On 150 watts & sealed: JL 12W0v3 or Alpine SWS12 or other? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 evan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enough

Default On 150 watts & sealed: JL 12W0v3 or Alpine SWS12 or other?

I'm putting together a system for my 2010 Rav4 out of mostly left over parts from old installs. I'm using an old Alpine 4 channel amp that is rated at 150 watts bridged at 4 ohms. The other two channels will be running a set of Pioneer TS-C720PRS.

I'm looking for a 12" sub for a sealed enclosure to run on the 150 watts. I've narrowed it down to either the JL 12W0v3 or the Alpine SWS-12 unless somebody has a good argument for something else. My local shop sells both for around $160 CAD ($120 USD).

Any body have any input on which to go with? I have room for the recommended sealed enclosure size for either.

-Evan
evan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 11 thref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: On 150 watts & sealed: JL 12W0v3 or Alpine SWS12 or other?

Are you willing to invest in a new amp if your existing one couldn't push the Type S sufficiently?
thref23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 136 evan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thref23 View Post
Are you willing to invest in a new amp if your existing one couldn't push the Type S sufficiently?
I'd love to but I don't think the budget would allow for it. Would you say the JL would work better with the 150 watts?

-Evan

Old 03-20-2017   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 11 thref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enoughthref23 will become famous soon enough

I don't even know man, but I suspect that is what I would be told. I mean most would probably recommend feeding 600 watts to that sub (the Type S), you have 150 watts and are using a sealed enclosure (which means less output than ported). On the flip side, 150 is at the bottom end of Crutchfield's recommendation, and maybe your amp is underrated.

Last edited by thref23; 03-20-2017 at 10:34 AM..
thref23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

the jl would actually do ok on that power but I'd recommend a larger box than they recommend for better use of the low power and a better sound overall.. if jl recommends 1.0 cubic feet, go for 1.3 and you will like it a whole lot better. this applies also to the alpine type s but lessso imo. either would make a great sub.

the bigger issue I see is that an amp that's 150 rms bridged will be only around 50 rms stereo, which is pretty low power for a component set, especially one as nice as that pioneer unit. do you think you could spend $100 on another amp? something from jbl maybe or a tiny Rockford prime 300d? you could then double your sub power and triple the power going to the front stage, which is imo more important than overall sub power. something used off local craigslist would work, almost anything really.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Fill it up again Dummy

Rep Power: 74 Marky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enough

I just helped a buddy with his stereo yesterday and he has the Pioneer TSC-720-PRS in the doors.
He is running a Nakamichi PA300II (75WPC) to the midrange woofers and a PA304 (45WPC) to the tweeters. They are short on power but they still sound very nice. More power would be a plus but they do really sound nice at that power level.
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post
the jl would actually do ok on that power but I'd recommend a larger box than they recommend for better use of the low power and a better sound overall.. if jl recommends 1.0 cubic feet, go for 1.3 and you will like it a whole lot better. this applies also to the alpine type s but lessso imo. either would make a great sub.

the bigger issue I see is that an amp that's 150 rms bridged will be only around 50 rms stereo, which is pretty low power for a component set, especially one as nice as that pioneer unit. do you think you could spend $100 on another amp? something from jbl maybe or a tiny Rockford prime 300d? you could then double your sub power and triple the power going to the front stage, which is imo more important than overall sub power. something used off local craigslist would work, almost anything really.
Now that you mention it, I think that might be the way to go. I just looked at the manual for my MRV-F307 again and it's actually only rated at 120 watts bridged. I think I'm going to look around for a mono amp for the sub.

-Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement