View Poll Results: ssa VS Fi (sound qualitty and or wow factor)
SSA 21 44.68%
Fi audio 26 55.32%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010   #26
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 79 ibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enough

Default Re: SSA DCON 12" VS Fi Q 12" whats your expericance?

I hate comparison threads and even regret making one sometimes but....I would enjoy seeing a soundoff between these two.

Hertz, Bit1, Tru Technology, Alpine, Arc, Denon, Kenwood, Focal.
ibanzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #27
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Supporting Vendor - SSA

12V Company:
Sound Solutions Audio Inc.
Position:
VP

Rep Power: 114 Aaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really niceAaron Clinton is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Yeah I meant price drop

Kelvin
I know, just messing with ya.
Aaron Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #28

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 DynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enough

How do these subs compare to the IDQ? I know this isn't on topic but it's the only SQ subwoofer I've ever used and wanted to get a reference point. Or is the IDQ so below the subs your comparing it's not even in the same league.
DynaudioNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #29

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 65 jooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished road

It's an especially tough decision because both subs have aesthetically pleasing logos on the cones.
jooonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #30

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 Maglite will become famous soon enoughMaglite will become famous soon enoughMaglite will become famous soon enoughMaglite will become famous soon enoughMaglite will become famous soon enoughMaglite will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaudioNut View Post
How do these subs compare to the IDQ? I know this isn't on topic but it's the only SQ subwoofer I've ever used and wanted to get a reference point. Or is the IDQ so below the subs your comparing it's not even in the same league.
The IDQ is an amazing sounding sub. Not sure it will hit as had as the SSA or Fi but musically is equal to (or maybe slightly better) than SSA or Fi.

I have friends with both the ICON and FiQ and this seems to be the recurring debate after a beer or 3.

If you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. -- Homer Simpson
Maglite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #31

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 DynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enough

I really wished more experienced members joined in and help answer this question. I'm seriously considering a new sub at this point and these two are at the top of my list. I'm also considering the Shiv.
DynaudioNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #32
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 241 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I really wished more experienced members joined in and help answer this question. I'm seriously considering a new sub at this point and these two are at the top of my list. I'm also considering the Shiv.
What do you need from your sub? Thump in the chest? Small box only? Best integration with front stage? - Please do not say: ALL OF THE ABOVE...

What's the rest of your system?
What do you listen to?

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 mSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mSaLL150

Quote:
If by Shiv you mean the Shiva-X2, I'd take it over the others anyday.

2013 Focus ST - In Progress! - MyFordTouch - Audison - Phoenix Gold - Scanspeak - Dayton - Stereo Integrity
mSaLL150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Rep Power: 80 adrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

so... How'd it turn out?

Humph umph tsk tsk hump umph tsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
It's not Tchaikovsky. But it's still music that people like and that people want to listen to. Therefore, the goal is to meet that demand. When you let your audio system dictate the music you listen to, you've lost.
adrenalinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #35
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 79 ibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enoughibanzil will become famous soon enough

Ended up getting a Fi q 12 high qts option and extra spider. I built a 1.5 cuft box for it. It's a low playing beast. Definately impressive on the low end. I have it in my work car and I don't regret buying it.

Old 04-22-2011   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Rep Power: 80 adrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

very nice, how mch power you throwing at it? no cooling option?

Quote:
It's not Tchaikovsky. But it's still music that people like and that people want to listen to. Therefore, the goal is to meet that demand. When you let your audio system dictate the music you listen to, you've lost.
Old 04-25-2011   #37
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

no cooling option. I had it in my civic with a tru tech b2200 for a couple weeks. Moved it into my work car so now power comes from a alpine pdx 1.1000. Not a efficient sub by any means but I havent had much trouble getting it more than loud enough.

Old 05-13-2011   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

I'm also looking into an sq setup, but thinking of going with a 15in fi q sealed at 2.6cft just to get a bit more output, but will i be sacrificing sq at that point oppose on going with a 12in?

Quote:
Old 05-13-2011   #39
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

if i wasnt driving such a little car, i would have got the 15. you will not have any loss in sound quality. im sure you will smile ear to ear if u get that plentiful low end authority to blend with your fronts. i say, if you have room and weight is no concern, do it up.

Old 05-14-2011   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

oh ok, We'll see what happens.

Quote:
Old 10-21-2011   #41
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 54 edouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanzil View Post
no cooling option. I had it in my civic with a tru tech b2200 for a couple weeks. Moved it into my work car so now power comes from a alpine pdx 1.1000. Not a efficient sub by any means but I havent had much trouble getting it more than loud enough.
I would think that the extra spider option killed the efficiency.

I too am in the market for 12" subs. I drive a four door sedan and trunk space is a must. I am contemplating of using two 12" subs sealed firing through the rear deck sealed from the trunk. My top choices are the Fi Q and SSA ICON.

Here is my great debate. Fi manufacturers and from what understand designs all SSA subs. Why would I buy an SSA sub designed by Fi when Fi offers the same product in that class? I wouldn't think Fi would make their own SQ sub then design another OEM'd sub and make it better.

Aaron Clinton, why would I buy your ICON instead of the Q?
edouble101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edouble101 View Post
I would think that the extra spider option killed the efficiency.

I too am in the market for 12" subs. I drive a four door sedan and trunk space is a must. I am contemplating of using two 12" subs sealed firing through the rear deck sealed from the trunk. My top choices are the Fi Q and SSA ICON.

Here is my great debate. Fi manufacturers and from what understand designs all SSA subs. Why would I buy an SSA sub designed by Fi when Fi offers the same product in that class? I wouldn't think Fi would make their own SQ sub then design another OEM'd sub and make it better.

Aaron Clinton, why would I buy your ICON instead of the Q?

I wouldn't get the additional spyder option and if you're going sealed don't forget to get the high qts option on the fi q.

Quote:
Old 10-21-2011   #43
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 54 edouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
I wouldn't get the additional spyder option and if you're going sealed don't forget to get the high qts option on the fi q.
You would only choose the spider option to increase mechanical power handling. Which doesn't have anything to do with enclosure choice. I do believe the spider option would lower efficiency regardless of enclosure compared to a Q with a standard spider pack.

You are correct, high QTS option for sealed.
edouble101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edouble101 View Post
You would only choose the spider option to increase mechanical power handling. Which doesn't have anything to do with enclosure choice. I do believe the spider option would lower efficiency regardless of enclosure compared to a Q with a standard spider pack.

You are correct, high QTS option for sealed.

oh, yea i know... I didn't mean to say not to get the spyder option if you're going sealed.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2012   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 shado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglite View Post
The IDQ is an amazing sounding sub. Not sure it will hit as had as the SSA or Fi but musically is equal to (or maybe slightly better) than SSA or Fi.

I have friends with both the ICON and FiQ and this seems to be the recurring debate after a beer or 3.
Sorry to bring this thread back up.
But I would also like to know how these two subs compare with the Dayton HO and the IDQ (please specify if v2 or v3).

I am basically trying to make a decision between all these subs.
My goals are SQ and I would like to hit the LOWS since I listen to hip-hop but also keep accuracy for the other genres.

I plan to start sealed and see how that works then eventually play with different ported frequencies down the road.
shado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #46
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 241 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shado View Post
But I would also like to know how these two subs compare with the Dayton HO and the IDQ (please specify if v2 or v3).

My goals are SQ and I would like to hit the LOWS since I listen to hip-hop but also keep accuracy for the other genres.

I plan to start sealed and see how that works then eventually play with different ported frequencies down the road.
Popular hip-hop songs don't have much below 30Hz, so any of the 2 will do - tune it around 30Hz-33Hz and enjoy!

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012   #47

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 69 jbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Based on all the reviews I've scoured over, seems like the HO doesn't really wake up until you port it, but it's got excellent sound quality. The IDQ also sounds great, but probably won't give you the serious lows you're looking for. The Q gets great feedback but I've seen many former owners who are now running something else. The ICON seems like it's consistently the one out of these four that people are the most blown away by, and seems like the best overall. Check out the SSA forum and you'll see some ecstatic reviews.

From what I understand, the SSA drivers are built by Fi, so the build quality should be equal between the two brands. Best part about any of these subs, if you don't like em, someone will take them off your hands in the classifieds.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #48

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 shado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enoughshado will become famous soon enough

Thanks this is what I hoped to find out.
The Dayton HO ported is a lot easier on my wallet.
The ICON is almost $300 (the DCON is more similarly priced).

Last edited by shado; 08-12-2012 at 04:45 PM..
shado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #49

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 69 jbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enoughjbowers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks this is what I hoped to find out.
The Dayton HO ported is a lot easier on my wallet.
The ICON is almost $300 (the DCON is more similarly priced).
I'd do the HO ported over the IDQ, I believe it was Chad who had a great write-up of the HO on here a while back. Ported it's been compared to the IDMAX. If you have the room you could even do the HF, but it's going to need a much bigger box. In the proper enclosure that thing looks like it will drop down to the sub basement.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote