Ultimate SQ Sub - PLEASE VOTE :) - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these would you vote for?
Dynaudio Esotar2 1200 114 10.39%
Image Dynamics iDQv2 243 22.15%
Rainbow Vanadium 38 3.46%
Morel Ultimo 234 21.33%
Focal Utopia 27wx 111 10.12%
Other 391 35.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1097. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009   #76
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA

Rep Power: 101 kickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Ultimate SQ Sub - PLEASE VOTE :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will3 View Post
Incriminator Audio Flatline 12"
x2
kickinaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009   #77

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 macmovieman will become famous soon enoughmacmovieman will become famous soon enoughmacmovieman will become famous soon enoughmacmovieman will become famous soon enoughmacmovieman will become famous soon enoughmacmovieman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
I am leaning toward doing an AP enclosure with 1 of these woofers, venting outside the car (since I have a hatch). I have in my possession the Focal 27wx Utopia, Rainbow Vanadium, Image Dynamics iDQ10 (my current sub in a sealed .50 box) and the home version of the Dynaudio Esotar2 1200. I have the ability to test a Morel UltimoSC 10 locally from a diy member. Due to most manufactures saying the sub can work in a box that is way to small and me only having room for a .5-.6 box sealed (1998 pontiac firebird and wife requiring me to leave the t-top holders), I think the best would be an AP enclosure - at least I hope
Do you have a photo or a link to the AP enclosure you are considering?

2010 Mustang GT (Looking for install)
macmovieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 140 wheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the rough

in an SPL non priority system i would also vote the DIYMA. very very hard to beat. untill you want to break 125db. then all bets are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Fuck the dash, I am driving.
wheelieking71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009   #79
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 154 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

78 posts of subjective crap. Not 1 post defining what the best sq sub would do, what would it sound like? What visual clues should it give? Then the various brands could be compared around this. Logical, effective and conclusive. Not one word about setting and tuning it right. Q numbers, linear xmax. I guess this is too simple and basic for this enlightened audience.

Wake up folks. Expensive equipment does not mean better sound. This is car audio not home audio. Good sound in a car is 55% about tuning, 25% about install and acoustics management and 20% about the equipment you run. Yet we spend 80% of time and mind space arguing about something thats only 20% of the sound chain. Think about it.

For people here who know this and hence have well tuned setups (and no, 85% of you'll don't ), it seems funny that you wouldn't steer the discussion towards a more logical direction.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM

Last edited by sqnut; 12-26-2009 at 09:19 AM..
sqnut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009   #80
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 140 wheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqnut View Post
78 posts of subjective crap. Not 1 post defining what the best sq sub would do, what should it sound like? What visual clues should it give? Then the various brands could be compared around this. Logical, effective and conclusive. Not one word about setting and tuning it right. Q numbers, linear xmax. I guess this is too simple and basic for this enlightened audience.

Wake up folks. Expensive equipment does not mean better sound. This is car audio not home audio. Good sound in a car is 55% about tuning, 25% about install and acoustics management and 20% about the equipment you run. Yet we spend 80% of time and mind space arguing about something thats only 20% of the sound chain. Think about it.

For people here who know this and hence have well tuned setups (and no, 85% of you'll don't ), it seems funny that you wouldn't steer the discussion towards a more logical direction.
the title of the thread is "vote"! not elaborate and discuss. why steer the discussion. anything you could ever want to know about any of the subs on the list to "vote" for is already here. and nobody brought up any other subs that the details havnt aleady been covered. your numbers are off. good sound is not 55% tuning. at least not when it comes to subwoofers. more like 55% install. (enclosure "tuning" is technically install) so you want to elaborate for every possible install scenario in a "vote" thread?! how may different vehicles are on the road right now? how many different transfer functions? how many different loading possibilities? you can make more of a difference in how a subwoofer system sounds simply by turning the enclosure around, than by changing the driver all together. and that is install, and a whole different thread. or many threads that have already happened. my "VOTE" is still the DIYMA (even though i sold all mine)

Quote:
Old 12-26-2009   #81
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 154 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
the title of the thread is "vote"! not elaborate and discuss. why steer the discussion. anything you could ever want to know about any of the subs on the list to "vote" for is already here. and nobody brought up any other subs that the details havnt aleady been covered. your numbers are off. good sound is not 55% tuning. at least not when it comes to subwoofers. more like 55% install. (enclosure "tuning" is technically install) so you want to elaborate for every possible install scenario in a "vote" thread?! how may different vehicles are on the road right now? how many different transfer functions? how many different loading possibilities? you can make more of a difference in how a subwoofer system sounds simply by turning the enclosure around, than by changing the driver all together. and that is install, and a whole different thread. or many threads that have already happened. my "VOTE" is still the DIYMA (even though i sold all mine)
Ok this is where it starts to get racy. Check the vote results. The highest % is for others. So you discount that as noobs thinking what they are running is the best. But that's exactly what the so called experts are doing too. Except they have spent a ton more $$ on their sub, so its got to be better.

The OP is about the best sq sub. It seems logical to me that someone should have defined or questioned as what that best means. So if you discard the noobs (others) dyn + morels rule. Users + fan boys. See the pattern?

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
Old 12-26-2009   #82
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
. good sound is not 55% tuning. at least not when it comes to subwoofers. more like 55% install. (enclosure "tuning" is technically install) so you want to elaborate for every possible install scenario in a "vote" thread?! how may different vehicles are on the road right now? how many different transfer functions? how many different loading possibilities? (even though i sold all mine)
I was talking about tuning your entire three way network. By 3 way I mean Sub+mids+tweets. If you dont belic\ve that tuning is 55% heres a simple exercise.

Post your tuning sheets. Xover points, slopes, L/R eq, TA settings etc. You say cars are different and hence acoustics are different. Sure yes. But thats only 30% oif a difference. 70% of tuning sheets would be similar if everyone understood what tuning really is.

Here's a simple question. Define sq in a single word. Lets see what the responses are.

Old 12-26-2009   #83
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqnut View Post
I was talking about tuning your entire three way network. By 3 way I mean Sub+mids+tweets. If you dont belic\ve that tuning is 55% heres a simple exercise.

Post your tuning sheets. Xover points, slopes, L/R eq, TA settings etc. You say cars are different and hence acoustics are different. Sure yes. But thats only 30% oif a difference. 70% of tuning sheets would be similar if everyone understood what tuning really is.

Here's a simple question. Define sq in a single word. Lets see what the responses are.
you didnt get my point, your in the wrong thread. go back and read the title of the thread and the first post..........

Quote:
Old 12-26-2009   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

oh, and by the way, alot of the tuning you are referring to can be accompished with installation. this thread is about subwoofers. not a 3-way system......

Quote:
Old 12-26-2009   #85
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

oh, and by the way again. first lets see your definition of SQ.

Quote:
Old 12-26-2009   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

oh, and by the way again, the DIYMA works in a box half the size of the one its shipped in. can reach full potential with 500watts, sounds fantastic, and blends incredibly. my "V-O-T-E"

Quote:
Old 12-26-2009   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

ok, anyone more intelligent than you, online tonight?

Old 12-26-2009   #88
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
oh, and by the way again. first lets see your definition of SQ.
I'll share my tuning settings and SQ definition. But after you have. Thats the dare. Upto it?

Old 12-26-2009   #89
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 146 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Wow guys...a day after Christmas and lots of hostility. Did Santa not bring you what you wanted this year??? Seriously, I do understand both sides of the argument. A poll is not a smart way to find out and I know that. I was looking for someone to come out of the woodwork and give me some really meaningful info (other than the ones I have already talked to and PM'd). I do know many of the people that voted other, think theirs is the best simply because they haven't heard many and definitely not one ones I mentioned.

sqnut: I will say that I do know how to tune my system and I know that expensive equipment does not equal better sound, but I do believe from 15 years in car audio, that equipment can make a big difference in sound and that other aspect is being able to properly install speakers in a car in the available space the car has. Meaning, I know a Morel Ultimo may be ideal in a box size I am unable to accommodate. I will say that you are new to this forum and need to use a little discretion with the tone of your comments...there are some really smart people on this forum and even though your comments are valid, some may feel they are a little attacking. My question to you is how many of the subs I mentioned have you heard and how would you compare them?

The DIYMA sub seems like a good fit, but I am concerned with reliability issues that I read about them.

I am looking for the best sq sub I can integrate into my system so that it is seamless with the constraints I am dealing with.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009   #90
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 146 Niebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really niceNiebur3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmovieman View Post
Do you have a photo or a link to the AP enclosure you are considering?
No link since I would be building it from scratch .
Old 12-26-2009   #91
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

my definition of SQ is to convey the recording as it was meant to be heard by the original artist. nearly impossible in an automotive environment.

Quote:
Old 12-26-2009   #92
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 179 michaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nicemichaelsil1 is just really nice

Quote:

The DIYMA sub seems like a good fit, but I am concerned with reliability issues that I read about them.

I am looking for the best sq sub I can integrate into my system so that it is seamless with the constraints I am dealing with.
If you don't require a lot of output it's a great choice.
michaelsil1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009   #93
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Thor Industries
Position:
Lightning bolt delivery

Rep Power: 164 mvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mvw2 Send a message via MSN to mvw2

Voted Other...

...would have to say others not on the list, example DIYMA and SI Magv4.

No lawn darts in the fairway! This is a golf course damn it!
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009   #94
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
sqnut: I will say that I do know how to tune my system and I know that expensive equipment does not equal better sound, but I do believe from 15 years in car audio, that equipment can make a big difference in sound and that other aspect is being able to properly install speakers in a car in the available space the car has. Meaning, I know a Morel Ultimo may be ideal in a box size I am unable to accommodate. I will say that you are new to this forum and need to use a little discretion with the tone of your comments...there are some really smart people on this forum and even though your comments are valid, some may feel they are a little attacking. My question to you is how many of the subs I mentioned have you heard and how would you compare them?

++ for the above. Agreed that I came on a bit strong but I think my facts are in place. My point is that yes, good equipment is important but only after the issues like tuning and install and managing the acoustic limitations in a car etc, are taken care of. Maybe 15% of the folks here would be in this category. The other 85% need to be educated on the other aspect first. Imho.

Yet on most forums so many threads are devoted to arguing over which speaker sounds better etc. Even this thread had a bit of a skirmish based on purely subjective opinions.

SQ for me in one word means balance. This gives me lifelike sound. The feeling of Diana Krall or Sarah Mclachlan sitting on my dash and crooning. Yeah sitting and not standing, cause the stage height could be better.

I am sure there are tons of smart people here. Thats what this forum is known for. Like most, I am here to learn. Peace.

Hey wheelieking71, I think we both got carried away.

Old 12-26-2009   #95
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 102 ebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enough

I had a pair of Boston Acoustics G1 12 inch subs in a custom enclosure wired to an ORION 800.1 Cobalt amp. The SQ rocked but I took it out because I need to drop to 10s so that I can have more of my trunk space. I would tell you from experience that DEI/ORION, KICKER, REALM, and EFX are not good at all. Now I am going to install the BA G2 subs in my ride when I get my Arc Audio or Zapco amp which I cannot make my mind up on. I guess I am going to go with the cheaper so I can get the HERTZ components.

As for the other SQ subs well I guess I will let you know when I come across them when the time comes. Also JL Audio is a good SQ sub but the the Bostons were cheaper. What ever you do please do NOT use Orion amps on them because the Orion amps die after a while and they are overrated to.

PS: Choosing subwoofers is like going through women. Stick the one you are comfortable with no offense to the ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega-LE View Post
Maybe a sub that requires a small enclosure used in conjunction with a passive radiator.
ebrahim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009   #96
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

no biggie sq. my only point is that the equipment is a very small percentage of the final product. funkypups in a volkswagen rabbit can be made to sound good, under the right circumstances. kinda ironic how we were both trying to make the same point. we just went around it in two totally different directions. maybe we should start another thread somewhere and discuss how much more important installation integration, techniques, and tuning are, than the equipment. yes equipment needs to be chosen smartly so that all the drivers work together to form a "balanced" system. (props on a very well chosen single word definition). but in any given install, there may only be one way to attain the desired response. yet i bet there would be several drivers that would work into that single technique to attain the same results.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2009   #97
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
maybe we should start another thread somewhere and discuss how much more important installation integration, techniques, and tuning are, than the equipment.
Ok. That would be a fun project. Its going to take me a couple of days to put it together. Ya sure you can help with the install side.

Old 12-27-2009   #98
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Thanks guys!
Old 12-28-2009   #99

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 107 rosenbaumtravis will become famous soon enoughrosenbaumtravis will become famous soon enoughrosenbaumtravis will become famous soon enoughrosenbaumtravis will become famous soon enoughrosenbaumtravis will become famous soon enoughrosenbaumtravis will become famous soon enough

ARC 12D4 V3. Sounds just like the IDQ but louder.
rosenbaumtravis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009   #100

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 96 rakisto will become famous soon enoughrakisto will become famous soon enoughrakisto will become famous soon enoughrakisto will become famous soon enoughrakisto will become famous soon enoughrakisto will become famous soon enough

i have yet to hear any of these ... but i want to!
rakisto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement