DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

DSPower! Behringer Power Supply Retrofit - Preorder Available

37K views 170 replies 44 participants last post by  nihilus 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
***as a courtesy I've stickied this thread, but that does not mean I endorse no guarantee this product in any manner

-Npdang

Hi Guys (and probably Gals),

After several months of delays, I am announcing that the DSPower! supply from Envision Electronics is ready for preorder. I am manufacturing the first 40 by hand due to upstart expenses being a bit costly to support right away. After all, I'm not a big company and my current resources are limited. I expect to be shipping the first orders by Sept 14th.

The introductory cost is $119 (normally $139) including free shipping to the CONUS. My site is being completed for this sale, and will be online by the end of the week. I just need to get a headcount of those immediately interested and ready to purchase.

Please send your inquiry, along with any questions to:

envisionelec_at_woh.rr.com

I will return your email with information regarding your order and how to place the order. I will also send you the link to the new webpage www.envisionelec.net when it is "online".

As WhiteRabbit (Steve) has posted in the original DCX Mods thread, the units perform noise-free and reliably. I sent Steve a pair of the supplies back in June to use at Marv's BBQ and for general beta testing. Although Steve's setup is highly unusual, with the 'guts' of the Behringer processors strewn about the interior of his trunk and passenger compartment, Steve reports excellent performance of the DSPower. He can't say so much for his unshielded ribbon extenders, however. :rolleyes: Preliminary pictures of the unit are available at these links. These are mere prototypes of the final unit, although appearance and performance are similar.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/envisionelec/DCX2496001.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/envisionelec/DCX2496002.jpg

Needless to say, I am very happy with the engineered performance of these supplies. They emit very low levels of EMI, relegated to 2MHz. You can place a portable radio within 6" of an unenclosed DSPower and be able to pick up any AM or FM station without added noise or interference.

Let me go over some of the features of this power supply which is designed to directly replace the AC input section of the Behringer DCX/DEQ2496:

1. True Plug and Play Operation. The installation takes less than 15 minutes to perform. The supply fits the OEM chassis frame and includes a terminal block for 12V attachment. No drilling holes. No cutting wires. Installation is 100% reversible.

2. OEM JST jumper connector. I went to great pains to buy the original design connector for this power supply. It is a 75mm long JST PH-terminated connector with a board-in and wire-to-board connector. Simply put, the supply will plug in just as easily as the OEM power supply.

3. Low Noise, slow risetime switching operation. Fast-switching edges produce the most high frequency noise into a conductor, whether a wire or the air. I've developed the supply and magentics (transformer) to give a trapezoidal waveform that slowly switches on and off to significantly reduce emitted noise (EMI) from the supply. This waveshape combines the efficiency of a square wave with the low-noise performance of a sine wave.

4. Fully Isolated Input-to-Output 100% isolation means that there is no chance of introducing ground loops using the DSPower! Supply.

5. Oversized MosFETs. The dual IRLR014N FETs in this design are oversized by a factor of 300%. You can short the outputs all day and nothing will blow up (although it might get hot). The supply is fully protected against reverse voltage, thermal overload and short circuit. A 3A onboard fuse handles extreme overcurrent situations and provides a measure of safety.

6. Double Sided, Blue Soldermask, Gold Plated PCB. It's PRETTY. :D

7. Diagnostic Green LEDs give immediate visual indication that any of the 5 output voltages are functional. They are not blinding, however, and will not leak light outside the chassis.

8. Mixed SMD and Through Hole design. Maximizes longevity and reliability. Surface Mount (SMD) filter capacitors require additional mechanical fixing (blobs of glue) and are subject to capacity loss during the soldering process. Therefore, the filter capacitors, inductors, transformer and terminal connectors are all through hole mount.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Envision Electronics is based in Dayton, OH and has been in business since 2001. Envision started as a contract manufacturing consulting firm and continued into the audio hobbyist kit market with the introduction of the Point Zero Servo Compensated LM3886 Amplifier under the trade name EZAmps.com located at www.ezamps.com. Today, Envision Electronics continues to lead the kit industry with the first viable ICE (in-car entertainment) solution to cleanly interfacing the powerful, versatile Behringer Professional Audio Products DCX and DEQ devices with the DSPower! power supply conversion kit.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm glad you posted this. A local buddy needs a processor and I was exploring that behringer thats in the forsale forum right now as a solution, but I hadn't heard from you in awhile!

The supply is worth more than the $140 price tag.

Especially for the DCX2496 the supply promotes extremely robust operation, highly stable. And it's literally a 5 minute modification and the processor is up and running.

Aaron forgot to mention another design feature: No turn on or turn off pops. Designed into the supply so you dont have to worry about it.

#5 ·
I couldn't say it any better.

Behringer DCX2496 ~$250.00

Power Supply mod ~$140.00

$400.00 for a processor that absolutely ROCKS is amazing.

I won't need one for quite a while, but if you have a hard time getting 40 buyers in a timely manner hit me up, and I'll take one. It would be quite a ways down the road before I used it, so I would prefer that people that would use it in the near future have first dibs.

I can't imagine you'd have a hard time selling these. :D

#15 ·
send me a PM if youve got some configuration questions about the dcx, I could talk about that all day.

short answer is it'll work just fine.

Kenny, no problems running unbalenced. That is the configuration I run right now. search for xlr-rca conversion and youll find which pins to short. I believe 1 and 3?

#13 ·
Ez, could you please completely dumb this down for the newbies that might want to buy and use this product. :)

So I take the power supply out of the Behringer unit, and swap it for yours?

In order to use the DCX, do I need to use a head unit that has balanced outputs?

Thanks!

#16 ·
Drop in replacement. You need to remove the actual circuit board that the Behringer supply uses and drop this one in its place. This is very simple using the supplied directions.

No, you do not need any special headunit. This is the beauty of such a design. I run a plain-Jane Kenwood in my wife's car with 4V outputs and I receive excellent results. The only limiting factor is - well, there is NONE.

#22 · (Edited)
no noise.

What I would most like someone to try is for someone to add a DEQ2496 to their existing processor system.

Say, someone has an H701 and is running optical from the alpine radio, no C701. (or heck, add a c701 makes no difference.)

I would like someone to experiment adding a DEQ2496 in line and testing the features out. Most notably the width adjustments and the 61 band RTA.

its nice that the DEQ2496 has optical inputs and outputs...

...or could even simultaneously pass 15-30 ms delayed balenced outputs leaving the optical output untouched going to the H701...

-----------------------------------------

Something key to say is that the behringer units are broken down into individual PCA's when assembled. Thus, the power supply for the DCX or DEQ is simply labeled PSU2496, rather than being a smaller part of a greater product. Thus, ANY behringer equipment that contains the PSU2496 inside should work plug and play converted. Noone should be limited to JUST the dcx2496 or deq2496.

#24 ·
If I were to do a supply for "X" product, I wouldn't feel right making a "universal" replacement. It wouldn't work properly, wouldn't fit properly and wouldn't give you the best overall experience.
If you feel the Rane is a widely used system, or want to pay me $5k to build one just for you ;) then I'll consider it.

#29 ·
yeah, made them myself. XLR's are WAY easier to solder than RCA heads, and XLR's are just as easily available if not even more easy to find. Supposedly shorting the two hots is a "pro audio" configuration and doubles present noise, but I had no problems running this way. Supposed to be 6 dB up anyways.

might not have made them myself had I seen that website linked in the thread about finding pretty wire. The guy linked to a surplus store that is selling XLR-RCA converters for something like a buck fifty a pop. cant beat that!

#32 ·
few questions now im curious lol

1) sooo what are the dimensions of the 2496??

2) and I remember whiterabbit had this beast of a controller to do changes in the front seat

what is the name of that unit?

3) is optical inherently more "silent" on the input side versus the xlr imputs?

4) does the behringer take a single input to to send a signal to the outputs? or do you need all three inputs

5) and im confused I know the behringher has 6 xlr output connectors are those L/R per pair, or does EACH output provide a single L/R signal?

sorry for all the question but the manual is kinda simple

#36 ·
1) sooo what are the dimensions of the 2496??
2) and I remember whiterabbit had this beast of a controller to do changes in the front seat
3) is optical inherently more "silent" on the input side versus the xlr imputs?
4) does the behringer take a single input to to send a signal to the outputs? or do you need all three inputs
5) and im confused I know the behringher has 6 xlr output connectors are those L/R per pair, or does EACH output provide a single L/R signal?
1) its a 1U rackmount piece. Whether its the dcx, deq, or src2496, all 1U. Approximate dimension 1.75 tall, 7-8 deep, and 17 inches wide.

2) http://k41.pbase.com/g6/60/69660/2/79441366.xbU8AIgA.jpg It's not a unit. It's the faceplates taken off the 1U chassis and installed in a box and extended to the DSP boards in the trunk. you can see the approximate 1.75 inch height and 17 inch width.
The gentleman with the s2000 from team lotus was playing with the faces after the BBQ to see if they could be grafted into the headliner by the sunvisors. Great idea, IMO.

4) the dcx is routable. Any of the three inputs can be sent to any of the outputs. You can also sum any two or all three of the real inputs to make a virtual input and send that to any of the six outputs, too. A good example of taking advantage of this would be to maintain a radio faceplate bass control knob by routing the main outputs to the first two inputs, then the sub output to the third input. This third input can be routed to the subwofer output while the first are routed to the stage outputs. For those of us who dont care, we can assign the main inputs to the SUM channel and use that for the subwofer.

5) Each XLR output is a single channel balenced output. Shorting two pins of the XLR cable eliminates the balenced signal. Only 6 outputs. I use my subwoofer amplifier crossover, and having no mute circuit for it is my only functional gripe at the moment.

#40 ·
Cool, I'm glad this got off the ground. Had this only been available a year ago and the Behringer was 8 channel instead of 6. :(

I wonder if this can be used with any of the dbx driveracks. I guess it depends on voltages. Anybody know what the rail voltages are for the DBX units?

Are the Behringers really that hard to come by?

Still has me interested though. I'm not in a rush to buy, but maybe down the road.

#52 ·
Another reason why the Rane is better...lol, it CAN do volume control via the VIP ports.

No, won't work with the dBx units either, atleast the ones I've looked at- they needed similar PS that Rane needed.

Now, you might could use that supply with the single rack space Rane and dBx processors. Maybe. Probably not though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.