Stupid 6x8 door openings, what to do? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 78 crispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enough

Default Stupid 6x8 door openings, what to do?

So I am in design phase in my truck right now.

It is a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

I have done some searching but did not see any information.

I am at a loss for how I should build for my front stage.

I CANNOT modify the door panel as I do not have those skills.

What I would like to do is run a 2 way active front stage just to keep it simple as I cannot afford big processing right now.

My tweeters are in pods mounted on the A-Pillars on axis

They are the Alpine SPX and play down to 3.1khz

So I need speakers that would work in the doors.

Are there any good 6x8 or 5x7 speakers that would play from 63 to 3.1k?

I already have good recommendations for 6.5" drivers so if they are the answer then I would go with the SEAS Prestige CA18RLY https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...r-cone-woofer/
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 78 crispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enoughcrispin will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Stupid 6x8 door openings, what to do?

also I am wondering about future upgrading of the system.

Would a 3 way front stage with

6x8 in the doors
5.25 in the kicks
tweeters in the pillars

Would that work good?

I think I would be able to build kicks and I have pretty good line of sight to them
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 319 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

There are FAR more options in the 6.5" size. You will be able to get better speakers, at a lower cost if you can make 6.5" work.

The 3-way would be ok, but I think a 5.25 is redundant. I would choose a smaller driver that can play higher and cover the entire vocal range.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

I went 6.5 as it was just easier then trying to find a good 5x7/6x8 especially at a given cost.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 makinsparks will become famous soon enoughmakinsparks will become famous soon enoughmakinsparks will become famous soon enoughmakinsparks will become famous soon enoughmakinsparks will become famous soon enoughmakinsparks will become famous soon enough

I recently picked up these Image Dynamics XS-57. I haven't heard them, but seem to have decent reviews.
XS-57 - Image Dynamics 5x7" 2 Way Component System
makinsparks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinsparks View Post
I recently picked up these Image Dynamics XS-57. I haven't heard them, but seem to have decent reviews.
XS-57 - Image Dynamics 5x7" 2 Way Component System
Those woofers are still available, I wouldn't need the tweeters or crossovers as I run active and have good tweeters already.

I am still very undecided.

I am also kicking around the idea of building kick panels and installing my woofers down there.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 147 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

There's a few 6x8" component sets that are decent and don't cost much. JBL's GTO series are pretty good despite the cheapish look. Put a set of the coax in my sister's Mountaineer that I wound up being impressed with. If you're stuck on keeping your tweets, then you are just going to have to squeeze something in there, but getting down to 63hz may be a stretch at upper volumes. 80-100hz would be more realistic even for a 6-6.5".

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 17 LostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enoughLostnEye will become famous soon enough

I would stick to the 6.5s
LostnEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 144 spydertune is on a distinguished roadspydertune is on a distinguished roadspydertune is on a distinguished roadspydertune is on a distinguished roadspydertune is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Re: Stupid 6x8 door openings, what to do?

Most 5x7 speakers have extended mounting slots for 6x8 compatibility. Pretty much all Boston Acoustics 5x7s will drop into the Ford 6x8 opening from that era.

These are Boston RX87, current in 2001 and you can see the (4) slots on the sides -

It looks like you can order these with & without the tweeter holes so you they can be set up for a coax or component -

Focal 5" X 7" / 6" X 8" High Quality Aluminum Speaker Adapter Ring

spydertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 AccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished road

Adapter plate and stick a 8" in there..

Jose -02 VW Passat Wagon
Beyma Speakers - Soundigital Amps - Arc Audio PS8 - Nexus 7
AccordUno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 114 ARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordUno View Post
Adapter plate and stick a 8" in there..
I was thinking adapter plate also. Below is a video of a very nice install of 6" midbass driver into a door. It is not necessary to have all the tools and skills of the installer shown, but it gives you a good idea of his thought process and steps. You could do the same with an adapter plate, the fast foam and some weatherstripping tape to isolate the driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WKCFHGwRY

ARCuhTEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 AccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished roadAccordUno is on a distinguished road

crispin, PM where you are located in TN. I can probably help you out or point you to the right person in TN that could get you a plate made.

You can do it with a router or jigsaw. just depends. I did it in my titan, but scrapped the install in it. I have some what a source on PVC so if push comes to shove I can get that made..

Jose -02 VW Passat Wagon
Beyma Speakers - Soundigital Amps - Arc Audio PS8 - Nexus 7
AccordUno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement