Home depot "dynamat" for real this time? - Page 5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008   #101

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 177 FoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Home depot "dynamat" for real this time?

I have RAAMmat (I believe it to be the 6th incarnation) and Protecto Wrap in my hands as I type this and they are indeed not the same. Not in smell, thickness, shape, quality, more.

Why RAAM is so tar-like, I have no idea. I have no reason to suspect Rick sneaks cheap fillers in it, so I cannot comment. I've also never seen the MSDS on it.

RAAMmat's adhesive layer is clearly not on the same level of 'rubberyness' as DP or VMax. If it's sticks and stays, it's probably damping. But, then again, I've never seen damping testing on it, so we're back to anecdotes.

What is the cost involved in the proper engineering and manufacturing of a foil-backed CLD mat? And are you willing to pay for the products that invest in such a thing? Ask yourself this when you go to buy "deadener."

While you're at it, also ask yourself if a CLD mat is the optimal choice for in-car damping. After all, there are many forms of structural damping.
FoxPro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008   #102
DIYMA 500 Club

Car Audio Junky

Rep Power: 805 GLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=FoxPro5;542134]I have RAAMmat (I believe it to be the 6th incarnation) and Protecto Wrap in my hands as I type this and they are indeed not the same. Not in smell, thickness, shape, quality, more.

Why RAAM is so tar-like, I have no idea. I have no reason to suspect Rick sneaks cheap fillers in it, so I cannot comment. I've also never seen the MSDS on it.

RAAMmat's adhesive layer is clearly not on the same level of 'rubberyness' as DP or VMax. If it's sticks and stays, it's probably damping. But, then again, I've never seen damping testing on it, so we're back to anecdotes.

What is the cost involved in the proper engineering and manufacturing of a foil-backed CLD mat? And are you willing to pay for the products that invest in such a thing? Ask yourself this when you go to buy "deadener."

While you're at it, also ask yourself if a CLD mat is the optimal choice for in-car damping. After all, there are many forms of structural damping.[/QUOTE]

Excellent input sir, shoud be a whole other thread started to discuss the different types.
GLN305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008   #103
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 187 Rudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLN305 View Post
I just noticed that you are from Maryland. Have you tried installing Peel n Seal that has been sitting in a 120 degree garage for a few days into a 110 degree car? Most anything will get gooey in Texas heat if left long enough. Maybe our Home Depot and Lowes stores carry different lines of material to coincide with different climates. I know that a Target here and a Target in San Antonio stock completely different merchandise as do most stores. That's just a 100 miles distance.
Nope - and I'd say that was pretty far outside the realm of normal for most people.

HD, Lowe's and other suppliers of products like these do tend to carry more butyl flashing than asphalt in hot climates because those are the conditions it is designed for. Wouldn't be Peel & Seal then. Whenever I've priced butyl/aluminum foil flashing tape for comparative purposes, it's come out to be as expensive as or more expensive than RAAMmat - most of it is 20 mils think so you need three layers to equal one of RAAMmat. Who knows. I should have samples next week and we will see what is going on.

Rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008   #104
DIYMA 500 Club

Car Audio Junky

Rep Power: 805 GLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
Nope - and I'd say that was pretty far outside the realm of normal for most people.

HD, Lowe's and other suppliers of products like these do tend to carry more butyl flashing than asphalt in hot climates because those are the conditions it is designed for. Wouldn't be Peel & Seal then. Whenever I've priced butyl/aluminum foil flashing tape for comparative purposes, it's come out to be as expensive as or more expensive than RAAMmat - most of it is 20 mils think so you need three layers to equal one of RAAMmat. Who knows. I should have samples next week and we will see what is going on.
Well, high temperatures are present in many southern states, so I wouldn't say out of the real of most normal people because 90 degrees will make a garage 110 and a Car over 100 easily.

I have seen Peen n Seal at Home Depot here and it says it's a rubberized asphalt. Now what it contains I will find out this evening when I go read the contents, but I am sure that the one thing we need to know is going to be a "trade secret" and listed as such, but we'll see. Thickness is a definite concern, but feeling both tells me that the aluminum backed roof flashing stocked here is not 1/3 the thickness of Raam mat, it's just a tad bit thinner. I won't buy a roll to find out, hopefully it's listed on the packaging.
Old 09-03-2008   #105
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 187 Rudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, high temperatures are present in many southern states, so I wouldn't say out of the real of most normal people because 90 degrees will make a garage 110 and a Car over 100 easily.

I have seen Peen n Seal at Home Depot here and it says it's a rubberized asphalt. Now what it contains I will find out this evening when I go read the contents, but I am sure that the one thing we need to know is going to be a "trade secret" and listed as such, but we'll see. Thickness is a definite concern, but feeling both tells me that the aluminum backed roof flashing stocked here is not 1/3 the thickness of Raam mat, it's just a tad bit thinner. I won't buy a roll to find out, hopefully it's listed on the packaging.
It gets well over 90 here and I wouldn't work in a hot garage when it is. In any case, rubberized asphalt is the same thing as asphalt in this context. Rubber compounds are added to the asphalt to increase its heat tolerance. Used to be an MSDS on the MFM site but the link is broken now.

Old 09-03-2008   #106
DIYMA 500 Club

Car Audio Junky

Well, Home Depot doesn't stock Peel n Seal anymore, they sell this

http://www.cofair.com/roof.aspx

It didn't have any list of what it's comprised of on the physical packaging. According to the website it's an asphalt compound. It was very thin also.
Old 09-03-2008   #107
DIYMA 500 Club

Car Audio Junky

Quote:
It gets well over 90 here and I wouldn't work in a hot garage when it is. In any case, rubberized asphalt is the same thing as asphalt in this context. Rubber compounds are added to the asphalt to increase its heat tolerance. Used to be an MSDS on the MFM site but the link is broken now.
When it's near 90 degrees for most of the year, we in the South have no choice LOL
Old 09-03-2008   #108
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 121 Hispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, Home Depot doesn't stock Peel n Seal anymore, they sell this

http://www.cofair.com/roof.aspx

It didn't have any list of what it's comprised of on the physical packaging. According to the website it's an asphalt compound. It was very thin also.
Which is the stuff I started this thread aobut.

Oddly enough, I had no issues with this being overly smelly (just a hint when I open the door first thing in the morning....now on day 2 after install). I had no mess at all... (I found the Protectowrap slightly messier to work with, but that also went on very easy for me).

Is it just that I'm up north a bit? Are batches of this stuff very different too? I put the Protectowrap in my trunk this spring and don't have any issues with that getting sloppy/melting/etc.

Really as far as application and just working with, I find both home-depot products I've used pretty easy (especially compared to the old school stuff in the mid 90's...which is the last time I really did any deadening).

So as far as they work. I have no measuring equipment to do before and after beyond my ears, and it seems to be somewhat effective, and for comparison to other products, I can't really say that I'm going to drop 4$ per square foot to find out!

Anyway, I'm going to start a new thread on a similar subject.
Hispls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008   #109
ANT
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 369 ANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just noticed that you are from Maryland. Have you tried installing Peel n Seal that has been sitting in a 120 degree garage for a few days into a 110 degree car? Most anything will get gooey in Texas heat if left long enough. Maybe our Home Depot and Lowes stores carry different lines of material to coincide with different climates. I know that a Target here and a Target in San Antonio stock completely different merchandise as do most stores. That's just a 100 miles distance.
Just so you know, butyl does not get gooey.
Not even at 500 degrees.

Butyl will deteriorate, but will not liquefy.

This is why butyl usually does not fail and asphalt does.
Asphalt is similar to water only filled with other stuff. Imagine water, a glass of water, filled with sugar and maybe some food coloring. Mostly water though.
Water can freeze and thaw many times over right?
Liquid
Solid
Liquid
Solid
But if you heat it up enough, it will turn in to a gas and evaporate. Steam.
Now, lets say you heat that thick Coolaid mixture up for a minute and let it gas a bit. Then freeze then thaw then heat, then freeze then thaw..
Eventually what happens is all the water evaporates and you are left with crumbly, brittle, red, reduced sugar.

Same thing with the asphalt.
Only rather than having a freezing point of 32 and a gas point of 212, it is much more narrow.

Asphalt is very similar

Water
solid 32 degrees and less
liquid 33 degrees - 211
Gas 212 degree or higher

Asphalt
solid 180 degrees and less
liquid 181 degrees - 225
Gas 225 degree or higher

Now because there are oils and solvents, and filler and coalescents and a ton of other volatiles in the asphalt, it does not gas as much as water.
But it does gas.
Eventually, just like the sugar water, once the volatiles, solvents and coalescents are evaporated you a re left with a dry crumbly mess.

The thing about it however is most people will never get to this point.
Most will notice that once the product liquefies at 180 degrees, it starts to loose it tact. Not always immediately, but eventually.
I have often heard people suggest to others to purchase spray adhesive to glue the asphalt back in place. eD used to actually suggest, on their web site to do this if the product failed.
This would be like suggesting we use glue to attached an ice cube to the inside of an oven. Doesn’t work

So with a quality butyl damper, you will not have to worry about the liquid/solid state of the adhesive. Trying to get butyl to melt is like trying to get a loaf of bread to melt. Wont happen.
It will deteriorate, and burn, but it wont liquefy and fall of.
There is no such thing as a quality asphalt when it comes to vibration damping.

Hope that helps
ANT
ANT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008   #110
DIYMA 500 Club

Car Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMA View Post
Just so you know, butyl does not get gooey.
Not even at 500 degree.
Butyl will deteriorate, but will not liquefy.
This is why butyl usually does not fail and asphalt does
Asphalt is similar to water only filled with other stuff. Imagine water, a glass of water, filled with sugar and maybe some food coloring. Mostly water though.
Water can freeze and thaw many times over right?
Liquid
Solid
Liquid
Solid
But if you heat it up enough, it will turn in to a gas and evaporate
Now, lets say you heat that thick cool aid mix up for a minute and let it gas a but. Then freeze then thaw then heat, then freeze then thaw..
Eventually what happens is all the water evaporates and you are left with crumbly, brittle, res sugar.

Same thing with the asphalt.
Only rather than having a freezing point of 32 and a flash point of 212, it is much more narrow.

Asphalt is very similar

Water
solid 32 degrees and less
liquid 33 degrees - 211
Gas 212 degree or higher

Asphalt
solid 180 degrees and less
liquid 181 degrees - 225
Gas 225 degree or higher

Now because there are oils and solvents, and filler and coalescents and a ton of other volatiles in the asphalt, it does not gas as much as water.
But it does gas.
Eventually, just like the sugar water, once the volatiles, solvents and coalescents are evaporated you a re left with a dry crumbly mess.

The thing about it however is most people will never get to this point.
Most will notice that once the product liquefies at 180 degrees, it starts to loose it take. Not always immediately, but eventually.

I have often heard people suggest to others to purchase spray adhesive to glue the asphalt back in place. eD used to actually suggest, on their web site to do this if the product failed.
This would be like suggesting we use glue to attached an ice cube to the inside of an oven. Doesn’t work

So with a quality butyl damper, you will not have to worry about the liquid/solid state of the adhesive. Trying to get butyl to melt is like trying to get a loaf of bread to melt. Wont happen.
It will deteriorate, and burn, but it wont liquefy and fall of.
There is not such thing as a quality asphalt when it comes to vibration damping.

Hope that helps
ANT

I said MOST anything lol. Dynamat Extreme and Second Skin never got gooey. Just to clarify
Old 09-04-2008   #111
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 txbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enough

109 posts and where is Rick to chime in on his product? I would sure like to see his response on this as someone who has put 100+ sq ft of his product in my vehicle.

I think the word gooey may be being used in various different ways. Many posts, including some of mine, have alluded to raammat as being gooey, but in the context of how Ant has described gooey I would retract my statement of raammat as gooey. Based on how Ant is describing gooey, I'd have to say that my raammat was not gooey and was rather more soft or plyable and was sticky on the edges and transferrable.

To me, it looks and acts just like dynamat extreme, it just seems like the butyl compound is just a little bit softer. Sort of like the way you can hold a bit of bubble gum in your hand before you chew it without any transfer to your hand, but as soon as you chew it for even a second, it gets to be softer, more plyable and if held long enough it will transfer to your hand due to its increased stickyness. Both are still bubble gum, but one is a little softer, and stickier.

Silly analogy, but that's how I could best describe my experience with raammat over the one time I've touched any dynamat extreme.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008   #112
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 188 Mooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
To me, it looks and acts just like dynamat extreme, it just seems like the butyl compound is just a little bit softer.
If this is true, then it had to change formulas. There is no way you could ever confuse Dynamat Xtreme with this current batch of Raammat. They aren't even in the same ballpark, not even the same sport. Dynamat and Damplifier retain their integrity and shape and the butyl layer actually has an edge to it, this batch of Raammat is gooey and it spreads out and oozes out the sides of the roll. I have never seen Dynamat and Damplifier do this--ever. Also, when you pull Dynamat or Damplifier off to readjust the piece you are working on, they come off in one piece. Raammat pulls the butyl, or whatever we find out it is, away from the aluminum backing and you'll get half on the sheet and half left on your car.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Raammat is junk, just that it is not anything like the caliber of Dynamat or Damplifier. It is not "just like Dynamat, only cheaper." No way. Glenn's whole point all along was only to say, if you're just getting peel and seal, you shouldn't be paying more then peel and seal prices for it. Maybe the Raammat will stick and not run. I certainly hope so. Either way, I would never get it myself. I would rather pay a little more and get Damplifier or Dynamat on sale.

Pioneer 880PRS, Tru SSLD6, Morel Supremo Piccolo, Hertz ML 1600, Morel 12" Ultimo, Tru Copper C7.4, Clarion DPX11551

Last edited by Mooble; 09-04-2008 at 07:16 AM..
Mooble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008   #113
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 txbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enoughtxbonds will become famous soon enough

You are taking my post to literally.

Refine my comment further, when it is not yet installed and you are just holding two pieces side by side of raammat and dynamat extreme, the material looks like the same type material but the raammat feels softer. It's obvious when you get your rolls of raammat that the edges are going to be messy as it is on the plastic over wrap when you get it.

My point was to separate the way "gooey" is being used above and the way I used "gooey" earlier to describe raammat. My point about the bubble gum comment is that unchewed bubble gum and slightly chewed bubble gum are the same material. The chewed gum has obviously been stretched and had liquid added to it, which makes it softer and sometimes sticky depending on the brand.

The butyl deadner compounds seem to be similar. Not sure what is added to raammat butyl compound versus SS or Dynamat Ext., but at least compared to the Dynamat Extreme I've seen recently they seem the same just the raammat is a softer compound.

Does that make more sense?

But hell, I don't know. Maybe the raammat is a totally inferior product, and a year from now I may regret installing so much of it in my truck. I've not had any of the problems of running like mentioned in posts above, and while it was a bit stickier to work with, after about 10 feet of it I had the method down to install without too much transfer of material to my skin, and hardly any to my clothes. I'd sure like to know more about the raammat compound and what makes it different, but it's not like I can really do anything about mine now anyway since it's installed already.[/
Old 09-04-2008   #114
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 188 Mooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
I've not had any of the problems of running like mentioned in posts above, and while it was a bit stickier to work with, after about 10 feet of it I had the method down to install without too much transfer of material to my skin, and hardly any to my clothes. [/
There were two problems with installing it. One was the gooey factor. It stuck to EVERYTHING. Don't get me wrong, you want it to be sticky, but the difference is that Dynamat and Damplifier stick more to themselves than they do to skin. That is why you can pull it off. With Raammat, it will pull off the backing or even come off in chunks before it pulls off your skin. It needs more internal structural intergity.

The second problem is also gooeyness related. When we rolled out the Raammat, it oozed out from the seams leaving dozens of sticky stripes all over the car. We probably should have used aluminum flashing tape on the seams, but this is not necessary with Dynamat or Damplifier. With so many sticky stripes, it naturally found its way onto everything--shoes, clothes, seatbelts, etc.

Pioneer 880PRS, Tru SSLD6, Morel Supremo Piccolo, Hertz ML 1600, Morel 12" Ultimo, Tru Copper C7.4, Clarion DPX11551
Mooble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008   #115
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooble View Post
There were two problems with installing it. One was the gooey factor. It stuck to EVERYTHING. Don't get me wrong, you want it to be sticky, but the difference is that Dynamat and Damplifier stick more to themselves than they do to skin. That is why you can pull it off. With Raammat, it will pull off the backing or even come off in chunks before it pulls off your skin. It needs more internal structural intergity.

The second problem is also gooeyness related. When we rolled out the Raammat, it oozed out from the seams leaving dozens of sticky stripes all over the car. We probably should have used aluminum flashing tape on the seams, but this is not necessary with Dynamat or Damplifier. With so many sticky stripes, it naturally found its way onto everything--shoes, clothes, seatbelts, etc.
I gottcha. Well the first problem was one that I learned to cope with after a little installing time with it. The second one is one that I didn't have because I covered seams with tape as I went along and did all seams that were not inside a cavity like a door or something. Basically any place that wasn't enclosed in a hole that was covered like inside a door or window opening, I taped the edges. Pain in the but for sure, but I honestly think I'd have done it with any deadner for the simple fact of helping to tie the aluminium sheeting together into one barrier.
Old 09-04-2008   #116

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Headknocker will become famous soon enoughHeadknocker will become famous soon enoughHeadknocker will become famous soon enoughHeadknocker will become famous soon enoughHeadknocker will become famous soon enoughHeadknocker will become famous soon enough

I must live too far north(near Atlantic City) because I installed the generic asphalt-based mat from Parts Express on the doors of my black '98 CRV around six years ago and it's still holding like a champ....and I applied multiple layers in many areas. I live in a townhouse development without a garage so the vehicle gets pounded hard by the sun every single day.

I also installed two layers of the original RAAMmat to the floorpan at the same time. Of course, I wouldn't expect the RAAMmat to fall off since it's lying flat.

I had quite a bit of each in storage and I used both on the front doors of my wife's black Toyota FJ Cruiser around a month ago. I would've used something butyl-based this time but I didn't see the need to spend money on something which worked well for me the first time.

'98 CRV,Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X589 HU,Aura MR6.1 comps,Aura MR62 Integrated comps,Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12,US Acoustics USX-4065 & PG Octane 8.0:1
Headknocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008   #117
DIYMA 500 Club

OP

Rep Power: 144 goodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enough

I never really thought of the rammatt being gooey as a problem. I thought gooey was better because it would stick more...It was kind of like painting...yeah it can get real messy if you don't pay attention and do your prep work.

Your boom box better form a union,
cause I leave your circuits overworked.
goodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008   #118

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 111 stopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enough

used peal n seal in my old vehicle and the new stuff in my new vehicle .... never had melting or smelling problems.
stopdrpnro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008   #119

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 133 swtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enough

A few pages back someone mentioned Industrial Acoustical Insulation, well I got my catalog out at work and this is the best match I could find that sounded similar. This stuff is $14 for a 12X12" sheet and can be ordered in rolls up to 50' in length. How do these specs match up to the automotive varieties?

Material Type - Butyl Rubber

Shape - Sheets, Bars, and Strips

Backing - Adhesive

Adhesive Material - Acrylic

Thickness - 1/8"

Thickness Tolerance - ±0.020"

Length -12"

Length Tolerance - ±3/32"

Width - 12"

Width Tolerance - ±3/32"

Durometer - Medium Hard

Durometer Rating - 60A

Durometer Hardness Tolerance - ±5

Temperature Range - -40° to +225° F

Adhesive Temperature Range - +50° to +180° F

Tensile Strength - 1500 psi

Stretch Limit - 300%

Density - 84 lbs./cu. ft.

Color - Black

Specifications Met
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)

ASTM Specification
ASTM D2000 AA

Properties
Abrasion Resistant, Tear Resistant, Weather Resistant, Electrical Resistant
swtwc99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008   #120

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 109 theRESONANCE will become famous soon enoughtheRESONANCE will become famous soon enoughtheRESONANCE will become famous soon enoughtheRESONANCE will become famous soon enoughtheRESONANCE will become famous soon enoughtheRESONANCE will become famous soon enough

Um 12x12 = 1 Square feet. for 14 dollars ...
Must i say more ?
theRESONANCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008   #121

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 133 swtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enoughswtwc99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRESONANCE View Post
Must i say more ?
The more you order the cheaper it is.
Old 09-05-2008   #122
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRESONANCE View Post
Must i say more ?
Yeah, if that first 12 isn't feet, it's very expensive. If it is feet, it's very cheap It's very thick at 1/8" - 125 mils vs. most at 60 mils. It's also interesting that it has a distinct acrylic adhesive. For all of the automotive stuff, except products like Dynamat Original and Cascade VB2, the adhesive and the damping layer are the same thing.

Old 09-05-2008   #123

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Yeah, if that first 12 isn't feet, it's very expensive. If it is feet, it's very cheap It's very thick at 1/8" - 125 mils vs. most at 60 mils. It's also interesting that it has a distinct acrylic adhesive. For all of the automotive stuff, except products like Dynamat Original and Cascade VB2, the adhesive and the damping layer are the same thing.
To be honest I was more concerned about the properties of the material itself. I can get it in 1/16" sheets if that is more comparable to the automotive stuff. The reason I'm asking is that I can order this stuff for a project at work and use any that may be left over for my own personal use.
I have one other source for a sound insulator that uses EPDM rubber that is ALOT cheaper but I don't know much about that type.
Old 09-06-2008   #124
DIYMA 500 Club

Car Audio Junky

I have something to add to my little experiment with B Quiet, Raam Mat and Dynamat Extreme in mineral spirits. Raam Mat and B Quiet both dissolved after sitting for a day and a half. They left the mineral spirits dark black with a little sediment at the bottom. Strangely enough the Dynamat Extreme left the mineral spirits a light grey and had heavy sediment at the bottom. I am thinking this may be an indicator of butyl content? Does butyl dissolve in mineral spirits or do the binders dissolve?
Old 09-06-2008   #125
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Quote:
I have something to add to my little experiment with B Quiet, Raam Mat and Dynamat Extreme in mineral spirits. Raam Mat and B Quiet both dissolved after sitting for a day and a half. They left the mineral spirits dark black with a little sediment at the bottom. Strangely enough the Dynamat Extreme left the mineral spirits a light grey and had heavy sediment at the bottom. I am thinking this may be an indicator of butyl content? Does butyl dissolve in mineral spirits or do the binders dissolve?
The only result that I have any confidence in is brown liquid = asphalt. Raw butyl is white to off-white or light amber - Exxon's product data. The black seems to be the result of adding carbon black to the compound. No idea what this adds other than color. White tires probably wouldn't be a big hit In any case, it would take a real polymer guy to explain how all of this fits together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement