DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Best 6.5 Coaxial Speakers

40K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  D1g1tal V3n0m 
#1 ·
:) I know this is asked a ton of times, cause I have searched this forum and a couple others and found a bunch of info, although a lot of it cancels out one another, some will say a speaker is amazing and others will say it sucks so it leads me here... and I am looking for best for me and my setup...

Looking for the VERY BEST (I can afford) 6.5" Coaxial or Convertible Components.

My price range is upto around $200 a set, I will be using 4 total, 2 up front and 2 in the rear in the stock locations. They will be going into a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext cab.

I like to listen to Country, Rap, and Rock.

I have purchased a Pioneer Z120BT Headunit. These speakers will be ran off of 2 MB Quart DSC450's bridged to 2 channels each putting out 200 Watts RMS. (4ohms x 2channels @200W RMS) So each speaker will receive 200W RMS

I want something that will have great SQ and that can get loud without distortion. Something not to bright, so maybe a silk tweet.

For subs I have purchased 4 (four) 8" Kicker L5 subs running off of a DSC1500 that will be wired in parallel at 1ohm... So I need some coaxials or convertible components that can keep up and wont get drowned out.

The entire cab (doors, floor, roof, firewall, backwall) will be sound deadened.

Thank You in advance! I really appreciate it!:)

See less See more
#2 ·
If you want to save some money i'd spend a little extra on the front component set, run it off one amp and get some coaxials for the rears off deck power or a smaller amp if you must.
Image Dynamics XS65 up front with CTX 6.5's in back is the first thing that comes to mind but i'm sure there's plenty of other options.

#19 ·
This is the same combo I am running right now and love it. Do you have the factory tweeter location in the a-pillars? Just did one of these trucks Monday using Hertz Energy speakers and it turned out great. Used the OEM tweeter location I just asked you about and it worked out good but would have been better with the ID's as they seem to have better off axis response with their tweeters.

I would highly reccommend this package if you can get it in your budget. However, if you are going to be running a four channel bridged to two channels then you may want to look at the CXS64's. Also, the CXS's tend to get louder as they break in. SQ is good right out of the box and so is the output, but they always seem to get louder after a week or two of breaking in. Keep the cross overs in a location that you can get to them easily in case you notice this too that way you can make adjustments if needed. As for waisting the CXS's when they are coaxially mounted... no way. If you don't have the a-pillar location, then go for it. You should have no problem with the ID tweeter in this application in that truck.

Hope this helps. :D

#12 ·
Wow I was directed here from another forum for HELP! But this thread and my other thread have given me very little help except from the helpful few who have attempted to answer my questions and I THANK them VERY much! But I mean comon 156 people have viewed this thread and 3 people have helped.

I know on my truck forums I always answer everyones questions about stuff I know about and they don't!

I thought forums were for helping... I have my doubts on this one... All everyone posts on is build threads with pictures. That helps.

Well I am done with my rant and would appreciate HELP

#40 ·
Wow I was directed here from another forum for HELP! But this thread and my other thread have given me very little help ...I thought forums were for helping... I have my doubts on this one...
My buddy said that I should look at the Alpines. He said I should run Alpine SPX-17PRO's in the front and then Alpine SPX-17REFs in the back! I read the reviews on this site for both and the reviews sound great. I can get the PRO's for $285 and the Ref's for $189. Which would be better the Morel Tempo 6's or the Alpine PRO's/REF's?? Thanks!!!
Here is some very good helpful info for you. The truth is....you could go listen to all the sets recommended in this post and you will hear differences. Even more so if you could listen to all of them in your vehicle. There are many nice sets in the $250-$300 price range. There are some nice choices mentioned here that should fit in your truck and handle the power that you have. Other than that....no one here can tell you which is "best" for you. How could someone say if the Morel or Alpine is better for YOUR install and to YOUR ears?

Someone might tell you that the Pioneer TS-C720PRS are better....then someone else might come in and say the JBL C608GTI set is better for you...etc, etc.. Then with this being a DIYMA forum someone will say DIY is route is the best bet for spending $500....something like:

Exodus Audio Anarchy midwoofer - $146
Scan-Speak Illuminator D3004/602000 Tweeter - $236
Audio Control 24XS active crossover - $130
Mids- 200W x 2, Tweets-50W x 2, the hell with the rears! or Rears - 50W x 2 powering some cheap $59 Phoenix Gold RSD65CD comps.

I think you have some nice options on the table....maybe go try and listen to some of them if possible....if not then make a choice and go for it. With a great install, setup, and tuning the sound is going to be a hell of a lot better then the oem system.

#13 ·
PPI's new stuff is pretty interesting too, you could actually get 2 pairs of the Art series convertible components for $192 at sonicelectronix. The PowerClass ones would be nicer for up front but you would have to mount the tweeter seperately. Also what about the JL Audio C3 650's for the front and C2 650's for the rear?

#16 ·
rms ratings mean nothing for loudness, if you want loud look at the sensitivity. If you want to keep the brands matching which i often do Kicker has some QS and i think RS that are both convertible style components. I used the old Kicker SS as well and they would have no problem keeping up with your subs. Once again i'll say that i would spend 75% of the budget on the fronts at least and the rest on the rears and buy a smaller amp or just run them off the deck.

#15 ·
Go to Madisound.com and look into the HiVi line. Click on their autosound speakers and check out their 6 1/2 coax. I have a set in my truck and for the money they sound really good.

#23 ·
After searching everything I am between...

Focal 165 CVX - Front - $220
Focal 165 CA1 - Rear - $150

CDT CL-E61CV - Front - $300
CDT 6EX - Rear - $100

MB Quart PVI-216 - Front & Rear - $238 (both sets)

Image Dynamics CXS64 - Front - $350
Image Dynamics CTX65 - Rear - $160

Rainbow SL 165 NG - Front & Rear - $400 (Both Sets)

Out of those for a $ to performance/SQ/SPL ratio... which one would you pick and reasons why.

Thanks for the help!

#28 ·
After reading a couple reviews on the Focals... it seems as if the tweeter is only harsh when listening to certain types of music like classical and stuff with a lot of symbols?

I dont think that would be a problem with the type of music I listen too... and they said it could also be toned down if needed by reducing the treble?

If that true I might go with the focals

#29 · (Edited)
there are some things that just can't be fixed with EQ. In the case of the Focals, esp cheaper ones, the tweeters have crappy motors with a high Fs, aka a considerable amount of distortion down low given their "high end" pedigree. The cavity resonances of inverted domes tend to be worse than others as well when there isn't a chamber on the tweeter itself.

#30 · (Edited)
Dome materials

All dome materials have advantages and disadvantages. Three properties designers look for in domes are low mass, high stiffness and good damping. Celestion were the first manufacturers to fabricate dome tweeters out of a metal, copper. Nowadays other metals such as aluminium, titanium, magnesium, and beryllium, as well as various alloys thereof, are used, being both light and stiff but having low damping; their resonant modes occur above 20 kHz. More exotic materials, such as synthetic diamond, are also being used for their extreme stiffness. Polyethylene terephthalate film and woven silk suffer less ringing, but are not nearly as stiff, which can limit their very high frequency output.

In general, smaller dome tweeters provide wider dispersion of sound at the highest frequencies. However, smaller dome tweeters have less radiating area, which limits their output at the lower end of their range; and they have smaller voice coils, which limit their overall power output.
Choices in tweeter materials ^^^

Focal 165 A1

The tweeter uses a unique inverted aluminum dome design with a centered tweeter phase plug designed to smooth the frequency response of the tweeter. Cloth is used to connect the tweeter diaphragm to the housing. According to Focal, the inverted dome is designed to provide better mechanical coupling between the dome and voice coil which results in finer resolution of details and increased dynamics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.