LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 114 Mty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enough

Default What guage speaker wire should I use?

Well, I'm finally getting ready to do the install on both cars (now that its starting to warm up in Toronto) ... I've already decided on what manufacturer I'm going with for the Power\Ground wire ... and what guage to use to keep the amps happy.

Now I need to figure out what guage speaker wire to use ...
I figure the front midbass, midrange and tweets will have about 11'~15' of speaker wire run for each channel, and I'll be giving them about 100W rms each. So I'm thinking of using 14 guage twisted speaker wire, but would it be big enough?

For the sub, it'll be around 2'~3.5' long, and would be passing through roughly 1000W rms, would 12 guage be enough or should I go bigger?

I just don't want the speaker wires to be the limiting factor in my install.

Once all this is done, I'll spend next month on sound dampening the crap outta both cars. That's gonna be a whole other headache!!

Thanks
Thuwa

Ps. Any and all recommedations regarding what guage speaker wire to use would be appreciated.
Mty Mous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 circa40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to circa40

Default Re: What guage speaker wire should I use?

16 awg for mids/tweeters and 12 awg for subwoofers should be fine for most applications, including yours
circa40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 107 MadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMaxSE-L

The guages you figured about will be fine. As long as you select the proper guage power/fround wires, you should be good to go

-Matt

No room for audio on my Gixxer
MadMaxSE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 tommyd will become famous soon enoughtommyd will become famous soon enoughtommyd will become famous soon enoughtommyd will become famous soon enoughtommyd will become famous soon enoughtommyd will become famous soon enough

I've had similar setups in the past, using the same gauges running roughly the same power. Never had a problem. I switched to 12 gauge just for the sake of not having 4 runs of different speaker wire in the car.

Alpine/CDT/Image Dynamics/JBL
tommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 solacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to solacedagony Send a message via AIM to solacedagony Send a message via MSN to solacedagony

Perhaps it's most beneficial to generalize on the topic of wire first. Regardless of application at this point, what characteristics of the wire does size affect? Looking at it from a power wire stand point, you'd be worried about power capacity. What other things affect power capacity of a wire? Length, as well as size. So now you just need to find a formula/web calculator to determine the power capacity of a wire based on size and length.

So why would speaker wire be different?

2003 Ford Ranger Std. Cab
Pioneer P880PRS | Seas Neo/Exclusive 7" | DIYMA12
solacedagony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Create a new enthusiast.

12V Company:
Imagine Audio

Rep Power: 107 WRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to WRX/Z28

Everything said above should be adequate, but for overkill, I run the thickest I can find to everything... 12guage to tweets is not "too much" if you ask me.
WRX/Z28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 158 89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice

I use 16 gauge for the whole install, including the sub. It's plenty.
89grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 CodeMan will become famous soon enoughCodeMan will become famous soon enoughCodeMan will become famous soon enoughCodeMan will become famous soon enoughCodeMan will become famous soon enoughCodeMan will become famous soon enough

The only thing I'd mention that hasn't been covered already is space constraints. I have tiny molex plugs in my car and even getting 16AWG to fit through when running wire into the doors them was a chore.
CodeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Create a new enthusiast.

12V Company:
Imagine Audio

Rep Power: 107 WRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enoughWRX/Z28 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to WRX/Z28

Eh, 16 should be fine, but less resistance is better, so if it's not going to cost you anything (time/patience/money) then biggest you can find. Molex's are a biotch, you could make your own hole and loom it to run thicker, but it's probably not worth it.
WRX/Z28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 114 Mty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enoughMty Mous will become famous soon enough

Yea, the space\thickness of the wires and running them through the doors is definitely a concern ...
But the good news is that only my midbass drivers will be in the doors (for both cars), for the Civic, I'll have the mids and highs in the Q-logic kickpanels and the Miata would have custom pods built to house the DLS 3" mid and 1" tweets near the a-pillar (don't like how my focal tweets sound when in the stock location and my hand is on the wheel).
So yea, the wiring should hopefully be easier for the mids\highs, and it won't be too hard to wire the 14guage through the door for the midbass.

Good news is that my Miata's doors have already been wired with 14guage for the Focal mids in the doors, so I just have to worry about the Civic's doors. But I'm sure the 92~95 Civic HB's doors are gonna be a PITA to do.

As for power wire, its gonna be 0 guage from battery to trunk, with a 120amp fuse breaker in the engine compartment and in the trunk it'll split from 0 guage to 4 guage for each amp. Hopefully that'll be adequate.

For my RCA's, I'm hoping the ones from www.Jacksmusicfactory.com is good enough.

-Thuwa
Mty Mous is offline   Reply With Quote