JVC CS-AW8240 12" Arsenal Sub, 1000w RMS -- a review - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 118 elvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enough

Default JVC CS-AW8240 12" Arsenal Sub, 1000w RMS -- a review

Well i've had this sub for a while but not in a spec sized box or a camera worth shooting it with. I bought this sub because when i first started getting into SQ audio 4 r 5 months ago, i somehow thought this sub was recommended on this site. After searching now, i really cant find anyone on this site or anywhere else that actually uses one of these. Not people that didnt like it, but used it in general. All i can find is one review giving it stellar ratings from caraduiomag. Anyways, these are often available new on Ebay for around $200 which is what i paid for it. Here's my basic review and i would love any questions or requests for further testing.

Basic Impressions on physical appearance

This is a beautiful sub. Gorgeous. It kind of worried me because i was hoping the metal cast around the back of this sub was not hiding anything they didn't want me to see on the inside. The paint is a deep gloss black with a delicate flake, it looks powder coated and durable. No visible damage. The jumper-plug thing looks pretty cool. It's a pull out plug you can flip to adjust the resistance settings of the amp since its DVC. The two built in fuses give me some hope it will last a long time, but im honestly not sure about that as i don't have enough subwoofer knowledge to understand why you need fuses on a sub. I assume its to snap if the + and - cross so your amp doesnt blow that way. The surround is massive, especially for a 12" sub. It compares to my 15" brahma in girth! It came with a "smart trim ring" which was very confusing and odd because it really doesnt protect the sub but instead makes your install look cleaner...thats good i guess? The huge logo on the cone isn't my favorite thing ive ever seen, but hey, if JVC makes a killer product why shouldn't they want the world to know it?

Testing in a 2.2 cu.ft. sealed box

Im powering the sub with a JL 1000.1 amp, running at 4Ω. The jumper was nearly impossible to remove. What the heck, it's supposed to make installs easier i though...i had to use pliers and rip that beast out, now its a little chewed up. I installed it inversely because it was meant to be installed either way and for my install the inverse works better since im using a shallow box. The screws it comes with have a tall head that the smart ring pushes into, it's actually pretty nifty and makes an install look very clean. My box was just for testing so its UGLY UGLY UGLY using scrap MDF, but it's sealed well and works for this testing. The sub is not fully broken in yet, maybe 20hrs at low volume max in the prior 1.cu.ft box i had. Anywyas, onto the sound

I've fallen in love with an artist named, "Yelle" who is french 8-bit inspired electronica pop....i highly recommend her if you have a broad musical taste and appreciate experimental pop. Her tracks are rather spaced and have large gaps of frequencies since its pretty much solid simplified electronica with a hot chick singing vocals. I like this for some testing because it's easy to hear seperation and not a mush of sounds. There are some LOW tones in this music too, my brahma would shake the car apart on track 3, so i tested that one.

The next song i chose was one im VERY VERY familiar with as it's my favorite song; Thank You by Led Zeppelin in the live BBC recording. This is NOT a perfect recording and is live, so it has some grit and errors here and there. This is exactly why i test with it! IMO, you can tell a lot about a sub by how accurately it portrays a POOR recording when compared with good recordings. This is not in anyways a poor recording, but its nothing compared to some of the greats. John Paul Jones lays good thick bass and an organ has some low hits that would stand interesting. Also, John Bonhams enormous kick and low toms would have to be tested since they are such an icon.

Personally, i love the recordings of Dave Matthews. They seem clean and crisp, also im very familiar with them. "Ants go Marching" is a great bass track, it's got huge range of bass guitar playing and some slides that are beautiful and alone.

These are the only 3 tracks i really have tested with time so far.

Results

This sub has an oddly soft sound to it, in a great way. I'd call my Brahma 15 MKI's sound...being hit with thick butter on a concrete wall. great sound and tone that is thick, accurate, and filling. My two Earthquake 12"s i would call...Having large stones thrown at you in a biblical sense. They were loud, but very harsh and un-distinguishible, very similiar to a kicker sound. I would call this JVC a pillow fight with Hulk hogan. It hits hard but doesn't have the same impact and pressure sense of the brahma or other SPL featured subs ive heard.

Sub is set at 100hz Xover @ 24db

The Yelle track showed a "weakness", the low tones in the track were not nearly as audible or loud as the tones in its more suitable frequencies. I'm also running no bass boost though, to have accurate testing. The bass was very tight and accurate and did not seem to drop out suddenly when the bass sounds got higher in tone. The lower tones did seem to be lacking which bothered me...it could be the initial flaw of a 12" speaker though.

Thank you was an interesting sound. It sounded a little flustered, when the drum fills and bass were coming in but i really think its a good thing. My studio monitors always seem to get a "confused" sound at these parts in the track. The bass guitar really did sing throughout most of the track and Bonham's kick sounded VERY VERY acoustic, it sounded like a kick, not like a kick through a sub.

Dave proved to be the perfect audio for the JVC. The bass guitar here was a gorgeous thing. The slides and lead-style-trills were gorgeous and everything was immaculate in separation. I really don't know what to say besides it sounded exactly like it should! At high volumes it didn't turn shrill or harsh but instead just sounded like a bass amp in your face...perfect.

The only real probelm i've encountered is that it seems to start and give off "that electronic smell" before i push what i assume is 1000w through it. In my mind, im getting around 600w when it gives off that smell. This was in both boxes too.

IMO, this is a SQ sub. One of these in a ride is NOT going to be the sub you buy to bump rap tones and get the neighborhood attention, it's just not meant for that. Ive heard that you can cross these very high, even sounding correct at 300-400hz, i haven't tried yet but will soon. After playing around with it for a bit, im liking a 100hz Xover with a slow cutoff. It blends very well.

If anyone wants me to test things with it i'd love to! This is a great sub for $200-300!

[/img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2901782877_44c92a3680.jpg?v=0[/img]

Seattle WA -2001 PT Cruiser- Pioneer 960MP, JL 1000/1,300/2, Soundstream 550, VC100 Tweets, Dayton RS1000, RS225, JVC CS-AW8240, Audiocontrol EQT
elvisjer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 elitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JVC CS-AW8240 12" Arsenal Sub, 1000w RMS -- a review

I think the fuses are to protect the coils in the case of the amp clipping. Are you still enjoying the sub? I'm torn between it and a few other SQ drivers I've been reading up on. So far this one, like you said, is kind of in the shadows and isn't used by many.
elitecrewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 118 elvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enoughelvisjer will become famous soon enough

I wish more people did use it! Its visually one of the best looking subs i have ever seen bar none, but honestly i don't think i've heard enough SQ subs to give it a good honest comparison. I've been to car toys and compared it to the standards like the W7 and whatnot and the ones mentioned in the review. I still love it, the tone is beautiful my only fuss is that after hearing the low tones my brahma can hit, i have a desire for a little stronger hits on low frequencies. I am going to make a ported box for it soon because i really think it will perform at its best in a ported enclosure built to spec since it has such a huge range. I'm considering buying a second one, but i really dont have the air space for it. I LOVE it. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. What kind of subs have/do you have to compare it to?

Seattle WA -2001 PT Cruiser- Pioneer 960MP, JL 1000/1,300/2, Soundstream 550, VC100 Tweets, Dayton RS1000, RS225, JVC CS-AW8240, Audiocontrol EQT
elvisjer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Thor Industries
Position:
Lightning bolt delivery

Rep Power: 163 mvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mvw2 Send a message via MSN to mvw2

This sub isn't for ported enclosures. If you want better low end response, put it in a bigger sealed box. The problem right now is it's in a rather small enclosure. The size isn't bad for general use, but it will greatly limit low end extension since the motor isn't monstrous relative to the suspension system (high Qes/Qts). This means the box has a big influence on low end response or the constraining there of, and you simply can't power your way through. The box size you're shooting for is pretty much as large as you can fit.

You can do ported and kind of get a flat shaped response within a dB or two. However, group delay will be very large, and notes can sound delayed and disconnected.

Just stay sealed, build as large a box as you're willing to fit, and moderately stuff it with polyfill.

No lawn darts in the fairway! This is a golf course damn it!
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 elitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enoughelitecrewman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisjer View Post
I wish more people did use it! Its visually one of the best looking subs i have ever seen bar none, but honestly i don't think i've heard enough SQ subs to give it a good honest comparison. I've been to car toys and compared it to the standards like the W7 and whatnot and the ones mentioned in the review. I still love it, the tone is beautiful my only fuss is that after hearing the low tones my brahma can hit, i have a desire for a little stronger hits on low frequencies. I am going to make a ported box for it soon because i really think it will perform at its best in a ported enclosure built to spec since it has such a huge range. I'm considering buying a second one, but i really dont have the air space for it. I LOVE it. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. What kind of subs have/do you have to compare it to?
None, this will be my first SQ setup for a car, and I'm still looking at which driver I'll be buying. Back in 2003 I build a ported box to house two 15in cerwin vega D4 strokers in the back of a 1989 honda prelude SI and ran them off of an autotek mx5000 amp. So not very SQ lol. I haven't heard anything other than a crappy kicker l5 setup and a ok JL 12w3 setup.

What is really aggravating, is I've built my 180sx from the ground up and the most time I've spent researching any 1 product to go in it will be the stupid subwoofer.
elitecrewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement