Ultimate SQ Sub - PLEASE VOTE :) - Page 15 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these would you vote for?
Dynaudio Esotar2 1200 114 10.39%
Image Dynamics iDQv2 243 22.15%
Rainbow Vanadium 38 3.46%
Morel Ultimo 234 21.33%
Focal Utopia 27wx 111 10.12%
Other 391 35.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1097. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013   #351

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Systems Unlimited
Position:
Owner, Janitor

Rep Power: 0 Seattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enoughSeattle Esotar will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Ultimate SQ Sub - PLEASE VOTE :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Yes, I have heard an Ultimo and Ultimo SC, both in a proper sized sealed enclosure. One was in an accord (so similar vehicle) and one was in a hatchback. I would choose the Esotar2 all day any day over the Ultimo. I like the Ultimo (and the ARC Black for that matter), but the Esotar2 is just on a different level.....very refined and accurate.
Plus one for the Dynaudio Esotar 1200. We've carried numerous high end subwoofers in our 22 years in business. The Esotar sets the standard by which all others should be judged. That being said, not every customer would choose it. Bassheads, looking for the W7 type of sound, would choose another sub. I totally get that as I was a 19 year old with a wall of 15's once.

No advertising in your signature without upgrading your account
Seattle Esotar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013   #352

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 DynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enough

Does anyone who own the Esotar sub woofer know how it would sound while listening to rap? I know it's a SQ sub but does it really get down and really move some air if you want it to...
DynaudioNut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #353
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 80 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Jerry, will you on me a quote on an Esaotar2 1200 since you're a dealer please? Thanks!
Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013   #354
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 146 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaudioNut View Post
Does anyone who own the Esotar sub woofer know how it would sound while listening to rap? I know it's a SQ sub but does it really get down and really move some air if you want it to...
I listen to rap sometimes. I just demoed my subs (for the purpose of showing off IB) to a local customer who brought some rap that hit really low. They just flat out rocked and impressed the hell out of them. Hit really low and hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #355

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 94 DynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enough

Do you prefer IB over sealed or ported with this woofer?

Clarion DRZ 9255, Clarion VCZ 625 CD shuttle, McIntosh MC443M, McIntosh MC440M, JBL MS-8, Dynaudio GT 160 w/ MD100 tweeters and Arc Audio 12D4 v2
Old 04-15-2013   #356
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 146 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

I would depend on the car and the goals. For my car, yes, I prefer IB over sealed or ported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #357

DIYMA freshman

I've tried sealed and didn't like the out put level. Then I tried ported, I like the added volume but can't stand how boomy my system has become so I decided to try a higher end sub like the Dynaudio but was afraid it would sound to shallow-for lack of a better word-for rap.

Clarion DRZ 9255, Clarion VCZ 625 CD shuttle, McIntosh MC443M, McIntosh MC440M, JBL MS-8, Dynaudio GT 160 w/ MD100 tweeters and Arc Audio 12D4 v2
Old 04-15-2013   #358
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 80 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

How about an aperiodic enclosure for it? Would that work?
Old 04-19-2013   #359

DIYMA freshman

Never heard of that type of enclosure... I need to research it some more, thanks a million. I've only used sealed and presently I'm using a ported box that's taking up my entire trunk...lol

Old 04-19-2013   #360
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 119 Bluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enoughBluenote will become famous soon enough

^ Buzzman on this forum did a review of the Esotar 1200 in an AP enclosure. It was a comparison with the Ultimo. Check the member product review section.

In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time.

- Charles Mingus
Bluenote is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013   #361
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 179 michaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
^ Buzzman on this forum did a review of the Esotar 1200 in an AP enclosure. It was a comparison with the Ultimo. Check the member product review section.
I don't think Buzzman finished his review, I was also told he pulled the Esotar Sub and went with something else.
michaelsil1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013   #362
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
That's the one I was referencing. He seemed pleased with the results.
Old 04-19-2013   #363
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 280 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsil1 View Post
I don't think Buzzman finished his review, I was also told he pulled the Esotar Sub and went with something else.
He's using an Audio Technology subwoofer

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013   #364
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 65 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Esotar View Post
Plus one for the Dynaudio Esotar 1200. We've carried numerous high end subwoofers in our 22 years in business. The Esotar sets the standard by which all others should be judged. That being said, not every customer would choose it. Bassheads, looking for the W7 type of sound, would choose another sub. I totally get that as I was a 19 year old with a wall of 15's once.
How does the Esotar set the standard? The w7 trumps it in clean, undistorted bass.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013   #365
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ignition Mobile Hi-Fi
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 159 Buzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Ear View Post
How about an aperiodic enclosure for it? Would that work?
The Esotar works fabulously in an AP enclosure. It’s T/S parameters are ideal for that application, and if it were me I would use it in that way instead of IB. By the way, it you decide to go the AP route, I still have the AP enclosure I had built for the Esotar. PM me if you might be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsil1 View Post
Michael, I did finish my review. I loved the Esotar, and considered it the best sub I had ever used. But, I have since transitioned to a custom Audio Technology sub that I am using IB, and haven’t regretted that decision. Were it not for the Audio Technology sub, I would still be using the Esotar in an AP enclosure.

Spkrs.: Phass (DTM25 - Tweeter, MD 0580 -Midrange, MD 0875- Midbass). Amps: Phass (RE 4.25 and RE 50). Subwoofer: Custom AudioTechnology Flex Unit 12" powered by TRU B2200S (Op Amp + Cap Upgrades). Head Unit: Eclipse 55090. Processor: Audison Bit One.1 Modified; Cables: Phass SC1 Spkr. cable and Si1 Interconnect.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #366

DIYMA freshman

I've been seriously considering upgrading my sub for approximatley a year or more now but the mixed reviews keep me from pulling the trigger. Buzzman if it's the best you've heard why wouldn't you regret not going back to using it? Regardless if you purchased a custom one or not... I was just wondering..

Old 04-22-2013   #367
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ignition Mobile Hi-Fi
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 159 Buzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaudioNut View Post
I've been seriously considering upgrading my sub for approximatley a year or more now but the mixed reviews keep me from pulling the trigger. Buzzman if it's the best you've heard why wouldn't you regret not going back to using it? Regardless if you purchased a custom one or not... I was just wondering..
You misconstrued my post. I wrote that the Esotar2 1200 was the best I had used at the time of my review. That changed with the Audio Technology sub I am now using. And, I don't know what "mixed" reviews you have read about the Esotar because I haven't seen anything but universal acclaim for it.

Spkrs.: Phass (DTM25 - Tweeter, MD 0580 -Midrange, MD 0875- Midbass). Amps: Phass (RE 4.25 and RE 50). Subwoofer: Custom AudioTechnology Flex Unit 12" powered by TRU B2200S (Op Amp + Cap Upgrades). Head Unit: Eclipse 55090. Processor: Audison Bit One.1 Modified; Cables: Phass SC1 Spkr. cable and Si1 Interconnect.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013   #368

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 claytonzmvox will become famous soon enoughclaytonzmvox will become famous soon enoughclaytonzmvox will become famous soon enoughclaytonzmvox will become famous soon enoughclaytonzmvox will become famous soon enoughclaytonzmvox will become famous soon enough

My Velodyne DF12SC does its job perfectly. The best sub I own.

Galaxy S4 + MOSCONI 6TO8- SCAN R3004/602000-SCAN 12MU4731T00-SCAN 18W8531G00-GÊNESIS 4CHANNEL- SCAN 30W -DLS A7
claytonzmvox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #369

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Volvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enough

What are people's thought on the TC epic? Don't see a lot of people running them but are supposed to be a SQ oriented driver. How would a pair of the 12s do IB?

Dan
Volvoracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013   #370
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 280 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoracer23 View Post
What are people's thought on the TC epic? Don't see a lot of people running them but are supposed to be a SQ oriented driver. How would a pair of the 12s do IB?

Dan
There are better subs suited for IB use... Acoustic Elegance IB12AU is one.

I'd rather use the TC Epic 12" ported than IB (based on specs)

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Old 05-14-2013   #371
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

How about an IDQ12v3 ib?
Old 05-14-2013   #372

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 Volvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enoughVolvoracer23 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
There are better subs suited for IB use... Acoustic Elegance IB12AU is one.

I'd rather use the TC Epic 12" ported than IB (based on specs)

Kelvin
I know you have experience with the epic 8. Where do you think the epics fall in the sq line of drivers, what are they comparable to? I'm just curious what I'm missing.

Do you think the sound better ported or sealed? I have a pair of 12s in their own heavily braced sealed cabinets and have about 250-300 watts each and it's plenty of output for me.

Dan
Old 05-14-2013   #373
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

TC Sounds drivers are highly regarded in the DIY home audio market - they build solid products and have done so for many years
Long ago, they even build subs as an OEM manufacturer for different car audio brands.

The Epic line is their entry line but in no way is an entry level driver - use your 12" with confidence Unless you want to use bigger subs or want to save some space, I don't see a reason to change your subs.
They are equally welcome in an SQ setup than a daily ground pounder one...

I used my 2 x Epic 8" (Audiopulse version) sealed because I did not want to lose too much space in my trunk and they did the job better than past 12" I had. But their specs really suggest the use of a ported enclosure.
I don't use them anymore but still own them - next project for the pair is a 2cuft enclosure tuned to 25Hz and a ton of PEQ to make it more efficient

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
Old 05-14-2013   #374

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
TC Sounds drivers are highly regarded in the DIY home audio market - they build solid products and have done so for many years
Long ago, they even build subs as an OEM manufacturer for different car audio brands.

The Epic line is their entry line but in no way is an entry level driver - use your 12" with confidence Unless you want to use bigger subs or want to save some space, I don't see a reason to change your subs.
They are equally welcome in an SQ setup than a daily ground pounder one...

I used my 2 x Epic 8" (Audiopulse version) sealed because I did not want to lose too much space in my trunk and they did the job better than past 12" I had. But their specs really suggest the use of a ported enclosure.
I don't use them anymore but still own them - next project for the pair is a 2cuft enclosure tuned to 25Hz and a ton of PEQ to make it more efficient

Kelvin
Thanks for the reply. They actually started out as my HT subs, each in 3.5 cubes tuned to 19 hz. I'm a member at techtalk and avs. I'm going back to school and so my wife and I are moving to a much smaller place to save money and she asked me to get rid of the twins!!!! So I thought hey, since I have them how about getting back into car audio.

I'm just curious as to what would be gained if I went to say Morel ultimo subs. I used to have some of their 6 inch woofers in my home and was so attracted to the fact that they had a huge 3" VC for the little woofer. So I'm the same with the fact the morels have a 5" VC. Would much be gained sq wise? Transient response any better?

Dan
Old 05-14-2013   #375
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoracer23 View Post
Thanks for the reply. They actually started out as my HT subs, each in 3.5 cubes tuned to 19 hz. I'm a member at techtalk and avs. I'm going back to school and so my wife and I are moving to a much smaller place to save money and she asked me to get rid of the twins!!!! So I thought hey, since I have them how about getting back into car audio.

I'm just curious as to what would be gained if I went to say Morel ultimo subs. I used to have some of their 6 inch woofers in my home and was so attracted to the fact that they had a huge 3" VC for the little woofer. So I'm the same with the fact the morels have a 5" VC. Would much be gained sq wise? Transient response any better?

Dan
Bigger VC or smaller VC doesn't tell you a thing about SQ other than power handling...
You said that you had around 300 watts on each Epic 12s, 1 Ultimo 12" has a power handling of 1000 watts and some users even recommended 1200 watts to really open up the potential of the subwoofer...

For SQ, displacement is also king (subwoofer moving less to produce a certain level of SPL) so I'd rather use 2 Epic than 1 Ultimo - my opinion on that one

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement