DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Different XO setting between driver & passenger side

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  caraudiofan21 
#1 ·
Is there anything to gain with different XO settings between driver & passenger side in a 2-way setup?

Assuming the woofer location is fixed at 90 degree off-axis in the door, while one can reposition the tweeter in any way.

#3 ·
It can change the staging and placement, but if that's a good thing or not, is a matter of experimenting. Might help create better staging, but it could as easily **** it up in no time

#4 ·
absolutely. I did it all the time when i had my P9. the individual drivers polar response is obviously different in one seat and different filters are needed for and equal response at that seat. In the end, the difference wasn't that important to me and in my quest to simplify my system i sold the p9 off, it's just a matter of how anal retentive you are :)

#5 ·
My vehicle inherantly has a response bump right around the crossover points between midbass and midrange. Both drivers and passengers side midbass lowpassed at 300Hz. However, the drivers side midrange is highpassed at at 380Hz and the passengers side close to 500. I did this to obtain a flat response for each side BEFORE hitting the EQ.

Getting set to strip it down and redo it entirely (DSP settings that is). I'd like to double check phase and time alignment to see if I can't get the crossover region to sum better without playing trickery with the crossovers.

Ge0

#6 ·
i think what you are alluding to is using the crossover as another band for EQ, which is smart, especially if you are limited on the number of EQ bands....the amount of overlap/underlap could serve to bring out or subdue frequencies at the xover point.....

#11 ·
Ah... that's a great way to think about it - Crossover points as an additional EQ band. When you have 2 different XO points in L & R, what's the right way to adjust the phase?

Let's say I have:

Left - Mid LP @ 2k, High HP @ 2k, 12db slope w/ high phase inverted to avoid the null @ 2k

Right - Mid LP @ 2.5k, High HP @ 2.5k, 12db slope w/ high phase inverted as well

In this case, will there be a phase alignment issue for frequencies between 2-2.5k?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.