Ultimate SQ Sub - PLEASE VOTE :) - Page 12 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these would you vote for?
Dynaudio Esotar2 1200 114 10.39%
Image Dynamics iDQv2 243 22.15%
Rainbow Vanadium 38 3.46%
Morel Ultimo 234 21.33%
Focal Utopia 27wx 111 10.12%
Other 391 35.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1097. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011   #276

DIYMA freshman

Default Re: Ultimate SQ Sub - PLEASE VOTE :)

Read through every post and I have come to a decision, I am selling my 12w7 and buying a Ultimo SC. Tomorrow.

<CDA-9887*, Morel MT-23/Supremo 6, Soundstream Ref 414s, PG ZPA 0.5, Ultimo SC12> *P99rs coming soon
oldskewl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011   #277

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 prettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enoughprettysweetsounds will become famous soon enough

IDMAX...my farorite!

I'll be getting my hands on some JBL MKII shortly so I'll see if that changes : )
prettysweetsounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011   #278
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 ebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enough

I would have to go either Arc Audio or TREO and before anyone starts biting at me why I mentioned TREO on this list is that I know from experience.

I played with several but in all honesty the current Diamond Audio line up is not my flavor for SQ subs at all but then again this is from my experience. I also like the Boston Acoustics old school subwoofers and I also like their G5 and G3 subwoofers to for SQ.

I never played with ID but I did play with JL 12W6 and I did not like it no matter how many times I went through the tuning and I finally gave up on that one. As for the W7 series I heard it some guy's car that works with me but then he had the gain all the way up and was giving it the power that voids the JL warranty. I am surprised he never smoked it yet but I only hear it for a few minutes.
ebrahim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011   #279
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 ebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enough

Oh please let me know how you like the JBL MKII as I am curious about it to since everyone in Florida tells me it is a waste of metal.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettysweetsounds View Post
IDMAX...my farorite!

I'll be getting my hands on some JBL MKII shortly so I'll see if that changes : )
Old 09-18-2011   #280
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Dude their subwoofers are $1600 a piece brand new of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodepot101 View Post
Seeing that you are running all dynaudio, stick with it. Not much room to work with.
Old 09-19-2011   #281
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 MDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura aboutMDubYa has a spectacular aura about

Just switched out my JL 10w3v3 for an IDv3... Image dynamics all the way... For me the id sounded better than the idq... The idq needs a smaller box, but the id in the right size box sounds AMAZING! night and day difference.

The ultimo is an amazing sub too!

Gladen XL's, Helix c63c's, Helix DSP... Waiting to be installed
MDubYa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011   #282

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewl View Post
Read through every post and I have come to a decision, I am selling my 12w7 and buying a Ultimo SC. Tomorrow.
And I am sooooo glad I did!

<CDA-9887*, Morel MT-23/Supremo 6, Soundstream Ref 414s, PG ZPA 0.5, Ultimo SC12> *P99rs coming soon
oldskewl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011   #283
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 162 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

JBL W15GTI. Ftw

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2011   #284

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 dualmono21 will become famous soon enoughdualmono21 will become famous soon enoughdualmono21 will become famous soon enoughdualmono21 will become famous soon enoughdualmono21 will become famous soon enoughdualmono21 will become famous soon enough

when you absoloubtedly positively must have the best sq woofer ever made

velodyne df10 :df12 servo controlled woofers
ive been using these things for a long long time and there still isnt another woofer capable of doing what these subs can do
im currently in the process of putting a df10 up front in an audi s4 with a df 12 in the wheel well just for good measure
dualmono21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2011   #285
Upgrade Your Membership!

Dream Big!

Rep Power: 1002 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

For all those who voted for the IDQv2 over the Ultimo, I want some of what you are smoking!

2013 Driver's Edition German Fit with Kenwood DNX891HD Source, Audison BitOne Processor, MMATS HIFI-6150D amplifier, Genesis Profile 16 Components (active, of course), and a 10" Alpine Type R Subwoofer in a custom sealed fiberglass enclosure.

"Beware of the forum boner for it will screw you every time!"
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011   #286

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 120 matthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enough

I got some time to listen to my new ultimo 10 ported tuned to 33hz. It outputs some of the best bass notes i have heard. Its like a big midbass that has punch. Its not going to vibrate your whole car. But it will get loud, but does its best at moderate levels. Its punchy and accurate in higher bass notes even in a ported box, and will still hit the lows. Most suprising is its not overbearing and needs little tweaking even changing songs or even types of music. With this sub bass takes on way more dynamics and tones.

I will say though it needs power and even with 1000+ watts going to it your not going to flex your trunk much, but you will be getting clean bass
matthewo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011   #287
Upgrade Your Membership!

Dream Big!

Rep Power: 1002 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

The Ultimo 10 was one of the most forgiving subwoofers I have ever encountered in an install. I heard one in a 350z in one of those pre-fab enclosures that fit under the strut tower brace, and needless to say my jaw dropped.

Now from a price point, I can understand why some chose the IDQv2 over it, but from a true sound quality perspective, I stand by my original comment!

2013 Driver's Edition German Fit with Kenwood DNX891HD Source, Audison BitOne Processor, MMATS HIFI-6150D amplifier, Genesis Profile 16 Components (active, of course), and a 10" Alpine Type R Subwoofer in a custom sealed fiberglass enclosure.

"Beware of the forum boner for it will screw you every time!"
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011   #288

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 alligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enough

So...is it general consensus that IDQv2>IDQv3>IDv3?
alligatorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011   #289

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 89 Jonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of lightJonny Hotnuts is a glorious beacon of light

The problem with this poll is how many people can say they have heard all of these subs. Its BS to vote for sub 'A' as the "best SQ sub", without hearing sub 'B, C & D' or even to be able to hear the comparisons between subs demoed back to back in the SUBS ideal conditions with correct and correct power (with amps that are equally capable in SQ).

Sort of like driving a 50cc Vespa and 'knowing' that the BMW1000rr is the fastest bike out there.....maybe it is but how the f- do you know????

On that note my vote is for the Morel Ultimo, I own 2 but never heard them....but I just know they are going to be the best SQ sub EVER once I get them installed!

~JH
Jonny Hotnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011   #290

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 120 matthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enough

You will be happy. I plan to keep my 10 for my next cat if i can fit it in a simple install
matthewo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011   #291

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 alligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enoughalligatorman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewo View Post
You will be happy. I plan to keep my 10 for my next cat if i can fit it in a simple install
Must be an outdoor cat. I bet the SPL would kill all mice in the vicinity. Brings new meaning to the music of deadmau5.
alligatorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011   #292

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
xmplar distibution
Position:
Director

Rep Power: 103 xMplar will become famous soon enoughxMplar will become famous soon enoughxMplar will become famous soon enoughxMplar will become famous soon enoughxMplar will become famous soon enoughxMplar will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to xMplar

a little bit of a loaded question this one i think there a lots of great SQ subs and

depnding on budget and your own ears will depned on whish is the best and also the

source unit and the amp that is driving it aswell as the box for me i belive there are

proably 3 for me 2 of them are euro brands one from italy one from germany and the

other is a custom brand that is built to specs that i like for that car im putting it into

so thats my opinion the only brand i can name is Peirce audio custom built SQ subs

Ren
xMplar

If its not rattlling or cracking its not SPL
xMplar 3:16
xMplar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011   #293
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 119 Bluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roduk View Post
I have used various subs. SS10r's I really like, especially the SS10R limiteds. The Image Dynamics IDW15 is awesome (would love to hear an 18!!) I recently replaced my upfront CDT sub with one of these, in again an upfront enclosure -

Those who know their subs will know what it is, and it really is exceptional. My front end is good, but this has just lifted the whole quality of the system - I now may need to get some R1's to replace the EMITS at the top end!!
That looks like an Acoustic Elegance AV model...is that a 12'orma 10? Looks good! Love that cone too!

In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time.

- Charles Mingus
Bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011   #294

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 110 roduk will become famous soon enoughroduk will become famous soon enoughroduk will become famous soon enoughroduk will become famous soon enoughroduk will become famous soon enoughroduk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
That looks like an Acoustic Elegance AV model...is that a 12'orma 10? Looks good! Love that cone too!
No It's a 10" Velodyne DF-10sc I have heard Morels, All the IDs and various old school goodies, but for proper SQ Bass this is 'so far' the best I have heard... It's lightning fast and I'm noticing extra notes within baselines of tracks I have known for years it's really that quick - all other subs have played one note "Waarrrppp" This plays in some instances two - "Waarrp Warrpp" I have never noticed that the baseline is in fact two separate beats before so it must be good!

Mcintosh MX5000, 3 x SS Class A's, Veritas and a Velodyne. Old school.
roduk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012   #295
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 81 gu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enough

I switch few subs around within year but Alto mobile falstaff wipes floor with all of them.
Also idq for the money is hard to beat
gu9cci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012   #296
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 133 its_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the rough

Best sounding sub I have ever heard, by a significant margin, was a Powerbass Extreme 12 dual 2 ohm (black basket not the chrome garbage), in a smallish ported box tuned to mid 30s in a very well damped trunk. Foreman was the guy who owned that car

ραηςετα
its_bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012   #297

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 Hdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enough

What's the best SQ for 200-300? I was looking at JL and some used Focals and what not, but everyone talks about the JBL GTI stuff soo much.
Hdale85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012   #298
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

First of all as far as JBL goes most of the users in here like them for either being a low price tag or just because one person likes them and everyone else jumped on them. Who knows unless you ask them.

As far as your question goes it all depends are you talking retail prices of eBay prices because that means a lot to the answer but anyway will give you several answers to your question.

Arc Audio and Image Dynamics are both good but in all honesty you would be happy with either one although I would do either one sealed. CDT Audio got the ES Gold if you can find one for $300. JL Audio is just a name since they spend more of their revenue on advertising rather than Research and Development.

Do not get me wrong but in all honesty if I went JL Audio I would go with the W3 and up but I prefer the W6 though.

TREO Engineering got their TE series which is their SQ sub but I am not sure what eBay prices are on them since their retail is over $300. Also you might want to look into Boston Acoustics G3 and their discontinued G5 lineup.

As far as Focal is considered I never heard them in a vehicle though and I will not judge a subwoofer on some youtube video a guy/girl posted on their since it does not give any subwoofer any justice on that site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdale85 View Post
What's the best SQ for 200-300? I was looking at JL and some used Focals and what not, but everyone talks about the JBL GTI stuff soo much.
Old 01-31-2012   #299

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 Hdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enoughHdale85 will become famous soon enough

Yeah I wouldn't go by a video period. There aren't a lot of audio shops around here that carry any of the better stuff, just the main stream stuff like RF and so on because most people are just looking for loud.

The other one is TC Sounds, I think there are a couple things I could get from them. I'll have to check out those subs you mentioned though.
Hdale85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012   #300

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 115 putergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enoughputergod will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to putergod Send a message via Yahoo to putergod

Fi Q. I've never heard a subwoofer sound so clean until I heard the Q's. The only subwoofer I will buy from now on.

Oh, and it can get insanely loud as well...
putergod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement