crossovers/EQ in REW - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 10 lincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enough

Default crossovers/EQ in REW

I'm new to REW and this is where I'm at with my tune. It's far from perfect but sounds MUCH better than before. My stage is wider and imaging has greatly improved.

I had the hardest time flattening and matching the midbass drivers with only 6 bands PEQ on my C-dsp. I do have 6 more bands on the input side to play with though. I think I have nulls at 150, 750 that boosting wouldn't help. I haven't boosted anywhere but the sub for that matter. My factory head unit's roll-off was pretty bad and I didn't want to boost something that wasn't there to begin with. I could use help with the transition between my mids and tweets but I'm not sure if a different order filter or higher frequency would help. Any suggestions? Does anything stick out?

TM65 MK1 band passed 75-2.5 khz 24 db
Maximo tweets, (MDT-12?) 2.5 khz 24 db
AF G12 80 hz 24db

lincoln88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 208 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Default Re: crossovers/EQ in REW

since you have such limited bands of eq, i would try using 1/3rd octave to measure. then save the measurements and use the rew eq to see what it gives you and use the input eq for those

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 10 lincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enoughlincoln88 will become famous soon enough

Do you mean use the REW auto EQ and input the filters?

I tried that several times and was not happy with the results.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 83 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

That looks pretty darn good for someone that (I assume) doesn't have too much experience with this. If you want to dial in the crossover regions better, you can use the excel spreadsheet tool in my signature to generate a "house curve" for the tweeters, and another one for the woofers and then you will have a very easy to see target to aim for.

I like SkizeR's idea of using less resolution since you are limited by the number of filters you have available.

Using a limited number of filters is really tricky since you need to do three things at the same time: 1) shape the crossover regions to get good summing, 2) shape your overall frequency response to your taste, and 3) adjust the left/right balance using separate EQ filters to center your stereo image (certainly do this last though!).

Does the input EQ on the MiniDSP you're using have independent left and right eq bands, or are they locked the same for both the left and right? If you can adjust the input EQ left and right channels independently, you might want to reserve those filters for centering your stereo image after you get everything else the way you like it.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard
Jazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 40 brumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enough

Wow man, looks like you have made some serious progress.

This tip won't help you right now but it may if you decide to restart your EQ process. When you use the auto-eq filter generator in REW, you can limit how many filters you want it to use to EQ that region.

What didn't you like about the auto-eq results? In my experience, sometimes the auto-eq can a bit picky of how you set the parameters. So if you are getting something really funky, then it is most likely a setting in the parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab
OEM Headunit-->Helix DSP Pro
Audison 5.1k--->Xtant Tweets, AF GB25, (4) ID8's
PG Ti2 1000.4-->GZNK 165SQ
(Proper Acoustic Rear Fill)
brumledb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Thanks for the input guys. It makes me feel better that you think that looks halfway decent.

Jazzi: I'll check out your spreadsheet and try my hand at 1/3 smoothing as SkizeR recommended. I did use C-DSP's L/R EQ to try to channel match drivers. I can use the L/R pre EQ to make overall changes as well.

Brumledb: I Auto EQ'd in REW twice and was not happy with the filter selection. Imaging was great and my stage was wider and deeper with the initial tune, but it just sounded thin, harsh, boomy. I tried to correct all he illness but I couldn't do much. This manual tune sounds loads better, but maybe I'll go back with your suggestions and try to auto tune again if you think I'll net better results.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 40 brumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enough

The key to using auto-eq is to have a house curve that you are shooting for. When it is set to to your own house curve, REW then compares your current FR to that house curve. It then creates filters that make your current FR meet your house curve. Jazzi has a tool "Jazzi's tools" that creates house curves for you. You should use one of those or a custom house curve to try EQ-ing to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab
OEM Headunit-->Helix DSP Pro
Audison 5.1k--->Xtant Tweets, AF GB25, (4) ID8's
PG Ti2 1000.4-->GZNK 165SQ
(Proper Acoustic Rear Fill)
brumledb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 63 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Yes itís an awesome tool! And with each driver target, 6 PEQS of autoEQ are pretty good.
But sure itís also strange sometime, itís all in the settings, target level, indiv. boost, max boost and bandpass etc.
I think I must calculate 10 or 20 each time, and re-measure 2 or 3 to get the one I need.

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

I used the JBL house curve Brumledb.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 177 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Nice work. Keep in mind tactfully there's a bunch you can do with just a few bands of parametric EQ. I think it's great work. 1/3 octave for measuring resolution is fine but it's kind of nice to check out to 1/6 or 1/12 to see what's going on from a measuring perspective. Even if you can only address it at a broader level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Thanks Babs. I'm definitely stoked with this tune so far. It's really amazing how different things sound with proper TA and EQ. Prior to tuning I could audibly place speaker position, guitars sounded harsh, bass guitar would wander fore and aft. Now I just have big space in front of me.

What nobody has pointed out is that I forgot to include overall response. I was all focused on transitions but failed to capture the sum of things..
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 116 alachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enough

So, generally speaking, say someone has a Mini-DSP that has:
- 6 Bands PEQ independent L/R on the input side
- 6 Bands PEQ independent L/R on each output

What is the best way to leverage those points using REW? Should you try and focus on using the input PEQ to smooth area around the X-over points while using the output PEQ to tackle the passband of each driver?
alachua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

If your only option is to use the previous PEQ to smooth out transitions then so be it, but I wouldn't say it's the best way. I would do everything I could with crossovers and your 6 bands output to flatten and channel matching, then use the pre PEQ to alter the overall response to your liking. Remember, the pre PEQ is effecting multiple drivers on one side.

But from this thread, you can see that I'm new to this.
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

I have some nulls I would like to fix for the sake of channel matching and as mentioned earlier I have 6 more bands of pre PEQ to do so.

L (blue) mid

150 hz (huge)
750 hz
1.2 kHz

R (red) mid

550 hz
750 hz
1.5 kHz

I know it's recommended to cut rather than boost, but given the graph above are any of these worth pursuing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement