LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 120 Sinfoni_USA is on a distinguished roadSinfoni_USA is on a distinguished roadSinfoni_USA is on a distinguished roadSinfoni_USA is on a distinguished roadSinfoni_USA is on a distinguished road

Default New System help for '05 Mustang

Ok guys I just bought a 2005 Mustang. They come with two speaker locations per door; one that houses a 6x8 driver with a mounting depth of 3.3" and a 8" subwoofer at the bottom of the door with a depth of 3.5". The OEM system actually sounds pretty good, HOWEVER, you and both know IT MUST BE CHANGED !

I would like to put a good midrange and possibly a tweeter in the 6x8 space and then put a subwoofer in the lower space. I really want to keep ALL the sound up front since I have the factory mounting locations available.

I will be using some OLD SCHOOL Phoenix Gold amplifiers for power. An M44 and M50 to be specific. I also plan to either interface with the OEM headunit via a JL Audio Cleansweep OR use an Alpine 9835.

PLEASE POST YOU SUGGESTIONS !

Thanks !

J
Sinfoni_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #2

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Western Shelter Mobility
Position:
Electrician

Rep Power: 116 99StangGT will become famous soon enough99StangGT will become famous soon enough99StangGT will become famous soon enough99StangGT will become famous soon enough99StangGT will become famous soon enough99StangGT will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New System help for '05 Mustang

I have the same car but without the 8". I was going to do Dayton 6" in the 5x7 hole and and 8" in the bottom. I mounted my tweeters in the A-pillars. I changed my mind for now and just went with 6 1/2 and skipping the 8s for now. If I find all the stuff to put in the 8s I will. are those stock 8s in there own encloser? I havent seen one torn apart.
99StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #3

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 120 Sinfoni_USA is on a distinguished roadSinfoni_USA is on a distinguished roadSinfoni_USA is on a distinguished roadSinfoni_USA is on a distinguished roadSinfoni_USA is on a distinguished road

Yes, I'll post some pictures...
Old 05-04-2006   #4

DIYMA Novice

[IMG]StangDoor9[/IMG]

[IMG]StangDoor10[/IMG]

[IMG]StangDoor6[/IMG]

[IMG]StangDoor3[/IMG]

[IMG]StangDoor2[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2006   #5

DIYMA Novice

Apparently I am having trouble posting my pictures... I have them uploaded to DIYMA but I can't seem to get them to display....

HELP
Old 05-04-2006   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 139 kappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enough

i think u can just attach them as you would in an email. look at the bottom of the post page when ur doing it.

Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism
kappa546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #7

DIYMA Novice

Any suggestions...?
Old 05-04-2006   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 139 kappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enoughkappa546 will become famous soon enough

seems like a good opportunity to try something different... i remember hearing the eclipse point source speakers a while back and was really impressed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eclip...spagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ECLIPSE-5-25-Poi...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Eclipse-8971-5X7...QQcmdZViewItem

and perhaps peerless SLS 8 (830667) or XLS 8 (830491)

Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism
kappa546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 117 Dangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really nice

I can't remember the mounting depth of a Peerless XLS 8", any of you guys know if it's around 3.5mm? The Dayton RS225 would squeek in there, it's right at a 3.5mm depth. XLS would be my first choice for that application.

Midranges-really depends on what you prefer. I'd go with something like a SEAS Excel W15CH 5" midrange driver combined with a Lotus Reference tweeter since a large format tweet wouldn't fit. The Excel/Lotus 4" drivers are nice too, I just prefer the 5 inchers overall as they're a bit more effortless within their intended range, especially considering the demands of the car environment. There are other compact tweets that would mate with them as well, like the Scan D2904/6000. Of course, Dayton has some attractive options that are cheaper, those Peerless Exclusive mids look very nice as well.

The Cleansweep is a great unit for OEM integration. If you plan for processing in the future, I'd get the Alpine DVA-9860 since it can control the H701 processor and you could avoid having to mount a separate control unit.
Dangerranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 118 AcuraCl1 will become famous soon enoughAcuraCl1 will become famous soon enoughAcuraCl1 will become famous soon enoughAcuraCl1 will become famous soon enoughAcuraCl1 will become famous soon enoughAcuraCl1 will become famous soon enough

Congrats on the new car. Look forward to seeing it. Now I know why I havn't been able to play with the Phoenix Golds to try on my Brax Graphic Pros. You can wait and go with the Legatia 8" 3 way set, Dayton, or Seas. You know there are way to many choices for speakers. For headunit, wait and go with the new Helix......................

Scott
AcuraCl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 Infinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enough

Look for my opinions under this same username at TMS forums. Finding a direct replacement 8" that's decent is VERY hard. I do know that a lot of drivers will fit with minor mods like redrilling the mounting holes. Be ready to make custom grills for them- the factory one needs the factory speaker to mount properly. I was going to use some Dayton RS's, but I picked up some NIB Orion XTR8 MB's, so I'll go ahead and use those. Also, on the 6x8 hole, there is 0 tweeter protrusion allowable. Keep that in mind. Even a lot of coaxes won't fit behind the panel.

Oh, I just remembered, the DEI studio 8" midbass may be the perfect driver for the door, that or some Kicker SS8 MB's. If ANYONE would make some of those fantastic 8's (eD, AA, etc) with neo motors, I'll be the first in line.

I gots no stereo for now......
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 newtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enough

wow so there are 6x8's AND 8's in those doors? wow that makes a 3 way REALLY easy

I sure love mustangs--but I have kids lol
newtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #14

DIYMA Novice

Yes... 6x8 AND 8" subs...

Happy me... I just need some advise on what to put into those spaces...

J
Old 05-05-2006   #15

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 sqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enough

go for this 8"
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind...27120&pid=1706
sqkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #16

DIYMA Novice

Anyone have experience with the either the Madisound comp. set or the Peerless Definition set ?

J
Old 05-05-2006   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 Infinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enough

Oh, if it helps, the 8" enclosure is .41cubic feet sealed.

I gots no stereo for now......
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #18

DIYMA Novice

The enclosure already in the door is .41ft3... hummm....

Thanks Infinity !
Old 05-05-2006   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 117 Dangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really nice

Not only does the car have an 8" location, but it has a sealed enclosure for an 8" sub? I want a 2005 Mustang

Infinity covered it pretty well, though. Dunno any others that would fit.
Old 05-05-2006   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Are you planning on adding any other subs in the vehicle or are you wanting the front 8" drivers to do sub duty as well?
Old 05-05-2006   #21

DIYMA Novice

I would prefer to use the front mounted subs for the ONLY source of subbass...

J
Old 05-05-2006   #22

DIYMA Novice

Infinity:

Another quick question... I have heard that the output for the subwoofer amp is full range... Is this true ?

J
Old 05-05-2006   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Just found specs for the Peerless XLS 8"-it's just barely too deep for your application (~3.75") IMO that one was the ideal driver.

I'm looking for you, but I agree with Infinity on how hard it is to find a driver that will fit and do sub duty at the same time. Even a SEAS L22 won't fit
Old 05-05-2006   #24

DIYMA Novice

I'm curious about the 4ohm Adire Extremist, would it fit the bill ?

I could probably fit those XLS8 drivers given the use of an MDF spacer... do you know where they could be found ?

J
Old 05-05-2006   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Extremis would be too deep as well, and if you were to modify to get the Extremis, you might as well just get the XLS.

But yes, with a spacer it'd fit Didn't know if you wanted to go that route or not You can still get them on Solen:
http://www.solen.ca/