LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
eggstersampsandstuff
Position:
sales, basic installs

Rep Power: 89 lust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Listing of amps that ZED made

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispls View Post
They'll be insanely good if they're half what he had discussed with me last year.

Of course he said a lot was on the chopping block since he needed to compromise between a lot of factors before deciding on what could realistically be done in production.

What he did say was very flexible (multi-channel options to true mono....like the esx's or hifonics gen X) Also flexible pre-amp options (burr brown, or possibly choice of tubes from cheap, to high end Russian). And he wanted them to do full Power from 8 ohm to 1 ohm. His exact words were "...and if you wanted to be an asshole and run them at 1 ohm, they could do that too." If you ever talk to Stephen, don't mention 1 ohm

Near as I know, the Lanzars that he did were all the Opti with model numbers XXX.X like 100.2, 200.2, 500.2, 1000.1D (I think there's a 4 channel that's his too) They all have the sort of rounded heatsink as opposed to the squared off Korean made one, and they say "designed and manufactured in USA" as opposed to "designed in USA" on the Korean ones. Pre-amp options on these Optis are very nice.

Early Hifonics boards look very primative and sloppy (from what you can see on ampguts). Anything beyond VII have a certain look to them and I'd consider them all rock solid....barring the Lanzar Opti1000.1D which apparently have some issues with inadequate output transistors.

I saw an M&M amp on eBay a while back that the guy said was Zed made. I'd like to verify that, but he didn't post internals, so who knows? Most of his boards in addition to having a certain look have "zed audio" on them, and many of the early ones had other little easter eggs like "this is a big mutha" and such.
THIS IS A BIG MUTHA!! I've read catch phrases like that, made me want to bid for sure..
lust4sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #27
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 103 The Dude will become famous soon enoughThe Dude will become famous soon enoughThe Dude will become famous soon enoughThe Dude will become famous soon enoughThe Dude will become famous soon enoughThe Dude will become famous soon enough

I emailed Mr. Mantz on the Lanzar mid 90's Opti black and gold line, he told me that Zed did not Build them, just so you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4sound View Post
Yes Crunch, but which ones? I'm told there are a few. Folks keep the info coming!! Brands and models numbers!!

I already found a Lanzar Optidrive 6200, mint in box, sitting in a Pawnshop collecting dust. I think it may be brand new, never used.

Low ball offer about to be made.

Anyone know if the MTX 250x (black with gold logo) is Zed? Had one a long time ago, little amp was beastly, recently found a few in Pawnshops..
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #28

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 optizz will become famous soon enoughoptizz will become famous soon enoughoptizz will become famous soon enoughoptizz will become famous soon enoughoptizz will become famous soon enoughoptizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I emailed Mr. Mantz on the Lanzar mid 90's Opti black and gold line, he told me that Zed did not Build them, just so you know.
Those black Lanzar opti and gold line in mid 90's was built and made here in San fernando valley, ca. Where Lanzar use to be before the buy-out, It was built by Gary Kovener of Kove audio, Just compare Kove's amp and Lanzar opti 2500 looks kind of the same!

Last edited by optizz; 12-12-2008 at 08:27 AM..
optizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 Hispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by optizz View Post
Those black Lanzar opti and gold line in mid 90's was built and made here in San fernando valley, ca. Where Lanzar use to before the buy-out, It was built by Gary Kovener of Kove audio, Just compare Kove's amp and Lanzar opti 2500 looks kind of the same!

Thoe ones with the heatsinks like this are Zed made....there's a similar one but with a more squared off look that's the newer korean ones.
Hispls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #30

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 vwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enough

I wish Zed audio would just list with pictures on there website of all of the amps that they made over the years!! It really would help out omeone who is looking for a "real" Zed amp. It would hep out a lot of people who are looking on Ebay and such. Like I never knew that they even touched Boss amps. I always that they were crap! I quess not.

Thanks
Justind
vwguy383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 Hispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwguy383 View Post
I wish Zed audio would just list with pictures on there website of all of the amps that they made over the years!! It really would help out omeone who is looking for a "real" Zed amp. It would hep out a lot of people who are looking on Ebay and such. Like I never knew that they even touched Boss amps. I always that they were crap! I quess not.

Thanks
Justind
All in all, there's a lot lacking on his website. I belive that Stephen is a real amp genius, but I don't think marketing is his long suit.

In the history link there's somewhat of a rundown of the brands (though certainly not the models and years).

I never knew about the Boss amps either (until I bought one), I remember when they came out everyone just laughed them off since Boss rated 2X over actual ouput....really a shame as they're great amps and the clear top ones are pretty sexy... but that whole lying strategy of marketing totally kills a company's rep.
Old 12-18-2008   #32

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 vwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enoughvwguy383 will become famous soon enough

Smile Re: Listing of amps that ZED made

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispls View Post
All in all, there's a lot lacking on his website. I belive that Stephen is a real amp genius, but I don't think marketing is his long suit.

In the history link there's somewhat of a rundown of the brands (though certainly not the models and years).

I never knew about the Boss amps either (until I bought one), I remember when they came out everyone just laughed them off since Boss rated 2X over actual ouput....really a shame as they're great amps and the clear top ones are pretty sexy... but that whole lying strategy of marketing totally kills a company's rep.
I do remember the history link also on the Zed website too. But, like you said not models and years. Which would be REALLY helpful. Maybe Stephen doesn't have the time, but I'm sure he could have someone do it. Maybe one of his former employees could do it? Hint Hint.... I think Pics would be really great also.

Thanks
Justind
vwguy383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #33

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 RYNOMOTO will become famous soon enoughRYNOMOTO will become famous soon enoughRYNOMOTO will become famous soon enoughRYNOMOTO will become famous soon enoughRYNOMOTO will become famous soon enoughRYNOMOTO will become famous soon enough

I have several Zed Amps now....

two of the USAcoustics USX2080's and one USX4065......

I hooked them up on a buddy's system with no tweaking whatsoever, just setting the gains and the crossovers real quickly....

he was immediately shocked..... the sound was warm and rich, and the bass seemed more pronounced and the highs were crisp and clear......

I had never really believed that an amp had much to do with output of sound, I always thought it was more to do with transport and the HU and source of sound (quality of CD recording).....

he was playing the radio on a local FM station and it sounded like a cd.....

the amp he was normally running was a fuzion or something like that....
RYNOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #34

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Cutra
Position:
president

Rep Power: 101 cutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes Crunch, but which ones? I'm told there are a few. Folks keep the info coming!! Brands and models numbers!!

I already found a Lanzar Optidrive 6200, mint in box, sitting in a Pawnshop collecting dust. I think it may be brand new, never used.

Low ball offer about to be made.

Anyone know if the MTX 250x (black with gold logo) is Zed? Had one a long time ago, little amp was beastly, recently found a few in Pawnshops..
Like these crunch amps that I have...

cutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 102 benny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nice

hey cutra, where in Ontario are you?

benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #36

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Cutra
Position:
president

Rep Power: 101 cutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enoughcutra will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
some of the earthquake amps were a pretty good copy of the zeds of the day
Copies for sure but still nice amps.
I have a couple maybe this year I will install them.
Cutra.
Old 03-31-2009   #37

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Cutra
Position:
president

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny View Post
hey cutra, where in Ontario are you?

Yes I'm in Toronto.
Why?
Old 03-31-2009   #38

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 mcsoul will become famous soon enoughmcsoul will become famous soon enoughmcsoul will become famous soon enoughmcsoul will become famous soon enoughmcsoul will become famous soon enoughmcsoul will become famous soon enough

Planet audio hvt-754 zed made 4x75w amp with a tube pre-amp stage.
I'd love one!
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #39

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Cutra
Position:
president

Here are my ESX amps by Zed Audio.
My Favourite.

Old 03-31-2009   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 102 benny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nice

Just wondering how close I was to that sweet-ass old gear!

Its nice to know your neighbors, too.
Old 03-31-2009   #41

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Cutra
Position:
president

Here are some of my HiFonics VII amps made by Zed Audio..
I love these amps.

Old 03-31-2009   #42

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Cutra
Position:
president

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny View Post
Just wondering how close I was to that sweet-ass old gear!

Its nice to know your neighbors, too.

Hehe, no problem.
anytime you want to pass by and chat let me know.
Old Car audio is my life.

Cutra
Old 03-31-2009   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Nice. Dont be surprised when I send you a PM saying Im coming to TO then!
Old 03-31-2009   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
eggstersampsandstuff
Position:
sales, basic installs

Rep Power: 89 lust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enoughlust4sound will become famous soon enough

OK, I want to kill all of you!!

BTW, the Lanzar Optidrive that I was referring to is the 6200. Looks just like the 50C (which was a comp cheater beast, rated @ 50 x 2 but bridged @ 1/4 ohm put out some ridiculous number, awesome for subs. 50 x 2 measuring in at 16" x 8" and weight of a Sherman tank? Yeah, who were they kidding?)

Anyway, it is a huge by large 6 channel that is something along the lines of 35 x 6 @ 4 ohms @ 12 volts. Disgustingly underrated as it does 200 rms x 3 when bridged. The amp is huge, measures approx 20" in length and about 8" wide. Anyone know that one? Is it Zed made? I know it's made in the US, was produced in 94/96.

And yeah ,those Crunch amps pictured, the Hifonics pictured? I would kill for those!! Hate you.. Those Earthquake PA-2300's, just sold one, totally regret it..

My ferret like attention span is debilitating, my shits a mess. Clarion DRZ9255, Hybrid Audio (L1V2/L4/L8) JL12W7(x2) PPI A1200.2(x2) A600.2, Ax400
Old 03-31-2009   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 71 drufuss will become famous soon enoughdrufuss will become famous soon enoughdrufuss will become famous soon enoughdrufuss will become famous soon enoughdrufuss will become famous soon enoughdrufuss will become famous soon enough

i have two of the planet audio hvt7100 tube amps BNIB. Ive been having them for quite a few years now. i really dont know much about em, or how much they're worth. ive heard before that they were made by zed, but i dont know for sure if its true.
drufuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
OK, I want to kill all of you!!

BTW, the Lanzar Optidrive that I was referring to is the 6200. Looks just like the 50C (which was a comp cheater beast, rated @ 50 x 2 but bridged @ 1/4 ohm put out some ridiculous number, awesome for subs. 50 x 2 measuring in at 16" x 8" and weight of a Sherman tank? Yeah, who were they kidding?)

Anyway, it is a huge by large 6 channel that is something along the lines of 35 x 6 @ 4 ohms @ 12 volts. Disgustingly underrated as it does 200 rms x 3 when bridged. The amp is huge, measures approx 20" in length and about 8" wide. Anyone know that one? Is it Zed made? I know it's made in the US, was produced in 94/96.

And yeah ,those Crunch amps pictured, the Hifonics pictured? I would kill for those!! Hate you.. Those Earthquake PA-2300's, just sold one, totally regret it..
Those are made in USA, but NOT Zed made....

Old 05-05-2009   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
eggstersampsandstuff
Position:
sales, basic installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinju View Post
Autotek (Bass Thrust Series) 7050, 7100, 7150, 7300, 7600
Autotek (Mean Machine) 33, 44, 99, 222, 333, 220MXI, 330MXI

Rodek 2150i, 2300i, RA2150E, RA2300
I just picked up an Autotek.. It is a small white 2 channel. The model number is 44, however it says both "Mean Machine" as well as "Bass thrust" series on it it..

Any word on the specs?? I'd like to know what it puts out.. Has a switch on the bottom labeled 1 ohm or 2 ohm..

Anyone with info??

My ferret like attention span is debilitating, my shits a mess. Clarion DRZ9255, Hybrid Audio (L1V2/L4/L8) JL12W7(x2) PPI A1200.2(x2) A600.2, Ax400
Old 05-05-2009   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
eggstersampsandstuff
Position:
sales, basic installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drufuss View Post
i have two of the planet audio hvt7100 tube amps BNIB. Ive been having them for quite a few years now. i really dont know much about em, or how much they're worth. ive heard before that they were made by zed, but i dont know for sure if its true.
Ive been having them for quite a few years now. LMAO right there!!

Old 05-05-2009   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 86 jsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enoughjsun_g will become famous soon enough

All this Zed talk made me dig up some pics of Hifonics VIII amps I had. At one time I had a total of 9. All are gone EXCEPT for the Aphrodite. I'll eventually sell her, but not in this crappy economy, I won't get much $$$.

2009 USACi finals: 2nd place basic consumer SQ.
Build log. Car audio is just a game of physics.
jsun_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
eggstersampsandstuff
Position:
sales, basic installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun_g View Post
All this Zed talk made me dig up some pics of Hifonics VIII amps I had. At one time I had a total of 9. All are gone EXCEPT for the Aphrodite. I'll eventually sell her, but not in this crappy economy, I won't get much $$$.

What a beautiful site!!

Anyone know the specs on the Autotek Mean Machine Model 44 (says Bass thrust series on it as well as Mean Machine. Amp is a friggin little beast, was kicking the shit out of 4- JBL Power GT 10's (single 4 ohm, 94DB sensitivity) Still this little 6" x 8" amp is no joke.. Get this. I have a 20 x 20 Sony amp that will fit in your pocket, literally. Very clean, decent power, legit 20 x 20 rms great for tweets..

Please, need specs on the MM 44!!