DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Amp(s) to run 2way + sub

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  chad 
#1 ·
I am going to be soon (finally) upgrading the front componets and adding a Sub to my Miata after over a year of thinking about it. I have my head unit and drivers selected and now am down to the amp(s).

I plan to start with the 2-way components using the included passive crossovers that should be driven with 100w-150w/ch and 2 4 ohm subs that needs about 150w each.

I already have a 2x100 amp that I was planning on using and then adding an additional amp for a sub that can do 300x1 into 2 ohms. The only issues are 1)since this is going into a Miata, using 2 amps will take valuable space and 2) I am getting the 880PRS so I can go active down the road, but this require adding a 3rd amp. So, my thoughts are as follows:

1) Keep with the current plan of 2 amps with a 3rd later and deal with the lack of space.

2) Sell the 100x2 and get one of the new Alpine PDX 150x4 amps. Size and effecinecy are more important that any small decrease in SQ vs AB amps. If I want to run the tweets active, I can pick up a small 20-50w x 2 amp for them or possible run them off the head unit.

3) Sell the 100x2 and get a JL 500/5. I can run my entire system active off of this one amp that will fit without me having to loose the spare tire or most of my trunk on amps. Downsides are cost and slightly less power than options 1 or 2.

Any other suggestions or amps that would work for options 2 and 3 that are less $$ than the Alpine PDX or JL 500/5?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Okay, so there are decent power 4 channels options are out there for me to consider for much less $$ then the PDXs..good.

How about 5 channels?

Also, while I would like options that cost less than the Alpine PDXs and JL slashes, I am willing to pay for them if there are no other options with the same power / form factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.