View Poll Results: Do you use rear fill?
Yes 437 41.58%
No 614 58.42%
Voters: 1051. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009   #351
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 doitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to doitor

Default Re: Rear Fill: do you use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
somebody better tell Mark Eldridge to remove his rear fill, cause he has it all wrong
LOL.
I've heard Mark's Car with and without the rearfill.
The difference is HUGE.
Way better with the rearfill, just to make it clear.
Even with it on you cant hear (localize) it and it doesnt pull you to the back.
It gives you an incredible sense of envelopment.
It "erases" the physical booundaries of the Car and takes the stage way outside the car.

J.

MKV GTI - Sound system in progress....
doitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #352
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 129 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

Jorge, dont do it man. all the top sq cars have no rear fill what I think is funny is that I have rear fill in my truck. My scores are higher with it on. NOBODY has ever asked me if I had rear fill Top secret stuff mang!!

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #353
Upgrade Your Membership!

Create a new enthusiast.

12V Company:
Imagine Audio

Rep Power: 110 WRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to WRX/Z28

Rear fill done properly with T/A can sound good to some...

It seems to be that very few people with rear fill do it properly though.

I've run 0 rear fill in my last 4 vehicles, and have yet to tell me that it sounded like something was missing.

Stereo recordings through a well done front stage should not need the band-aid of rear fill. IMO of course...

To correct for Subwoofery's edited Lycan quote in his signature.Here is the actual Lycan quote UNEDITED: "I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same. I can pull two amps from the same damn production line, and set their gains or crossovers different, and i promise they WILL sound different. It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this."
WRX/Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #354
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 129 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

I don't use it as a a bandaid, and I agree that a proper front stage set up properly works just fine, BUT, if done correctly, rear fill can enhance the entire listening experience. again, my .02 on the matter

Team Zapco
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
Old 08-29-2009   #355
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Cool Re: Rear Fill: do you use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
werewolf[/B];101449]"rear fill" encompasses many possibilities :

- simple, attenuated L and R
- delayed (beyond Precedence, or Haas, Effect), attenuated, bandlimited L and R
- delayed, attenuated, bandlimited difference signal, L-R

there's a world of difference between these options. Some will confuse the front stage, others will enhance the front stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
werewolf[/B];101475]Your friend isn't the only one who thinks you can get surround from a 2-channel signal

Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS neo:6, Harman Logic7 come to mind ...

Sure, they have more sophisticated steering algorithms ... but have you heard a well-tuned system using a delayed, bandlimited L-R difference signal sent to the rears?
Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Big difference between a concert hall and car: size of the acoustic space!

And it's NOT just a relative difference ... there's a real, tangible threshold involved, as defined by the Haas Effect. In a car, there's a real good chance that the natural reflections will not exceed the precedence effect (about 20msec, if memory serves) ... meaning that natural reflections will only tend to smear and confuse the front stage. In a concert hall, there's a real good chance that the natural reflections will exceed the precedence threshold.

So if you delay the rear fill by ~20msec or slightly more, you can create an apparent acoustic space that is much larger ... without confusing or ruining the front stage. This is a good thing Yes, we face the orchestra in a concert hall ... a classic argument against dumb rear fill ... but we also sense that the concert hall is bigger than about 25 cubic feet ... a very good argument in favor of smart rear fill

How to best accomplish it, is perhaps a discussion for another thread. You need a processor with time alignment, and the ability to bandlimit the rears. The difference signal can be formed either actively before the amp (trivial with balanced signals, not even hard with transformers and single-ended signals), or speaker-level after the amp (the classic Hafler matrix was the old, dumb example ... with no time delay, and even only crude attenuation and bandlimiting). But here's an interesting link for further reading:

http://www.mlssa.com/surround/surround3.htm

Of course, you may want to consider the options mentioned above ... Dolby Pro Logic II (invented by Fosgate with an automotive acoustic space in mind), DTS Neo:6, and the new Harman Logic7 processor for the Car (which, by the way, is starting to get some very encouraging reviews). All of these options create a multi-channel signal from a 2-channel source, and make very intelligent use of speakers behind your head

I guess my main point is this : all "rear-fill" is not created equal It's important to distinguish what type, before we summarily embrace or dismiss the entire category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
werewolf[/B];101740]The "L-R difference" signal is really just that : the algebraic difference between the left and right signals. Sometimes it's called the "ambience" or "surround" component of the original 2-channel source.

Consider a largely mono signal, like voice (in most recordings, certainly not all). A mono signal will have about the same level in the left and right channels ... and will therefore disappear in the difference So immediately we recognize a HUGE difference bewteen standard, L and R rear-fill and a rear-fill signal constructed from the L-R difference : one will have the main vocal in the rear, the other will not Perhaps that alone is a big incentive to resist lumping all rear-fill possibilities together?

Anyway, check the link i posted earlier for more about L-R difference signals, and how to construct and manipulate them without using PL II, Neo:6 or Logic7.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009   #356
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 84 I800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the rough

Asshole = Beautiful person.

write that down.

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
SOLD--04 Grand Prix: 9887, 346is, R12, Leviathan--http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...e-install.html
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #357
ogg

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 ogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enoughogg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by a$$hole View Post
Hmmm, now I think I want to try rear fill again, especially since I've got T/A.

BTW A$$hole- I'm pretty sure the quote in your sig is originally from a Grandmaster Flash song.
ogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #358
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitor View Post
LOL.
I've heard Mark's Car with and without the rearfill.
The difference is HUGE.
Way better with the rearfill, just to make it clear.
Even with it on you cant hear (localize) it and it doesnt pull you to the back.
It gives you an incredible sense of envelopment.
It "erases" the physical booundaries of the Car and takes the stage way outside the car.

J.
YES!!!

Ge0

Alpine, Zapco, Scanspeak, Image Dynamics, Critical Mass
Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #359
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 110 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic View Post
No way rear fill helps the sound in no way. A real SQ setup will have no rear fill.
Just plain ignorant. Listen to a vehicle with this set up PROPERLY before rendering judgement. If one does it half assed, one will get half assed results. Therefore, one will think rear fill sucks. But in reality... enough said.

Ge0

Alpine, Zapco, Scanspeak, Image Dynamics, Critical Mass
Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #360

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 65 2gemini will become famous soon enough2gemini will become famous soon enough2gemini will become famous soon enough2gemini will become famous soon enough2gemini will become famous soon enough2gemini will become famous soon enough

Ok, this is not as technical or in-depth of an answer as many others but here it goes.
Yes, when I get my system installed, I will use rear fill. However, unlike my fronts which are amped, the rears get the privilege of running off HU Power

I'll play with the TA and volume for the back, but at the end of the day it will come down to what sounds good to me.
2gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #361
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 Fixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure this has been said, but would it not be most beneficial to run rear-fill from a single mono channel?

2011 Hyundai Elantra AMT
STOCK
Fixtion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #362
Upgrade Your Membership!

Create a new enthusiast.

12V Company:
Imagine Audio

Rep Power: 110 WRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixtion View Post
I'm sure this has been said, but would it not be most beneficial to run rear-fill from a single mono channel?

I think this would depend on the location of your rear speakers (doors vs. rear deck) and the signal summing capability of your amp/processor.

To correct for Subwoofery's edited Lycan quote in his signature.Here is the actual Lycan quote UNEDITED: "I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same. I can pull two amps from the same damn production line, and set their gains or crossovers different, and i promise they WILL sound different. It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this."
Old 09-07-2009   #363

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 83 DanMan will become famous soon enoughDanMan will become famous soon enoughDanMan will become famous soon enoughDanMan will become famous soon enoughDanMan will become famous soon enoughDanMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Jorge, dont do it man. all the top sq cars have no rear fill what I think is funny is that I have rear fill in my truck. My scores are higher with it on. NOBODY has ever asked me if I had rear fill Top secret stuff mang!!
Are you funnin' with us? If so you should be careful because some of us little people really look up to guys like you.

If you really do use rear fill maybe you could tell us how it's done without the techno-babble.

Seriously though. Lately I feel that something is missing between the height and depth of the frontstage and the localization of the subs(at volume) in the rear. Maybe it is time to experiment with rear fill.
DanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #364
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: Rear Fill: do you use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
"rear fill" encompasses many possibilities :

- simple, attenuated L and R
- delayed (beyond Precedence, or Haas, Effect), attenuated, bandlimited L and R
- delayed, attenuated, bandlimited difference signal, L-R

there's a world of difference between these options. Some will confuse the front stage, others will enhance the front stage.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #365

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 PhattyT will become famous soon enoughPhattyT will become famous soon enoughPhattyT will become famous soon enoughPhattyT will become famous soon enoughPhattyT will become famous soon enoughPhattyT will become famous soon enough

front stage ftw
PhattyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #366
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

rear fill delayed 20ms playing 300-3.5k with L-R signal. beautiful!! level is crucial

Team Zapco
Old 09-10-2009   #367
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 Fixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura about

why the delay? does it make the listening environment sound larger?

2011 Hyundai Elantra AMT
STOCK
Fixtion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #368
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

yes, it does not interfere with your front stage information.

Team Zapco
Old 09-26-2009   #369

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 72 xxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enoughxxx_busa will become famous soon enough

I have overkill on my rear deck dynaudio 340. Front stage is 340, soon to be 360 with the mw 170in place of the mw 160.when driving I like about 20% on the rear deck, seems to be a very good cure to outside noise and road hum. For more critical listening its just the front stage. I do use the head unit in the acura tl type s and its does have all the multi-channel features with the right dvd-a's and dts multi-track disc,s.
xxx_busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #370

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 overtone will become famous soon enoughovertone will become famous soon enoughovertone will become famous soon enoughovertone will become famous soon enoughovertone will become famous soon enoughovertone will become famous soon enough

I like rear speakers, but I do run them a little quieter than my front speakers.
overtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #371

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 zerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enough

Using rear-fill depends greatly on the front set-up or the Car itself. I personally don't use rear-fill because I was able to get the front Speaker positioned properly to fill the car. I done many installs before and some cars just need rear-fill to sound full. Best thing to do is to try it yourself and see what sounds better in your own set-up. Just a thought.

Addzest DRX9255EXL, Alpine 3672, (2) Harman Kardon TC400Q, Dynaudio MD130, Dynaudio MW162GT, Image Dynamics IDQ10d2v3, Streetwires
zerodistortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #372

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 legend921 will become famous soon enoughlegend921 will become famous soon enoughlegend921 will become famous soon enoughlegend921 will become famous soon enoughlegend921 will become famous soon enoughlegend921 will become famous soon enough

Wow, I think I am going to do a rear-fill. If you were to do rear fill, do you recommend to have 2 ways back there or just 1 way? I was thinking about just doing 1 way in the back and make it have the mid-bass or something.
legend921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #373

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 zerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enoughzerodistortion will become famous soon enough

Coaxials are fine for the rear. Do not use components for rear-fill. You are not even suppose to notice its there, so having seperate tweeters will ruin your front stage.

Addzest DRX9255EXL, Alpine 3672, (2) Harman Kardon TC400Q, Dynaudio MD130, Dynaudio MW162GT, Image Dynamics IDQ10d2v3, Streetwires
zerodistortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #374
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 84 I800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the roughI800C0LLECT is a jewel in the rough

Zero...I doubt that really matters.

Read the highlighted...it's most important: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...tml#post826310

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
SOLD--04 Grand Prix: 9887, 346is, R12, Leviathan--http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...e-install.html
I800C0LLECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #375
Upgrade Your Membership!

Create a new enthusiast.

12V Company:
Imagine Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodistortion View Post
Coaxials are fine for the rear. Do not use components for rear-fill. You are not even suppose to notice its there, so having seperate tweeters will ruin your front stage.
How is the tweeter being built into the Speaker better or worse for rear fill?

What is suggested is that if you bandwidth limit your rear fill to midrange/midbass, it will be easier to blend into your front stage, and will be unnoticeable that it's coming from the rear. You would also use time alignment to integrate it into the front stage. The whole idea is that you never even notice the fill is there... which kind of proves that you really don't need anything in the rear.

For those stating "I heard a Car with properly done rear fill, and then it was shut off, and it sounded much better with it"

Of course it did. If you set the Car up to have rear fill to have proper tonality, and you suddenly take that "band-aid" away, of course it would sound better with it turned back on.

I also saw some arguments regarding direct vs. indirect sound. Basically stating that rear fill should simulate reflections from the back wall at a concert. I don't follow this. Your front speakers would still have reflections off your rear windsheild. If anything, you should have mirrored drivers in the front reflecting off the front windsheild ala Dipolar or Omnipolar speakers. Natural sound radiates 360 degrees, speakers do not. If you used a dipole/omnipole design, that would be closer to 360 degree dispersion.

These IMO are the reflections that would matter, the ones in front of you. You naturally hear things better when they come from in front of you, your ears are somewhat directional. This is why you naturally turn to face someone speaking to you (other than politeness).

Maybe this is why one of my favorite car's had dash mounted off axis 6.5" drivers and on axis tweeters. The midbass both provided direct off axis sound, and indirect (reflected) on axis sound. Soundstage was high, and everything sounded real. Voices had depth, and an impressive staging presence.

This same car BTW had no rear fill.