LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 QuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enough

Default Best 6.5 Coaxial Speakers

I know this is asked a ton of times, cause I have searched this forum and a couple others and found a bunch of info, although a lot of it cancels out one another, some will say a speaker is amazing and others will say it sucks so it leads me here... and I am looking for best for me and my setup...

Looking for the VERY BEST (I can afford) 6.5" Coaxial or Convertible Components.

My price range is upto around $200 a set, I will be using 4 total, 2 up front and 2 in the rear in the stock locations. They will be going into a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext cab.

I like to listen to Country, Rap, and Rock.

I have purchased a Pioneer Z120BT Headunit. These speakers will be ran off of 2 MB Quart DSC450's bridged to 2 channels each putting out 200 Watts RMS. (4ohms x 2channels @200W RMS) So each speaker will receive 200W RMS

I want something that will have great SQ and that can get loud without distortion. Something not to bright, so maybe a silk tweet.

For subs I have purchased 4 (four) 8" Kicker L5 subs running off of a DSC1500 that will be wired in parallel at 1ohm... So I need some coaxials or convertible components that can keep up and wont get drowned out.

The entire cab (doors, floor, roof, firewall, backwall) will be sound deadened.

Thank You in advance! I really appreciate it!
QuickBlackSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 114 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Best 6.5 Coaxial Speakers

If you want to save some money i'd spend a little extra on the front component set, run it off one amp and get some coaxials for the rears off deck power or a smaller amp if you must.
Image Dynamics XS65 up front with CTX 6.5's in back is the first thing that comes to mind but i'm sure there's plenty of other options.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 52 QuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enoughQuickBlackSierra will become famous soon enough

I would but $500 for a set of speakers is tooooo much...

Let say this... I would go up to around $500 for both sets....

So $500 for 4 speakers. Different fronts than backs is fine, what ever will give me the best sound for the money. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Napoleon of DIYMA

Rep Power: 85 basshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura about

Look at the Hybrid Audio Imagine serie, they should fit your budget

2012 IASCA SBN SQi Champion "Pro/Am"
2011 IASCA North American Runner-Up and SQi Champion "Pro/AM"
2011 IASCA Canadian Champion "Pro/Am"
2010 IASCA North American Champion "Rookie"
basshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

Checked out the Hybrids they look nice...

Anybody else have a favorite that meets the requirements
Old 07-21-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 114 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

You should be able to pick up the ID's for $500 for both sets, i got the XS65's for right at $300 brand new a few months after they came out.
Old 07-21-2010   #7

DIYMA freshman

Woofersect.com they are $479.99
Old 07-22-2010   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Topper will become famous soon enoughTopper will become famous soon enoughTopper will become famous soon enoughTopper will become famous soon enoughTopper will become famous soon enoughTopper will become famous soon enough

i really like the Polk MM series coax (MM651):

It also comes with an outboard crossover and even gives you the option to run full-active down the line if you ever want to make changes or try something different .

Polk Audio - Mobile Monitor Series - Mobile / Marie Speakers
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #9

DIYMA freshman

Those Polks look nice!

I searched but couldnt find any reviews on them...
Old 07-22-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

I was leaning towards the MB Quart PVI-216 speakers... they have great reviews everywhere I have looked and they are priced well...

What do yall think about those? or any other opinions?
Old 07-22-2010   #11

DIYMA freshman

What about

Image Dynamics CXS62 coaxially setup up front and Image Dynamics CTX65 in the rear for fill? Or would that be a waste of the CXS2 coaxially setup?
Old 07-22-2010   #12

DIYMA freshman

Wow I was directed here from another forum for HELP! But this thread and my other thread have given me very little help except from the helpful few who have attempted to answer my questions and I THANK them VERY much! But I mean comon 156 people have viewed this thread and 3 people have helped.

I know on my truck forums I always answer everyones questions about stuff I know about and they don't!

I thought forums were for helping... I have my doubts on this one... All everyone posts on is build threads with pictures. That helps.

Well I am done with my rant and would appreciate HELP
Old 07-22-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

PPI's new stuff is pretty interesting too, you could actually get 2 pairs of the Art series convertible components for $192 at sonicelectronix. The PowerClass ones would be nicer for up front but you would have to mount the tweeter seperately. Also what about the JL Audio C3 650's for the front and C2 650's for the rear?
Old 07-22-2010   #14

DIYMA freshman

Do the PPIs get loud they only have like 75W RMS...
Old 07-23-2010   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Audio Shoppe
Position:
marketing

Rep Power: 58 voodoosoul will become famous soon enoughvoodoosoul will become famous soon enoughvoodoosoul will become famous soon enoughvoodoosoul will become famous soon enoughvoodoosoul will become famous soon enoughvoodoosoul will become famous soon enough

Go to Madisound.com and look into the HiVi line. Click on their autosound speakers and check out their 6 1/2 coax. I have a set in my truck and for the money they sound really good.
voodoosoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickBlackSierra View Post
Do the PPIs get loud they only have like 75W RMS...
rms ratings mean nothing for loudness, if you want loud look at the sensitivity. If you want to keep the brands matching which i often do Kicker has some QS and i think RS that are both convertible style components. I used the old Kicker SS as well and they would have no problem keeping up with your subs. Once again i'll say that i would spend 75% of the budget on the fronts at least and the rest on the rears and buy a smaller amp or just run them off the deck.
Old 07-23-2010   #19

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
A Stereo Shop
Position:
Little bit of everything

Rep Power: 57 SomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickBlackSierra View Post
What about

Image Dynamics CXS62 coaxially setup up front and Image Dynamics CTX65 in the rear for fill? Or would that be a waste of the CXS2 coaxially setup?
This is the same combo I am running right now and love it. Do you have the factory tweeter location in the a-pillars? Just did one of these trucks Monday using Hertz Energy speakers and it turned out great. Used the OEM tweeter location I just asked you about and it worked out good but would have been better with the ID's as they seem to have better off axis response with their tweeters.

I would highly reccommend this package if you can get it in your budget. However, if you are going to be running a four channel bridged to two channels then you may want to look at the CXS64's. Also, the CXS's tend to get louder as they break in. SQ is good right out of the box and so is the output, but they always seem to get louder after a week or two of breaking in. Keep the cross overs in a location that you can get to them easily in case you notice this too that way you can make adjustments if needed. As for waisting the CXS's when they are coaxially mounted... no way. If you don't have the a-pillar location, then go for it. You should have no problem with the ID tweeter in this application in that truck.

Hope this helps.

Legal disclaimer... this is my own personal opinion that I have made from my own personal experience and based on my own personal tastes. At no time have I implied that anyone is wrong in their own opinions and you need to make a decision based on your own opinions.
SomeGuy748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #20

DIYMA freshman

Thanks for all of the help guys... Im gonna look at all the options you have given me and see what will fit best.
Old 07-23-2010   #21

DIYMA freshman

Looks like those focal 165 CVX have great reviews...

I wish there werent so many to choose from. I just want something that can get loud and not distort... everything seems about the same to me.
Old 07-23-2010   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 moog will become famous soon enoughmoog will become famous soon enoughmoog will become famous soon enoughmoog will become famous soon enoughmoog will become famous soon enoughmoog will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to moog

With so many high quality choices, I think it really comes down to brand preference. I personally try to stick with the same brand throughout my car.
moog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #23

DIYMA freshman

After searching everything I am between...

Focal 165 CVX - Front - $220
Focal 165 CA1 - Rear - $150

CDT CL-E61CV - Front - $300
CDT 6EX - Rear - $100

MB Quart PVI-216 - Front & Rear - $238 (both sets)

Image Dynamics CXS64 - Front - $350
Image Dynamics CTX65 - Rear - $160

Rainbow SL 165 NG - Front & Rear - $400 (Both Sets)

Out of those for a $ to performance/SQ/SPL ratio... which one would you pick and reasons why.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-24-2010   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Not familiar with the Rainbows but i'd skip the CDT's and MB Quarts and either go Focal if you don't mind a bright sometimes referred to as harsh tweeter or the ID's. I'll have to check in to those Rainbows though and see how they look.
Old 07-24-2010   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 mattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enough

I'd go the route of ID's... have you listened to any of them though?
mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote