LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 fujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enough

Default DIYMA12 can I use it in home theater??????

Kind of a off the car audio question....I also happen to be into home audio. The DIYMA12 looks like it would make a really nice home theater sub as well. Doesn't need lots of space and plays clean and musical. Any thoughts?
fujio001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 DonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DonutHands

Default Re: DIYMA12 can I use it in home theater??????

i dont see why not
DonutHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 102 mrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enough

Sure. Its a good price for a quality product. If you want to do HT tho, go big and vent low.

Best,
Mark
mrogowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 160 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

I would say no. I think it's a great driver don't get me wrong, but there maybe some audible cone resonance (aka cone rattling) in a home environment especially using a ported enclosure. Small sealed box in a car I think you would be much happier with the performance.

And actually Mark's products are a much better bang for the buck, and especially well suited for home theater. A friend of mine just received his mj-18 and is absolutely blown away... and he's used Velodyne, REL, etc. in the past.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 102 mrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enoughmrogowski will become famous soon enough

Hi Np,

You know your sub better than I do, but I think you're underestimating your design. Judging by the build quality and specs of the driver, I wouldn't be affraid of placing it in a very low tuned enclosure and using it for home audio. I'd choose this unit over a number of the Dayton's and they seem to be heavily favoured by many...

Best,
Mark
Old 11-10-2006   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 152 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

I had a diyma in 1.5cuft ported to 28hz and came across some nasty cone rattling. I also hooked it up in my ht in a even larger box (1.75 tuned to 25) and same problem. Small and sealed is the way to go in the car with the diyma in my experience.

What is Mark's line?

Alpine INE-S920HD - Zapco Studio 300x - Boston SPZ60 - RF T500-1 - Oz Matrix Elite 10" in a L.A.B. SlapBox
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #7

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdang
And actually Mark's products are a much better bang for the buck, and especially well suited for home theater. A friend of mine just received his mj-18 and is absolutely blown away... and he's used Velodyne, REL, etc. in the past.
What would you suggest as far as a nice low end for movies and music. I'm planning on a pair of tempests 2 8cf sonotubes tuned at 16hz, i watch movies rarely but when i do i love the low stuff, and i mainly watch regular TV, occasional video game, and lots of music, so setup must do it all. Currently running plans on a pair of RS225's, RS52 and my LPG26nafm's, also possibly got a xover diagram minus the LPG on the way......

What from Him would be a good low priced replacement, if not better at low end displacement, as well as overall SQ like that of the tempest or better, 40-50hz and down only. 200x2 @4ohms to play with, only 200x1 right now but planning on getting another amp just like the plate amp i have now for the other tempest to match.....

Whats good?

||2005 Scion tC : Alpine IVA-W200 /|\ Alpine H701 \|/ LPG 26na /|\ DIYMA 2" Dome \|/ Adire Extremis 6.4 /|\ DIYMA Ref. 12" \|/ NEXT 4.400, (2) 2.400 /|\ Raammat BXT:Ensolite \|/ KnuKoncepts||

Enjoy your own Private-Universe.org!
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #8

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes
I had a diyma in 1.5cuft ported to 28hz and came across some nasty cone rattling. I also hooked it up in my ht in a even larger box (1.75 tuned to 25) and same problem. Small and sealed is the way to go in the car with the diyma in my experience.

What is Mark's line?
Well, you guys know what's best for the driver...

m
Old 11-12-2006   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 fujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enoughfujio001 will become famous soon enough

How about a small sealed box for home theater?
fujio001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006   #10

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 sqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enoughsqkev will become famous soon enough

How far away are you from the box??

It's not as noticeable if you're somewhat far away from the sub. When I turned the sub to face another way, most of the cone noises were gone at even loud volume. (consider that I got a sub with some cone noise issue, others got their subs without any noises at all)

I'm willing to try the diyma 12" again, it sounds truly transparent and great for music. Not too sure if it's "loud" enough for movies though.
sqkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006   #11

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 103 savagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enoughsavagebee will become famous soon enough

If you're looking for inexpensive w/decent quality, check out elemental designs eqhs 12"s... $40... good bang for the buck.. Ive got a couple right now, and plan on usingthem for ht....

From everything Ive heard the diyma is a great mobile sub..... just doesnt sound cut out for home use...

Ive heard great things about the daytons as well...
savagebee is offline   Reply With Quote