LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 NOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to NOFATTYS

Default Building a SQ system, what else will I need? Long but I need help

I am learning a ton on this board, but sometimes too much info can be just as disastrous as too little. I tried to do a search on system building and planning, but after 150 threads, I gave up and decided to post this. This is what I have so far...just looking for what I am missing to do this the right way the first time.

Vehicle - 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Head Unit - OEM Premium Blaupunkt
Front Stage - Zapco CK-16.2 running active
Rear Fill - None
Subwoofer - Zapco CW-12
Tweeter Amp - Zapco DC350.2 100x2 @ 4ohms
Midbass Amp - Zapco DC350.2 100x2 @4ohms
Sub Amp - Zapco DC500.1 500x1 @ 2ohm
AudioControl DQL-8 for OEM Integration
3 SLDIN.03 3 ft Zapco Simbilink Cables to connect amps
1 SLDIN.Y Zapco Simbilink Y connector for connecting the amps

This is what I think I am missing...feel free to add as needed

Distribution Block
1/0 gauge wire for battery to distribution block Knukonceptz
1/0 gauge wire for battery to ground Knukonceptz
4gauge wire from distribution block to amplifiers Knukonceptz
4gauge wire from amplifiers to ground Knukonceptz
12gauge wire for speakers to amplifier Knukonceptz
10 gauge wire for subwoofer to amplifier Knukonceptz
16gauge wire to connect high level HU outputs to DQL-8 Knukonceptz
Techflex
Heatshrink
Cable ties
5 gallons of Second Skin Spectrum
Spectrum Spray Gun
160 Sq Ft of Second Skin Deamplifier

What I am not sure about :
Fuses - but not sure what sizes I need
Terminal Connections
Higher Output Battery
Positive Battery Terminal from Knukonceptz? not sure which one
Negative Battery Terminal from Knu? again not sure which one

I know this was incredibley long, but I would love to do this correctly the first time and know how much more money I will be spending to put it all together. I appreciate everyones time and help.
NOFATTYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 109 nickgonzo will become famous soon enoughnickgonzo will become famous soon enoughnickgonzo will become famous soon enoughnickgonzo will become famous soon enoughnickgonzo will become famous soon enoughnickgonzo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Building a SQ system, what else will I need? Long but I need help

For fuses take a look at the manuals of the amps.

I always have to take 2-3 trips to the store when I do an install, lol. I'd be very impressed if you didn't have to do that. GL man
nickgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 92 gsr22 will become famous soon enoughgsr22 will become famous soon enoughgsr22 will become famous soon enoughgsr22 will become famous soon enoughgsr22 will become famous soon enoughgsr22 will become famous soon enough

i went with the knu stuff battery terminals, wire distribution blocks just because they were cheap and i really wish i hadnt

premier 860mp-seas lotus ref/1 active-tru s45+s500 Si MagV4
gsr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 152 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

ID recommend more power to that sub. About 800-1000 watts. Otherwise, just add up the fuses in the amp and there's your fuse size. Id estimate around 100 amps. Everything else looks fine.

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Boston SPZ60 - RF T500-1 - Oz Matrix Elite 10
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 NOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enoughNOFATTYS will become famous soon enough

I know the amp is way underpowered for the sub, I bought the amp first, and the sub was a really good deal. I am trying to get some money to get the DC1100.1, so when I have that I will upgrade. Everything I have done and looked for so far is already taking that amp and its power ratings into account.
Old 01-25-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 84 TXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enough

get a hold of Darvex he is a vendor on here for wire.. also goes by Bag-Boy (I think) on ebay... Trail is a great stand up guy. Knu-concepts... too many conflicting reports... prices are cheap... keep that word... cheap... in mind... everyone has different levels of acceptable performance... just FYI...

I see you have been sucked into the "web of SQ"... seeing techflex on your list... will you be competing? Techflex is a fashion thing... not saying it doesn't do its job... but unless you plan to be in the judging lanes or have a photo-log in the car all the time... no one will know its there except you... & its not cheap... just food for thought.

Your plan looks VERY well researched & laid out... kudos man... most don't take that time before posting... its refreshing!... good job!....

a few things that come to mind.. get a hold of ANT or the other spectrum guy & ask them what they recommend for dampening your car. What are your dampening concerns? do you HEAR tire/road noise? does the current system rattle panels or make weird noises stock? its easy to throw 5 gallons of this & 160 sqft of that @ a car & still have all kinds of problems... Isolate your dampening concerns before you start throwing cash around willy-nilly...

You're definitely on the right track with great product choices... I would re-evaluate the Audio Control OE interface option...great piece... but may be overkill for what you are doing.... if you are using all Zapco... look further.. it will be less work in the long run & a cleaner, more dynamic install.... seriously... call Zapco & let them know what you are wanting to do...since you are not using ANY of the OE speakers or products except the OE HU... unless the Blau does everything internally.. the AC is overkill... I don't know... I am just playing devil's advocate... be sure you NEED the AC piece first...

Good luck... great job so far... one of the best, most thought out plans i have seen in years... kudos...

Rob
TXwrxWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 Mike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enough

I love the G8s and would be interested in seeing some pics of this system installed and results.
Mike-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #8

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwrxWagon View Post
get a hold of Darvex he is a vendor on here for wire.. also goes by Bag-Boy (I think) on ebay... Trail is a great stand up guy. Knu-concepts... too many conflicting reports... prices are cheap... keep that word... cheap... in mind... everyone has different levels of acceptable performance... just FYI...

I see you have been sucked into the "web of SQ"... seeing techflex on your list... will you be competing? Techflex is a fashion thing... not saying it doesn't do its job... but unless you plan to be in the judging lanes or have a photo-log in the car all the time... no one will know its there except you... & its not cheap... just food for thought.

Your plan looks VERY well researched & laid out... kudos man... most don't take that time before posting... its refreshing!... good job!....

a few things that come to mind.. get a hold of ANT or the other spectrum guy & ask them what they recommend for dampening your car. What are your dampening concerns? do you HEAR tire/road noise? does the current system rattle panels or make weird noises stock? its easy to throw 5 gallons of this & 160 sqft of that @ a car & still have all kinds of problems... Isolate your dampening concerns before you start throwing cash around willy-nilly...

You're definitely on the right track with great product choices... I would re-evaluate the Audio Control OE interface option...great piece... but may be overkill for what you are doing.... if you are using all Zapco... look further.. it will be less work in the long run & a cleaner, more dynamic install.... seriously... call Zapco & let them know what you are wanting to do...since you are not using ANY of the OE speakers or products except the OE HU... unless the Blau does everything internally.. the AC is overkill... I don't know... I am just playing devil's advocate... be sure you NEED the AC piece first...

Good luck... great job so far... one of the best, most thought out plans i have seen in years... kudos...

Rob
Thanks Rob, I appreciate the kind words. This is the first plan Ive ever undertaken, and my GF can attest I have spent weeks reading and searching and reading some more on the pros' and con's of everything considered. to answer some of your questions:

Do I plan in competing? Straight answer, hopefully! I am not sure what the level of my install will look like, nor how long it will take before I get everything together, so I am just not sure. I really would like to do everything correctly the first time, so that if I do plan on competing in the future, I dont have to tear down the car to add stuff. I am a firm believer in doing things once.

What are my Damping concerns? As it stands, the G8 is pretty quiet right from the factory. My concern is, and would be of any American vehicle, the tininess of the metal, and any buzz coming from the plastics. The stock system does ok, it has 2 8"woofers and there is no real vibration to be heard, but I would like to make sure. The spectrum will be there to add some weight to the metal in the doors, the trunk lid, the rear parcel shelf, and the roof. The deamplifier will be applied to the doors and door cards to help the speakers, the entire truck to help the output of the woofer, the rear parcel shelf again to add weight, the trunk lid and hopefully the floor of the vehicle. I believe the combination of the two will not only keep the added weight in check, as this is a performance vehicle, but keep the costs effective, and deaden the vehicle appropriately. I will also be taking your advice and contacting Ant at Second Skin...because you can never have too much help.

Do you need the AudioControl DQL-8? I second guessed myself with this purchase as well, it was actually the first piece of equipment I bought, it was just about brand new and I got it for 260 bucks...looking at some of the other OEM integration pieces on the market (Cleansweepdsp, Bitone, PPI, DSP6), I felt like this gave me the best value for the money I was spending. The Zapco amps do give me incredible flexibility, but as I have read over and over on this forum, you can never have too much lol. The headunit has crap built in, so its just going to be there for CD player and volume control. Plus the DQL-8 has an input for my Ipod, so it works out well I think for the money.

Knukonceptz wiring? Everyone I have spoken to has pointed me in this direction. I looked at the JL wiring, and Monstercable as well. Not sure where else to look! I am one of those guys that is OCD and needs everything to match lol. I spent 2 hours last night coming up with the following list for the complete system. Check it out

Wiring

Distribution Block - KonFUSED 3 Way Distribution System 19.99
Ground Distribution System - KonFUSED Ground Distribution System 17.49
1/0 gauge wire for battery to distribution block - Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Red Power 3.40ft x 5 = 17.00
1/0 gauge wire for battery to ground - Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Black Ground Wire 3.40ft x 5 = 17.00
4gauge wire from distribution block to amplifiers - Kolossus Fleks Kable 4 Gauge Red Power Wire 1.40ft x 20ft = 28.00
4gauge wire from amplifiers to ground - Kolossus Fleks Kable 4 Gauge Black Ground 1.40ft x 20 = 28.00
12gauge wire for speakers to amplifier - Karma SS 12 Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet = 68.99
8 gauge wire for subwoofer to amplifier - Karma SS 8 Gauge Speaker Wire 1.65ft x 8 = 13.20
16gauge wire to connect high level HU outputs to DQL-8 - Karma SS 16 Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet = 35.99
Positive Battery 1/0gauge Terminal Ring - Set Screw Ring Terminals - 1/0 = 6.50
Negative Battery 1/0gauge Terminal Ring - Set Screw Ring Terminals - 1/0 = 6.50
Grommet for 1/0 Positive to Distibution Block - Snap Bushing/ Grommet 1/0 .25 x 1 = .25
Grommet for 4gauge Power wire to amplifiers from Distribution Block - Snap Bushing / Grommet 4AWG .25 x 16 = 4.00
Inline Fuse for Battery to Distribution Block - KonFUSED High Current In-Line Fuse Holder = 25.00

Total Price for above = 288.00 plus shipping

Sound Deadening

5 gallons of Second Skin Spectrum - 250.00
Spectrum Spray Gun - 25.00
160 Sq Ft of Second Skin Deamplifier - 360.00

Total Price for above = 757.00 shipped

Cleanup

Techflex =
Heatshrink - 3M Shrink Tubing Kit 90 Pcs. = 34.95
Cable ties from Parts Express - Cable Ties 8" Black w/Mounting Head 100 Pcs. 7.60 x 2 = 15.20

Total Price for above = 50.00

Higher Output Battery - KINETIK KHC1800 POWER CELL - 225.00 on ebay

Below is already purchased and in hand

Front Stage - Zapco Ck-16.2 Component Speakers 500.00
Subwoofer - Zapco CW-12 12" woofer 350.00
Tweeter Amp - Zapco DC350.2 305.00
Midbass Amp - Zapco DC350.2 305.00
Sub Amp - Zapco DC500.1 400.00
OEM Integration - AudioControl DQL-8 260.00
Amp Connection - Zapco Simbilink SLDIN.03 x 3 49.99ea = 150.00
Amp Connection - Zapco Simbilink SLDIN.Y x 1 35.00

Total Price for above = 2350.00

Total Car Audio Price = 3503.00 not including sub box and amp rack
Old 01-26-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 84 TXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enoughTXwrxWagon will become famous soon enough

Get a hold of Second Skin's guys on here & discuss the best plan, there is lots of conflicting thoughts on how to address what you want to address.

try Darvex for a comparison quote on the wire & blocks... never hurts to see where you are...

other wise: GET going! LOL... start a build log so we all can watch!

Good Luck

Rob
Old 01-27-2009   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Speed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enough

This is interesting to follow seeing as how I just started accumulating equipment for the build on my G8. I wish I had the money for the Zapco's such as yourself, but when all else fails E-Bay is your friend especially when people fail to clarify shipping to Alaska. I was also looking into the Knu Konceptz stuff, but that is one of those areas where you get what you pay for and I am really not sure about the quality of there product. I would be upset to have another fuse block go into nuclear melt down because it couldn't handle the current although the fuse could hmmm..... and the sound deadening issue does have me stumped just because I do not want to add weight, but I also do not want to pay a fortune. I have been looking at the R-Blox stuff on Ebay anybody know anything about this stuff?

Here's the breakdown on my equipment:

2 Kenwood Excelon x4r's got a good deal on the 3 amps 500 shipped to AK
1 Kenwood Excelon x1r
RF 360.2
ID CD1e's w/ mini horns w/ crossovers and CX-62's
4 Illusion Im6's
and hopefully if the guy would ever respond to my question at least one Illusion Nd-12 if not my old type-r 10's for now have had them for years
undecided on center channel probably use one the cx-62's

I hope you don't feel like I am trying to high jack your thread, just sharing my current list of junk for my G8, although I like yours alot a better and man do I miss my Zapco's
Speed Freak HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #11

DIYMA freshman

Thanks bro. Everyone I talk to has good things to say about the Knukonceptz stuff...but Darvex contacted me yesterday and he sells stinger and some other brands. Is stinger any good? I see it at the flea market alot lol.

I do have a DC500.1 for sale for a good price...its BNIB with the serial numbers. I need a DC1100.1 to run my sub correctly so it needs to go. How much does it typically cost to send something to AK?
Old 01-27-2009   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Speed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enoughSpeed Freak HSV will become famous soon enough

Shipping to Alaska is usually 2-4 times the cost of shipping in the lower 48 and sometimes more, unless it will fit in a USPS flat rate box then it's gtg. If it has to go freight ie. my Kooks exhaust, it's flat out retarded. As far as Stinger goes it is pretty good stuff, I have used it off and on for almost 15yrs without any problems. I would be interested in buying the DC, but I have to get rid of bunch of other equipment first. I was going to try and sell some of it on here, but the just changed the rules on the classifieds.
Old 01-27-2009   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 M.Hendrix will become famous soon enoughM.Hendrix will become famous soon enoughM.Hendrix will become famous soon enoughM.Hendrix will become famous soon enoughM.Hendrix will become famous soon enoughM.Hendrix will become famous soon enough

Great list of equipment you have there. Should be very enjoyable, good luck. Also have used a lot of Knukonceptz wire and cables and have had no problems.
M.Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I like the Stinger HPM stuff... in fact with the exception of my battery terminals & distribution block, the entire power/ground wiring set up in the WRX is Stinger. I only went away from stinger on those 3 pieces, because Stinger didn't make what I needed. My last 4 vehicles have been stinger & the last 2 were from Darvex/Bag-Boy.

RCA's are custom 1-off

Good luck with the build.

Rob
Old 01-27-2009   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 flomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enough

Hey Fatty if you start a thread I could probably add in a few pics of mine.

I'm going to run an active two way up front using the kickpanels to run ID Oem's and some large format tweeters (got some tx25 radials and tang band reverse titanium to try out from here). I'm using the x4r to run them and using an mtx re-q5 for oem integration and it adds another aux in as well. Sub is DIYMA R-12 from here as well with an x1r to power it which will be run as a slave off of the x4r. Using leftover wire from my civic build.

Total is probably over 600 for everything but should sound pretty good if I can mount everything right. Only thing I'm going to dampen is trunk and rear panel.

Only tricky part of the build (other than trying to learn how to glass lol) is wiring the HU. Are you guys going to just clip the wires to the center channel or try and add a switch.

When I pulled that side panel I only remember seeing one large connector which I assume was the speaker wires, but then we have to figure where the center channel one is as well.

And if we tap into all the speaker leads up front (using crimp connectors and completely cutting the wires from the harness to essentially disconnect the speakers in the car) hopefully that cut off the subs in the back since they run off of the rear door lines.
flomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #16

DIYMA freshman

flomofo just responded to your thread on the g8board, if you guys can hold off for about two weeks I will verify all wires that need to be tagged and I am going to find out where the dang sub amp gets it's input from. As far as the center channel goes if you adjust all your settings correctly it should be almost if not completely transparent in your front stage eliminating the need for a switch. By all means correct me if I am wrong I have been away from the industry for awhile now. Just going off what I can remember from the old AudioControl 44. Since I will be running HLCD's I will be using the center and most likely some attenuated tweeters at the pillars to help raise the sound stage. Still on the hunt for a good center stage speaker if anybody has one.
Old 01-27-2009   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 flomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enoughflomofo will become famous soon enough

I only have enough processing for an active 2 way so I have to put it on a switch or get rid of that center. I'll be learning how to fab over the next few weeks anyway so I can wait.
Old 01-28-2009   #18

DIYMA freshman

Speadfreak....post pics of everything if you can...Im a noob and it would help tremendously. thanks bro
Old 01-28-2009   #19

DIYMA freshman

I'll post as many pics as I can remember to take.......hey wait thats a good job for my teenager. ( No offense to anybody if your a teenager) If anybody needs any tips, hints, or tricks on fabrication let me know, I have done everything from composites to full acrylic enclosures and even different metal fabrication.

Please for all of your wiring connections use solder and shrink wrap or splicing tape. Butt connectors and in t-tap splices are not the best choice for permanent connections. If you guys want I can try to do a little video and post it on you tube or something like that or maybe I will employ my teenager again to take many pictures!

Just as a little side note most auto manufactures will give you warranty issues on wiring if the splicing is not soldered and shrink wrapped( splicing tape).
Old 01-28-2009   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 194 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes View Post
Otherwise, just add up the fuses in the amp and there's your fuse size.
Fail.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #21

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Fail.
Buzz...

What is well below that rating?
Old 02-07-2009   #22

DIYMA freshman

I should have the wifes truck finished up this weekend and then Monday or Tuesday night I will get started on the G8 and I will post the pics of the deck wiring.

I got the 3 Excellon amps in and fired all of them up on the bench and I do not think they are going to cut it. So they may be going up for sale. I guess thats what I get for going cheap.

I will probably be switching to the old PPI Power Class's. Had five of them in a truck that I used to have an I loved them.
Old 02-07-2009   #23

DIYMA freshman

All I dampened was a little a bit of the tub in the trunk so I can fiberglass a sub box and another amp rack in there like a sub box to hold both kenwood amps.

I was going to just cut the wires at the harness to cut the stock speakers and use butt connectors to wire in the processor with heat shrink around it to hold it together better and look better. Might still solder it though...
Old 02-07-2009   #24

DIYMA freshman

Solder!Solder!Solder! No butt connectors unless you absolutely have too.

Butt connectors will allow the copper to corrode, weakening the connection. Solder on the other hand when done correctly provides a much more corrosion resistant connection and a more positive connection.
Old 02-07-2009   #25

DIYMA freshman

we'll see . post up some pics and maybe you'll persuade me. Gonna start taping the tub to start some fiberglassing, so thats my main concern right now.