LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 Subirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enough

Default Is the JL HD900/5 Underrated?

Anyone have this amp?

Did it come with a birth sheet?

Does the birth sheet show that this amp is underrated or does it do a true 500 watts to the sub?

I am just trying to decide if the JL would be a worthwhile buy. It is an expensive amp and 500 watts is impressive for the sub channel as is, but if it does more like 600 watts because it is underrated, I may go that route.

I don't have a lot of JL experience so I thought I would reach out.

Previous Car and Systems:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/776474
Subirex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 176 t3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of lightt3sn4f2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Is the JL HD900/5 Underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subirex09 View Post
Anyone have this amp?

Does the birth sheet show that this amp is underrated or does it do a true 500 watts to the sub?

I am just trying to decide if the JL would be a worthwhile buy. It is an expensive amp and 500 watts is impressive for the sub channel as is, but if it does more like 600 watts because it is underrated, I may go that route.

The difference between 500 and 600 watts is less then 1dB. The difference can not be perceived.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 56 Subirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enoughSubirex09 will become famous soon enough

Ok but I am not really concerned about an audible difference if that's what you mean.

I just asked my question that particular way to stay focused on what the amp is rated at and what it might be able to put out if it happens to be underrated .

The sub I am using is rated at 600 watts rms. So if the JL does put out bigger power than it shows, it would be a better choice than what I already have ready to go into my install. My sub would probably be a bit happier.

Last edited by Subirex09; 11-20-2009 at 06:17 AM..
Old 11-20-2009   #4

DIYMA freshman

XXXX

Old 11-20-2009   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 mark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Anyone have this amp?

I have this amp. its pretty sick. one amp solution and i was able to tuck it under my seat. saved probably 70 pnds in wood weight and amps ripping out my rack and my power wire is probably only like 6 ft lol. It does not come with a birthsheet. Subirex is right, this amp is 100 x 4 plus 500 x 1. i have mine bridged at 150 x 2. even if it was 200 x 2 and 600 x 1 i doubt the avg ear can really tell a diff.
mark1478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 58 mark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ok but I am not really concerned about an audible difference if that's what you mean.

I just asked my question that particular way to stay focused on what the amp is rated at and what it might be able to put out if it happens to be underrated .

The sub I am using is rated at 600 watts rms. So if the JL does put out bigger power than it shows, it would be a better choice than what I already have ready to go into my install. My sub would probably be a bit happier.
what kind of amp are you running at 600 rms?
Old 11-20-2009   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 pstar2002 will become famous soon enoughpstar2002 will become famous soon enoughpstar2002 will become famous soon enoughpstar2002 will become famous soon enoughpstar2002 will become famous soon enoughpstar2002 will become famous soon enough

The Jl amps genrally chuck out more power, However as described above this wont make much difference if you set them up using the method described in the maual with the voltmeter. The amps are solid so will drive most things adequately
pstar2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #8

Super Moderator

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 505 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

As TN suggested, the difference between 500 and 600 watts is 0.79 dB. It just doesn't matter and your sub won't be happier or sadder...Happy Amps don't come from California... or Florida, for that matter.

Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer, Audiofrog, Inc.
Andy Wehmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #9

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1478 View Post
what kind of amp are you running at 600 rms?

Nothing running yet because I am in the early stages. I have a new Alpine PDX-5 sitting in my closet though. It is a bit underrated and the birth sheet says the sub channel will do about 414 watts vs the advertised 300. The Phoenix Gold RSdC102 sub I will use is very efficient so 300 or 400 watts would probably be fine but I thought that an HD900/5 could be better if I find the courage to spend that kind of money...which unfortunately has never really been a problem for me...finding courage to spend money for electronics : ).

Old 11-20-2009   #10

DIYMA freshman

Thanks to all of you for responding to my thread.

I didn't want this to turn into another 5 channel amp showdown, of which I know there are a lot out there, so I wanted to make sure we stayed on the HD900/5.

Old 11-20-2009   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 99 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wehmeyer View Post
As TN suggested, the difference between 500 and 600 watts is 0.79 dB. It just doesn't matter and your sub won't be happier or sadder...Happy Amps don't come from California... or Florida, for that matter.
ROFL...not like cows I suppose
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #12

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Nothing running yet because I am in the early stages. I have a new Alpine PDX-5 sitting in my closet though. It is a bit underrated and the birth sheet says the sub channel will do about 414 watts vs the advertised 300. The Phoenix Gold RSdC102 sub I will use is very efficient so 300 or 400 watts would probably be fine but I thought that an HD900/5 could be better if I find the courage to spend that kind of money...which unfortunately has never really been a problem for me...finding courage to spend money for electronics : ).

If you have a new PDX why dont you try that before you pick up a JL? I happen to like the JL better, I listened to both since the place I bought it from was an alpine/jl dealer. There was an authorized dealer on here I was talking to that offered to sell it to me for 750..I managed to get a localer to sell it to me for the same price.
Old 11-20-2009   #13

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
If you have a new PDX why dont you try that before you pick up a JL? I happen to like the JL better, I listened to both since the place I bought it from was an alpine/jl dealer. There was an authorized dealer on here I was talking to that offered to sell it to me for 750..I managed to get a localer to sell it to me for the same price.
I was mainly looking at the JL for the wattage increase on the sub but if the underrated pdx really puts out about 414 and the jl really puts out the rated 500, i dont think it would be worth the higher price to get 86 more watts and whatever 4 way wattage is present. I am not very picky and my sub will be efficient so if i install the pdx, i will most likely hang onto it.

I also will be setting the gains using a voltmeter as usual which is always a good thing to do.

This has definitely been a helpful thread for me.

My sub is on order, my fitted Audio Integrations enclosure is on order, I already have the speakers and amp, and all I will need is RAAMAT or Second Skin, and an amp wiring kit and I can probably get this bad boy going especially if the winter stays as mild as it has been so far this year in the East...60 today.

Last edited by Subirex09; 11-20-2009 at 08:26 AM..
Old 11-20-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 880 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have this amp. its pretty sick.
JL will fix it for a flat rate, but I'd imagine it's still under warranty so long as you bought it authorized

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #15

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
I was mainly looking at the JL for the wattage increase on the sub but if the underrated pdx really puts out about 414 and the jl really puts out the rated 500, i dont think it would be worth the higher price to get 86 more watts and whatever 4 way wattage is present. I am not very picky and my sub will be efficient so if i install the pdx, i will most likely hang onto it.

I also will be setting the gains using a voltmeter as usual which is always a good thing to do.

This has definitely been a helpful thread for me.

im sure youll be very happy with the PDX. I could have went either way myself, I just loved the fact that this thing fits right under my seat. My system is very stealth

My sub is on order, my fitted Audio Integrations enclosure is on order, I already have the speakers and amp, and all I will need is RAAMAT or Second Skin, and an amp wiring kit and I can probably get this bad boy going especially if the winter stays as mild as it has been so far this year in the East...60 today.

im sure youll be very happy with the PDX. I could have went either way myself, I just loved the fact that this thing fits right under my seat. Any sq differences between any amp can prob be fixed with an EQ. I would install all the stuff before you RAAMAT or SECOND SKIN. You may not need it. Its not like your running a 2k system. I didnt, but I drive an 06 infiniti so it was pretty tight under the factory.
Old 11-20-2009   #16

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
not in the biz anymore
Position:
Install Manager

Rep Power: 66 slomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enough

your pdx will work fine, a JL will work fine, it doesn't matter. it's not like if you don't give the sub the exact amount of power it won't work. it's not like a light switch where it's on or off. besides, what kind of enclosure are you going to run, the more efficient enclosure designs need less power to do the same job as, say, a sealed enclosure. just run it, if you want to go louder, get bigger speakers or bigger power or both

Lot's of stuff in a garage awaiting the next install.
slomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 880 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
your pdx will work fine, a JL will work fine, it doesn't matter. it's not like if you don't give the sub the exact amount of power it won't work. it's not like a light switch where it's on or off. besides, what kind of enclosure are you going to run, the more efficient enclosure designs need less power to do the same job as, say, a sealed enclosure. just run it, if you want to go louder, get bigger speakers or bigger power or both
^^^^ speaks logical, listen ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

For every 3 dBs of efficiency the power becomes less that is needed to sound just as loud

some subs are in the 80's , other subs are in the 90's...since you have a higher efficiency sub, you are all set

Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 bamelanc will become famous soon enoughbamelanc will become famous soon enoughbamelanc will become famous soon enoughbamelanc will become famous soon enoughbamelanc will become famous soon enoughbamelanc will become famous soon enough

I have had this exact same discussion with the dealer because I bought the 900/5 to put on my focals and JL sub. The 10W3v3 can handle 500 rms and as a whole, the system sounded ok, but as I started to drive it toward the upper limits it couldn't keep up. Same with the Focals. So after listening and tuning and such, I decided to go with the 600/4 and 750/1. It was the right choice. I was getting the clarity I wanted at the volumes I wanted. Even though I didn't go with the 900/5, I'm not saying it's not a badass amplifier and it might be right for someone else, wasn't for me. I would still recommend it. Keep this in mind, the 900/5 has a 60 amp fuse...but so does the 750/1. The 600/4 has a 50 amp fuse. So with 900 watts of total power, it has 10 amps more protection as an amp with 600 watts of total power. I'm not saying it won't do 400 on highs and 500 to the sub, I'm saying that's ALL it will do. That being said the 600/4 and 750/1 are probably more conservatively rated amplifiers. I think the 900/5 is what it says and that's all. It is not an underrated amp as some would say. All that being said, the JL dealer told me JL originally named the amp an 800/5. They probably should have stayed with that and then everyone would have been saying it's underrated.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS - Active, JL HD 600/4 on Focal Power 165 KR2, JL HD 750/1 on JL Tundra Stealthbox 10w3v3-2, Stinger connects, JL Amp kit, Hushmat floors and doors.

Last edited by bamelanc; 11-20-2009 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: factual
bamelanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #20

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
not in the biz anymore
Position:
Install Manager

Rep Power: 66 slomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enoughslomofo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
^^^^ speaks logical, listen ^^^^
I noted this down in my book of compliments...

Old 11-20-2009   #21

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
I understand it's not a light switch, i have had many a system in the past. But what i also know is that certain subs are more power hungry than others and when you underpower a power hungry sub because you don't have it amped to at least it's RMS, you can hurt your sub...In another life I ran a PG Ti12d elite off 1000 watts and it wasn't enough for that power hungry beast to run properly so i had to make a change.

Since the sub i am getting will be very efficient, 400 watts probably won't be a problem for the reasonable system i am going for. I am simply doing all of my research so i make the right choices for my application. If i could have gotten my sub 600 with the JL that would have been great but 414 vs 500 isn't worth the change or cash to me. I am not looking for bigger speakers or sound, just a stealthly system that doesn't attract much attention and i want to amp it as appropriately as possible.

The PDX should be terrific.

Last edited by Subirex09; 11-20-2009 at 01:30 PM..
Old 11-20-2009   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 99 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

Quote:
But what i also know is that certain subs are more power hungry than others
You are talking about efficiency. An inefficient speaker is what you are calling "power hungry". It takes a lot to get a little.

An efficient subwoofer only needs a little to get a lot

Quote:
when you underpower a power hungry sub because you don't have it amped to at least it's RMS, you can hurt your sub..
This was never true; it's not true now, and it never will be true.
Old 11-20-2009   #23

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
not in the biz anymore
Position:
Install Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post

This was never true; it's not true now, and it never will be true.
I think he's referring to distortion at higher volumes due to lack of control. That's my guess.
Again, if efficiency is a worry of yours, utilize a more efficient enclosure like a vented or bandpass enclosure.

Old 11-20-2009   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Quote:
I think he's referring to distortion at higher volumes due to lack of control. That's my guess.
I think he's probably talking about clipping. He's probably asking a small amp to make more power than it can.
Old 11-20-2009   #25

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
not in the biz anymore
Position:
Install Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I think he's probably talking about clipping. He's probably asking a small amp to make more power than it can.
Gotcha