sub). My plan is to get some more (I'm not particular to a specific brand, so opinion would help) to do a basic deadening job by applying squares/rectangles in various spots of the sheet metal (like what SDS used to show when they were an informational website...before they went to a web store), applying it liberally on both the rear deck where the sub will go and behind/around the mounts of the door speakers, and then wherever else would be suggested.
1. How much sqft total?
2. What brands should I consider/avoid (is the free NVX stuff I already have any good)?
3. Where should I focus on applying it, aside from where I stated above?

2011 Kia Optima EX
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #33

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 beak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you have a great plan. Check out Noico 80 mil on eBay. I've done 2 vehicles with it and it works great. $70 for 36 sq ft.

2013 Camaro SS/RS - Kenwood DDX9903S - Arc Audio PS-8/PSC - Mmats HiFi 6150D - Helix SPXL1000 -Audiofrog GB12D4(2), GB60, GB25, GB10
beak81champ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to beak81champ For This Useful Post:
DejaWiz (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34

DIYMA Novice

The time for ordering up some new toys is drawing closer!

Need some bona fide advice on what routes to go. Please keep in mind I'm not necessarily looking to go balls out and spend a huge bucket of money, since this is my daily driver and the reality is that *any* decent upgrades are going to be worlds better than the current oem setup; the cheaper, the better...but I'm not going to settle for flea-market grade crap, either.

Option 1
  • Strong FD 5 or 6 ch amp with BP capability mounted under rear deck (around 4x100w RMS + 1x250W RMS @ 4 Ω, so along the lines of the PDX-V9 or AC LC-6.1200); assuming $500+
  • Existing Blaupunkt Vc660 for ACTIVE front stage in doors and dash; $0
  • Existing Infinity Kappa 800w in rear deck IB; $0

Option 2
  • Separate FD mini/nano amps mounted under rear deck (2 ch or bridged 4 ch around 100+ W RMS 4 Ω; 1 ch around 200+ W RMS 4; $?
  • Existing Blaupunkt Vc660 for PASSIVE front stage in doors and dash; $0
  • Existing Infinity Kappa 800w in rear deck IB; $0

Other items needed
(I need pretty much everything for a fresh install in a completely factory/stock vehicle, aside from the HU which I am retaining):
  • Amp kit - need suggestions; $?
  • LOC - (if needed, depending if amp has HL inputs) need suggestions; $?
  • Any additional items I should get (connectors, distros, gadgets, and doohickeys); $?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
Sounds like you have a great plan. Check out Noico 80 mil on eBay. I've done 2 vehicles with it and it works great. $70 for 36 sq ft.
Do you think another 36 sq-ft + the 20 sq-ft I have will be enough to accomplish what I plan?

2011 Kia Optima EX
Old 1 Week Ago   #35

DIYMA Novice

Anyone know anything about this amp kit, quality-wise?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AQ21ALE?psc=1
Old 1 Week Ago   #36

DIYMA Novice

Bump.

Would really appreciate some advice.
Old 1 Week Ago   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 147 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Spending extra on cld isn't necessary. Treat the needed areas with the recommended 25%. Mlv & ccf is what makes the real difference when combined with cld so look to incorporating that into your install. Makes for a more enjoyable ride even if it's a daily driver with no music.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 147 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaWiz View Post
Anyone know anything about this amp kit, quality-wise?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AQ21ALE?psc=1
Go here and pick you out something for less money. You'll have to piece together the other parts like fuse holder & fuse, & ring terminals, etc from elsewhere (Knuconceptz or Sonicelectronix), but here you will get copper wire in a durable jacket for less than elsewhere. Order the footage you need in black & red Royal Excelene 4 awg.

https://www.wireandsupply.com/category_s/63.htm

KnuKonceptz - Home and Mobile audio accessories, including amp installation kits and speaker wire

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #39

DIYMA Novice

Due to budget constraints, I will likely end up getting the NVX JAD900.5 or PPI P900.5 amp.

One thing I'm a bit perplexed over: all the pictures for the PPI show it does NOT have the BPF option like the NVX and Polk siblings do...can anyone confirm if the PPI variant has the BPF?
Old 1 Week Ago   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 171 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaWiz View Post
Due to budget constraints, I will likely end up getting the NVX JAD900.5 or PPI P900.5 amp.

One thing I'm a bit perplexed over: all the pictures for the PPI show it does NOT have the BPF option like the NVX and Polk siblings do...can anyone confirm if the PPI variant has the BPF?
I've used the JAD 900.5 in several installs and it's a great little amp. I've always chose it due to its features compared to the other variants like the PPI. I've never owned or used the PPI so unfortunately I can't confirm regarding the BPF, but I don't think it has been changed or updated so what the current photos show is what you get I believe.

I happen to have a BNIB NVX JAD 900.5 that's been sitting in the closet for just over a year. I had planned to install it in my nephew's car, but his girlfriend (now wife) totaled the car just as we started planning the system. The vehicle he replaced it with already had a nice system in it so the JAD sits unused.

If your interested, I'd let it go for $199 shipped, 'cause it's just taking up space that my better half could use for her shoe collection, LOL.

Best way to reach me is EMAIL: bbfoto(AT)hotmail(DOT)com

In the subject/header type "DIYMA / NVX JAD 900.5 / bbfoto - DejaWiz"

I also have a BNIB RF 3Sixty.3 DSP that was intended for that install as well. $365 Shipped BNIB with all original accessories/parts. I've posted both of these in the Classifieds Forums.

Last edited by bbfoto; 1 Week Ago at 07:34 PM..
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #41

DIYMA Novice

Thank you for the offer, bbfoto!

But, after giving it some serious consideration, I think I'm going to go in a different direction:

1. PPI P900.4 or NVX JAD800.4, since they both sport BPF capability and enough juice to keep the Vc660 mids fed well.
2. Run the comps passive for now off 2ch stereo.
3. Run the sub off the other 2 ch bridged.
4. 1/0 dual amp wiring kit, for future expandability.
5. Eventually get a dedicated sub amp and use the P900.4/JAD800.4 for active front stage duty (or a really strong 5ch or 6ch, examples such as the PDX-V9 or LC-6.1200 as mentioned before).

Here's what I'm thinking the install would look like:

Factory HU
|
9C Speedwire taking the 4 speaker channels and remote trigger to the trunk
|
4ch LOC in trunk (hopefully replaced with a DSP some day)
|
RCAs to amp in trunk
|
From amp: 8awg to sub and 16awg to passives, then 16awg from passives to front comps

Anything I should modify/consider?

2011 Kia Optima EX
Old 6 Days Ago   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 171 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

No worries regarding the JAD900.5.

I think what you have outlined above looks like a solid start that will allow you to easily updrade or expand in the future. Get 'er done!
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bbfoto For This Useful Post:
DejaWiz (3 Days Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago   #43

DIYMA Novice

Here's what I ended up with:

AMP: TN4.900D
(same internals/externals/fusing as the NVX JAD800.4, PPI P900.4, and Polk PA D4000.4)

LOC: NVX XFLOC4

Speaker Wire: 16awg for front comps, 8awg for sub

Amp Kit: meet/exceed spec 4awg
(will be plenty if/when I decide to upgrade to a strong 5-6 CH amp in the 900-1200W RMS range)

Aside from the knick-knacky stuff that I can get at a local department or auto parts store as I go, I think I got everything.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I'm looking forward to getting started on this build soon!

2011 Kia Optima EX

Last edited by DejaWiz; 1 Day Ago at 01:37 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement