What the f#@k?! My JBL Power 6.5" came apart! Too much power or fluke? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 nosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enough

Default What the f#@k?! My JBL Power 6.5" came apart! Too much power or fluke?

I was driving this evening and noticed that one of my JBL P660C 6.5" woofers was making some fairly unpleasant sounding noises... I've blown plenty of speakers, it wasn't blown, it was a strange sort of buzzing/vibrating that I hadn't heard before, plus it still played relatively normally at lower volumes. It was the first time I'd been in the car for a few days, so I hadn't noticed it until tonight. I got it home and tore the door apart to discover this:

I was STUNNED! The cone is separated from the surround a good 80% of the way around; its almost completely separated. These speakers were fantastic (barring current events, of course), they sounded great, I couldn't say too many good things about them (even my fiance raved about 'em, she even let me put one of the small orange rectangle JBL decals that came with the gear on the rear window).

The only things I can attribute this damage to is a defective speaker, or overpowering... I'm running more power than the specified 90W RMS rating, between 125-140W, but there was no other indications that there was anything wrong, they played loud and CLEAR, no bottoming out and the gains were set using a -5dB sine wave, so its virtually impossible to send a clipped signal using music. The installation was very clean and very solid, there is no possibility that a foreign object of any sort made physical contact with the woofer. I've always "overpowered" speakers, most even moreso than what I'm using here. I yanked it out in the driveway at 11:00PM in the dark, so needless to say I only pulled the one side, I can't say if the other side is OK or not (it sounds totally fine, though).

Any ideas what the problem could be? Is it just a factory dud, or is it more likely that I screwed something up?

This SERIOUSLY sucks.

-jason.

2001 Lincoln LS (His) → Clarion, JBL, Vifa, FaitalPRO, Silver Flute, Alumapro, RAAMaudio
2010 Corolla S (Hers) → Clarion, Rockford Fosgate, Image Dynamics, JBL, Dynamat

Last edited by nosaj122081; 06-15-2012 at 11:32 PM..
nosaj122081 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 The Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: What the f#@k?! My JBL Power 6.5" came apart! Too much power or fluke?

Unlucky, never really see this type of damage to speakers-and have worked in the trade for 13+years!

Could the surround have been hitting the door card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
Regardless, I agree with Baron

The Baron Groog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 The Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: What the f#@k?! My JBL Power 6.5" came apart! Too much power or fluke?

Double post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
Regardless, I agree with Baron

The Baron Groog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly didnt happen from 140 clean watts! That I can promise you! I have run over double to those! Dont go play the lottery! Just shitty luck! How long have you had them? Still under warranty? I would call JBL anyway.... sometimes they like to take a look that things like this in case.

Sorry it happened. I have never had a JBL failure and I have owned countless products for almost two decades?
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

I say 100% factory dud, reglue it and it shall be good as new
Coral_PRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 81 cruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enough

I agree with coral, looks like the glue just didnt cure right. I would just call up JBL, odds are for somthin like that it will be a no hassle replacement. You could always reglue the surround if that is your thing as well.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

OP

Rep Power: 147 goodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enough

Don't know what happened to the speaker but I suggest you take the jbl sticker down unless you want to be robbed.

Your boom box better form a union,
cause I leave your circuits overworked.
goodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Napoleon of DIYMA

Rep Power: 120 basshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura about

Manufacturer defect or surround been exposed to some kind of chemical making it weak.

From what I see the surround didn't just unglued but rip apart so DIY quality repair is almost impossible

2012 IASCA SBN SQi Champion "Pro/Am"
2011 IASCA North American Runner-Up and SQi Champion "Pro/AM"
2011 IASCA Canadian Champion "Pro/Am"
2010 IASCA North American Champion "Rookie"
basshead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 81 cruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enoughcruzinbill will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead View Post
Manufacturer defect or surround been exposed to some kind of chemical making it weak.

From what I see the surround didn't just unglued but rip apart so DIY quality repair is almost impossible
it doesnt look ripped to me just looks seperated. the one spot could either be the surround dipped in or ripped tho.. so you may be right
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 nosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enoughnosaj122081 will become famous soon enough

Hey guys,
Yeah, seems like just a fluke... I have SHIT for luck! I double-checked the door panel and the mounting location, there is definitely NO possibility of any contact. The speaker can't be repaired, like some of you noticed, the surround itself tore, it didn't just separate from the cone (I wish), there's no way I could make a legitimate repair. They've only been in-action for a month or 2, and they've always received good, clean power.

I've always had really good luck with JBL gear, this was a real surprise. Hopefully I can get it taken care of tomorrow, the car is completely torn apart (again). I've already sent a message to the vendor I got 'em from, and I'm gonna get in touch with JBL (although for as much as I like their products, I've never had much luck with their customer service). It's a real shame, they sounded GREAT! I just hope I can get it straightened out in a reasonable amount of time without too much a financial kick-in-the-ass... I was just getting ready to order a mess o' drivers from PE to make new home theater speakers, if for some reason I can't get a warranty replacement I'm SOL.

2001 Lincoln LS (His) → Clarion, JBL, Vifa, FaitalPRO, Silver Flute, Alumapro, RAAMaudio

Last edited by nosaj122081; 06-17-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Old 06-17-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 165 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

125-140w of clean power, yes, but what highpass were you running? My 6.5s have nearly 1" total excursion with 150w available and a 70hz/24db highpass. No issues but it's the reason I'm upgrading to 10s. That outer edge of the cone looks like it would cut into the surround if there was too much excursion. Since it wasn't a glue issue, what else could it be? Even though I've never had a failure, I suspect all it would take is a tiny tear and the rest of the surround would follow but how else to you get such a perfect cut right around the outer diameter?

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

I ran 200 a piece to each mid for well over a year and they are in better shape than yours, heres hoping you get some sort of replacement

Kenwood DNX5120 - MS8 - 2 x PPI Art Ax400 - JBL GTO 1200.1ii - Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020 - Morel CAW938's - 2 x JBL P1222
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 111 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

I'd be interested in the crossover point as well. If the surround ripped, I'd be more concerned about the excursion like BuickGN said. You have the JBL EQ with lots of gain on some of the lower octaves?

do you have more pics? i can't tell from the pics but the lighting on the cone looks a little weird. Is the cone consistently smooth all around?

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 165 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Swept View Post
I ran 200 a piece to each mid for well over a year and they are in better shape than yours, heres hoping you get some sort of replacement
Again, I would think the highpass filter would be as important or more important than the 200w. Are you sure you were getting a full 200w from to the speakers? That's why I say I have 150w available because I have no idea how much they're actually seeing.

Edit: I wrote this 30 minutes ago, took a shower and forgot to send it so sorry if it's redundant now.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 06-17-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 130 spl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the highpass isn't set high enough. Over excursion and rip. I've had it happen before.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
spl152db is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 288 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj122081 View Post
I was driving this evening and noticed that one of my JBL P660C 6.5" woofers was making some fairly unpleasant sounding noises... I've blown plenty of speakers, it wasn't blown, it was a strange sort of buzzing/vibrating that I hadn't heard before, plus it still played relatively normally at lower volumes. It was the first time I'd been in the car for a few days, so I hadn't noticed it until tonight. I got it home and tore the door apart to discover this:

-jason.

So, you've blown plenty of speakers and this comes as a huge suprise?

I've blown 2 speakers in my 15+yrs of doing this... (one 12" @twice rated RMS and one 6.5" again at almost twice rated RMS)

I've never seen a speaker come apart like that, no, but if you where "Flogging Molly" I don't see it as being a stretch..

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012   #17

DIYMA freshman

The cone is in perfect condition, it's a lighting goof; the material is sort of sheen and translucent, what looks like waves is a combination of reflection and being able to slightly see the basket thru the cone (plus I'm pushing a little bit down on the cone in the pic, otherwise the tear in the surround is so perfect it's near invisible)...

The crossover is 12dB/octave and is set at 80Hz, verified with test tones, so I'm not trying to get crazy bass out of them; they played an 80Hz tone CLEAN. I also actually have quite a bit of midbass dialed out using the EQ, the handful of bands between 90Hz and 360Hz are attenuated as the car had a frequency hump in that range.

Last edited by nosaj122081; 06-18-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Old 06-19-2012   #18

DIYMA freshman

Another update:
The driver's side woofer is totally fine, perfect condition with no evidence that this is happening to it, either. That really leads me to think it is a defect, my crossovers are all passive, so there is no time alignment or anything that would change the signal being sent to one side and not the other.

Still waiting on a resolution, though...

Old 06-19-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

If they are level matched for the driver's seat, wouldn't the passenger side be getting a little more power?

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 06-19-2012   #20

DIYMA freshman

No, there is no bias towards the driver's seat, passenger seat SQ and staging is nearly as important as the driver's seat, both sides play at the same level with the same equalization. The actually are no differences in the signal between the driver's side and the passenger side.

The dealer I bought it from gave me an RA number just now, I'm headed out to the post office, hopefully they replace it and don't give me any grief, they're a non-authorized retailer. I really just failed to pay it any attention at the time of purchase, just saw that it had a 1 year warranty and assumed it was thru JBL honestly, I try to avoid unauthorized retailers because my luck does ABSOLUTELY suck, I have the WORST luck on the planet, so if the dealer doesn't help I doubt JBL will be very sympathetic.

Last edited by nosaj122081; 06-19-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Old 06-19-2012   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 111 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
No, there is no bias towards the driver's seat, passenger seat SQ and staging is nearly as important as the driver's seat, both sides play at the same level with the same equalization. The actually are no differences in the signal between the driver's side and the passenger side.

The dealer I bought it from gave me an RA number just now, I'm headed out to the post office, hopefully they replace it and don't give me any grief, they're a non-authorized retailer. I really just failed to pay it any attention at the time of purchase, just saw that it had a 1 year warranty and assumed it was thru JBL honestly, I try to avoid unauthorized retailers because my luck does ABSOLUTELY suck, I have the WORST luck on the planet, so if the dealer doesn't help I doubt JBL will be very sympathetic.
yeah, especially since Andy W. reads the forum and you have pictures. lol.

but, good luck. many manufactures take care of you anyway.

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012   #22

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaudioacc View Post
yeah, especially since Andy W. reads the forum and you have pictures. lol.

but, good luck. many manufactures take care of you anyway.
Thanks, we'll see how everything goes, I shipped it off today, so it should be back to the retailer by Friday. Dunno really how their warranty process works, they gave me the OK to just send the one band woofer (thankfully, REALLY didn't want to tear the rest out), their generic response said they test in house and then send out to the manufacturer for repairs; well, there's nothing to test and there's likely no repairing this.

Who knows... Hopefully everything gets straight. If the retailer is a pain in the ass about it for whatever reason, I'll probably throw myself at the mercy of JBL and do some begging and pleading.

Old 06-19-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 513 envisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond repute

That is surround failure. Over-excursion can cause it - but since the other channel is fine, I'd call faulty manufacturing.
envisionelec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012   #24

DIYMA freshman

Just an update for anyone that was interested, the dealer I bought them from had their technicians "inspect" it; they called it a defect and are replacing it with a new unit, didn't even have to argue...

Old 06-28-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just an update for anyone that was interested, the dealer I bought them from had their technicians "inspect" it; they called it a defect and are replacing it with a new unit, didn't even have to argue...
Excellent! Glad to hear it! Sounds right!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement