Ultimate SQ Sub - PLEASE VOTE :) - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these would you vote for?
Dynaudio Esotar2 1200 114 10.39%
Image Dynamics iDQv2 243 22.15%
Rainbow Vanadium 38 3.46%
Morel Ultimo 234 21.33%
Focal Utopia 27wx 111 10.12%
Other 391 35.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1097. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009   #51

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 107 pjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Ultimate SQ Sub - PLEASE VOTE :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
I said they were nice, but I would like anyone on here to argue that the JLW6v2 IS in the same category as the Ultimo, Dynaudio 1200, Vanadium, Focal Utopia, Hertz Mille, DIYMA, and probably many more.
Did you miss the post above?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
It is a great upper mid level sub that can deliver nice sq and spl, but does not have the ability to integrate like the other woofers.
So you have experience w/ the other woofers? You do know one size does NOT fit all...right?

Forget it, obviously your opinion is more valid then someones who tests equipment for a living. I threw out a response because it absolutely falls into this "category" & deserved a mention, you're incessant its not just to argue. If you get ANYONE to agree the *edit-bad word* doesn't deserve to be mentioned w/ the likes of the other suggestions, I'll edit my posts so as to not tarnish this "category." Untill then, I'll make no more contributions to this thread.

//Alpine 9887 ¤ CDT BCK-26A tweets ¤ CDT ES-6 mids ¤ JL 450/4v2 ¤ JL 500/1v2 ¤ JL 12W6v2

Last edited by pjhabit; 12-06-2009 at 06:49 AM..
pjhabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009   #52

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 109 MrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enough

Then you better edit your posts, because I currently own a Esotar 1200, previously owned a Ultimo and a DIYMA, tested a Vanadium and a Mille, not to mention others, and the W6v2 is not in the same league.

It's a decent-good subwoofer, but after you factor in price, it's a bad subwoofer. Why? Other subwoofers are better and cost less. That's the rule with everything JL makes.

I'm not one to argue cost when it comes to sound quality. When desiring a certain sound, price comes second. However, in just the ring of performance, the W6v2 would be one of my lower tier options, if I had to make it an option at all. It's better than the rest of the mass crap, such as Kicker, and Sony, and the rest of junk bunch. That's why they do so well. They are known as "better" to the other huge name brands, and thus get a huge name of their own. That places them at average.
MrDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009   #53

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 107 pjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enoughpjhabit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Then you better edit your posts,
I tried (as I'm a man of my word) but it won't let me, I'll be sure to use caution from here on out. Does the edit button disappear after so much time?
Quote:
because I currently own a Esotar 1200, previously owned a Ultimo and a DIYMA, tested a Vanadium and a Mille, not to mention others, and the W6v2 is not in the same league.
Good for you.
I've only had the opportunity to hear the Mille & IMO the ONLY thing it had on the *edit-bad word* was its sexyness, to each his own I guess.
Quote:
It's a decent-good subwoofer, but after you factor in price, it's a bad subwoofer. Why? Other subwoofers are better and cost less.
Paid $200 for mine & my ears don't feel the least bit jewed
Quote:
That's the rule with everything JL makes.
Thats just ignorant
Quote:
I'm not one to argue cost when it comes to sound quality.
Looks like you just did.
Quote:
However, in just the ring of performance, the W6v2 would be one of my lower tier options
Lower tier...of a different "category". I'm confused
Quote:
It's better than the rest of the mass crap, such as Kicker, and Sony, and the rest of junk bunch. That's why they do so well.
Right...but I thought we were talking about a piece of audio equipment.
Quote:
They are known as "better" to the other huge name brands, and thus get a huge name of their own. That places them at average.
Okay now I get it. It isn't good because it has a J & a L on it.

Just to be clear (as I'm coming off as a fan boi), I never said it was the "ultimate SQ sub". All I said was it deserved a mention w/ the likes of the others suggestions. I see no proclaim for recall against the extremely peaky (yet clean) AE or any other. But I mention *edit-bad word* & the hate begins. I may have been too bold w/ the editing comment, but I thought all the *edit-bad word* haters were over at CA.com. I'm gonna go scratch some letters of my equipment, to improve my SQ now...I'll see you guys later.

//Alpine 9887 ¤ CDT BCK-26A tweets ¤ CDT ES-6 mids ¤ JL 450/4v2 ¤ JL 500/1v2 ¤ JL 12W6v2

Last edited by pjhabit; 12-06-2009 at 06:52 AM..
Old 12-06-2009   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 141 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhabit View Post
I tried (as I'm a man of my word) but it won't let me, I'll be sure to use caution from here on out. Does the edit button disappear after so much time?

Good for you.
I've only had the opportunity to hear the Mille & IMO the ONLY thing it had on the *edit-bad word* was its sexyness, to each his own I guess.

Thats just ignorant

Looks like you just did.

Just to be clear (as I'm coming off as a fan boi), I never said it was the "ultimate SQ sub". All I said was it deserved a mention w/ the likes of the others suggestions. I see no proclaim for recall against the extremely peaky (yet clean) AE or any other. But I mention *edit-bad word* & the hate begins. I may have been too bold w/ the editing comment, but I thought all the *edit-bad word* haters were over at CA.com. I'm gonna go scratch some letters of my equipment, to improve my SQ now...I'll see you guys later.
Okay, talk about wanting to argue....how many times did I say they were good subs! I am looking for the best of the best....thats all....sorry not to agree with you.....but since Car audio mag (not in business anymore) said it is the best, I guess it must be (even though my ears - and most ears on here - don't agree). A corvette is a great sports car, would you say it is the same category as a McLaren or Lamborghini?
Niebur3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009   #55

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Melnais_ch will become famous soon enoughMelnais_ch will become famous soon enoughMelnais_ch will become famous soon enoughMelnais_ch will become famous soon enoughMelnais_ch will become famous soon enoughMelnais_ch will become famous soon enough

I agree with pjhabit
Melnais_ch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009   #56

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 109 MrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhabit View Post

Good for you.

Thats just ignorant

Looks like you just did.

Yeah I'm really not going to get into this, and don't have the time to pick apart every single sentence. I'm not really sure what your argument is. You apparently own JL products and think they are one of the upper "SQ" subs.

My argument is that they aren't an upper SQ sub. To repeat myself, they are a decent-good SQ sub. However, they aren't in the ranks of the other subs, and don't deserve to be mentioned.

So, you've only heard the Mille out of all the subs mentioned here, and you can speak from a credible standpoint on the W6v2's SQ compared to the others? Now that's ignorant.

I owned a pair of W6v2's for two years. I'm well aware of what they sound like, and I'm well aware of what the other subs sound like. They aren't in the same class. Story over. If you like them, good for you. However, it's misleading to recommend a product simply because it's one of the only "better" SQ drivers you've owned and therefore think it's one of the "best".

I don't dislike JL. Your conclusions are formed pretty fast, bud. It's no secret of the pact, JL's equipment doesn't offer the best bang for the buck. So they lose in that regard. They are also in no means the top tier quality product. So they lose in that regard. Where do they win? They are probably the most well known audio product amongst people interested in Car audio, most of which don't have the knowledge of better brands. They are familiar with the other "street" brands of Car audio equipment, and out of those brands JL always emerges the winner.

Also, sending in a one post wonder to agree with you is pretty childish. I'm sure you'll deny it, but c'mon now. Until you have heard more equipment, keep the ill founded opinions to yourself. Last time I checked, JL never tore up the SQ competition track. I guess no one realizes that they are one of the best "SQ" options.
Old 12-07-2009   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 155 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, just like %95 of all the other threads like this, it gets out of hand...... READ THE TITLE!!!!!!! Its an OPINION about best sq sub. The w6 was mentioned THE END. We could all get into debates and critique every sub mentioned, but thats not whats being asked here. There is no such thing as a clear winner in this topic. In the right box for the right environment with the right source, etc......when it comes to the sub you are really really splitting hairs. Personally I have owned probably 70-80% of the subs mentioned thus far and would use any of them again without a second thought. What makes my choice is space and power. To say the w6 does not deserve mention with most of the others is just poor. In the right enclosure, etc...... it can hold its own, as can about 1k other subs. You want to mention that $ vs. product is not good.......fine, in fact I would agree but I would also agree the same regarding about 2k other subs and half of the ones mentioned thus far! To tear this guy apart for mentioning it is just wasteful, and childish! This is a good thread because it can give people some new products that they may have not heard of and might fit there needs to a T. This badgering about whether a sub should have been mentioned or should not have is seriously pitiful. So for the sake of this thread.........keep it on topic!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009   #58

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Also, sending in a one post wonder to agree with you is pretty childish. I'm sure you'll deny it, but c'mon now.
LOL Have a mod check IP addresses, if you like.

The L7 "tore up the SQ comp track" back in the day & you yourself said *edit-bad word* was better then the likes of them, so I'm not sure what your point is.
Somehow your elitist mentality got the idea this argument was brand specific. Since reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I'm not gonna get trolled into wasting my time w/ another response. Back to topic, please.

Last edited by pjhabit; 12-07-2009 at 11:05 AM..
Old 12-07-2009   #59
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
Simplicity In Sound
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 180 simplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nicesimplicityinsound is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to simplicityinsound Send a message via Yahoo to simplicityinsound

what, no mention of the velodyne?

IMO these types of threads typically boils down to favoring the subs that the highest number of people have used and those who have the highest visibility except the rainbow, i have heard or worked with all of hte above, out of those, if it was my choice for my own personal vehicle, i would prolly use the ultimo....but i think you can accomplish great results with any of htem if you do the install right.

b

2012-2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 100 Installer
Facebook
Website
Yelp
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 155 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post

IMO these types of threads typically boils down to favoring the subs that the highest number of people have used and those who have the highest visibility except the rainbow, i have heard or worked with all of hte above, out of those, if it was my choice for my own personal vehicle, i would prolly use the ultimo....but i think you can accomplish great results with any of htem if you do the install right.

b
WOW, yeah how the hell did that go over looked so far! Good call. never had the oppertunity to own one (in the Car anyway) but have got to demo a few over the years. I think price/install limited the oppertunity for most, as well as marketing. But Great Call! I also dont know if the soundstream "velvet hammer" has been mentioned or A/D/S 312rs or PX....just a couple more to add
Old 12-07-2009   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 175 michaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nice

I've heard the Ultimo in an S-500 Sealded and Aperiodic, Aperiodic sounded better. I was surprised that he had the rear of the Speaker venting into the cabin.
michaelsil1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 141 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Quote:

b
Now that is a great suggestion....forgot about that sub....a little hard to get, but awesome choice.
Old 12-07-2009   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsil1 View Post
I've heard the Ultimo in an S-500 Sealded and Aperiodic, Aperiodic sounded better. I was surprised that he had the rear of the Speaker venting into the cabin.
I am leaning toward doing an AP enclosure with 1 of these woofers, venting outside the Car (since I have a hatch). I have in my possession the Focal 27wx Utopia, Rainbow Vanadium, Image Dynamics iDQ10 (my current sub in a sealed .50 box) and the home version of the Dynaudio Esotar2 1200. I have the ability to test a Morel UltimoSC 10 locally from a diy member. Due to most manufactures saying the sub can work in a box that is way to small and me only having room for a .5-.6 box sealed (1998 pontiac firebird and wife requiring me to leave the t-top holders), I think the best would be an AP enclosure - at least I hope
Old 12-07-2009   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 145 Se7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud of

I have Phase Aliante 12s I might be willing to part with
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009   #65

DIYMA freshman

All threads like this turn to trash. I have no problem with someone stating opinion, as long as they let it be known as opinion and speak from experience. However, I have a problem with loose claims that are made by people with no experience of the products at hand.

The original poster mentioned a few subs that could contend for "Best SQ" in a lot of people's minds. How can you contribute a new sub to the contention if you haven't even heard the others?

I've heard the Velodyne too. The distortion controlling aspects of the Servo are certainly reminiscent of home subs. Even then, it's nothing that a good install can't accomplish and surpass. Their maximum output was most subs minimum output, a level at which it wouldn't be distorting anyway.

I'm an elitist, I guess. The fact that I've owned most everything from A to Z was frivolous spending. Back to my Kickers.

Aliante 12's? How much?
Old 12-08-2009   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 112 mSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mSaLL150

On that list I have only heard the Ultimo and the IDQv2, liked them both but the Ultimo takes the cake for me.

If you are working with .5 sealed you may want to look at the SI BM. I have not demo'd it yet but others here have, maybe they can chime in. Its a highly anticipated SQ sub that is geared toward space-limited installs.

2013 Focus ST - In Progress! - MyFordTouch - Audison - Phoenix Gold - Scanspeak - Dayton - Stereo Integrity
mSaLL150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009   #67

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 102 boy.kroy will become famous soon enoughboy.kroy will become famous soon enoughboy.kroy will become famous soon enoughboy.kroy will become famous soon enoughboy.kroy will become famous soon enoughboy.kroy will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to boy.kroy

Quote:

b
Would you use the ultimo sealed or ported?
boy.kroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009   #68

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 102 NOTORIOUS97200 will become famous soon enoughNOTORIOUS97200 will become famous soon enoughNOTORIOUS97200 will become famous soon enoughNOTORIOUS97200 will become famous soon enoughNOTORIOUS97200 will become famous soon enoughNOTORIOUS97200 will become famous soon enough

just another one ! The SSA Icon. Very good sq
But I admit, I've never heared the other subs you're talking about!!!
sorry!

Pioneer 9300 sd; Focal 165KP(front), 12" Fi btl N2 in a 2.5 ft3 box @34 Hz ; Sundown audio Saz 1500 and Sax 50.4; Stinger 0 ga power & grounds, and accessories. Damplifier pro. Kinetic HC1200 (rear battery). Big3 (still need to do alt to batt +)
NOTORIOUS97200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Thats just it....it doesnt matter if you heard the others or not...You have heard that and feel it is worth mention. Thank you for mentioning it. It is a sub I would like to have a little play time with myself.
Old 12-11-2009   #70

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 caleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enough

SI mag 12" v2
caleb06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2009   #71

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 XllentAudio will become famous soon enoughXllentAudio will become famous soon enoughXllentAudio will become famous soon enoughXllentAudio will become famous soon enoughXllentAudio will become famous soon enoughXllentAudio will become famous soon enough

im going to vote for the Jl 12w6
XllentAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009   #72

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 caleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enoughcaleb06 will become famous soon enough

i just installed an idmax12" d2
very nice sub!!
with good volume too
caleb06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Anonymous Founder

Rep Power: 100 Thunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enoughThunderplains will become famous soon enough

I have a Fi Q12, great sub and sounds excellent..
Thunderplains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

you may wanna consider tuning, and proper crossover setting.. cause an idq will disappear when used properly..

2016 Civic Turbo Coupe
-Alpine, Arc Audio, Cardas, Hybrid Audio, JL Audio
And a closet full of $hit I'll never use.....
mmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
you may wanna consider tuning, and proper crossover setting.. cause an idq will disappear when used properly..
What crossover frequency would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement