DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

DIY immobilizer?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dogstar 
#1 ·
Mot sure if this is the right forum but......
I know you guys would be the ones to ask so here goes.
My wife had a immobilizer installed in my old truck that was somehow hooked up to the key fob that unlocks the doors, so if you didn't use the fob to unlock the doors it wouldn't start. It was really simple even for a dummy like me but the guys that put it in went out of business and I cant find another one like it, would this be hard to wire up? Does anyone know of such a system? Any recommendations?
Thanks

#2 ·
oh sure. it's just a relay that interrupts the ignition when without power. unlocking the alarm energizes the relay allowing ignition to operate.

it is a very very standard alarm option. It is also very easy to bypass by removing the relay and reconnecting the two ignition lines.

#3 ·
it is a very very standard alarm option. It is also very easy to bypass by removing the relay and reconnecting the two ignition lines.
To me this sounds like a good thing.....no?
Would I be better off to try and wire up something like this or buy a off the shelf alarm system? I don't really have confidence that anything will stop a determined thief

#4 ·
either way is OK. its pretty common to wire up without an alarm at all. Say, put the trigger to your left blinker. So the relay is only active via keysense -> left blinker.

It'll really screw with your installer though if you dont TELL him your car doesnt start without the left blinker on.

pick an interlock. any can be wired up to ping on an immobilizer relay. a door has to be open. blinkers. headlights. brakes. anything with an interlock/switch.

#6 ·
Ok, so are you saying I should buy a immobilizer or just wire up a switch and relays?
it's a good thing until the alarm brain fails and leaves you stuck wherever you are parked at.

I personally am not a fan of the starter/ignition kill relays for this reason (probably because i HATE going on field repair calls). If it were me and I HAD to have a kill relay, I would put the trigger on a hidden switch somewhere that only I would know of.

Then you can manually engage or disengage the relay at will.
I had my last one for 6 years with no problem but I guess some are better than others. Do they fail regularly?

#5 ·
it's a good thing until the alarm brain fails and leaves you stuck wherever you are parked at.

I personally am not a fan of the starter/ignition kill relays for this reason (probably because i HATE going on field repair calls). If it were me and I HAD to have a kill relay, I would put the trigger on a hidden switch somewhere that only I would know of.

Then you can manually engage or disengage the relay at will.

#7 ·
I have a diagram for a relay immobilizer that uses a reed switch. Put a magnet on or near the reed, then start the car.
Used that on my bike for years and it always messed with my head when I came out to let the bike warm up while still half asleep. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.