LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 jingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enough

Default 7-8" sub as midbass in front door?

obviously needs to run free-air/IB, mostly interested in 80-250hz area, have sub in trunk for sub-80 duties. ive been looking at things like the hz space 8 and even the kicker 6.5" subs. should i stick with a speaker marketed as a midbass or can i use a sub as long as its good with IB/free air install? thanks!
jingle-jangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 88 rockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 7-8" sub as midbass in front door?

Yes you can. Mostly depends on how well you kill rattles around the door.
< Look closely at that problem.
Search DIYMA for those driver in that application. Since others have tried it.
Also look into Peerless sls8. Its plays low enough to cover some sub and play midbass. Just a thought.

Eclipse>MS-8>Dyn's>IDQ
rockondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 jingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enoughjingle-jangle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockondon View Post
Yes you can. Mostly depends on how well you kill rattles around the door.
< Look closely at that problem.
Search DIYMA for those driver in that application. Since others have tried it.
Also look into Peerless sls8. Its plays low enough to cover some sub and play midbass. Just a thought.
thanks for the feedback. i will look into the peerless. the hertz drivers are very hard to find. what i was thinking was a sub designed for free air would be best, but just using 80hz+ or so,,, maybe as low as 60+ if it can work out that way in the doors. if that would work out i think it would bring the bass stage forward nicely, with the stress taken off the normal midbasses (5.25 in kick panels). I could put as much as 150w per door this way. mids would be 35w and tweets active at 35w also. everything active actually via a combination of electronic crossovers.

EDIT: ouch a 4" mounting depth on that peerless... one thing about the hertz space 8, very minimal mounting depth!! any other suggestions on possible shallow-mount drivers that would work well in IB mode? yes, i will search also.

Last edited by jingle-jangle; 01-02-2009 at 11:19 PM..
Old 01-03-2009   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 fishpro will become famous soon enoughfishpro will become famous soon enoughfishpro will become famous soon enoughfishpro will become famous soon enoughfishpro will become famous soon enoughfishpro will become famous soon enough

These are 6.5's that I was going to try out. For the price, if it doesn't work out the price is right.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-025
good luck
fishpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #5

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
These are 6.5's that I was going to try out. For the price, if it doesn't work out the price is right.
Parts Express:Pyramid W64 6-1/2" Pro Plus Midbass Woofer
good luck
pretty high Q, which would be good for an IB setup, right? Is a door considered an IB or free air... probably a philosophical question. Car is a 1989 BMW M3, FYI. Dont hate me for cutting doors on an original M3, car is in ROUGH shape but still drives great and makes a great daily driver. its almost stealth in its current condition, except for batmobile body shape and wing. im pretty sure an 8" sub would work in the forward part of the doors, if i can get the specs right for door mounting an 8" sub... most ive seen are for sealed/vented boxes, not free air or IB...

Ive found an interesting option via searching:
Kicker 04SSMB8 (marketed as 8" midrange and free-air capable, relatively shallow 2 5/16" depth)

anyone have experience with the kicker? I had a pair of C-10 kickers back in the day, both in my car and i moved them to a pair of large floor-standing enclosures in my dorm room/college apartment at one point and with just 50w (each) from an old pioneer stereo, they shook the whole building. watching "backdraft" was a revelation! anyway that is the limit of my kicker experience.
Old 01-03-2009   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 88 rockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enoughrockondon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingle-jangle View Post
pretty high Q, which would be good for an IB setup, right? Is a door considered an IB or free air... probably a philosophical question. Car is a 1989 BMW M3, FYI. Dont hate me for cutting doors on an original M3, car is in ROUGH shape but still drives great and makes a great daily driver. its almost stealth in its current condition, except for batmobile body shape and wing. im pretty sure an 8" sub would work in the forward part of the doors, if i can get the specs right for door mounting an 8" sub... most ive seen are for sealed/vented boxes, not free air or IB...

Ive found an interesting option via searching:
Kicker 04SSMB8 (marketed as 8" midrange and free-air capable, relatively shallow 2 5/16" depth)

anyone have experience with the kicker? I had a pair of C-10 kickers back in the day, both in my car and i moved them to a pair of large floor-standing enclosures in my dorm room/college apartment at one point and with just 50w (each) from an old pioneer stereo, they shook the whole building. watching "backdraft" was a revelation! anyway that is the limit of my kicker experience.
Yes I do. And they suck ,like a 6 out of 10.^^ They wont really handle much below 60hz. And cant take the power they claim without bottoming out.
But im sure it's just me. As other think they are the shizzill.

Eclipse>MS-8>Dyn's>IDQ
Old 01-03-2009   #7

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Yes I do. And they suck ,like a 6 out of 10.^^ They wont really handle much below 60hz. And cant take the power they claim without bottoming out.
But im sure it's just me. As other think they are the shizzill.
i want to start rolling them off at about 60-80, so below that wont really matter. what i want is robust/clean output above that point. i could live with 100hz rolloff in fact, as long as the output around that rolloff point was robust enough to compete with 500w 2x12" subs in trunk.

where and how do you have yours mounted and what crossover setup do you have? i can put between 50-150watts RMS into each door.
Old 01-04-2009   #8

DIYMA Novice

I gave mine away after trying them out for about a week. If you are intent on trying them ,the 80-100hz highpass is fine. IIRC they say they recomend a lowpass of 500hz. That seems fair to me.
I gave ,and installed them into a friends rear deck. Highpass them at 80hz with no lowpass from the 30x2 amp. Im thinking 45-50 watts is all they need.

Eclipse>MS-8>Dyn's>IDQ
Old 01-04-2009   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
I gave mine away after trying them out for about a week. If you are intent on trying them ,the 80-100hz highpass is fine. IIRC they say they recomend a lowpass of 500hz. That seems fair to me.
I gave ,and installed them into a friends rear deck. Highpass them at 80hz with no lowpass from the 30x2 amp. Im thinking 45-50 watts is all they need.
im not intent on anything at this point! just gathering information. thank you for the input. as they are marketed as midranges i wouldnt expect them to do "much" under 80-100hz, although thinking about it, i wonder how much better it would be to have an actual sub functioning in the midbass freq area, since it will be capable of lower freqs even though im not asking much of them down low. there will always be some signal an octave below the rolloff, and the attempt to reproduce that signal will necessarily color the midbass area. also with more capacity down low it gives more flexibility about moving the percieved bass stage forward...

Last edited by jingle-jangle; 01-04-2009 at 07:32 AM..
Old 01-04-2009   #10

DIYMA Novice

Sorry got cofused ,I thought you were going to get the Kickers.
The sls8 can do well as a low playing midbass in a box. Model it on winid to play around if you want.
But there are many other good choices. I just cant comment on what i hav'nt
used or heard. Many like the CDT m6 as a low playing as a mid/sub.
Just a thought.
IMO Your last idea is best, get a small sub and play it high. 150hz

Eclipse>MS-8>Dyn's>IDQ
Old 02-10-2009   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 109 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

What about the Polk db804DVC?

Newegg.com - Polk Audio db804DVC 8" 360W Marine Subwoofer

Almost always on sale for $29.99 with free shipping, 30-200HZ frequency response.
chithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

That's What She Said

12V Company:
Honky Mo Fo Audio
Position:
H.C.I.C. - Head Cracker In Charge

Rep Power: 109 chithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura aboutchithead has a spectacular aura about

Oh wait. 4.56" mounting depth. Nevermind...
chithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 74 robspeed325i will become famous soon enoughrobspeed325i will become famous soon enoughrobspeed325i will become famous soon enoughrobspeed325i will become famous soon enoughrobspeed325i will become famous soon enoughrobspeed325i will become famous soon enough

i am doing the same thing in my 91 325i, with Pioneer 8" shallow subs. They are very stiffly suspended which should be good for midbass production. its a very interestingly designed woofer. i only have one which i bought off ebay very cheaply... too good of a deal to pass up. so im only going to do one door at a time until i can afford the other sub. out of an abundance of caution i also bought some (also very cheap) custom 3/4" spacer rings (also off ebay) as the e30 doors are very thin and once I cut the door panel i want to definitely be able to actually mount the woofer in there. Where the woofer will go in the door will be up high forward of the door handle, between there and the dash. Even if it sticks out of the door a total of 1.5-2" with the spacer, woofer, and grille (non-custom 8" which doesnt quite fit around the woofer frame as it should, so it sits on top of the frame), it will still look OK. More importantly, it hopefully will SOUND good!
robspeed325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #14

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 orangelss will become famous soon enoughorangelss will become famous soon enoughorangelss will become famous soon enoughorangelss will become famous soon enoughorangelss will become famous soon enoughorangelss will become famous soon enough

Dont do the kickers. In my experience they roll off to quickly to be called a midbass. Try the dayton rs 8s. Impressive for little $
orangelss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #15

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 98 RMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enoughRMAT will become famous soon enough

DLS - Products

Specifications
Woofer size 8" / 20 cm
Impedance 4 ohm
Outer diameter of woofer 210 mm / 8,3"
Mounting depth 70 mm / 2,75"
Magnet size 85 mm / 3,35"
Mounting hole 180 mm / 7,1"
Power handling capacity 100 W RMS
Max power handling capacity 160 W
Frequency range 45 - 5000 Hz
Sensitivity 90,3 dB
T/S parameters
single V/C Fs 50,4 Hz Re 3,5 Ohm Qms 3,06
Vas 24,3 liter Vas 0,86 Cuft Qes 0,46
Qts 0,4 Sd 227 cm² BL 8,4

'08 G35x - Hertz HSK163 - PPI P900.4 - SI BMmkIII - PPI P1000.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
...one them new fangled fancy schmancy double din bluetooth ipod boogity bloo blob blee touch screen so you can rest medicine head units.
RMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 83 tintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enoughtintbox will become famous soon enough

I have the Kicker 8's in my doors now. Not bad but handle anything under 80hz and bottom very quickly. There a nice midbass but when you really won't them to perform they don't show up for the party. My .02.
tintbox is offline   Reply With Quote