LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 xlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enough

Default JL 1000.1 VS KICKER 1000.1

which one is better as far as

on the electrical system?

as far as rms power?

would the kicker push a single voice coil 3ohm 12w7 as good as the jl 1000
would i be able to tell a big diffrence if the jl did push the w7 better

which one is more efficient?

tried to search for this but the search engine wasn't working for me
thanks to anyone that helps

i am also asking cause i've been saving up for a jl 1000 and that would take about 3 to 4 more months
but i recently came up on a deal were i can get the kicker 1000.1 for 100 dollars and i can do that by this friday

so let me know what you guys think?

just a mcintosh mc425 and jl 12inch w7 so far
but im gon get'er dun
xlversatyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 cbrei1023 will become famous soon enoughcbrei1023 will become famous soon enoughcbrei1023 will become famous soon enoughcbrei1023 will become famous soon enoughcbrei1023 will become famous soon enoughcbrei1023 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JL 1000.1 VS KICKER 1000.1

Why so cheap for the Kicker?
cbrei1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 168 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

if the kicker works get it and use it until you find another/better amp, or you might find its enough for you and never need to upgrade.

check it works (connect it to a car/sub and play bass)

the kicker and the w7 will make sweet bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 xlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enoughxlversatyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrei1023 View Post
Why so cheap for the Kicker?

the guy says he's tried to sell it for higher for along time and no one has bought it so he just dropped his price so he can get something for it.

and from what he says it does work

but im gon get'er dun
Old 05-01-2010   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 168 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlversatyle View Post

and from what he says it does work
people lie, be careful w yo moniez.

Quote:
Old 05-01-2010   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 64 matt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enoughmatt1212 will become famous soon enough

Before I had the rest of my install done, I was running the JL 1000/1(v2) of a stock electrical system. Although it did kill my electrical systems, surprisingly my lights didnt dim anymore than they used to with my old 200x2 kenwood amp. So as far as electrical system, depending on your Car and whether or not your doing future upgrades you should be fine.

as far as rms power, Ive always believed that JL watts are true watts. The JL has a regulated Power supply, which should be your biggest deal breaker at this point. The JL will put out 1000 watts into any ohm load(between 1.5-4), so you know your sub will always be seeing 1000 watts. The kicker puts out 1000 into 2 ohms, so your sub will probably get more like ~850.

in my opinion, do exactly as 60ndown said. Grab the 1000.1 (make sure you test it before you buy if possible), run it for a few month. If you like it, keep it. If you dont, save up money and buy the JL. I love my 1000/1 but it was a shit load of money and probably could have gotten close to the same performance with something a little cheaper.
matt1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 sqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enoughsqoverspl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1212 View Post
Before I had the rest of my install done, I was running the JL 1000/1(v2) of a stock electrical system. Although it did kill my electrical systems, surprisingly my lights didnt dim anymore than they used to with my old 200x2 kenwood amp. So as far as electrical system, depending on your Car and whether or not your doing future upgrades you should be fine.

as far as rms power, Ive always believed that JL watts are true watts. The JL has a regulated Power supply, which should be your biggest deal breaker at this point. The JL will put out 1000 watts into any ohm load(between 1.5-4), so you know your sub will always be seeing 1000 watts. The kicker puts out 1000 into 2 ohms, so your sub will probably get more like ~850.

in my opinion, do exactly as 60ndown said. Grab the 1000.1 (make sure you test it before you buy if possible), run it for a few month. If you like it, keep it. If you dont, save up money and buy the JL. I love my 1000/1 but it was a shit load of money and probably could have gotten close to the same performance with something a little cheaper.
The kickers tend to be underrated. I had a 750.1 that birthed at 900 rms and a friend of mine had a 1000 that did over 1300.

Rebuilding my rebuild
sqoverspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqoverspl View Post
The kickers tend to be underrated. I had a 750.1 that birthed at 900 rms and a friend of mine had a 1000 that did over 1300.
which is a good thing, means the w7 might see about 1000

Quote:
Old 05-01-2010   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 246 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure the kicker will be more efficient than the JL due to the Power supply topology.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 201 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

whichever one is Class D is probably going to work better for your system, if they are both Class D you can probably run either and not tell the difference, imho..

if you get 1300 out of Kicker at 2 ohms, you will be close enough in Power at 3 ohms to compete with the JL and you'll be enjoying your system now as opposed to later.

Kicker has a decent reputation as far as longevity from what I've heard and read, but I don't own any of their newer product.. it's really a matter of whether that amp is working properly or not, 100 bucks is a steal of a deal imo.
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 109 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

The 1000/1 will tear apart the Kicker 1000.1. However, for a 1000/1 to work properly you will need to do upgrades. It's a current hog. But they EASILY match the output of the Kicker 1500.1

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 201 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
The 1000/1 will tear apart the Kicker 1000.1. However, for a 1000/1 to work properly you will need to do upgrades. It's a current hog. But they EASILY match the output of the Kicker 1500.1

Jay
how much db difference do you suppose can be had, without alternator upgrades?

I suspect that most standard charging systems running a 1000 watt class A/B amp will be current-starved.

So you have a chance to put in a Class D amp that at 3 ohms, puts out a respectable 850 watts, and draws 1/3 the amperage, I believe in this scenario the Class D will kick the A/B butt, based on being able to provide 100% Power from the alternator.

would be interested to know if anyone has made this comparison, I probably should have searched in the forum for the answer, haha..
Old 05-02-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 92 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

for 100 buck the kicker would be very hard to beat..... but IMO the JL is a far Cleaner amp.. totally different league.. although it does require a little more current than a Traditional class D amp... because of the RIPS system....
mmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I would be surprised if the guy could tell which amp was better in a A-B blind test, and he can always get his money out of the amp by selling it if he found it wasn't strong enough.

I find it surprising that nobody wants to say the Kicker is good enough, especially when you take into account what it would cost to run the JL in alternator upgrades. If they bench at 1300 watts into 2 ohms, that would mean they probably run at least 700 watts at 4 ohms, which, if you bounce the needle in a 3 ohm load puts it at JL's 1000 watt thermal rating, and the same Power that RIPS gives off of a 1000/1.

How the JL "tears it apart" is a mystery to me.

A quick check on ebay has the JL selling new for around 650 bucks, and the Kicker for 360.

290 bucks difference, for the priviledge of owning JL is a bit rich if the guy is saving up for 3-4 months to get an amp, imho..
Old 05-02-2010   #15
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Car Tunes Stereo Center
Position:
Installation Manager

Rep Power: 109 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Simple answer? Kicker lies about the amp's output.
If the 1000/1 is actually 1000 watts, and I've done 1500.1's on same speakers/box and car, and 1000/1 on the same speakers/box/car, it is far stronger on the 1000/1. Also, the 1000/1 will make the same Power from 1.5 to 4 ohms, the kicker 1000.1 will make like 750 on 3 ohms. Since it beats out an amp rated at 500 watts more than itself, the 1000/1 is either SEVERELY underated, or the kicker is OVERrated.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type thing. On rock music, and most other genres, the blend capabilities are phenomenal. No localization, all bass is upfront, and very solid. But then put on something with a little kick, and it's like walking by a Brontosaurus gangbang.
JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #16

DIYMA freshman

Hey guys thanks for all of your info but i decided that I'm going to go with the alpine pdx 600.1

but im gon get'er dun
Old 05-02-2010   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 246 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

This is the one I'd recommend:
CLARION 1500W MONO Power AMPLIFIER DPX11500 DPX11500B - eBay (item 330429413240 end time May-08-10 12:25:41 PDT)

I know it's refurbished but I'm sure it will be alright.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Old 05-02-2010   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 MiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Simple answer? Kicker lies about the amp's output.
If the 1000/1 is actually 1000 watts, and I've done 1500.1's on same speakers/box and car, and 1000/1 on the same speakers/box/car, it is far stronger on the 1000/1. Also, the 1000/1 will make the same Power from 1.5 to 4 ohms, the kicker 1000.1 will make like 750 on 3 ohms. Since it beats out an amp rated at 500 watts more than itself, the 1000/1 is either SEVERELY underated, or the kicker is OVERrated.

Jay
Kicker lies? That hasn't been my experience with them. Been very happy with their products for years, and years.

I want to see numbers for your claims. Show me where the 1000/1 is actually 1000 watts, and the Kicker is not.

The debate should revolve around regulated or non regulated Power supply. There are benefits to the regulated power supply that a non-regulated can't match. However, the non-regulated is not near the current hog that the regulated power supply is. Huge consideration to take into account.

The wider, capable impedance range of the JL is nice, but at what cost?

Frankly, for somebody that seems strapped for cash, a Kicker 1000.1 for $100.00, given the amp is working is awfully damn hard to beat.

Get the Kicker. If in the future you want something bigger, you can rest assured you'll get your $100.00 back for it. That's a knock out price.

The ability to buy expensive equipment does NOT make you an audiophile.
MiniVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...1&d=1272855591
Does a bit more than rated Power to me

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
Old 05-02-2010   #20

DIYMA freshman

yeah i just came across a deal where i can get the alpine pdx 600.1 for 95 dollars.
the guy that said he going to sell me the kicker stop answering my phone calls so now im going to grab the pdx on friday

but im gon get'er dun