View Poll Results: Do you use rear fill?
Yes 437 41.58%
No 614 58.42%
Voters: 1051. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008   #101

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mudnubbz will become famous soon enoughmudnubbz will become famous soon enoughmudnubbz will become famous soon enoughmudnubbz will become famous soon enoughmudnubbz will become famous soon enoughmudnubbz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Rear Fill: do you use it?

I have always run rear fill. I have alot invested in my cars audio though. If you run rear fill, you will want to make sure the front is as much or more than your rear fill. Also be careful if you choose to keep the 4ch. to bridge. It may not be bridgable,nor be able to handle the lower ohm load. Most amps will say on them. Good luck!
mudnubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #102

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 andymtx will become famous soon enoughandymtx will become famous soon enoughandymtx will become famous soon enoughandymtx will become famous soon enoughandymtx will become famous soon enoughandymtx will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to andymtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnubbz View Post
I have always run rear fill. I have alot invested in my cars audio though. If you run rear fill, you will want to make sure the front is as much or more than your rear fill. Also be careful if you choose to keep the 4ch. to bridge. It may not be bridgable,nor be able to handle the lower ohm load. Most amps will say on them. Good luck!
You mean bridge the amp and run the rears in series? That is what I did back when I use rear fill. It help to eliminate rear localazation.

Looking for a fresh start.
andymtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #103
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymtx View Post
You mean bridge the amp and run the rears in series? That is what I did back when I use rear fill. It help to eliminate rear localazation.
Yep. Only adding time delay into the mix improves the effect even more.

Ge0

Alpine, Zapco, Scanspeak, Image Dynamics, Critical Mass
Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #104
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 placenta will become famous soon enoughplacenta will become famous soon enoughplacenta will become famous soon enoughplacenta will become famous soon enoughplacenta will become famous soon enoughplacenta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymtx View Post
man thats a killer idea. This would then run rears in mono?

2012 Jeep Wrangler
2011 VW GTI
2009 Nissan Xterra
placenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #105

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 dsg74 will become famous soon enoughdsg74 will become famous soon enoughdsg74 will become famous soon enoughdsg74 will become famous soon enoughdsg74 will become famous soon enoughdsg74 will become famous soon enough

I ran rear fill in a sedan I used to have. I had two 3 inch mids mounted in the center of the rear deck aimed slightly back at the rear glass. Gave them very little power. I liked the effect, but time delay would have helped even more.
dsg74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #106

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 88 lunchmoney will become famous soon enoughlunchmoney will become famous soon enoughlunchmoney will become famous soon enoughlunchmoney will become famous soon enoughlunchmoney will become famous soon enoughlunchmoney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by placenta View Post
correct
lunchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #107
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Whiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by placenta View Post
to my knowledge, the opposite. a bridged amp will sum the input signals. By inverting one signal, the summation will result in an L-R (as in, L + (-R)) signal. This would be run as a bridged output to a rear speaker.

By running the two rear speakers in series, they both get this L-R signal.

Finally, by inverting the right speaker, we invert the signal to get a -(L-R) signal, or an R-L signal.

Thus, by starting with only L and R and a bridgable amp and NO processing, we have rearfill where the left driver receives L-R and the right driver receives R-L
Whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #108
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 88 Hispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enough

I use rears only for surround while watching movies...for music I fade the rears all the way out. I stopped trying to run rear speakers in like
'96 and haven't looked back.
Hispls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #109
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
to my knowledge, the opposite. a bridged amp will sum the input signals. By inverting one signal, the summation will result in an L-R (as in, L + (-R)) signal. This would be run as a bridged output to a rear speaker.

By running the two rear speakers in series, they both get this L-R signal.

Finally, by inverting the right speaker, we invert the signal to get a -(L-R) signal, or an R-L signal.

Thus, by starting with only L and R and a bridgable amp and NO processing, we have rearfill where the left driver receives L-R and the right driver receives R-L

Yep...

Ge0

Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Old 03-13-2008   #110
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispls View Post
I use rears only for surround while watching movies...for music I fade the rears all the way out. I stopped trying to run rear speakers in like
'96 and haven't looked back.
But, what did you try? Conventional means of thinking in this thread will get you nowhere.

Cheap route to better sound through rear fill = L-R with delay.

More expensive route = dedicated 5 to 7 channel upmixing of 2 channel source via some processor.

Ge0

Old 03-13-2008   #111

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 92 noscobra will become famous soon enoughnoscobra will become famous soon enoughnoscobra will become famous soon enoughnoscobra will become famous soon enoughnoscobra will become famous soon enoughnoscobra will become famous soon enough

Rear Fills are awful! Think about it does any home audiophile ever buy extra speakers for their 2 channel stereo listening and put them behind their ear? Nope it never happens! I competed in a half-baked little SQ contest here at a stereo shop in Boise ID. What a joke. At the time I had an Alpine 7949 and a pra-h400 running a 3way active front stage off of a pair of zapco c2k 3.0 amps. Also a single 12 tc sounds 2000 in a sealed enclosure running on a fosgate bd500. No RTAs for this contest just 2 guys listening and scoring subjectively. I got my butt kicked by guys running coaxials on deck power that were sold and installed at this particular store. When I asked what they didn't like about my setup...they commented "you need to turn your rear fills down. There is too much sound coming from the rear." Thats when I told them I wasn't running any rear fills. I think that just about ruined the legitimacy of their stupid SQ contest. SAY NO TO REAR FILLS!
noscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #112
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Whiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enough

On an unrelated note, I never trust anyone who starts their supportive argument with "think about it," or "trust me,". Not anywhere.

They may just be hedging words, but in writing they do say much more than your typical hedge phrase.

Geo, did you get your midranges installed yet all the way through retuning your crossovers, gains, and delays across the whole car yet? I need an established fully tuned car with a 3 way stage and rearfill.
Whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #113
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 88 Hispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
But, what did you try? Conventional means of thinking in this thread will get you nowhere.

Cheap route to better sound through rear fill = L-R with delay.

More expensive route = dedicated 5 to 7 channel upmixing of 2 channel source via some processor.

Ge0
I do suspect that running the right processing equipment would help get a realistic effect. I've just never thrown down on that sort of thing. Also with no access to an RTA adding more sources creates even more peaks and dips that are very difficult to isolate and correct.

Just for me. I have no doubt that with enough effort and processing power it would help. I suspect if I had ever seen/heard it done properly I'd put more effort into experimenting with it.
Hispls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #114
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

If you could afford an amp that could do this
quote:
Left Minus Right / Right Minus Left Ambience Circuit: Ambient effect for rear channels
end quote:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=256

Like the JL Audio 500/5 [original "Slash"series ]
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #115
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 slade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by a$$hole View Post

Like the JL Audio 500/5 [original "Slash"series ]
Too funny... my last install was with the 500/5 and I never hooked up the the rears. I say no to rear fill justified like many with the backup of home audio. True music sets up a front sound stage- rear speakers are for surround sound and movies; no buisness in a car.
slade1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #116

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 97 chijioke penny will become famous soon enoughchijioke penny will become famous soon enoughchijioke penny will become famous soon enoughchijioke penny will become famous soon enoughchijioke penny will become famous soon enoughchijioke penny will become famous soon enough

i have rear fill ....but it's gained down like 12db though .....u know for Ambience ....
chijioke penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #117

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 114 ZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to ZoNtO Send a message via MSN to ZoNtO Send a message via Yahoo to ZoNtO

Well I can't really explain it, and it's probably because my front components aren't amped, but my system right now sounds way better with the 6x9s turned on than when I fade them out.

Running stock deck, Infinity Reference 6.5" comps up front and Infinity Reference 6x9s in the back. It's how the car came, so basically what I did was fade the rears to where they weren't as noticeable but my stage height and imaging is way better that way then if I fade all sound to the front!

When I get a 500/5 I will run them off ambiance circuit and run imprint to see what it does.
ZoNtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #118

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 103 cheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoNtO View Post
Well I can't really explain it, and it's probably because my front components aren't amped, but my system right now sounds way better with the 6x9s turned on than when I fade them out.

Running stock deck, Infinity Reference 6.5" comps up front and Infinity Reference 6x9s in the back. It's how the car came, so basically what I did was fade the rears to where they weren't as noticeable but my stage height and imaging is way better that way then if I fade all sound to the front!

When I get a 500/5 I will run them off ambiance circuit and run imprint to see what it does.
It's what ever sounds best to you that works!

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #119

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 114 ZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enoughZoNtO will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to ZoNtO Send a message via MSN to ZoNtO Send a message via Yahoo to ZoNtO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
It's what ever sounds best to you that works!
Yeah seriously! I'm coming from my last car which had no rear fill to this now! I felt dirty at first, but then realized it's the overall sound that's better. I really think that my stock deck is just crapping out, there's no dynamics and when I turn up the volume sometimes it turns it down instead. It's like the internal amp is crying in pain!

Anywho, back on topic: I tried to explain this to a friend once about rear fill but he said he likes equal sound all around!
Old 03-26-2008   #120

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 93 calponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enoughcalponte will become famous soon enough

Just a general statement.

But why do so many people chime in that havent tried rear-fill with the necessary components nor experience keep chiming in with ' there's no way...does a concert have rear fill ...all rear-fill people are loopy'

Fact is...you havent ever done a proper rear-fill experiment. So how do your comments hold any water in this discussion?

Not bashin. But gee...think outside the box for a second folks. There's some very intelligent people here telling you it can and will work. And yet you defend it with ' my Hello Kitty boombox doesnt use it ...so there's no way it should be considered '

W205/80Gig iPod/ BlackBird/H701/two PDX 4.150's/Tru SH-1/MLK-165/ADS 6.5's (rear fill)/DD 1008's (Midbass-Rear Deck)/DD 9917
calponte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #121

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 103 cheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by calponte View Post
Just a general statement.

But why do so many people chime in that havent tried rear-fill with the necessary components nor experience keep chiming in with ' there's no way...does a concert have rear fill ...all rear-fill people are loopy'

Fact is...you havent ever done a proper rear-fill experiment. So how do your comments hold any water in this discussion?

Not bashin. But gee...think outside the box for a second folks. There's some very intelligent people here telling you it can and will work. And yet you defend it with ' my Hello Kitty boombox doesnt use it ...so there's no way it should be considered '

Well put!

Once again car audio means a lot of different things to us all. We are all expecting SOMETHING that is different from everybody else's systems. I like to keep my install simple and easily transferable from different vehicles. So this really limits me in my installation options. Does everyone have this need? Of course not. So YOU need to find what is that something that puts a on your face! It's different for everyone!

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #122
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
On an unrelated note, I never trust anyone who starts their supportive argument with "think about it," or "trust me,". Not anywhere.

They may just be hedging words, but in writing they do say much more than your typical hedge phrase.

Geo, did you get your midranges installed yet all the way through retuning your crossovers, gains, and delays across the whole car yet? I need an established fully tuned car with a 3 way stage and rearfill.
Still fidgiting with gains, phase, and time. Sounds pretty good but something minor just isn't right. The three way sounds better tonally, but the two way front had it slightly beat elsewhere for now. I am confident I will solve this one. I've only had a few lunch hours to work on it.

ge0

Old 03-28-2008   #123

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 jmeece1 will become famous soon enoughjmeece1 will become famous soon enoughjmeece1 will become famous soon enoughjmeece1 will become famous soon enoughjmeece1 will become famous soon enoughjmeece1 will become famous soon enough

IM A HARD CORE 3CH FAN. NO REAR FILL EVER. WHY DO YOU THINK EVERY MAJOR WINING CAR IS SET UP THAT WAY. WHAT ABOUT DESTRUCTIVE INTERFEARANCE (YOUR BACK SPEAKERS AND FRONT WILL NEVER DO THE SAME THING AT THE SAME TIME) IM A RETAILER AND TELL CUSTOMERS WHY SPEND 200 ON FRONT SPEAKERS AND 200 ON REAR AND THROUGH A FOUR CHANNEL AT 75x4 ON THEM AND HAVE HO-HUM SOUND. IF YOU SPENT 400 ON THE FRONT AND BRIDGED THAT AMP AT 150X2 IT WILL SOUND AWSOME . JEFF MEECE MECP TOP 100 INSTALLER
jmeece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #124

DIYMA Novice

I don't get why you needed to yell that...
Old 03-29-2008   #125
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 884 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeece1 View Post
IM A HARD CORE 3CH FAN. NO REAR FILL EVER. WHY DO YOU THINK EVERY MAJOR WINING CAR IS SET UP THAT WAY. WHAT ABOUT DESTRUCTIVE INTERFEARANCE (YOUR BACK SPEAKERS AND FRONT WILL NEVER DO THE SAME THING AT THE SAME TIME) IM A RETAILER AND TELL CUSTOMERS WHY SPEND 200 ON FRONT SPEAKERS AND 200 ON REAR AND THROUGH A FOUR CHANNEL AT 75x4 ON THEM AND HAVE HO-HUM SOUND. IF YOU SPENT 400 ON THE FRONT AND BRIDGED THAT AMP AT 150X2 IT WILL SOUND AWSOME . JEFF MEECE MECP TOP 100 INSTALLER
chad is offline   Reply With Quote