View Poll Results: Do you use rear fill?
Yes 437 41.58%
No 614 58.42%
Voters: 1051. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007   #26

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 98 andthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Rear Fill: do you use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8675309 View Post
I have used rear fill in a large vehicle just to help fill in some of the gap. I usually cross from 3500 down and use some form of attenuation on it. My preference is not to use it at all if I dont have too.

I have a friend that is nuckin futs about rear fill. He thinks you get surround sound with a stereo signal running all speakers. I got him a set of nice comps for his truck and cheap coax for the rear. He put the comps in the rear and the coax's in the front!? He thinks it is the shit. I asked him if he listens to his home or computer speakers turned away from them. His response was I like my sound that way. I want it comming from the back.

What a tard
I guess he's one of those oddballs that likes to go to concerts with his back faced to the stage.

Alpine X305S, Alpine Imprint, JL 500/5, Morel MDT43, Scan 18S/8531 , JL 10w6v2

It's not about the audio equipment, it's about the music!
andthelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #27
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice

[QUOTE=werewolf;101641] a delayed, bandlimited, L-R difference signal? QUOTE]

Do you use this method in your car? What equipment do you use? Most of the time the only place you see this is in large areas.

2009 USACi world champion
2010 USACi world champion
Team TCA
Taking some time to build and having a great time!!
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 144 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Warewolf isn't Sony's Hall sound mode on home theatre equipment essentially a delayed stereo sound for music. I noticed that on hall mode the rear spekers only get turned on (front on just like stereo) and they have a delay effect. It sound like poop imo but maybe other manufacturers have a way arround this.

In car it would be a nighmare to tune it properly even if you had all the right equipment. rear woofers firing at the rear windshield come to mind. I'm guessing you would also have to have a somewhat matched rear stage/front stage. How would I match my 4 way front....ahh

2001 Honda S2000
Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Note 3
Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
MMT 2-way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, dual Scan Speak Revelator 12M, dual Tympany LAT700
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #29
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
Warewolf isn't Sony's Hall sound mode on home theatre equipment essentially a delayed stereo sound for music. I noticed that on hall mode the rear spekers only get turned on (front on just like stereo) and they have a delay effect. It sound like poop imo but maybe other manufacturers have a way arround this.

In car it would be a nighmare to tune it properly even if you had all the right equipment. rear woofers firing at the rear windshield come to mind. I'm guessing you would also have to have a somewhat matched rear stage/front stage. How would I match my 4 way front....ahh
x2 on the hall sound sounding like pooh

Team TCA
Old 03-07-2007   #30

Empty box filler outer

Rep Power: 103 Preacher will become famous soon enoughPreacher will become famous soon enoughPreacher will become famous soon enoughPreacher will become famous soon enoughPreacher will become famous soon enoughPreacher will become famous soon enough

I don't think you'd have to "voice Match" front and rear. in a concert hall the reflections are so different from the initial sound. That's what gives each room its own distinct character. I'd try various cheap small mids -

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind....4944&pid=1902
Several of the Goldwoods come to mind.

I knew a guy who used to use his Boss digital Delay pedal (for guitar) in his car. There are plenty of reasonably priced delays for proaudio/guitar. For some fun you could pick up a dan-electro pedal. Some of these are even 12vdc already. I've often thought of putting in an Alesis Nanoverb.

If you use an amps HP set high and add an inductor or passive line level xover to attenuate the highs I'd think you could throw together a neat toy cheap. Maybe I'll do this while I'm still in a junker.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #31

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 tbreihan will become famous soon enoughtbreihan will become famous soon enoughtbreihan will become famous soon enoughtbreihan will become famous soon enoughtbreihan will become famous soon enoughtbreihan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have used rear fill in a large vehicle just to help fill in some of the gap. I usually cross from 3500 down and use some form of attenuation on it. My preference is not to use it at all if I dont have too.

I have a friend that is nuckin futs about rear fill. He thinks you get surround sound with a stereo signal running all speakers. I got him a set of nice comps for his truck and cheap coax for the rear. He put the comps in the rear and the coax's in the front!? He thinks it is the shit. I asked him if he listens to his home or computer speakers turned away from them. His response was I like my sound that way. I want it comming from the back.

What a tard
Wow... is your friend my brother-in-law?

bmw 325is / alpine cda-9833 / premier ts-c520prs / next vr2.400 / dayton audio rss645hf
tbreihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 chuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enoughchuyler1 will become famous soon enough

Not to further confuse the topic, but would you say that some rear speaker locations are better than others? For example, would you use rearfill in the rear doors vs the rear deck?

PPI DCX-730 / DLS A5+A8 / TBI TWEP51 / DLS Iridium 6 / DLS OA12 / Work Log
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 134 kappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enough

i completely agree that a well executed rear fill makes the apparent stage wider and deeper or simply bigger overall. i'm really confused by L-R difference signal? are you just being fancy for stereo?

i'm glad you explained the precedence effect... i always had that as an idea of what you had to accomplish with TA but it's good to know specifics now

with all that said i dont run rear fill right now because i dont have the processing power. i have considered it for a while because my stage has no real depth from low mounted drivers imo, and i dont think it will improve when i move my full-rangers up to the pillars.

Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism

Last edited by kappa546; 03-07-2007 at 05:41 PM..
kappa546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #34
werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa546 View Post
i completely agree that a well executed rear fill makes the apparent stage wider and deeper or simply bigger overall. i'm really confused by L-R difference signal? are you just being fancy for stereo?

i'm glad you explained the precedence effect... i always had that as an idea of what you had to accomplish with TA but it's good to know specifics now

with all that said i dont run rear fill right now because i dont have the processing power. i have considered it for a while because my stage has no real depth from low mounted drivers imo, and i dont think it will improve when i move my full-rangers up to the pillars.
The "L-R difference" signal is really just that : the algebraic difference between the left and right signals. Sometimes it's called the "ambience" or "surround" component of the original 2-channel source.

Consider a largely mono signal, like voice (in most recordings, certainly not all). A mono signal will have about the same level in the left and right channels ... and will therefore disappear in the difference So immediately we recognize a HUGE difference bewteen standard, L and R rear-fill and a rear-fill signal constructed from the L-R difference : one will have the main vocal in the rear, the other will not Perhaps that alone is a big incentive to resist lumping all rear-fill possibilities together?

Anyway, check the link i posted earlier for more about L-R difference signals, and how to construct and manipulate them without using PL II, Neo:6 or Logic7.
Old 03-07-2007   #35
Upgrade Your Membership!

Seen Rock City

Rep Power: 117 MiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enough

He's not being fancy for stereo. You should read it as an equation:

(L signal)-(Right signal)=Difference Signal

Or to put it another way: The end state signal is the delta between the Left and Right signals.
MiloX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #36
Upgrade Your Membership!

Seen Rock City

Rep Power: 117 MiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enough

Doh... Jeff beat me to it. Sry.
MiloX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #37

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

The only way i can see rear fill implement even half decent in my car.....2dr hatch, scion tC.......would be to run the front stage as is now, but with a small set of full range drivers, TB 3-4"ers come to mind, small, yet put them at 1/3 of the overall front volume. This would add a slight ambience to the car while allowing the frontstage to give all staging cues, etc. That is as long as the rear signal is contoured and eq'd flat as well as the front, to keep the ear from jumping from front to back, dependant on peaks/nulls.

||2005 Scion tC : Alpine IVA-W200 /|\ Alpine H701 \|/ LPG 26na /|\ DIYMA 2" Dome \|/ Adire Extremis 6.4 /|\ DIYMA Ref. 12" \|/ NEXT 4.400, (2) 2.400 /|\ Raammat BXT:Ensolite \|/ KnuKoncepts||

Enjoy your own Private-Universe.org!
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #38
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Itís like this you can process your way to heaven. But if a person stands in front of you and talks to you face to face do you want the echo coming from the rear? When a person plays music in front of you it sounds nice. If they play behind you, you turn around and listen. If you went to a live unplugged show do you have a band in front and a second band in the back playing 20 ms behind? No you donít. I am not saying you cannot achieve a good sound stage with rear fill. But I honestly believe that if you spend the time and money in the front you can achieve the best sound stage in a vehicle. The only time I use rear fill is to fill the rear in a large vehicle mainly for the rear passenger.

Just my opinion and my $.02

Team TCA
Old 03-07-2007   #39

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 92 saintb will become famous soon enoughsaintb will become famous soon enoughsaintb will become famous soon enoughsaintb will become famous soon enoughsaintb will become famous soon enoughsaintb will become famous soon enough

I'm in the minority, but I like a faint amount of rear fill in my car (and home).

When I turn my head to check my blind spots (etc) I don't want the music volume and clarity to drop. I like the sound to feel omnipresent. I'll sacrifice the perfect stage for that feeling.

In my home studio I have my KRK's toe'd in so they have that perfect sweet spot for mixing and mastering, and it sounds fantastic.... In fact I get shivers down my spine with the right material. But, for my home speakers I often set the receiver on multichannel stereo (5.1 sound). This is a dry preset where all the speakers are playing the same material (slight T/A but no effect), and is best for those times when I'm moving about and can't sit still in that sweet spot.

Its all personal, and I don't mind being the devils advocate.
saintb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 154 89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice

I'd be a bigger fan of "rear fill" if most music was recorded that way, but since it isn't. I prefer to listen to it as intended, in 2 channel stereo.

Besides, my biggest concern is tonal accuracy, that rates number #1 with me. All the speakers in the world, whether in front or behind you won't help if your system is inaccurate tonaly.
89grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 123 legend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the roughlegend94 is a jewel in the rough

the only reason i would consider rear fill would be if i had rear seat passengers often.(more than once a week)
and if i did have them, i would most likely use a 6 channel amp. i would use 4 channels for the front stage and 2 for the rear. then i would buy coaxial speakers for the rear passengers.( i would also make sure i could turn off or fade the rear speakers out)
legend94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 144 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Itís like this you can process your way to heaven. But if a person stands in front of you and talks to you face to face do you want the echo coming from the rear? When a person plays music in front of you it sounds nice. If they play behind you, you turn around and listen. If you went to a live unplugged show do you have a band in front and a second band in the back playing 20 ms behind? No you donít. I am not saying you cannot achieve a good sound stage with rear fill. But I honestly believe that if you spend the time and money in the front you can achieve the best sound stage in a vehicle. The only time I use rear fill is to fill the rear in a large vehicle mainly for the rear passenger.

Just my opinion and my $.02
I like it when I can almost feel the artist's spit on my face With staging tweeters and weird background fill I would feel like I'm shopping in the mall to be honest.

I agree it would make for some interesting setups but I could only handle it for a few songs then I would go back to a solid stereo stage. Each with their preferences I guess.

2001 Honda S2000
Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Note 3
Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
MMT 2-way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, dual Scan Speak Revelator 12M, dual Tympany LAT700
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #43

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 123 zfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished road

only for rear seat people or if im watching a movie otherwise they are turned off..

saw this and had to put it here:
you cant polish a turd, but you can always chrome it! -Nasser Abo Abdo, president of audiobahn

--with enough hot glue you can install anything"
zfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #44

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 fenrisx will become famous soon enoughfenrisx will become famous soon enoughfenrisx will become famous soon enoughfenrisx will become famous soon enoughfenrisx will become famous soon enoughfenrisx will become famous soon enough

Can I vote yes and no? I currently have one 5 1/4" coaxial in the rear passenger door, and no speaker in the rear driver side door... Hows that for a good stage.

-soon to be running w/ no rear fill-
fenrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #45
fej

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 105 fej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enough

See sig

Fej

01 z06~Eclipse 8053~PPI dcx-730~Genesis Profile P5~Focal Polykevlar 7"~DLS Iridium 3" dome~a/d/s ps5.2~LPG 25nfa~IDQ 12" d4~Forever in tuning mode

05 Silverado Ext Cab~Eclipse 8053~Alpine PDX 4.150~Pioneer 720prs Mid / Seas Neo Aluminum ~Alpine PDX 1.600~JL 8w7~Installed and tuning

Team SQ Speaker Wire

Friends don't let friends have rear fill
fej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #46

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 101 Fellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enough

I'm gonna nominate myself as having the best rear fill on DIYMA:

Morel Integra 6.5" Coaxials run off a Phoenix Gold MS275

Who can top that?

Fellippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #47
JAG
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 107 JAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellippe View Post
I'm gonna nominate myself as having the best rear fill on DIYMA:

Morel Integra 6.5" Coaxials run off a Phoenix Gold MS275

Who can top that?

I can ..... because I use ZERO rear fill
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #48

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 107 BodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellippe View Post
I'm gonna nominate myself as having the best rear fill on DIYMA: Morel Integra 6.5" Coaxials run off a Phoenix Gold MS275

Who can top that?
Hmmm. DLS R964 running of two channels on Audison LRx 4.1k. And yes, I like rear-fill very faint in the background and delayed to create reverb.

2008 VW GTI 4-Door DSG
BodegaBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 96 Bluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enoughBluto Blutarsky will become famous soon enough

I use a set of Boston 5.4 components controlled with my fader,I like them there however they are NOT prominent.Since I can do a simple on/off comparison with the rear speakers,I have found I like them there, always have, always will, why am I wrong for liking them? Damn me and my "opinions".
Bluto Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007   #50
werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky View Post
I use a set of Boston 5.4 components controlled with my fader,I like them there however they are NOT prominent.Since I can do a simple on/off comparison with the rear speakers,I have found I like them there, always have, always will, why am I wrong for liking them? Damn me and my "opinions".
If you get a chance, delay them beyond the Haas Effect (Precedence Effect, about 15~20 msec), maybe even play with L-R difference ... a whole new world will open up to you, beyond simple (attenuated) rear fill