LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 85 armed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enough

Default McIntosh MSS630 anyone?

anyone used this set before?
any comments?
armed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Classic cars & McIntosh

Rep Power: 97 MACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enough

Default Re: McIntosh MSS630 anyone?

I owned a set briefly, but never installed them. They are Vifa variants although I'm not sure what models they cross reference to.

"I say stay long enough to repay all who caused strife." Layne Staley
MACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 74 McMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: McIntosh MSS630 anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACS View Post
I owned a set briefly, but never installed them. They are Vifa variants although I'm not sure what models they cross reference to.
So the Mc speakers are not Mcs but Vifa? are Vifa Speaker good or bad i will be instaling the MSS630 i have in the next week or so in my SQ system, do you thing they will be a let down

Any advice on this much appreciated

ATB.
McMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 TREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enough

I've been a huge McIntosh fan for 20 years, but I've never cared for their components- Especially for what they cost.
TREETOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 74 McMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enoughMcMan will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: McIntosh MSS630 anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
I've been a huge McIntosh fan for 20 years, but I've never cared for their components- Especially for what they cost.
Thanks for the quick reply, say money out of the way, are they any good or are they pants

I have 2 sets so are they worth instaling.
McMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 TREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enough

I've installed maybe a dozen sets of McIntosh components (for customers, not for myself), but that was quite a few years ago. I always hoped they'd sound better than the last time, but they always left me hanging a little bit. I could never pinpoint exactly what my issue was with them, but they just seemed to color the sound more than what I was used to. For lack of a better description, they sounded very "baritone"- Like the lower midrange was peaky and the upper midrange was muffled. Female vocals (and Michael Jackson) just left me very unsatisfied.
I ran them off various amps in different installs, but usually McIntosh, a/d/s/, and Zapco amplifiers. Didn't matter if it was a 5.25" or 6.5", same issue with the sound.
I never ran them active, and it could be that their passive crossovers were the weak link- I don't know. I do remember customers being happy with their purchase but I couldn't get them to sound right to my personal liking out of the box.

I think at the time I was spoiled by a/d/s/ speakers, I almost never had a problem getting them to sound great. I remember swapping out the McIntosh separates in one system for a/d/s/ separates, and my frown turned into goosebumps when I played it again. The difference was drastic. That's probably part of why I still use a/d/s/.
TREETOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Classic cars & McIntosh

Rep Power: 97 MACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enoughMACS will become famous soon enough

McIntosh has a long history of rebadging home and Car audio speakers. Vifa makes drivers for many different companies, so it's not just McIntosh using their services.

What I don't get is that McIntosh and Boston Acoustics are under the same parent company, DM Holdings, so why not get Boston to make some drivers for McIntosh instead of contracting Vifa

"I say stay long enough to repay all who caused strife." Layne Staley
MACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 77 jpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enough

mcintosh was owned by clarion as well when their Speaker line came out. rebadged clarions?

John
jpswanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 90 Catman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished roadCatman is on a distinguished road

I have never been overly impressed with McIntosh speakers (car or home) ...they are not 'bad' ...just not up to what I expect from McIntosh.

>^..^<

If money is the root of all evil, why do churches beg for it?
Give me liberty ...or I'll get up and get it myself.
An armed man is a citizen ...an unarmed man is a subject.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote