LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 55 howlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enough

Default A/D/S/ speakers - how do they sound?

I'm piecing together a system for an old Porsche 911S and was wondering what the sound signature of the old school A/D/S/ speakers is like?

Why I ask, is that Porsche and A/D/S have some history together and there is a bunch of NOS components available on eBay... and I have a 310RS sub already.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... and I realize this is a very vague question, but simply knowing whether they tend to be "warm" sounding or "bright" would be helpful.
howlndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 Mooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: A/D/S/ speakers - how do they sound?

Not bright at all. They are neutral/warm if anything. If you're looking for period speakers, you can't do better than A/D/S/ in my opinion. A/D/S/ ruled the 80s and 90s and is still very good compared with the best today.

Trade in your 310RS and buy my 310PX.

Pioneer 880PRS, Tru SSLD6, Morel Supremo Piccolo, Hertz ML 1600, Morel 12" Ultimo, Tru Copper C7.4, Clarion DPX11551
Mooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 243 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Buy the 310PX and use this:
ADS A/D/S 336PX Complete set!! BRAND NEW! NO RESERVE!! - eBay (item 260706326711 end time Dec-15-10 16:24:22 PST)

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another
subwoofery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 I800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the rough

There's a nice px amp on ebay too. Last time I checked it was brand new and ~$500 on bids so far.

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
SOLD--04 Grand Prix: 9887, 346is, R12, Leviathan--http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...e-install.html
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 83 ChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enough

A/D/S sound great. I like to compare them to Morel Elate Series with a bit more detail in the tweeter end of things but a bit less midbass impact if you go with the 6.5" driver.

If you need to sell that 310 rs sub for something else let me know!! :-) (like that PX sub)

Also, if you need a 4" A/D/S mid range pair I have a set that I have never used. Just drivers. $70 shipped to you.

2010 FJ Cruiser!!!
Clarion DRZ-9255 - Morel Elate 9s + 4's - MT23's - Diamond Audio TDX 12 - Massive amps.
ChiTownSQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 55 howlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enoughhowlndog will become famous soon enough

Fellas,

Thanks for the information and the great suggestions, albeit expensive ones . Those PX drivers are gorgeous... it would almost be a shame to bury such beautiful industrial design inside a door.

ChiTownSQ - While I hadn't thought of going 3-way, I'll think about those 4" drivers and get back to you.
Old 12-13-2010   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 I800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the rough

I enjoy the 346is I have. However, the leather seats, sunroof, and plastic provide some nasty reflections that have to be tamed. Otherwise my sound is very smooth once it was dialed in. Otherwise they were bright and harsh just thrown in.

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
SOLD--04 Grand Prix: 9887, 346is, R12, Leviathan--http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...e-install.html
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

When the music's over

Rep Power: 65 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

Are the ones you are looking for the ame as these:
Awesome comp. set for cheap (a must buy)

If that's the case they should be easyer to track down. Just out of curiosity, what was the link between Porsche and a/d/s/?

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesayso View Post
Are the ones you are looking for the ame as these:
Awesome comp. set for cheap (a must buy)

If that's the case they should be easier to track down. Just out of curiosity, what was the link between Porsche and a/d/s/?
Yes, that's what I'm talking about

Regarding a/d/s/ and Porsche - I came across a few threads on Pelican that spoke of this (give it a search and you'll see what I mean). I don't think it was a "formal" relationship, but there seemed to be some a/d/s/ marketing that used a 930 and a rather notable install that was featured in a late 80s Car Audio magazine.
Old 12-17-2010   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 83 ChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enoughChiTownSQ will become famous soon enough

A/D/S Had a stronger (relationship) with BMW here in the states from mid 90's on. Much of their marketing contained installs in BMW cars. They also advertised that the speakers were direct replacements for factory locations in BMW cars.

They also followed the same kind of marketing in the late 90's that BMW did as well with the 2 and 3 series speakers.

Here is an ebay link of some direct drop in Porsche subwoofer system as well.

a/d/s/ High Fidelity S6.2i Component Subwoofer System - eBay (item 260707172217 end time Dec-19-10 08:36:47 PST)

As a high end speaker manufacture, they were aligning themselves with the high end automotive cars and targeting those customers that would spend that kind of coin on stereo upgrades.

2010 FJ Cruiser!!!
Clarion DRZ-9255 - Morel Elate 9s + 4's - MT23's - Diamond Audio TDX 12 - Massive amps.
ChiTownSQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Thanks ChiTownSQ... this picture gives me goosebumps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ads_porsche.jpg (39.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-17-2010   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 48 mdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enough

The a/d/s 3xx series were the top of the top back in the day.
They were smooth and warm and detailed.
They were the dynaudios of the 90's before dynaudio even entered the car audio market.
No speaker at the time sold more or pleased more customers when on the display board.
The boston pro series and mb quarts couldn't compete. Most of the asian customers and middle aged or older customers picked the a/d/s. The younger kids picked the quarts.
mdechgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 48 mdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enoughmdechgan will become famous soon enough

I wanted to mention my experience.
Back in the day in the shop I used to work on the display were 3 main speakers, a/d/s, boston pro, and mb quarts.
We were ordered by the owner to push and sell more boston speakers because we were to phase out being a dealer for the a/d/s and mb quarts. So on the display we took out the crossovers for the a/d/s and replace them with an inductor and a capacitor. They still sounded better and sold better than the boston acoustic pro series.
The bostons were good speakers, but nothing special or spectacular. The mb quarts had a sound one could impress with, but the a/d/s speakers had a sound one could listen with.

I still use a pair of 320is in my second car. 15 years old and going strong.
Old 12-24-2010   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 65 asawendo will become famous soon enoughasawendo will become famous soon enoughasawendo will become famous soon enoughasawendo will become famous soon enoughasawendo will become famous soon enoughasawendo will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: A/D/S/ speakers - how do they sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdechgan View Post
I wanted to mention my experience.
Back in the day in the shop I used to work on the display were 3 main speakers, a/d/s, boston pro, and mb quarts.
We were ordered by the owner to push and sell more boston speakers because we were to phase out being a dealer for the a/d/s and mb quarts. So on the display we took out the crossovers for the a/d/s and replace them with an inductor and a capacitor. They still sounded better and sold better than the boston acoustic pro series.
The bostons were good speakers, but nothing special or spectacular. The mb quarts had a sound one could impress with, but the a/d/s speakers had a sound one could listen with.

I still use a pair of 320is in my second car. 15 years old and going strong.
Same with me I still use a/d/s AL6 since 1994

Best Regards

Wendo
asawendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #15

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by asawendo View Post
Same with me I still use a/d/s AL6 since 1994

Best Regards

Wendo
How did the Al4,5,6 series differ from the 3xx series?
I forgot.

Eclipse CD 7200MKII,
MB Quart QM160,QM25HX,Focal CA690,JL Audio 10w6v2,
Zapco Studio 300X,Studio 50,C2K2.0X
Old 12-24-2010   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 Salami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How did the Al4,5,6 series differ from the 3xx series?
I forgot.
AL's were similar to the 320/325is only. The tweeters I believe were the same. The 320/325 had better quality mids and I think the crossovers may have had better quality parts.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 an2ny888 will become famous soon enoughan2ny888 will become famous soon enoughan2ny888 will become famous soon enoughan2ny888 will become famous soon enoughan2ny888 will become famous soon enoughan2ny888 will become famous soon enough

just got a used ads R12 sub with dual 6ohm vc, any feedback on this sub?
an2ny888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 JDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enoughJDMRB1ODY will become famous soon enough

I had the 320i with a 8 inch sub in the doors and they souded great.

'05 JDM Honda Odyssey Absolute, HKS C-Wagon +, 19" Venerdi CL-610 on 235/23/19 Yokohama DNA db. DAD interior upgrades, Modulo wood steering wheel, interior kit, Honda HDD Navi, Alpine TMX-R1500 rear tv with kit. Alpine F-1 DVI-9990, TMI-M990, PXI-H990X2, Dynaudio Esotar2 on the way.
JDMRB1ODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 Mooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The younger kids picked the quarts.
I picked the Quarts.

I regretted it too. I should have coughed up the extra money and gotten the 320is.

Pioneer 880PRS, Tru SSLD6, Morel Supremo Piccolo, Hertz ML 1600, Morel 12" Ultimo, Tru Copper C7.4, Clarion DPX11551
Mooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #20

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooble View Post
I picked the Quarts.

I regretted it too. I should have coughed up the extra money and gotten the 320is.
There is reason the quarts were picked.
The quarts were the best display speakers ever.
They had that aggressive sound one could impress with.

Eclipse CD 7200MKII,
MB Quart QM160,QM25HX,Focal CA690,JL Audio 10w6v2,
Zapco Studio 300X,Studio 50,C2K2.0X
Old 12-28-2010   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 194 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I dunno, I've heard some damned fine sounding cars with Quart (<--stupid redirector took away the capital "Q" and it's not Quarts or Quartz) drivers. Almost universally the tweeters needed to be off axis to smooth them out. Now that I think about it, I don't know that I ever herd a single install with them on axis that sounded good.

quality_sound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 malcris is on a distinguished roadmalcris is on a distinguished roadmalcris is on a distinguished roadmalcris is on a distinguished roadmalcris is on a distinguished road

Just to bump up here, I can't think of a more neutral sounding speaker. Just out of curiousity what year is the porsche. I rescently did a restoration on a
'78 911 sc (I think it was the first year of the sc). Saw the link for the 6.2's and I couldn't recommend a better fit for the rear deck.......If you go 3 way (as I did in my restoration) the 6.2's will pull double duty as great fill and good sub bass (real punchy). I ran px tweets (off ebay) 4" mids and the sb 7's in kickpanels. Had an old alpine (sorry forget the #, benzi-box pullout), pq 20 to power the 6.2's (I've found the a/d/s stuff works best at 4ohms stereo), and a ph15 active to power the front stage. Simple, and flawless.....I find the stuff sold today has inferior build quality, and suffers from graininess in the upper frequencies in comparison to the a/d/s gear. Their systems were designed and built for people with fully functioning hearing......its a bummer they are gone....hey they brought back ppi, now it time to bring back a/d/s/
malcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 torontooddysey will become famous soon enoughtorontooddysey will become famous soon enoughtorontooddysey will become famous soon enoughtorontooddysey will become famous soon enoughtorontooddysey will become famous soon enoughtorontooddysey will become famous soon enough

I've got a pair of A/D/S/ S7 stifflite subs for if youre looking for some good midbass
torontooddysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontooddysey View Post
I've got a pair of A/D/S/ S7 stifflite subs for if youre looking for some good midbass
you have a pm