LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 82 tomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enough

Default Audiobahn AWT34 34-Inch SUBWOOFER Install questions

I am looking for anyone who has ever installed an AWT34 Audiobahn. (211-LB Subwoofer, measures 36-inches across) . My car will be out of the bodyshop in 1 to 2 weeks and the install begins. Been planning this one for about 2years now. I have a 1972 Honda Z600 (micro-car), and am trying to figure out any info at all on installing an AWT34 into it. The car is very small. I would like to fire the sub forward, and run a large Linear Power amp on the sub. If the Linear Power doesn't put out enough, I have a pair of US Amps VLX's . Then put as many as I can fit of the Zapco 151 amps on the mids and highs. Maybe some 8" subs too if I can find some extra room. It is going to be a tight and very time consuming install. I have asked on several other forums in the past trying to find someone who has installed one of these. Not much luck so far. Anyone out there ever install one? And has anyone ever done a large system in a Z600? I was an audio tech for years, mainly repair, but did lots of custom install too. But nothing like this. Any help from someone who has installed a 34" would really help. In two weeks the car will be ready, and I need all the help I can get. Don't want to build the box into the car and find out later that I should have vented it, run a bigger box, ect. I am still working on a charging system for all of this too. This is going to take a ton of power from such a small motor. It will be a huge project that I hope to complete in about 4-6 months from now.
Here are some pics of what I have to install.

-classic car audio collector-
-former audio repair tech-
tomtomjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

12V Company:
Sound Deadener Showdown
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 157 Rudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond reputeRudeboy has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Audiobahn AWT34 34-Inch SUBWOOFER Install questions

I'd bet you are the first person ever to do that. Definitely interested to read how it goes. Are you actually planning to drive this car after you're done?
Rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Once you get your second { HO alternator } and three deep cycle batteries installed the 3/0 wire will be a breeze.

Maybe the glovebox if your going for upfront bass { 8" }, the 36" will look great downfiring thru the roof.

All, except for the car .[ everything is bigger in Texas ].

Last edited by Oliver; 07-24-2008 at 06:09 AM..
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 121 86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough86mr2 will become famous soon enough

This sort of reminds me of Mythbusters and the diesel powered subwoofer. Ratio of diameter to car size would be about the same.
86mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Sneetch

12V Company:
Zuki Audio
Position:
Sales and Customer Service

Rep Power: 141 Boostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really niceBoostedrex is just really nice

36" sub? Wow! I'd be interested to see the T/S specs on this thing just to see what kind of box it would require. Possibly could work in an aperiodic enclosure? That's the only way I could see something that big working in a car that small.
Boostedrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #6
AWC
DIYMA 500 Club

Pleased to meet you..

Rep Power: 243 AWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond repute

I keep poking my eyes to see the pretty spots...relooking and, sure enough, you're serious...I've seen that in action...in Louisiana..is that answer enough..? It was in the back of a pickup with a bigass hole cut between the cab and the bed glued together. dear me...

Save the world….VOTE HILLARY!!!!
AWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #7

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 102 cheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enough

I like A$$holes idea of the roof mount!

Good Luck finding anyone who has installed one.

If/when you do install it we will need pictures of course!

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #8
AWC
DIYMA 500 Club

Pleased to meet you..

Rep Power: 243 AWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond reputeAWC has a reputation beyond repute

I say it would need to fire up at a 45 degree angle completely giving up your rear window. might as well replace the rear-window with a 42inch screen so that the people behind you can watch Jurassic Park.

Old 07-24-2008   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 102 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

an AP vent has got to be the ONLY way that can fit in the car. Even a sealed box would be F'ing huge! Can that amp even fit in the car sideways?
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 111 ClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enough

The one I heard was in a 9cf sealed enclosure. Fs is around 13hz, if I recall correctly and they did not recommend use in a vented enclosure. I think the specs called for something closer to 15cf sealed.
ClinesSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 102 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClinesSelect View Post
The one I heard was in a 9cf sealed enclosure. Fs is around 13hz, if I recall correctly and they did not recommend use in a vented enclosure. I think the specs called for something closer to 15cf sealed.
I'd venture to guess that there isn't 9cf in that entire car.
Old 07-24-2008   #12
AWC
DIYMA 500 Club

Pleased to meet you..

I think it would be easier to hook it up in a seperate car and have it drive along side you

Old 07-24-2008   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aworldcollision View Post
I think it would be easier to hook it up in a seperate car and have it drive along side you
Did anyone else see the stretch limo episode of Top Gear?
Old 07-24-2008   #14
AWC
DIYMA 500 Club

Pleased to meet you..

OMG, you like...totally gave me the solution to..like do this. What if you put an inverted hottub on the roof, sealed it all and had it downfire...like mentioned before. Only when it topples over cuz of it's high center of gravity, you could fill it and fuckin party!!!!!

Old 07-24-2008   #15

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 108 Inferno333 will become famous soon enoughInferno333 will become famous soon enoughInferno333 will become famous soon enoughInferno333 will become famous soon enoughInferno333 will become famous soon enoughInferno333 will become famous soon enough

Where did you find that speaker and that amp?

I wonder if they still have some of those recones laying around...
Inferno333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 SSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enough

If I remember correctly that thing was tremendously under motored...

I wonder what it would do with a new BTL motor?

Will that thing even fit through the door opening on the car?
SSSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #17
AWC
DIYMA 500 Club

Pleased to meet you..

it was orignally invented as a self powered mini-trampouline

Old 07-24-2008   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 253 Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond reputeAaron'z 2.5RS/WRX has a reputation beyond repute

Bout the closest thing I've ever seen to this was 4 15"er in a Mini, an old mini and they had to stretch the car...

I think the AP would be ideal, you would have to cut the floor and mount the mat in the hole, vent outside... (being serious here to) Or do that on a wall and just vent out a big hole in the floor.. no AP...

Quote:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Narrator: Idiocracy
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #19

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 82 tomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enoughtomtomjr will become famous soon enough

I appreciate all the comments, but still want to figure out a way to fit this into the car and make it sound decent. I know it is a shot in the dark, but you never know. I remember seeing a Green Mini Fiat with one on the internet, and it is not much bigger than the Z600. I know it can fit, barely, but it will. Airspace, charging system, and sound I think are going to be the biggest hurdles. I have a few of the Clarion 32 inch subs (that require less airspace, and less power. I had one in my 99 Chevy ect cab pickup and it was amazing. I have the box from it and sub as my shop subwoofer. Wife and neighbors hate it. I know the 32 inch sub will work fine in the car, and I know a lot more about them, but really want to try to figure out a way to make the 34-inch sub work. I am hoping that it is double or more the sound of the Clarion's. For mids and highs I have some NOS Boston Acoustic plates, tweeters, ect. Most of the mids have been refoamed and should work like new. For EQ's I have lots of the Zapco EQ's. Basically I want to run a complete old school system, with a newer gigantic subwoofer. But I really don't want to cut the top off the car, put a vent through the side, ect. I do appreciate the suggestions, but don't think that is what I am looking for. I am still hoping to run into someone on here that has put one of these in. Either way, this sub is going in the car. If it won't sound right, I guess I will downgrade to the 32". Here are some pics of the Clarion, plus a bunch of other stuff that I will be putting in...
FOR MORE PICS (side view of the car, more pics of subs, amps, eq's, mids, tweeters, ect...)
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...DIO/?start=all

Old 07-24-2008   #20
AWC
DIYMA 500 Club

Pleased to meet you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX View Post
Bout the closest thing I've ever seen to this was 4 15"er in a Mini, an old mini and they had to stretch the car...

I think the AP would be ideal, you would have to cut the floor and mount the mat in the hole, vent outside... (being serious here to) Or do that on a wall and just vent out a big hole in the floor.. no AP...
will you be able to remove the back door to get in and out during the build? Plus I think the AP vent might would work and be done less drmatic than you might think.

Old 07-24-2008   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 164 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

whats your goal?

spl wins?

or sq wins?

or just to get it in there?

if you can say what it is you are trying to achieve some can help.

but given that a single 12 in a car that small could be made to reach ungodly spl levels, that monster sub is waaaaaaaaay overkill.

so, why are you doing this?

if its just for show, throw it in a plexi box with lots of leds and your golden.

if you want it to sound good, and given that cabin gain is a reality,

and that subs cone prolly has the same surface area as (10) 12 inch subs,

im guessing your going to have to have a retractable roof

if done right, and it works, i bet you can do 150debeeez @ 18hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #22

DIYMA Novice

The overall goal would be to get it in the car and sound decent. Not going for a SQ. Doubt I would have that. I am about deaf from the early days of crank it till it hurts. Can't hear the tweeters like I used to, so SQ would not be my goal. I would like it to be mounted straight up. Behind the seat. I think I have the fit without cutting anything. Barely, but it looks and measures like it would fit. The doors will be removed to get the sub in. Mainly a show and go car. Doubt I would break any SPL records, or even come close. Just want it to go as low as possible, but sound good at 70hz too. There is very little info on the net about this sub other than people who never owned or installed one, bashing it. I know what the Clarion 32 can do in the proper box, and if I can get double that, I would consider it a success.

Old 07-24-2008   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 164 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomjr View Post
The overall goal would be to get it in the car and sound decent. Not going for a SQ. Doubt I would have that. I am about deaf from the early days of crank it till it hurts. Can't hear the tweeters like I used to, so SQ would not be my goal. I would like it to be mounted straight up. Behind the seat. I think I have the fit without cutting anything. Barely, but it looks and measures like it would fit. The doors will be removed to get the sub in. Mainly a show and go car. Doubt I would break any SPL records, or even come close. Just want it to go as low as possible, but sound good at 70hz too. There is very little info on the net about this sub other than people who never owned or installed one, bashing it. I know what the Clarion 32 can do in the proper box, and if I can get double that, I would consider it a success.
id prolly get this

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=61135111

and design the correct box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #24
AWC
DIYMA 500 Club

Pleased to meet you..

I'm sticking with my guns. You won't get proper volume but it's the way I'd do it. At a 45 degress angle with the driver facing the driver, seal the sub using the entire back of the car as the box. Pretend the car is a shoebox, put a 6.5 in the rear bottom corner facing the front top, put your mounts as a flat surface between the sub and the cargo areao. IOW, the cargo area becomes the sealed enclosure with and enormous amount of damping materials. Leave the rear of the sub visible from the rear windows but you'll have to seal it up ....maybe even a 12 pack of great stuff....I dunno but that's the way i'd do it.

Old 07-25-2008   #25

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 94 6APPEAL will become famous soon enough6APPEAL will become famous soon enough6APPEAL will become famous soon enough6APPEAL will become famous soon enough6APPEAL will become famous soon enough6APPEAL will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomjr View Post
Love the custom Linear. How many and what amps are in the case?

I agree with sealing the front and rear of the car off (wall) and using the rear cargo area for the sealed enclosure. AP venting out through a hole in the floor might work, but that will be an 18" hole(1/2 cone area) in the floor. Saw that done in a Chevy Beretta with 4 10's.
John

Got Ear Candy?
A pair of 87 Grand National's - 1 street machine and 1 TSM race car wanna be
6APPEAL is offline   Reply With Quote