I miss my Focal K2P's... - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Days Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 114 ARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enough

Default I miss my Focal K2P's...

I suppose I lean a little toward SPL but like the SQ systems. I started my custom build with Focal K2P mid bass and tweets. I became curious about the Hybrid Audio Legatia line (L1 and L6) and that is what I have now. They are great drivers, but either I chose not to push them as hard as the K2Ps or the K2Ps are just the kind of speaker that hit harder. I miss that extra bit of thump.

I can no longer find the K2Ps obviously and Focal has several new lines/models that I have not auditioned. I live in an area where auditioning speakers from dealers is seemingly impossible and certainly not easily accomplished (lack of shops).

I have a set of Hertz HSK165s, which seem to get great reviews. I have looked into some Sundown Audio mids, Audiofrogs and many more. None of which I have heard.

So I thought I would ask the expert peanut gallery. Yes I know this is such a subjective subject, but, what 2 way component set would you recommend that are close to the K2Ps. I am game for anything. No need to concern your recommendation around cost. That is not the issue. I simply dont have the time to drive 2-4 hours every time I discover a new component set.

So what say you?

ARCuhTEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 29 MikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enoughMikeS will become famous soon enough

Default Re: I miss my Focal K2P's...

Didn't focal make already a comeback with k2? https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...elite/k2-power

I have old k2p's and swapped out tweeters to Seas 27TFFNC/G and then mids to Seas CA18RNX These mids are quite similar sounding in my small hatchback doors and actually seas sound better for my application without external dsp installed. (just 80prs) Someone else might comment on different variations of those mids. I highpass those at 50hz and run 8" version as a space saver sub. Theres quite good amount of kick on dash now which encourages to crank it to stupid levels. I haven't had seas or k2 bottom out yet.

It's slightly larger in diameter (only slightly) and holes do not match with standard so custom adapters are needed if you can't make new holes. I'm planning to replace the tweeters with scanspeak d3004 or likes. Haven't decided yet, I need to try external amplifier for tweeters with more power. (running off deck now, I know external amp sounds little better) For the low price of the whole set I'm happy.

I'd really like to swap out to those new focals but I'm not sure if I get that much difference for the money spent.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 114 ARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Didn't focal make already a comeback with k2? https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...elite/k2-power
Yes Focal did introduce a new line of K2s. I mention in my post that Focal hed new lines. The problem is I do not know which of those lines are comparable to the originals. As stated, I have no way to audition them....really just purchase and gamble. Hence the reason I am reaching out to you all to see if anyone has experience with the K2P and a new speaker (be it Focal K2's or otherwise) that could offer a word of advice.

For example, your comments about the SEAs is a good tidbit of information for me. I certainly appreciate that.

I have browsed the new Focal K2 line. They certainly look very much like the originals I just figured they would not be identical in every specification and hence also not sound the same. I am defiantly a Focal fan. But I like Morel, Hertz and the SEAs too (have heard only one other set and they sounded great, but my system is not as nice as that system, not same car etc). But your input certainly makes me take another look at SEAs (I had forgotten about them to be honest). So many products to consider out there. It is a good time to be an audio fan, for the most part.

Thank you again,
Kevin

Old 3 Days Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

I think the Focal ES 165 Kx2 is the comparable driver. Cost is of no issue, but at $1,300 for the 2 way component set, I will be doing a bit of due diligence before jumping on that train.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ES1...5_kx2&skipvs=T

Old 3 Days Ago   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 beak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enough

I have never seen one review saying Audiofrog has not delivered the goods in quality or quantity, which is why I am going with them. I will tell you in about 2 weeks how they sound. I will be running them off an Mmats 6150.

2013 Camaro SS/RS - Kenwood DDX9903S - Arc Audio PS-8/PSC - Mmats HiFi 6150D - Helix SPXL1000 -Audiofrog GB12D4(2), GB60, GB25, GB10
beak81champ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 12 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

jbl 660
dcfis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dcfis For This Useful Post:
ARCuhTEK (3 Days Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
I have never seen one review saying Audiofrog has not delivered the goods in quality or quantity, which is why I am going with them. I will tell you in about 2 weeks how they sound. I will be running them off an Mmats 6150.
I look forward to it! Which set did you buy?

Old 3 Days Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Looks like the JBL 660s have been discontinued as well.

Old 2 Days Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

I've heard good things about the Focal Flax line, you may want to look into those if you want to go that route again. IMO, the L6's have plenty of thump, and I'd push them a lot harder than any Focal Driver.. I've used as much as 75 WPC to 300 WPC on them with active processing, never a hiccup and I listen to music more than likely louder than my ears appreciate.

Are you running Active, or passive crossovers? This could very well be a tuning issue, so look into that before to wanting to swap in new speakers. That's my suggestion.

2016 Civic Turbo Coupe
-Alpine, Arc Audio, Cardas, Hybrid Audio, JL Audio
And a closet full of $hit I'll never use.....
mmiller is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 beak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enoughbeak81champ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCuhTEK View Post
I look forward to it! Which set did you buy?
GB60, GB25, GB10, and 2 GB12D4's

2013 Camaro SS/RS - Kenwood DDX9903S - Arc Audio PS-8/PSC - Mmats HiFi 6150D - Helix SPXL1000 -Audiofrog GB12D4(2), GB60, GB25, GB10
beak81champ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
Are you running Active, or passive crossovers? This could very well be a tuning issue, so look into that before to wanting to swap in new speakers. That's my suggestion.
I have the Audison Bit One DSP. I think the L6 are blown, or it could be the HU(known issues with this HU via other forums) and the Bit One is in the shop. Or the moment I have the time to research, just in case the drivers are toast. I have a new HU and when the DSP arrives, I can isolate quickly if I need new drivers. I am just guessing I will, but yes the tuning needs to basically start from scratch.
Thank you for your input.

Old 2 Days Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

What were Your crossover settings, out of curiosity? L6 V1 or V2's?

2016 Civic Turbo Coupe
-Alpine, Arc Audio, Cardas, Hybrid Audio, JL Audio
And a closet full of $hit I'll never use.....
mmiller is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Day Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
What were Your crossover settings, out of curiosity? L6 V1 or V2's?

I would tell you if I could. The Bit One has been AWOL for about 2 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement