Passive or active crossovers on JL amp? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 0 tcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enough

Default Passive or active crossovers on JL amp?

I have a JL Audio XD700/5 (jlaudio.ca/xd700-5-car-audio-xd-amplifiers-98264]XD700/5) currently running a set of raw drivers and tweeters from parts express using the built in active crossover on the amp. It sounds really good, but one of my speakers is going out. I got a set of Helix E62C.2 speakers to replace them with (audiotec-fischer.de/lng/en/helix/products/speaker/e-62c2.html

My question is, should I stay with the amp's active crossover or use the passive crossover that comes with the speakers?

The way the amp's crossover works is you pick the frequency you want your mids and tweeters crossed over at, and it sets a band pass filter at a -12db/oct slope.

The Helix don't have much information on their passive crossovers other than, "6/12 dB slope, bandstop filter, tweeter protection and adjustable tweeter level"

I'm eventually going to get a DSP and do active crossovers the proper way but can't decide which way to go for now.
tcoffin014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 173 kyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Passive or active crossovers on JL amp?

You can always bridge the front channels and use the passive crossover come with the component set.

kyheng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 119 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

if your are not doing time alinement between mids and tweeters now, I say bridge the amp down to three channels and give the components more clean power through the passive crossovers.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 0 tcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enoughtcoffin014 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyheng View Post
You can always bridge the front channels and use the passive crossover come with the component set.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I want to try both ways and see what I think, but I don't have time for that haha
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post
if your are not doing time alinement between mids and tweeters now, I say bridge the amp down to three channels and give the components more clean power through the passive crossovers.
Right now I'm using the time alignment built into my 4200NEX that the auto eq mic determined. But the way the 3 way crossover on the amp works, you can only input one 2 channel signal and it uses that for both the tweeters and mids. So they aren't time aligned separately. They won't be ta'd separately if I do the passive crossover either, so may give that a shot
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

What about running each channel of the amp to a separate speaker like I was running active, but since my setup wont allow full control of each frequency, maybe I could hook up the passive crossovers to the mids only and still have full control over the tweeters with the high pass filter built into the radio? Not sure if this would provide any benefits other than sending more power to the speakers.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that passive crossovers can actually change crossover points due to the impedance of the speaker changing depending on what frequency it's playing/what location the speaker is at in its excursion range. Is this correct? Is that a benefit of an active crossover, that it will keep a set crossover point?
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 38 BlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enough

The XD700/5 should allow for 4 channel input and active crossovers. Just set it to 6 channel input and the crossovers to 10x and bp.
BlueGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 319 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Passive crossovers are built for a particular set of drivers, they are not universal. At a minimum you must replace speakers with speakers of the same impedance, or the crossover point will change. Even then, the results can be pretty bad. Active has far more advantages than just flexible crossover points.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGhost View Post
The XD700/5 should allow for 4 channel input and active crossovers. Just set it to 6 channel input and the crossovers to 10x and bp.
That's how I have it. But even when you put it in 6 ch mode, it only uses the first set of inputs when you switch it to bp mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Passive crossovers are built for a particular set of drivers, they are not universal. At a minimum you must replace speakers with speakers of the same impedance, or the crossover point will change. Even then, the results can be pretty bad. Active has far more advantages than just flexible crossover points.
I understand that. I'm not talking about using a different speaker or crossover than what they came with. I was talking about how even though a speaker is rated for a certain impedance, the impedance changes constantly. https://www.google.com/search?q=spea...Icr5pl_6rmlpM:

But active crossovers don't care about impedance do they? They are always crossed over at the set frequency?
The Following User Says Thank You to tcoffin014 For This Useful Post:
BlueGhost (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 38 BlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoffin014 View Post
That's how I have it. But even when you put it in 6 ch mode, it only uses the first set of inputs when you switch it to bp mode
That's a little disappointing. You think they wouldn't do that, with as many head units that come with time alignment now.

I have a xd700/5 and have used it active, but I was only using 2 channel inputs. Then when I got my DSP I no longer used the internal crossovers.
Old 1 Week Ago   #11

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Quote:
That's a little disappointing. You think they wouldn't do that, with as many head units that come with time alignment now.

I have a xd700/5 and have used it active, but I was only using 2 channel inputs. Then when I got my DSP I no longer used the internal crossovers.
Yeah I was excited for the time alignment and went to plug back in the other RCAs then I remembered why I didn't even have them plugged in lol. What DSP did you go with?
Old 1 Week Ago   #12

DIYMA freshman

I'm using the PPI dsp-88r in the truck with the xd700/5. Others have had problems with the 88r. I haven't, but it's not in my daily driver either.

I just ordered a TWK88 for my new truck.
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

Quote:
I'm using the PPI dsp-88r in the truck with the xd700/5. Others have had problems with the 88r. I haven't, but it's not in my daily driver either.

I just ordered a TWK88 for my new truck.

Nice. I'm a hybrid audio and Zapco dealer so I'm thinking of eventually going with the Helix or new Zapco DSP
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 173 kyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I want to try both ways and see what I think, but I don't have time for that haha
Your amp's onboard crossover points selection are limited on channel 3,4. It would be great if it have X10 multiplier also.

Old 1 Week Ago   #15

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyheng View Post
Quote:
Your amp's onboard crossover points selection are limited on channel 3,4. It would be great if it have X10 multiplier also.
How I have it crossed over now is pretty good actually. I have it set right about 2k Hz. I don't plan on going any lower than that and I actually just read something about mids being crossed over higher is better if they are designed right. Rather than having tweeters that are crossed over lower
Old 6 Days Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
How I have it crossed over now is pretty good actually. I have it set right about 2k Hz. I don't plan on going any lower than that and I actually just read something about mids being crossed over higher is better if they are designed right. Rather than having tweeters that are crossed over lower
You need to cross your midbass higher at 1000Hz, that's the limitation I said.

Old 6 Days Ago   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Living in the past......

Rep Power: 71 Marky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enough

The DSP is the ultimate SQ by a long shot. Next in line is a electronic crossover then working with amp cutoff points.
Passive crossovers muddy up the waters waaay too much for my liking. Pretty amazing how fast and sharp the sound gets once its fully active.
I tried a system a few years back using the passive crossovers with speakers. Boy was that a disappointment. It was ok at moderate levels but when I put power to it there was a lot of stumbling on the highs it seemed. Just like the speakers couldn't keep everything straight. Got a bit messy.
After several tries used a electronic crossover and the sound was just amazing.
DSP is next for me and I recommend it for you too.
Marky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #18

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
The DSP is the ultimate SQ by a long shot. Next in line is a electronic crossover then working with amp cutoff points.
Passive crossovers muddy up the waters waaay too much for my liking. Pretty amazing how fast and sharp the sound gets once its fully active.
I tried a system a few years back using the passive crossovers with speakers. Boy was that a disappointment. It was ok at moderate levels but when I put power to it there was a lot of stumbling on the highs it seemed. Just like the speakers couldn't keep everything straight. Got a bit messy.
After several tries used a electronic crossover and the sound was just amazing.
DSP is next for me and I recommend it for you too.
Yeah DSP is definitely next, but that's a little ways down the road. What speakers did you have that you didn't like the passive crossovers on?
Old 6 Days Ago   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

Living in the past......

Rep Power: 71 Marky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enoughMarky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah DSP is definitely next, but that's a little ways down the road. What speakers did you have that you didn't like the passive crossovers on?
I had two different JL speakers;

C5-570-CSI
ZR-650-CSI

I went with Nakamichi EC302 electronic crossover and the difference there was stunning. I could crank it up and everything was perfect, no breaking up and mixing. Passive has a issue with keeping up where electronic does not. Its clean and pure.

I have not had a DSP system up and going. I have mine about 90% done.

Electronic Crossovers work well and only thing better is a DSP
Problem with DSP is they are not easy to tune like a Electronic crossover. Plus the DSP is very expensive where a electronic crossover can be picked up off ebay for $1-$300.00

Alpine
Nakamichi
Clarion
Yamaha
List goes on......

Lots out there
Marky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Setback on passive crossovers are always the volume on overall setup.
Like some passive that comes with -3dB, -6dB which may too loud for some even the jumper already set at -6dB.
DSP does not have this problem as all are controlled at your finger tips. Not to mention you can try and error(as long as you don't feed bass frequencies to your tweeters) to get your "best" sound you like.

Old 5 Days Ago   #21

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
CAA Mobile Installations
Position:
Owner

Yeah I've never been a fan of JL components out of the box. I haven't really heard their higher end ones though.

I may try the passives that came with this set and bridge the amp to see how it sounds until I get a DSP
Old 5 Days Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 319 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Just so we're not leaving false information for people searching this site, a passive crossover does not reduce sound quality, but it takes away the option to tune for the environment. Assuming the passive crossover is designed around the vehicle and speaker placement it can sound every bit as good as an active crossover.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement