LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 481 envisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond repute

Default DSPower! Behringer Power Supply Retrofit - Preorder Available

***as a courtesy I've stickied this thread, but that does not mean I endorse no guarantee this product in any manner

-Npdang

Hi Guys (and probably Gals),

After several months of delays, I am announcing that the DSPower! supply from Envision Electronics is ready for preorder. I am manufacturing the first 40 by hand due to upstart expenses being a bit costly to support right away. After all, I'm not a big company and my current resources are limited. I expect to be shipping the first orders by Sept 14th.

The introductory cost is $119 (normally $139) including free shipping to the CONUS. My site is being completed for this sale, and will be online by the end of the week. I just need to get a headcount of those immediately interested and ready to purchase.

Please send your inquiry, along with any questions to:

envisionelec_at_woh.rr.com

I will return your email with information regarding your order and how to place the order. I will also send you the link to the new webpage www.envisionelec.net when it is "online".

As WhiteRabbit (Steve) has posted in the original DCX Mods thread, the units perform noise-free and reliably. I sent Steve a pair of the supplies back in June to use at Marv's BBQ and for general beta testing. Although Steve's setup is highly unusual, with the 'guts' of the Behringer processors strewn about the interior of his trunk and passenger compartment, Steve reports excellent performance of the DSPower. He can't say so much for his unshielded ribbon extenders, however. Preliminary pictures of the unit are available at these links. These are mere prototypes of the final unit, although appearance and performance are similar.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...DCX2496001.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...DCX2496002.jpg

Needless to say, I am very happy with the engineered performance of these supplies. They emit very low levels of EMI, relegated to 2MHz. You can place a portable radio within 6" of an unenclosed DSPower and be able to pick up any AM or FM station without added noise or interference.

Let me go over some of the features of this Power supply which is designed to directly replace the AC input section of the Behringer DCX/DEQ2496:

1. True Plug and Play Operation. The installation takes less than 15 minutes to perform. The supply fits the OEM chassis frame and includes a terminal block for 12V attachment. No drilling holes. No cutting wires. Installation is 100% reversible.

2. OEM JST jumper connector. I went to great pains to buy the original design connector for this Power supply. It is a 75mm long JST PH-terminated connector with a board-in and wire-to-board connector. Simply put, the supply will plug in just as easily as the OEM power supply.

3. Low Noise, slow risetime switching operation. Fast-switching edges produce the most high frequency noise into a conductor, whether a Wire or the air. I've developed the supply and magentics (transformer) to give a trapezoidal waveform that slowly switches on and off to significantly reduce emitted noise (EMI) from the supply. This waveshape combines the efficiency of a square wave with the low-noise performance of a sine wave.

4. Fully Isolated Input-to-Output 100% isolation means that there is no chance of introducing ground loops using the DSPower! Supply.

5. Oversized MosFETs. The dual IRLR014N FETs in this design are oversized by a factor of 300%. You can short the outputs all day and nothing will blow up (although it might get hot). The supply is fully protected against reverse voltage, thermal overload and short circuit. A 3A onboard fuse handles extreme overcurrent situations and provides a measure of safety.

6. Double Sided, Blue Soldermask, Gold Plated PCB. It's PRETTY.

7. Diagnostic Green LEDs give immediate visual indication that any of the 5 output voltages are functional. They are not blinding, however, and will not leak light outside the chassis.

8. Mixed SMD and Through Hole design. Maximizes longevity and reliability. Surface Mount (SMD) filter capacitors require additional mechanical fixing (blobs of glue) and are subject to capacity loss during the soldering process. Therefore, the filter capacitors, inductors, transformer and terminal connectors are all through hole mount.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
Envision Electronics is based in Dayton, OH and has been in business since 2001. Envision started as a contract manufacturing consulting firm and continued into the audio hobbyist kit market with the introduction of the Point Zero Servo Compensated LM3886 Amplifier under the trade name EZAmps.com located at www.ezamps.com. Today, Envision Electronics continues to lead the kit industry with the first viable ICE (in-car entertainment) solution to cleanly interfacing the powerful, versatile Behringer Professional audio Products DCX and DEQ devices with the DSPower! power supply conversion kit.

"I am one of the ones who contributes, dude....advice, tech support, design, and whatever. Especially the whatever." - cajunner

Last edited by npdang; 09-05-2007 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Clarity changes
envisionelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Whiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DSPower! Behringer Power Supply Retrofit - Preorder Available

I'm glad you posted this. A local buddy needs a processor and I was exploring that behringer thats in the forsale forum right now as a solution, but I hadn't heard from you in awhile!

The supply is worth more than the $140 price tag.

Especially for the DCX2496 the supply promotes extremely robust operation, highly stable. And it's literally a 5 minute modification and the processor is up and running.

Aaron forgot to mention another design feature: No turn on or turn off pops. Designed into the supply so you dont have to worry about it.
Whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 887 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

You fuggin rock!

Congrats on a finished product, you deserve it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #4
werewolf

Sounds like a very well-engineered solution !!

The importance of #4, isolated design, cannot be emphasized enough
Old 09-05-2007   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 MiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
You fuggin rock!

Congrats on a finished product, you deserve it!
I couldn't say it any better.

Behringer DCX2496 ~$250.00

Power Supply mod ~$140.00

$400.00 for a processor that absolutely ROCKS is amazing.

I won't need one for quite a while, but if you have a hard time getting 40 buyers in a timely manner hit me up, and I'll take one. It would be quite a ways down the road before I used it, so I would prefer that people that would use it in the near future have first dibs.

I can't imagine you'd have a hard time selling these.

The ability to buy expensive equipment does NOT make you an audiophile.
MiniVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 kappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enough

man.... i'll be gettin one for sure. not now but someday

Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism
kappa546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #7

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 198 thehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to all

What voltages can it do? I need a +/- 15 volt, +15 volt, and a +5 volt...and about an amp of current on the +/- 15 volt for my Rane RPM88.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 481 envisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond reputeenvisionelec has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
What voltages can it do? I need a +/- 15 volt, +15 volt, and a +5 volt...and about an amp of current on the +/- 15 volt for my Rane RPM88.
No, it's not a universal supply. It will not Power your Rane RPM88.

"I am one of the ones who contributes, dude....advice, tech support, design, and whatever. Especially the whatever." - cajunner
Old 09-05-2007   #9
werewolf

maybe we should commission some Rane supplies ....

one of my all-time favorite processors is the Rane RPM26Z ... it will be gentle on your supply, I promise
Old 09-05-2007   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 mach_y will become famous soon enoughmach_y will become famous soon enoughmach_y will become famous soon enoughmach_y will become famous soon enoughmach_y will become famous soon enoughmach_y will become famous soon enough

anyone know if the behringer will function without the display / front controls connected?
mach_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
maybe we should commission some Rane supplies ....

one of my all-time favorite processors is the Rane RPM26Z ... it will be gentle on your supply, I promise
What is this Rane device used for in a car, anyway?

Old 09-05-2007   #12
werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaudio View Post
What is this Rane device used for in a car, anyway?
the 26Z and others in the RPM series are "multiprocessors" .... EQ, xover, time alignment. And the Rane engineering, including analog and DSP, is top-shelf ... no matter what anybody else might say

Best part ... some schematics are readily available And you'll find a wealth of info in the classic Rane tech notes, as well as their philosophies on analog and digital processing done right for audio.

www.rane.com
www.rane.com/library.html
Old 09-05-2007   #13

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Kenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enough

Ez, could you please completely dumb this down for the newbies that might want to buy and use this product.

So I take the Power supply out of the Behringer unit, and swap it for yours?

In order to use the DCX, do I need to use a head unit that has balanced outputs?

Thanks!
Kenny Bania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
the 26Z and others in the RPM series are "multiprocessors" .... EQ, xover, time alignment. And the Rane engineering, including analog and DSP, is top-shelf ... no matter what anybody else might say

Best part ... some schematics are readily available And you'll find a wealth of info in the classic Rane tech notes, as well as their philosophies on analog and digital processing done right for audio.

www.rane.com
I don't disagree with your assessment. The Behringer units are inexpensive, which makes them an excellent "deal" for their processor power.

The DSPower outputs +/-15V at 100mA, +9V at 500mA, +5V at 250mA and +3.3V at 400mA. These are pretty much set in stone because of the transformer windings. But you can make the basic supply drive anything if you rewind the transformer and re-engineer the secondary side. Note that the warranty is VOID if you attempt this...

Old 09-05-2007   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Whiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_y View Post
anyone know if the behringer will function without the display / front controls connected?
send me a PM if youve got some configuration questions about the dcx, I could talk about that all day.

short answer is it'll work just fine.

Kenny, no problems running unbalenced. That is the configuration I run right now. search for xlr-rca conversion and youll find which pins to short. I believe 1 and 3?
Old 09-05-2007   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Bania View Post
Ez, could you please completely dumb this down for the newbies that might want to buy and use this product.

So I take the Power supply out of the Behringer unit, and swap it for yours?

In order to use the DCX, do I need to use a head unit that has balanced outputs?

Thanks!
Drop in replacement. You need to remove the actual circuit board that the Behringer supply uses and drop this one in its place. This is very simple using the supplied directions.

No, you do not need any special headunit. This is the beauty of such a design. I run a plain-Jane Kenwood in my wife's Car with 4V outputs and I receive excellent results. The only limiting factor is - well, there is NONE.

Old 09-05-2007   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 3.5max6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
send me a PM if youve got some configuration questions about the dcx, I could talk about that all day.

short answer is it'll work just fine.

Kenny, no problems running unbalenced. That is the configuration I run right now. search for xlr-rca conversion and youll find which pins to short. I believe 1 and 3?

Hows the overall noise floor running unbalanced rcas ,Steve?

2008 Space Grey Metallic BMW 528i
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
3.5max6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #18

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Kenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enoughKenny Bania will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaudio View Post
Drop in replacement. You need to remove the actual circuit board that the Behringer supply uses and drop this one in its place. This is very simple using the supplied directions.

No, you do not need any special headunit. This is the beauty of such a design. I run a plain-Jane Kenwood in my wife's Car with 4V outputs and I receive excellent results. The only limiting factor is - well, there is NONE.
Wow, awesome!

I was considering the P9 or Alpine 701 combo. Has anyone used those and the DCX unit and would like to compare?

Sorry to dump on your announcement thread, but I think this might lead to more business for you. Especially if there's no noise in the analog signal transfer.
Kenny Bania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 186 MarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.5max6spd View Post
Hows the overall noise floor running unbalanced rcas ,Steve?
I also run them unbalanced and there isn't a hint of noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery
What I wanted to say is that amps ... sound the same.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #20
low

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
installers r us
Position:
installer

Rep Power: 122 low will become famous soon enoughlow will become famous soon enoughlow will become famous soon enoughlow will become famous soon enoughlow will become famous soon enoughlow will become famous soon enough

this is indeed very interesting.

i vote npdang the newest and sexiest e-celebrity to hit the car audio realm!!

I MISS NPDANG!!!!!
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough3.5max6spd will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 3.5max6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
I also run them unbalanced and there isn't a hint of noise.
Then it sounds like I may need to make room for one of these

2008 Space Grey Metallic BMW 528i
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
3.5max6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

no noise.

What I would most like someone to try is for someone to add a DEQ2496 to their existing processor system.

Say, someone has an H701 and is running optical from the alpine radio, no C701. (or heck, add a c701 makes no difference.)

I would like someone to experiment adding a DEQ2496 in line and testing the features out. Most notably the width adjustments and the 61 band RTA.

its nice that the DEQ2496 has optical inputs and outputs...

...or could even simultaneously pass 15-30 ms delayed balenced outputs leaving the optical output untouched going to the H701...

-----------------------------------------

Something key to say is that the behringer units are broken down into individual PCA's when assembled. Thus, the Power supply for the DCX or DEQ is simply labeled PSU2496, rather than being a smaller part of a greater product. Thus, ANY behringer equipment that contains the PSU2496 inside should work plug and play converted. Noone should be limited to JUST the dcx2496 or deq2496.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 09-05-2007 at 04:37 PM..
Old 09-05-2007   #23

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 198 thehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to allthehatedguy is a name known to all

Too bad it doesn't have the current ability for the Rane.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
Too bad it doesn't have the current ability for the Rane.

If I were to do a supply for "X" product, I wouldn't feel right making a "universal" replacement. It wouldn't work properly, wouldn't fit properly and wouldn't give you the best overall experience.
If you feel the Rane is a widely used system, or want to pay me $5k to Build one just for you then I'll consider it.

Old 09-05-2007   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

I suspect the pool of Rane users out there is much, much smaller than the pool of behringer users...