Home depot "dynamat" for real this time? - Page 7 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008   #151
ggk

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 110 ggk will become famous soon enoughggk will become famous soon enoughggk will become famous soon enoughggk will become famous soon enoughggk will become famous soon enoughggk will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Home depot "dynamat" for real this time?

this new product really interests me.(the stuff from diyma)

could you possible inform me? before i go spending money.
ggk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008   #152
ANT
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 372 ANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond repute

It is a product designed for home use. Not cars...
ANT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009   #153

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enough

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but as a new member I can't start a new one. After a lot of searching, this seems to be the closest thread to what I wanted to post.

So here goes,

Looking for cheap local altenatives to all the brand name CLD, MLVs and CCFs (I live in south america, so those products are not only kind of expensive by themselves, but I'd have to add shipping costs, and waiting time to that), I found a store that sells rolls of several materials I think I could use. I haven't gotten prices yet, but I'm wondering wheter these stuff would work reasonably well or not before asking for a quote.

They sell rolls or strips of: Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR), Natural Rubber (NR), Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR), Neoprene, Nitrile butadiene rubber (NBR), EPDM rubber (ethylene propylene diene Monomer), Hypalon, Viton, Butyl, Polyurethane, Telfon and Silicon.

Here's my thoughts:

CLD: I think Butyl could work. The only problem I see is that it's probably not self adhesive, and I'd need to cover its backside with some sort of aluminium foil.

MLV: I have no idea. Anyone have any suggestion as to what material (from that list) is best? Or maybe it depends on the density of said material rather than what material it is?

CCF: I think Neoprene would work well.

So, what do you think? Am I way off with what I have in mind as a CLD and CCF? Any and all MLV suggestions are appreciated as well.

Thanks!
sipirkakim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009   #154
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 190 Rudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond repute

Any material that is limp and dense will fill the role of MLV. If the neoprene is in closed cell foam form, it should be fine. Where it gets tricky is the CLD. The material you want for the damping layer is viscoelasticity - part way between liquid and elastic. The materials you listed sound like they are way over on the elastic side and that's no good for vibration damping - a purely elastic material simply returns all of the energy that enters it.
Rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009   #155

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 sipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enoughsipirkakim will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the quick answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
Any material that is limp and dense will fill the role of MLV.
I just calculated Luxury Liner's density, and it's something like 0.0203 (lb/in^3). I'll try to find something around that figure, but what is "limp" as a material property? I googled it and found nothing.

Quote:
If the neoprene is in closed cell foam form, it should be fine.
Cool.

Quote:
Where it gets tricky is the CLD. The material you want for the damping layer is viscoelasticity - part way between liquid and elastic. The materials you listed sound like they are way over on the elastic side and that's no good for vibration damping - a purely elastic material simply returns all of the energy that enters it.
What material gives the brand name butyl sheets their part-liquid characheristics? I thought they were just butyl+adhesive.
Old 09-23-2009   #156
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 190 Rudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipirkakim View Post
Thanks for the quick answer

I just calculated Luxury Liner's density, and it's something like 0.0203 (lb/in^3). I'll try to find something around that figure, but what is "limp" as a material property? I googled it and found nothing.

Cool.

What material gives the brand name butyl sheets their part-liquid characheristics? I thought they were just butyl+adhesive.
Limp is the opposite of rigid.

Butyl is a synthetic rubber. When compounded with other raw materials for use in CLDs it IS the adhesive. What you want is something that when stretched, returns to its original shape slowly. That how the vibrationsal energy is converted to heat.
Old 09-23-2009   #157

DIYMA freshman

Mmmm, I see. I assumed butyl sheets were pure butyl.

Thanks for the information
Old 09-23-2009   #158
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 Hispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipirkakim View Post
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but as a new member I can't start a new one. After a lot of searching, this seems to be the closest thread to what I wanted to post.

So here goes,

Looking for cheap local altenatives to all the brand name CLD, MLVs and CCFs (I live in south america, so those products are not only kind of expensive by themselves, but I'd have to add shipping costs, and waiting time to that), I found a store that sells rolls of several materials I think I could use. I haven't gotten prices yet, but I'm wondering wheter these stuff would work reasonably well or not before asking for a quote.

They sell rolls or strips of: Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR), Natural Rubber (NR), Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR), Neoprene, Nitrile butadiene rubber (NBR), EPDM rubber (ethylene propylene diene Monomer), Hypalon, Viton, Butyl, Polyurethane, Telfon and Silicon.

Here's my thoughts:

CLD: I think Butyl could work. The only problem I see is that it's probably not self adhesive, and I'd need to cover its backside with some sort of aluminium foil.

MLV: I have no idea. Anyone have any suggestion as to what material (from that list) is best? Or maybe it depends on the density of said material rather than what material it is?

CCF: I think Neoprene would work well.

So, what do you think? Am I way off with what I have in mind as a CLD and CCF? Any and all MLV suggestions are appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Alternately, US Post office has "flat rate" priority envelopes that go to south america for 11.5$ ish. It's a little bigger than a regular piece of paper and can be stuffed to nearly 2 inches thick. SO if you had a "friend" in the USA cut brand name stuff into smaller pieces it's a fair deal to ship heavy stuff that can be crammed into a small space to south america.

In other news I still have a combination of Home Depot products (both butyl and asphault/aluminum) and I have experienced NO melting and no smell after the first couple weeks. Then again, the hottest day we've had here this year is 90 F
Hispls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009   #159

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispls View Post
Alternately, US Post office has "flat rate" priority envelopes that go to south america for 11.5$ ish. It's a little bigger than a regular piece of paper and can be stuffed to nearly 2 inches thick. SO if you had a "friend" in the USA cut brand name stuff into smaller pieces it's a fair deal to ship heavy stuff that can be crammed into a small space to south america.
Interesting! I'll look into that, thanks.
Old 11-06-2009   #160

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 Ram4ever will become famous soon enoughRam4ever will become famous soon enoughRam4ever will become famous soon enoughRam4ever will become famous soon enoughRam4ever will become famous soon enoughRam4ever will become famous soon enough

Hi,

In trying to learn the various aspects of current damping technologies for use in my enormous under-construction custom van, I've been reading this thread with some interest.

While it's an old thread, I think some of the contention and speculation around butyl blends being somehow considered as entirely separate entities from asphalt blends may be a bit off target. A few details should be added for any future readers so they can get a better feel for what's actually in play.

The rubber in much of the commercial rubberized asphalt *is* butyl rubber. It's very common to add powdered butyl rubber to asphalt for many purposes, from building roads, to patching roofs, to yes; vibration damping.

If a blend formulation is off kilter, you may see the excessively gooey results which won't hold shape, or at the other end of the spectrum, less sticky and more rigid results, depending on the binder percentage, and the presence of any tackifiers.

In the tests where the damping material samples were were dissolved in mineral spirits, it seems to me that much of the black particulate residue is very likely butyl rubber powder and carbon black. With this test it's difficult to say whether the black samples contained any of the brownish asphalt or not; carbon black stays in suspension remarkably well, and can easily wick right through paper towels - look at India ink after all - it doesn't lose it's blackness as it wicks across a towel. Looking at color alone, it would require separating any suspended carbon black particles from the solution to tell for sure if there's asphalt present, which might require something like a centrifuge. The temperature related tests would be more definitive, but the various components in the blend can aggravate those results too. Basically, it's tricky business to test definitively without a lab.

There's a range of compositions which directly apply to accoustical damping, and while they may contain butyl rubber or asphalt, they often contain *both* butyl rubber *and* asphalt, so the "either it's butyl or it's asphalt" arguments just aren't good enough... it can be and often is both! Tailoring the component ratios to achieve the desired properties is where the art and profit lies. Unfortunately "manufacturing tolerances" and "war shortages" can creep into the picture to cause variance in the final products.

Here's a few US patent numbers to look into, which relate to damping and other sorts of materials using butyl rubber and asphalt. Some are even directly automotive related: 4838939, 4412864, 4287263, 5324758, 4430465.

Might also be worth doing a search for Patent Application #20090148712 - it deals with a viscoelastic damper panel.

Read these patents and you'll know a lot more than most folks. You can perform patent number numeric searches or text-based searches by going to the U.S. Patent Office search page, at PatFT » Page 1 of 1

I wish this thread would reanimate with some of the previous players to see how their installations have held up over time. Curious minds want to know!

Regards

Last edited by Ram4ever; 11-06-2009 at 04:28 AM..
Ram4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009   #161

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
perfection plus
Position:
fabricator/painter

Rep Power: 99 spmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enoughspmpdr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispls View Post
Picked up a couple rolls of this today, butyl with aluminum. Feels very very much like some of the expensive stuff out there....though I'm no conniseur.

I've always had the theory that the sound deadening we're sold it high priced re-branded some sort of industrial use something or other.

Anyway, this stuff =comes to a little over a buck a square foot. vs. 4$ or so for the name brand stuff.

Quick Roof Quick Roof Instant Waterproof Repair - QR625 at The Home Depot

Anyone seen this yet? tried it? I was going to do my floor today, but installed an extra sub and another pair of 1KW amps....I'm not sure what happened exactly, I guess I got a little sidetracked. I won't get a chance to put this in til late next week now, but for 16$ someone else ought to compare it to the name brand stuff (like someone who has name brand stuff floating around)
This stuff is rubber and asphalt based and really smells bad when it gets hot outside so if you live in a warm climate beware .Ive heard horror stories of this stuff stinking out peoples cars and its a bitch to get off
spmpdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009   #162
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Sound By Knight
Position:
Sales

Rep Power: 136 BKJT05 will become famous soon enoughBKJT05 will become famous soon enoughBKJT05 will become famous soon enoughBKJT05 will become famous soon enoughBKJT05 will become famous soon enoughBKJT05 will become famous soon enough

guys, i used the peel and seal in my ranger and i live in el paso tx where summer is 105+ daily. i havent had any smell come out from the heat. i also only used it on my doors, but no smell. plan on using it on my new project truck as well.

Alpine CDA-9887...Clarion EQS746...SHURiKEN SK-BT20...Knu Wire...Kicker 08zx700.5...Alpine Type R Comps...JBL GTO 12"
BKJT05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009   #163
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Been here long time

Rep Power: 918 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKJT05 View Post
guys, i used the peel and seal in my ranger and i live in el paso tx where summer is 105+ daily. i havent had any smell come out from the heat. i also only used it on my doors, but no smell. plan on using it on my new project truck as well.

Try SDS, save yourself the trouble of putting a crappy deadener in a vehicle.

I can't understand why one would take all the time and effort and yes, money too and waste it on an inferior product. CLD tiles are not all created equal, this much I can guarantee. Go SDS or consider some of the deals available on secondskin, too. Ant hooks it up sometimes.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, Build MS-8, Massive NX4 pair, Massive N3, ID X6x9, Wavecor center, Alpine SPX Pro tweeters, Sundown SD3 10's
2017 Colorado, Helix V Eight, Arc 500.1, ID8's, Audible Physics AR3 & AR20
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009   #164
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 Hispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4ever View Post
Hi,

In trying to learn the various aspects of current damping technologies for use in my enormous under-construction custom van, I've been reading this thread with some interest.

While it's an old thread, I think some of the contention and speculation around butyl blends being somehow considered as entirely separate entities from asphalt blends may be a bit off target. A few details should be added for any future readers so they can get a better feel for what's actually in play.

The rubber in much of the commercial rubberized asphalt *is* butyl rubber. It's very common to add powdered butyl rubber to asphalt for many purposes, from building roads, to patching roofs, to yes; vibration damping.

If a blend formulation is off kilter, you may see the excessively gooey results which won't hold shape, or at the other end of the spectrum, less sticky and more rigid results, depending on the binder percentage, and the presence of any tackifiers.

In the tests where the damping material samples were were dissolved in mineral spirits, it seems to me that much of the black particulate residue is very likely butyl rubber powder and carbon black. With this test it's difficult to say whether the black samples contained any of the brownish asphalt or not; carbon black stays in suspension remarkably well, and can easily wick right through paper towels - look at India ink after all - it doesn't lose it's blackness as it wicks across a towel. Looking at color alone, it would require separating any suspended carbon black particles from the solution to tell for sure if there's asphalt present, which might require something like a centrifuge. The temperature related tests would be more definitive, but the various components in the blend can aggravate those results too. Basically, it's tricky business to test definitively without a lab.

There's a range of compositions which directly apply to accoustical damping, and while they may contain butyl rubber or asphalt, they often contain *both* butyl rubber *and* asphalt, so the "either it's butyl or it's asphalt" arguments just aren't good enough... it can be and often is both! Tailoring the component ratios to achieve the desired properties is where the art and profit lies. Unfortunately "manufacturing tolerances" and "war shortages" can creep into the picture to cause variance in the final products.

Here's a few US patent numbers to look into, which relate to damping and other sorts of materials using butyl rubber and asphalt. Some are even directly automotive related: 4838939, 4412864, 4287263, 5324758, 4430465.

Might also be worth doing a search for Patent Application #20090148712 - it deals with a viscoelastic damper panel.

Read these patents and you'll know a lot more than most folks. You can perform patent number numeric searches or text-based searches by going to the U.S. Patent Office search page, at PatFT » Page 1 of 1

I wish this thread would reanimate with some of the previous players to see how their installations have held up over time. Curious minds want to know!

Regards
Damn...this guy's done his homework!!!

OP here. Still no failure with mine and I've done my whole floor and multiple layers in each front door and trunk. First summer there was some smell for a few weeks, but nothing since (none this summer period).

Personally I think some creativity in sealing seems would likely knock out all smell period as the foil back certainly won't pass odors....so say the foil/rubberized asphault + foil tape at seems would likely keep smell down to nothing...personally I can tolerate smell for a few weeks more than I want to shell out hundreds of dollars.

Anyway. I'm happy with results and price and will likely shop Home Depot for dampening products in my next install.
Hispls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009   #165

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 whiskers will become famous soon enoughwhiskers will become famous soon enoughwhiskers will become famous soon enoughwhiskers will become famous soon enoughwhiskers will become famous soon enoughwhiskers will become famous soon enough

Hi, I have been reading about different deadening products recently and have seen an install that involved laying a layer of aluminum duct tape between the door and the deadening material.

I thought this was a good idea for several reasons:
Adds a layer of mass to the metal
Provides a clean surface for the deadening material to stick to
Provides an easier-to-remove material in case one decides to remove/replace the deadening in the future (aluminum tape is not fun to remove, but I imagine it's easier and cleaner to remove than the butyl/asphalt adhesives).

Does anyone think using a layer of aluminum tape between the door and the deadening material is a bad idea?
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009   #166
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
Hi, I have been reading about different deadening products recently and have seen an install that involved laying a layer of aluminum duct tape between the door and the deadening material.

I thought this was a good idea for several reasons:
Adds a layer of mass to the metal
Provides a clean surface for the deadening material to stick to
Provides an easier-to-remove material in case one decides to remove/replace the deadening in the future (aluminum tape is not fun to remove, but I imagine it's easier and cleaner to remove than the butyl/asphalt adhesives).

Does anyone think using a layer of aluminum tape between the door and the deadening material is a bad idea?
I do. To be effective, the vibration damper need to be in direct contact with the sheet metal.
Old 12-28-2009   #167

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 DougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enough

As mentioned somewhere in this thread, products like Peel & Seal will lose any effectiveness that they may have had over time. I used P&S in my wife's vehicle some 6 years ago. After about 3yrs, it started to become slightly brittle (it was drying out) and was no longer adhering to the surface.

Do not waste time and $ with P&S. It is $ that should be spent on a product designed for the application at hand.
DougJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009   #168
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 526 Ziggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a leaky metal roof at duck camp... Can I use a 3year old roll of eDead to seal the the holes -Or do I need to use a new roll of Peal and Seal?
Seriously, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
My phone makes and receives calls, and can tell me the news while I'm dropping a deuce... it works just fine for me.
'01 Silverado 2500HD ~HU: DXZ785usb ~amp:eD nine.5 ~mids:ID OEM 6.5 ~twtrs: Morel MDT29 ~Sub: Boston G5 12 (center console by "unpredictableacts")
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011   #169

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 anthonyott99 will become famous soon enoughanthonyott99 will become famous soon enoughanthonyott99 will become famous soon enoughanthonyott99 will become famous soon enoughanthonyott99 will become famous soon enoughanthonyott99 will become famous soon enough

Ive used Peel and Seal for years and never had any trouble with it. Temps well over 100 and nothing happened, its all in the prep, clean everything with alcohol and apply it with a heat gun and you will have no problems !!!!!! Mine has been in my doors and attached to my outer door skins even for over 2 years and still looks the same and holds the same as day 1.
anthonyott99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011   #170
ANT
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 372 ANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyott99 View Post
Ive used Peel and Seal for years and never had any trouble with it. Temps well over 100 and nothing happened, its all in the prep, clean everything with alcohol and apply it with a heat gun and you will have no problems !!!!!! Mine has been in my doors and attached to my outer door skins even for over 2 years and still looks the same and holds the same as day 1.

Please do not spread such bogus bs on this forum..
Just becuase you had a good experince with it, in no way translates in to the ability to tell other people how it will work for them.
Old 03-22-2011   #171
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 66 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMA View Post
Please do not spread such bogus bs on this forum..
Just becuase you had a good experince with it, in no way translates in to the ability to tell other people how it will work for them.
What's wrong with what he said? I've used Peel N Seal (without a heatgun) and my experience mirrors his. And I live in TX.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011   #172

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 115 stopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enoughstopdrpnro will become famous soon enough

i too have used peal and seal for about 6 years now in several vehicels with no issues.

it does smell for about a week though
stopdrpnro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011   #173

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 118 DiamondFanatic will become famous soon enoughDiamondFanatic will become famous soon enoughDiamondFanatic will become famous soon enoughDiamondFanatic will become famous soon enoughDiamondFanatic will become famous soon enoughDiamondFanatic will become famous soon enough

I'm starting the install in my new vehicle next week. I'm using Dynamat Extreme and Dynaliner.

I have used both in the past, and they worked great with zero problems.

I have no idea why you guys get such a hard on for saving a couple dollars with annoying sheet sizes in the peel n stick stuff that has such mixed results. I mean 36 ft^2 (bulk pack) of Dynamat Extreme is $156 shipped on eBay. That's enough to easily do your doors, trunk, and front floor. You also don't need that much in terms of square footage to get the job done quite well.

Personally, my car is the most valuable thing I own (no house), and I would be pissed at myself if in the process of saving $100 I ruined my carpet, doorpanels or had the leather scent replaced with asphalt.

Have fun playing around at Home Depot if you must though...
DiamondFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011   #174
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyott99 View Post

This really has nothing to do with surface preparation or application technique - except that heating asphalt to improve immediate adhesive strength will accelerate the process that can lead to melting. Rubber compounds are added to the asphalt in these products to improve heat tolerance. Heat causes the rubber to deteriorate more quickly than it would otherwise. This deterioration occurs over time no matter what you do, but heating makes this happen faster. Two processes occur simultaneously:
  1. Rubber breaks down, heat tolerance decreases.
  2. VOC's outgas, the stuff dries out.

The only possible outcomes are that the asphalt will melt, or it will turn into completely inert, hard crud.

This used to be the debate: durability vs cost. That's really moot at this point. Asphalt is such a poor vibration damper that it takes 6-10 times as much to even approach the performance of a medium grade purpose built vibration damper. Butyl flashing tape is not much more effective although it is less likely to fail. A constrained layer vibration damper requires an adhesive designed for the job ("butyl" covers a wide range of formulations) and it needs a constraining layer that is strong enough to resist deformation of the adhesive layer.

The danger of endorsing this product because it hasn't failed for you is that it leads others to think that the issue is durability and that if they follow a special procedure they can avoid the pitfalls. That would be the wrong conclusion to draw. To me it's like arguing over whether or not drinking your own urine will make you sick. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but why would you want to do it in the first place?
Old 03-23-2011   #175
ANT
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
What's wrong with what he said? I've used Peel N Seal (without a heatgun) and my experience mirrors his. And I live in TX.

It is pretty obvious to me, but I will expalin.
What he said was basically " Do this, and you will be fine"
He laid out a flawed method to install a flawed product and garanteed perfect results. Those of us that know better will be able to say with 100% certainty, that should anyone follow his advice, and do exactly as he instructed, the guaranty he makes will mean absolutely nothing.
Will he come to your house and clean up the asphalt when/if it melts on your amps? Upholstery? Carpet? Windows? Door locks?
Doubtful.

I smoked for 20 years and never got cancer. Do the same and you wont get cancer either!

Same type of bullshit.

Now, if he would have phrased it differently and said: "I never had any issues and I used heat to install it. Maybe you should try it too and see how it goes!"
That would be a different story. Thos were not his words though. He basically claimed that his luck was universal.
When it comes to asphalt, only one thing is universal. The melting point. This cnanot be changed. Just like ice liquifies at 33 degrees, asphalt has its own glass transmission temperature and once met, it is all over.

ANT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement