View Poll Results: Do you use rear fill?
Yes 437 41.58%
No 614 58.42%
Voters: 1051. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 z_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enough

Post Rear Fill: do you use it?

Is rear fill the dogs bollocks or completely unnescessary?

Thinking of selling my 4ch amp for a 2channel because i'm upgrading my front stage (bye bye rears?).
z_accoustics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #2

Banned

Rep Power: 0 bobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Rear Fill: do you use it?

keep the 4channel and bridge it to the fronts or run full active
bobditts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 126 Luke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant futureLuke352 has a brilliant future

Whats rear fill, LOL so thats a no for me.
Luke352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #4

Banned

Rep Power: 0 bobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enough

if I had the money, i would love to try and tackle the issue. I dont have the control or processing Power to get the desired results with rear fill. im really interested to see (if it ever happens) the tear down of Mr. Biggs vehicle and see how his rear fill setup was accomplished.
Old 03-07-2007   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 105 andthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enoughandthelam will become famous soon enough

If you feel the need to entertain rear passengers its a consideration but even so Id turn it down until it was barely audible if cruising solo. For the most part rear fill will just pull your soundstage backwards and I like to hear music and even "see" it coming from out in front of me.

Alpine X305S, Alpine Imprint, JL 500/5, Morel MDT43, Scan 18S/8531 , JL 10w6v2

It's not about the audio equipment, it's about the music!
andthelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #6

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthelam View Post
If you feel the need to entertain rear passengers its a consideration but even so Id turn it down until it was barely audible if cruising solo. For the most part rear fill will just pull your soundstage backwards and I like to hear music and even "see" it coming from out in front of me.

this is commonly the case. there is a way to actually boost your soundstage with rear fill when its properly dialed in. This is that certain something I was referring to in my last post that I would love to try and accomplish If I had the money.
Old 03-07-2007   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 ahboy will become famous soon enoughahboy will become famous soon enoughahboy will become famous soon enoughahboy will become famous soon enoughahboy will become famous soon enoughahboy will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to ahboy

nope i dun use rearfills. If u r going to invest on rearfills, why not used all those money to top up for ur front speakers.

Alpine7990, TRU Tech F2, Seas Lotus Reference RT25A / CY17E001 - TRU Tech C7.4T, SLR SW300 - Orion XTR 9002
ahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Whiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enough

do subwoofers count as rear-fill?
Whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #9

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
do subwoofers count as rear-fill?
Wouldn't even using a low xover point low slope filter some ambient sounds through allowing an almost lowend vocal ambience or reflective sound (more spacious voice). Theoretically if you can keep it non localizable and blended well with midbasses.
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #10

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Ron G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enough

Yes, I use it. I've tried it with and without. I much prefer it with. The use of rear fill will always be personal preference as nobody can tell anyone else what sounds good to them.
Ron G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 160 89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice

If you have a system with a good front stage and decent dynamics, you'll never miss rear speakers at all. In fact the other day I was playing my system for someone that doesn't know much about audio and he asked if there where speakers in the rear, I said no, and he almost couldn't believe all the sound was just 5 speakers, 4 up front and one sub.

If your system sounds decent, you're not missing anything without rear speakers. My "rear fill" is what ever natural reverberations that take place in the car.
89grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #12
werewolf

"rear fill" encompasses many possibilities :

- simple, attenuated L and R
- delayed (beyond Precedence, or Haas, Effect), attenuated, bandlimited L and R
- delayed, attenuated, bandlimited difference signal, L-R

there's a world of difference between these options. Some will confuse the front stage, others will enhance the front stage.
Old 03-07-2007   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Old Schooler

Rep Power: 123 Mr Marv will become famous soon enoughMr Marv will become famous soon enoughMr Marv will become famous soon enoughMr Marv will become famous soon enoughMr Marv will become famous soon enoughMr Marv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
"rear fill" encompasses many possibilities :

- simple, attenuated L and R
- delayed (beyond Precedence, or Haas, Effect), attenuated, bandlimited L and R
- delayed, attenuated, bandlimited difference signal, L-R

there's a world of difference between these options. Some will confuse the front stage, others will enhance the front stage.
From what I understand one option will raise your stage and as soon as I feel better I'm gonna expereriment with it myself .

Marv's Place 1-831-383-0308
Custom Built Enclosures/Speaker Adapters/Amp Racks etc (High Grade Birch also available)
Authorized Hybrid Audio Dealer
PICS HERE
Mr Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice

I have used rear fill in a large vehicle just to help fill in some of the gap. I usually cross from 3500 down and use some form of attenuation on it. My preference is not to use it at all if I dont have too.

I have a friend that is nuckin futs about rear fill. He thinks you get surround sound with a stereo signal running all speakers. I got him a set of nice comps for his truck and cheap coax for the rear. He put the comps in the rear and the coax's in the front!? He thinks it is the shit. I asked him if he listens to his home or computer speakers turned away from them. His response was I like my sound that way. I want it comming from the back.

What a tard

2009 USACi world champion
2010 USACi world champion
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #15
werewolf

Your friend isn't the only one who thinks you can get surround from a 2-channel signal

Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS neo:6, Harman Logic7 come to mind ...

Sure, they have more sophisticated steering algorithms ... but have you heard a well-tuned system using a delayed, bandlimited L-R difference signal sent to the rears?
Old 03-07-2007   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Thor Industries
Position:
Lightning bolt delivery

Rep Power: 133 mvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mvw2 Send a message via MSN to mvw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobditts View Post
keep the 4channel and bridge it to the fronts or run full active
Ditto.

No lawn darts in the fairway! This is a golf course damn it!
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 z_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enoughz_accoustics will become famous soon enough

Quote:
but have you heard a well-tuned system using a delayed, bandlimited L-R difference signal sent to the rears?
That's a negative over here... so time delay the rears somewhere behind the front stage, cross them over some place and L-R difference? I have a guess but not so sure about what that entails.
z_accoustics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #18
JAG
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 113 JAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enough

As Scooby Doo would say ..... " Absorutely Rot " !!!!

In a concert hall .... ambient sound will reflect off the rear wall ...
In a Car ..... ambient sound will reflect off the rear glass ...

Both of these scenarios create natural ambience .... No rear fill is needed.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 122 DonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DonutHands

i have the extra amp and i may just hook it up to the stock rear speakers to satisfy passangers.
DonutHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 151 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

I use rear fill only when passangers are in the back.

I don't see any use for it. Every possible scenario entails more drawbacks than anything. A good solid front stage can only be ruined by a rear stage. Yes you may lift the stage but the depth and staging in general will be ruined.

I was thinking if I ever get my dreamcar I will replace the rear speakers with small subs to help midbass-subbass transition. Only real use if passanger satisfaction is of no concern IMO.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07 on pre-order tentative system:
Head: H800 + Iphone 6 plus
Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
4.1 channel surround sound
Subs: dual Tympany LAT700
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #21
werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVI View Post
As Scooby Doo would say ..... " Absorutely Rot " !!!!

In a concert hall .... ambient sound will reflect off the rear wall ...
In a Car ..... ambient sound will reflect off the rear glass ...

Both of these scenarios create natural ambience .... No rear fill is needed.
Big difference between a concert hall and car: size of the acoustic space!

And it's NOT just a relative difference ... there's a real, tangible threshold involved, as defined by the Haas Effect. In a car, there's a real good chance that the natural reflections will not exceed the precedence effect (about 20msec, if memory serves) ... meaning that natural reflections will only tend to smear and confuse the front stage. In a concert hall, there's a real good chance that the natural reflections will exceed the precedence threshold.

So if you delay the rear fill by ~20msec or slightly more, you can create an apparent acoustic space that is much larger ... without confusing or ruining the front stage. This is a good thing Yes, we face the orchestra in a concert hall ... a classic argument against dumb rear fill ... but we also sense that the concert hall is bigger than about 25 cubic feet ... a very good argument in favor of smart rear fill

How to best accomplish it, is perhaps a discussion for another thread. You need a processor with time alignment, and the ability to bandlimit the rears. The difference signal can be formed either actively before the amp (trivial with balanced signals, not even hard with transformers and single-ended signals), or speaker-level after the amp (the classic Hafler matrix was the old, dumb example ... with no time delay, and even only crude attenuation and bandlimiting). But here's an interesting link for further reading:

http://www.mlssa.com/surround/surround3.htm

Of course, you may want to consider the options mentioned above ... Dolby Pro Logic II (invented by Fosgate with an automotive acoustic space in mind), DTS Neo:6, and the new Harman Logic7 processor for the Car (which, by the way, is starting to get some very encouraging reviews). All of these options create a multi-channel signal from a 2-channel source, and make very intelligent use of speakers behind your head

I guess my main point is this : all "rear-fill" is not created equal It's important to distinguish what type, before we summarily embrace or dismiss the entire category.

Last edited by werewolf; 03-07-2007 at 03:07 PM..
Old 03-07-2007   #22
JAG
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 113 JAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enoughJAG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Big difference between a concert hall and car: size of the acoustic space!

And it's NOT just a relative difference ... there's a real, tangible threshold involved, as defined by the Haas Effect. In a car, there's a real good chance that the natural reflections will not exceed the precedence effect (about 20msec, if memory serves) ... meaning that natural reflections will only tend to smear and confuse the front stage. In a concert hall, there's a real good chance that the natural reflections will exceed the precedence threshold.

So if you delay the rear fill by ~20msec or slightly more, you can create an apparent acoustic space that is much larger ... without confusing or ruining the front stage. This is a good thing Yes, we face the orchestra in a concert hall ... a classic argument against dumb rear fill ... but we also sense that the concert hall is bigger than about 25 cubic feet ... a very good argument in favor of smart rear fill

How to best accomplish it, is perhaps a discussion for another thread. You need a processor with time alignment, and the ability to bandlimit the rears. The difference signal can be formed either actively before the amp (trivial with balanced signals, not even hard with transformers and single-ended signals), or speaker-level after the amp (the classic Hafler matrix was the old, dumb example ... with no time delay, and even only crude attenuation and bandlimiting). But here's an interesting link for further reading:

http://www.mlssa.com/surround/surround3.htm

Of course, you may want to consider the options mentioned above ... Dolby Pro Logic II (invented by Fosgate with an automotive acoustic space in mind), DTS Neo:6, and the new Harman Logic7 processor for the Car (which, by the way, is starting to get some very encouraging reviews). All of these options create a multi-channel signal from a 2-channel source, and make very intelligent use of speakers behind your head

I guess my main point is this : all "rear-fill" is not created equal It's important to distinguish what type, before we summarily embrace or dismiss the entire category.
Very good info .... However the majority will mess up the front-stage , before ever getting the perfect rear stage set-up .... Then again , this is the DIY tweakers forum
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice

Quote:
Your friend isn't the only one who thinks you can get surround from a 2-channel signal

Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS neo:6, Harman Logic7 come to mind ...

Sure, they have more sophisticated steering algorithms ... but have you heard a well-tuned system using a delayed, bandlimited L-R difference signal sent to the rears?

Harman 7 home reciever Got one in the house

Sure, they have more sophisticated steering algorithms. Exactly!

They are not running strait stereo?.

2009 USACi world champion
2010 USACi world champion
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #24
werewolf

Ahh but the important question is : how different is the Harman rear signal generation from : a delayed, bandlimited, L-R difference signal? (which does not require Logic7 to construct)
Old 03-07-2007   #25
werewolf

And also : If a Logic7 processor was available for your Car (hint), would you reconsider the use of rear speakers?