View Poll Results: Do you use rear fill?
Yes 437 41.58%
No 614 58.42%
Voters: 1051. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009   #326

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 Izay123 will become famous soon enoughIzay123 will become famous soon enoughIzay123 will become famous soon enoughIzay123 will become famous soon enoughIzay123 will become famous soon enoughIzay123 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Rear Fill: do you use it?

I use rear fill with my Premier deh-p780mp... I use the time alignment feature and it actually augments the soundstage and the ability to locate instruments and voices in front of me. However, with the time alignment off, it confuses me and muddles the sound. Anyone else with TA that loves rear fill?
Izay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #327

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
contach audio
Position:
marketing manager

Rep Power: 0 mitchelbriones will become famous soon enoughmitchelbriones will become famous soon enoughmitchelbriones will become famous soon enoughmitchelbriones will become famous soon enoughmitchelbriones will become famous soon enoughmitchelbriones will become famous soon enough

Im not using any rear fill, but instead invested in a good 3-way.
mitchelbriones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #328
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

Rep Power: 77 bigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanatic Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanatic

No way rear fill helps the sound in no way. A real SQ setup will have no rear fill.
bigaudiofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #329

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 EVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enoughEVcelica will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izay123 View Post
I use rear fill with my Premier deh-p780mp... I use the time alignment feature and it actually augments the soundstage and the ability to locate instruments and voices in front of me. However, with the time alignment off, it confuses me and muddles the sound. Anyone else with TA that loves rear fill?
Yes, I prefer the sound of my system with rear fill on as opposed to off. (I do have TA as well) I've never tried it without the TA though.

I have also tried delaying the rear speakers 20 milliseconds or so and don't like it as well as when its "correctly" time aligned. I can hear the rears coming in after the fronts and it makes the voices less clear.
EVcelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #330

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 73 SPAZ will become famous soon enoughSPAZ will become famous soon enoughSPAZ will become famous soon enoughSPAZ will become famous soon enoughSPAZ will become famous soon enoughSPAZ will become famous soon enough

In my previous Car I tried to get by without using the rear fill and all my passengers in the back seat had issues hearing the music. I had 2 way comps in kickpanels. What I will do this time is use the stock rear fill but fade it out completely unless I have passengers in the back.
SPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #331

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 Mazda6i07 will become famous soon enoughMazda6i07 will become famous soon enoughMazda6i07 will become famous soon enoughMazda6i07 will become famous soon enoughMazda6i07 will become famous soon enoughMazda6i07 will become famous soon enough

I dont have any rear fill at all, considering trying to add something back there but i doubt i'll get around to it.
Mazda6i07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #332
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 83 I800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the rough

Rear fill isn't just slapping some speakers in the rear of the car. I wish this thread was closed.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...eads-list.html

Look under the topic heading "Rear Fill".

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
SOLD--04 Grand Prix: 9887, 346is, R12, Leviathan--http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...e-install.html
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #333

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 vladi627 will become famous soon enoughvladi627 will become famous soon enoughvladi627 will become famous soon enoughvladi627 will become famous soon enoughvladi627 will become famous soon enoughvladi627 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by I800C0LLECT View Post
Rear fill isn't just slapping some speakers in the rear of the car. I wish this thread was closed.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...eads-list.html

Look under the topic heading "Rear Fill".
lol. agreed. I've heard cars with rear fill that sound amazing. It's really a question of how good the install is done. Of course not having them means you spend less money. and that's why i don't use thmem
vladi627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #334
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

Rep Power: 77 bigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanatic Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanatic

Honestly in top end cars there are no rear speakers because SQ "sound quality" is setup for optimal performance. I own a civic and I have taken the rear speakers out so that way I have no rear fill as they call it. If you listen to it for a few days you will get use to it and it will definitely sound better than 4 channels. Think of it this way artist record there music in 2 channel format so the optimum way to listen to it is threw 2 channels. My setup is going to be my fronts and a rear sub that's all. After thinking about it and listening to it it sounds way better. So in a nut shell do not get rear speakers or worry about it.
Old 07-18-2009   #335

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 the74rrhotline will become famous soon enoughthe74rrhotline will become famous soon enoughthe74rrhotline will become famous soon enoughthe74rrhotline will become famous soon enoughthe74rrhotline will become famous soon enoughthe74rrhotline will become famous soon enough

Wow great thread here. I consider myself knowledgeable, but had never thought about this. I will keep some rear speakers (as I have extra people in the Car often enough, but I will be cropping the rears out from now on
the74rrhotline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #336
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 83 I800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic View Post
Honestly in top end cars there are no rear speakers because SQ "sound quality" is setup for optimal performance. I own a civic and I have taken the rear speakers out so that way I have no rear fill as they call it. If you listen to it for a few days you will get use to it and it will definitely sound better than 4 channels. Think of it this way artist record there music in 2 channel format so the optimum way to listen to it is threw 2 channels. My setup is going to be my fronts and a rear sub that's all. After thinking about it and listening to it it sounds way better. So in a nut shell do not get rear speakers or worry about it.

Apparently you can't read either. Throwing a full range in the back of your Car isn't rear fill. Refer a few posts above.

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
SOLD--04 Grand Prix: 9887, 346is, R12, Leviathan--http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...e-install.html
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #337
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

hmmm
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #338

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
AudioGizmos
Position:
Founder & CEO

Rep Power: 0 invinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izay123 View Post
I am using the Clarion DXZ785 with Morel's comp in front and coax at rear. Though the system is passive have connected the comps to the 'highs' and rear coax running of 'Mids', with 200hz to 5k hz freq. on them. Added TA with mild gain and it has definitely helped with cleaner vocals and adds an aura of a bigger room. I tried playing just the front comps with coax off but some how prefer it with rear(coax) on.
Just like that way.
invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #339
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I800C0LLECT View Post
Apparently you can't read either. Throwing a full range in the back of your Car isn't rear fill. Refer a few posts above.
I do not like sitting and reading 14 pages of thread when I know what is best for a SQ setup.
Having rear speakers also changes your axis as well.
Old 07-27-2009   #340

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
AudioGizmos
Position:
Founder & CEO

Rep Power: 0 invinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enoughinvinsible will become famous soon enough

I agree, but with right amount of gain, tuning and TA on rears, it could also make your system sound much better. Quite a few people have heard my setup but when I shut the rears, they do enjoy just the fronts coming off right from the centre of the dashboard, but as I put the rear on, the degree of enjoying the sound increases with the sound yet coming of the centre but giving a feeling/illusion of sitting in a larger concert.
invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #341
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

Na from all 14 setups that I have listened too none have had rear fill and it sounds so nice there is no time delay as well. I will stick to what is proven to be the best setup for SQ.
Old 07-30-2009   #342

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Rico will become famous soon enoughRico will become famous soon enoughRico will become famous soon enoughRico will become famous soon enoughRico will become famous soon enoughRico will become famous soon enough

I was wondering if any of you use a stock Speaker in the rear? I'm planning to hook up an amp for the rear,would the setup affect my overall sound if I use it in conjuction with my front speakers?

My future setup:

Front: Morel Dotech Ovation 6
Rear: Stock
Amp: JL audio 300/4
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #343

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 andrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enough

I have rear speakers and I like them... They are good for the rear passengers...
andrewmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #344

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 InterHat will become famous soon enoughInterHat will become famous soon enoughInterHat will become famous soon enoughInterHat will become famous soon enoughInterHat will become famous soon enoughInterHat will become famous soon enough

People with speakers in the rear with just T/A aren't doing rear fill. You do not have an SQ set up if you have speakers in the rear and they are not being processed for rear fill duty. There is no way around this.

Basically, if you have speakers in the back and they aren't run through processing to difference both channels and run them to the rear, T/A, delay, and crossed over, you're not doing it right and are basically shouting "I've never heard a decent stereo reproduction. I have no idea what I'm doing!."

Think about a home setup. When you put pro-logic: music on it doesn't just send the same L/R signal to the rears.
InterHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #345
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Do it yourself

Rep Power: 136 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterHat View Post
you're not doing it right and are basically shouting "I've never heard a decent stereo reproduction. I have no idea what I'm doing!."
That's an elitist way to look at it. Sure more equipment and better components can solve the front / rear problem of Car stereo, but it's not simple nor is it cheap. This thread does seem to get a lot of replys comparatively.
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #346
Upgrade Your Membership!

Create a new enthusiast.

12V Company:
Imagine Audio

Rep Power: 110 WRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to WRX/Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
That's an elitist way to look at it. Sure more equipment and better components can solve the front / rear problem of Car stereo, but it's not simple nor is it cheap. This thread does seem to get a lot of replys comparatively.
It's not really elitist. Stereo is a two channel format. Reproducing the same sound from two different places serves no purpose without time alignment, and IMO, serves little purpose with time alignment. IMO, people use it as a band aid for problems with their front stage's performance, or to acheive more volume. These are hardly reasons rooted in the interest of sound quality.

To correct for Subwoofery's edited Lycan quote in his signature.Here is the actual Lycan quote UNEDITED: "I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same. I can pull two amps from the same damn production line, and set their gains or crossovers different, and i promise they WILL sound different. It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this."
WRX/Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #347
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 185 MarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterHat View Post
People with speakers in the rear with just T/A aren't doing rear fill. You do not have an SQ set up if you have speakers in the rear and they are not being processed for rear fill duty. There is no way around this.

Basically, if you have speakers in the back and they aren't run through processing to difference both channels and run them to the rear, T/A, delay, and crossed over, you're not doing it right and are basically shouting "I've never heard a decent stereo reproduction. I have no idea what I'm doing!."

Think about a home setup. When you put pro-logic: music on it doesn't just send the same L/R signal to the rears.
"SQ" is overrated. Personal preference is the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery
What I wanted to say is that amps ... sound the same.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #348
AWC
DIYMA 500 Club

Pleased to meet you..

Rep Power: 247 AWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX/Z28 View Post
It's not really elitist. Stereo is a two channel format. Reproducing the same sound from two different places serves no purpose without time alignment, and IMO, serves little purpose with time alignment. IMO, people use it as a band aid for problems with their front stage's performance, or to acheive more volume. These are hardly reasons rooted in the interest of sound quality.
I have a friggin outstanding front stage and I'm still adding outstanding rear speakers to improve my front stage...but it won't be stereo. I'll also be adding center channel this weekend, yes, an outstanding one, all to improve the front stage that is already fantastic.

My "reason rooted in SQ" is to give myself...SQ in more seats. I like to drive but I also like to ride. I've had very good luck with a center, properly processed so I can't wait for a center+rear-fill, properly processed....but wait, greater SPL DOES mean greater SQ, doesn't it? Seriously, if you think about it, greater SQ at greater volumes will give you better (oh, gosh...here it comes again) SQ on the road since you can overcome some of those pesky challenges like driving. So if rear-fill could give the same or better SPL with the same detail and staging, is that not an obvious thumbs up?

Still, it isn't elitist for me to agree or disagree with facts. Stereo is a 2 channel system. I'll be employing a total of 10 speakers to get the most out of a stereo mix....so what does that count as, anyway? It still boils down to a smart matrix of multi-channel processing for a two channel signal.

Save the world….VOTE HILLARY!!!!
AWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #349

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 91 98kugt will become famous soon enough98kugt will become famous soon enough98kugt will become famous soon enough98kugt will become famous soon enough98kugt will become famous soon enough98kugt will become famous soon enough

I use it but only because I carry alot of passengers in the rear seats. Most of the time I keep it faded towards the front a little when I'm alone. Also there's about 1/6 of the Power of the rears when compared to the fronts.
98kugt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #350
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 129 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

somebody better tell Mark Eldridge to remove his rear fill, cause he has it all wrong

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is online now   Reply With Quote