Need ideas for regular cab Silverado build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 Days Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 aldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enough

Default Need ideas for regular cab Silverado build

I have an '09 Silverado regular cab truck that came with the basic HU and speaker package. I've suddenly become interested in car audio for the first time in around 10 years and would like to do a simple build that focuses around sound quality. I've been reading the great info from this forum and think that an active setup would serve me well and give me plenty to tinker with. A JL C5 650 set will go in the doors. I'll probably have the tweets flush mounted just above the mid on the door panel. I'm having a local shop do the complete install and "basic" tune.

Now, for the HU..... I can't decide if I should keep the stock HU and add a JL Fix along with a dsp or if I should pick up an aftermarket HU and add a dsp. I'm really having a hard time picking a new HU based on the currently available units. I would like to do an Alpine unit along with their PXA-H800/RUX-C800 combo. My problem is that I don't think Alpine(or anyone else) makes a true high end HU with all of the audio bells and whistles and latest tech gadgets. I really need advice on which direction to go with the HU and DSP.

Next on the list is the sub. How about a thin style woofer like a JL 13TW5v2? Or a 12w6v3 if it will fit? I'm not really sold on any particular brand or model at this point, but I have very limited space and would prefer a crisp, musical sub with some volume. I will say that I am very JL biased because of their outstanding service from the past, but I'm open to suggestions for better options.

Parts list:

HU: TBD
DSP: TBD
AMP: JL HD900/5
Components: JL C5 650
Sub: TBD
aldebaran is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Need ideas for regular cab Silverado build

You can swap the headunit out fairly easily in that truck. I'm a fan of Pioneer's user interface. They make a great touch screen all across the board. Just depends on how many features you want. If you don't NEED a double din you can get a Pioneer 80prs and go 3-way active with it until you decide to drop coin on a processor. The 80prs is a very powerful headunit for the price and is a really clean source unit when going to a processor.

For a sub a JL 12tw3 would be my choice. Maybe even do a center console style box and downfire.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 aldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enoughaldebaran will become famous soon enough

I appreciate your suggestions and info, hb. I stopped by the JL dealer in my area and snagged a set of C5 650's today. I was able to fondle the 7200NEX while I was there and must say it's a sweet radio! I think I have the HU narrowed down to two options. If I go double din I'll end up with the Pioneer 8201NEX for the back up camera and capacitive touchscreen and if I end up going single din I'll opt for the 80PRS for obvious reasons.

I also tried to have a conversation about the JL TwK 88 and going to an active setup. The salesman wasn't very helpful on the subject, but I did get to see the unit and knob(s) as well as kinda demo the tun software. Will probably go this route for processing.

Also, I may end up going a different route concerning the amp(s). I have a friend that acquired the old JL slash v1 amps out my last vehicle. 1000/1, 300/2, and 450/4. I hope he'll offer me a good deal on the 1000/1 and 450/4. They should work perfect for my needs with plenty of headroom. I "gave" them to him for a steal, so I'm hoping he returns the favor! Things are coming together faster than I thought!

Old 4 Days Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

yeah the JL 13TW5v2 will be good. Looks like you're a JL fan. Put 2 in there!!

diy.phil
diy.phil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 39 BlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enough

If you have a current iPhone or Android phone, you can save a little and buy the lower end 4200 NEX. The 4200 will do carplay/android auto, this way you don't pay the higher price for nav, when your phone can do it. Also, if you like gadgets, make sure to get a head unit that supports iDatalink Maestro. You get can buss data, for extra gauges, and other supported vehicle interfaces, along with steering wheel controls.

I have a similar install to what you are planning in my truck. I went with the Kenwood DMX-7704S and a TWK 88. I'm running full active with a three way set of Hertz components and a pair of 10TW3's. I get a clean signal to the DSP from the Kenwood and all the tuning I need out of the TWK 88.
BlueGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #6

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGhost View Post
If you have a current iPhone or Android phone, you can save a little and buy the lower end 4200 NEX. The 4200 will do carplay/android auto, this way you don't pay the higher price for nav, when your phone can do it. Also, if you like gadgets, make sure to get a head unit that supports iDatalink Maestro. You get can buss data, for extra gauges, and other supported vehicle interfaces, along with steering wheel controls.

I have a similar install to what you are planning in my truck. I went with the Kenwood DMX-7704S and a TWK 88. I'm running full active with a three way set of Hertz components and a pair of 10TW3's. I get a clean signal to the DSP from the Kenwood and all the tuning I need out of the TWK 88.
Thanks for the input. I ended up getting a deal that I couldn't pass up on the 8201nex. Shop couldn't get the 8200, so they gave me the 8201 for the same price! Free backup camera! I really enjoyed talking with the guy at that shop. He seemed very knowledgeable and really into his profession.

I downloaded the demo version of the tun software today and was pretty overwhelmed. Lots of adjustability in expert mode! I'll have to play with it a bunch to get comfy using it.

Where did you mount your tweets? I want to flush them in the doors just above the mids. The shop wants to put them in the a-pillars where the stock tweeters are. I want the speakers to disappear into the music if I close my eyes.
Old 1 Day Ago   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 39 BlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enough

My tweeters are in the stock location on the a-pillers. I have a three way, the 3 inch mid is mounted in the sail panel and the 6.5 is in the stock location in the door.

Not a bad deal with the 8201, that's like getting $100 off. The capacitive touchscreen will be nice.

I've played with the TWK software, but haven't done any tuning yet. The shop that installed mine did a really good job with the base tune. But, I still want to see what I can do with it. One thing to remember, when using expert mode, the twk doesn't mute the outputs when you change crossover settings.
BlueGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Day Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I would mount the tweets in the sails if going 2-way. Probably be easier to dial in that way.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10 Hours Ago   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGhost View Post
My tweeters are in the stock location on the a-pillers. I have a three way, the 3 inch mid is mounted in the sail panel and the 6.5 is in the stock location in the door.

Not a bad deal with the 8201, that's like getting $100 off. The capacitive touchscreen will be nice.

I've played with the TWK software, but haven't done any tuning yet. The shop that installed mine did a really good job with the base tune. But, I still want to see what I can do with it. One thing to remember, when using expert mode, the twk doesn't mute the outputs when you change crossover settings.
I ended getting the 8201 for $500.00 off of retail. Was an excellent deal!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what effect is caused by the outputs not muting? Should I just make sure the volume is low?
Old 10 Hours Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 128 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, $500.00 of retail means they paid you to buy it that is one heck of a deal.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

Selling Sinfoni nib speakers ......
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10 Hours Ago   #11

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
I would mount the tweets in the sails if going 2-way. Probably be easier to dial in that way.
I'm considering this approach for now. I've heard that the c5's have a soft tweeter. So, should I mount the tweeters as close to on axis as possible? That would most likely mean mounting them in the sails. My a-pillars aim the tweeters partially at the front windshield.
Old 10 Hours Ago   #12

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Wow, $500.00 of retail means they paid you to buy it that is one heck of a deal.
That includes a $150.00 rebate from Pioneer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement