Tweeter amp recommendation, lost in old schoo nostalgia, possibly blinded by it. Help - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 OKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enough

Default Tweeter amp recommendation, lost in old schoo nostalgia, possibly blinded by it. Help

I would appreciate any input you would offer. Starting a new install for a 2017 Ridgeline and have all the parts in place but one. I don't really know what I need, but have looked at so many old school amps I think my brain is saturated with nostalgia, and can't make a decision for various reasons. Love the thought of a nice class A amp for my tweeters, but buying a 20 year old amp is not something to just jump into lightly so I came here for my first post to get some advise. System is as follows, Pioneer 80 PRS, Mosconi 4to6 DSP, Polk SR 6500 Comps, Seas L26ROY 10" Sub. An Audison LRX 500.2 will power the 6.5's in the doors, with a LRX 400.1 powering the sub. That leaves the tweets, and I love them and want to do them right. Had a line on a mint Genesis Stereo 60, but that fell through. Most of my experience is with older model amps and I know basically nothing of the newer models. What do you think would be a good match for the gear listed. This will be my first fully active system and need to find a great amp, and then get a great installer to help me put it all together. Thanks for your time and suggestions. Oh, budget is around 300$.

Last edited by OKCarver; 6 Days Ago at 09:49 PM..
OKCarver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Fill it up again Dummy

Rep Power: 72 Marky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Tweeter amp recommendation, lost in old schoo nostalgia, possibly blinded by it.

Tweeter amp.........I'm going to say Nakamichi PA300II 75WPC X2 and as clean as you will ever find. Just a plate amp with gain adjustments but take a look at the specs on it.

2006 F250 Lariat 4X4

INE-Z928HD -Helix DSP PRO to Director-(2) McIntosh MC427 to (4) Dyna MD-102-(2) McIntosh MC431 to (2) Dyna MW-172+ (2) MW-162-(1) McIntosh MCC444 to (2) JL 10TW3-D4-(1) McIntosh MCC222 to (1) JL 12TW3-D4
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 OKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Tweeter amp recommendation, lost in old schoo nostalgia, possibly blinded by it.

Now that's true vintage. IMHO one of the best made, no sound of its own at all, like you said, clean. Best friend had a PA300 in his truck back when we were in high school (80's). Wish I had put one in the closet, but that kinda leads us back to the blinded by nostalgia thing. They can be had, but at what lengths? I looked at a Arc Audio Mini 125.2 that actually was quite nice. Wide stage with even a little depth, placement was great, but sonically i don't know how well it would fit. Most all of the equipment that will go in this system is a hodgepodge of name brands from the closet that I have collected over the years. If I could find a real solid Soundstream Rubicon Renoir I think I would be set, but again very hard to come by. Anyway, Marky thanks for the recommendation, it sure brought back some memories of my youth.
OKCarver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 5 Days Ago   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Fill it up again Dummy

Rep Power: 72 Marky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCarver View Post
Now that's true vintage. IMHO one of the best made, no sound of its own at all, like you said, clean. Best friend had a PA300 in his truck back when we were in high school (80's). Wish I had put one in the closet, but that kinda leads us back to the blinded by nostalgia thing. They can be had, but at what lengths? I looked at a Arc Audio Mini 125.2 that actually was quite nice. Wide stage with even a little depth, placement was great, but sonically i don't know how well it would fit. Most all of the equipment that will go in this system is a hodgepodge of name brands from the closet that I have collected over the years. If I could find a real solid Soundstream Rubicon Renoir I think I would be set, but again very hard to come by. Anyway, Marky thanks for the recommendation, it sure brought back some memories of my youth.
Yea well I was also into the early Nak stuff. Only thing that I have left is my TD800 Tuner.

I ran 6 PA300II amps in my last old school setup. Was pretty nice honestly. Still some pictures of it under my profile. Tough amps I will say, I pretty much gave them to a childhood friend that always wanted those amps. Same thing he reliving the 80's now himself.
Good Luck on the mission

2006 F250 Lariat 4X4

INE-Z928HD -Helix DSP PRO to Director-(2) McIntosh MC427 to (4) Dyna MD-102-(2) McIntosh MC431 to (2) Dyna MW-172+ (2) MW-162-(1) McIntosh MCC444 to (2) JL 10TW3-D4-(1) McIntosh MCC222 to (1) JL 12TW3-D4
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement