LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 Robb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura about

Question BNIB Alpine 7909 30th anniversary model .. Good deal ?

I miss my old 7909 and want to get another one ! Even though financially I shouldnt...check out this badboy that I'm in the process of buying. Just got pics...
1997 Alpine 7909 30th anniversary model brand new in box.
He wants $1175 U.S. Shipped.
you think it's worth it ? Or should I go with a clarion DRZ9255 ?

Last edited by Robb; 09-04-2009 at 11:59 PM..
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 300 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: BNIB Alpine 7909 30th anniversary model .. Good deal ?

to be honest, only you can really answer that question...especially regarding value and your own money
azngotskills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 Robb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura aboutRobb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
to be honest, only you can really answer that question...especially regarding value and your own money
I need to speak with someone that has heard both the drz9255 and the 7909.
I used to have a 7909 and it was amazing !
Haven heard a drz yet though. Hard to find.

My alpine when I had it..

YouTube - Alpine 7909 cd car player

YouTube - Alpine 7909 cd video 3
Old 09-05-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 300 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have had the DRZ and the CDA-7998 (not F1 and I know but just saying). I never liked the 'sound' that Alpine has but the 7909 might be a different all together. I know it doesnt help much but feel that the Denon DCT-A100, DCT-R1 and Rockford RFX-8250/8240 sounds better than all the other headunits that I have own from a dedicated transport headunit. The DRZ is a complete all-in-one solution though as is the route I would take if thats what you need.
azngotskills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 mikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enough

That is a ton of money to spend on a HU that is probably better left a collector's item, because it is BNIB. In other words, isn't the going rate on a used 7909 more in the $500-$600 range? Sounds to me like it is priced as high as it is because it is new, and as soon as you use it, it will lose a good portion of its value. If you want a 7909, I would look for a used one personally, but it's your money.

W200/H701---ID Fullsize/B&C DE500--2118H--2206H--W15GTi
mikey7182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

I understand, the 7909 is priced the way it is because all the 35-45 year olds now pay the top dollar for them because they always wanted 1 when they were younger ie: 20 years ago.
I think the market prices for the 7909's now have peaked, and in the future wont gain any value because the youngsters these days wont want them...
Just like the muscle cars.. My generation wont pay for them in the future, because we grew up with Imports...
Im leaning towards a drz9255 because they are initially cheaper to buy, better specs on paper, and alot more features as well !
I do howver love the vintage look of the Alpine !
Maybe I'll old out for a good used one, and in the meantime buy a DRZ9255.

decisions decisions decisions
Old 09-05-2009   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 mikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I understand, the 7909 is priced the way it is because all the 35-45 year olds now pay the top dollar for them because they always wanted 1 when they were younger ie: 20 years ago.
I think the market prices for the 7909's now have peaked, and in the future wont gain any value because the youngsters these days wont want them...
Just like the muscle cars.. My generation wont pay for them in the future, because we grew up with Imports...
Im leaning towards a drz9255 because they are initially cheaper to buy, better specs on paper, and alot more features as well !
I do howver love the vintage look of the Alpine !
Maybe I'll old out for a good used one, and in the meantime buy a DRZ9255.

decisions decisions decisions
You could get a used 9255 AND a used 7909 for what he wants for this 7909

W200/H701---ID Fullsize/B&C DE500--2118H--2206H--W15GTi
mikey7182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 134 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

While the 7909 is the deck that we all wanted....If you are hesitant on the price then maybe you don't want the deck as much as you think?

While that unit has an awesome transport...I see no reason why the DRZ's transport or some other older decks with great transports could not get the job done. Fine a used one in great shape then pick up a processor with the saved cash.

Only you can decide this one....
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 bbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enoughbbfoto will become famous soon enough

You need to consider the age of the unit as well, even though it's NIB. This goes for any electronic device...amps, HU's, etc. Certain components degrade over time, even just sitting on the shelf. Electrolytic capacitors are usually the first to degrade. Most other components are usually pretty stable, such as resistors, transitors, diodes, rectifiers, coils/transformers, etc. There are usually several rubber parts in the transport that will degrade as well. Some of these parts will harden, become brittle, or even crumble into dust from simply being exposed to air/ozone over that length of time.

I purchased a NOS/NIB Sony CDX-C910 HU (about the same era as the 7909) that had this problem. A repair shop that has done a lot of work for me in the past and at reasonable prices said it would cost around $400 to repair! Luckily I just paid $125 for it and really just wanted the Faceplate and a new Rotary Remote so I wasn't too disappointed. It was sad though that this bright, shiny, "new" HU wouldn't work. Later on, l also ended up using the external DC-DC converter from it to replace one that had failed on my installed HU so it all worked out quite well in the end.

Just some food for thought as this is a fairly "old" HU. You might want to have the seller check the Date of Manufacture sticker on the chassis to see when it was produced.

For my money I would probably go with the DRZ as well, but I know all too well the temptation to want to go with a classic HU such as this one!
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post

For my money I would probably go with the DRZ as well, but I know all too well the temptation to want to go with a classic HU such as this one!
Well... I bought a DRZ

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...y-drz9255.html
Old 09-08-2009   #11

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Audio Electronics
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 71 audio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enough

The alpine 7909 he is selling is more of a unicorn. Probably never see another one BNIB. so it is up to you. I would probably buy used.
audio+civic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 94 miniSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enoughminiSQ will become famous soon enough

Its the old "if you have to ask..."

I think you made a very wise decision on the clarion....i am from "that era"...and the clarion is a better unit.
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
Its the old "if you have to ask..."

I think you made a very wise decision on the clarion....i am from "that era"...and the clarion is a better unit.
Yes, no doubt it is better, specs and features wise ...
Old 09-11-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

The unit I was gonna get is now on ebay...

Alpine 7909 Anniversary Car Stereo New NIB Car Stereo - eBay (item 120468610433 end time Sep-18-09 11:24:06 PDT)
Old 09-11-2009   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

CD or other input [ Radio no workie in United States ]>>>

But I do want to discuss a couple of issues. 1. I get asked a lot about the Alpine 7909J and what is it. Alpine produced all of the 7909’s in Japan. The 7909 with the “J” designation was meant for the Japanese homeland and has a different tuner for there market, they don’t use the same wavelength for AM and FM that we do. The 7909 I am selling was made in Japan (they all are) but it was intended to be used in the United States and has the correct tuner for our country. So that is why the 7909J Anniversary edition head unit sells for so much less – the radio portion is useless in the US
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote