DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Help me decide on going to a DIY setup

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Soundsaround 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone. I've been a lurker on this forum for quite sometime now and this is my first post :)

I would like to try on a DIY setup because i've read a lot of good reviews here. So far I only heard of a Peerless Exclusives 7" + LPG 25nfa combo they are on the same car as mine (Honda Civic EK 96 sedan). I thought they are really good for the price. I'm located in the Philippines so acquiring them from foreign websites is a difficult thing. Most people here order the items online and have them shipped to their relatives their in the U.S. and they ship it here. So i would really like to get the best out of my money.

Here in our country, it's always been the branded sets that you will always see on the SQ scene, famous brands are Focal, DLS, Morel, Crystal, Alpine, JL audio, etc. But i can't afford those high end sets.

Currently, I'm considering between the Peerless Exclusives 7" and the Seas CA18RNX. A local guy offered me a used set of CA18RNX for 6000pesos ($125). If they are comparable enough with the exclusives I might get it.

Another thing that bugged me for the past few days is this guy said he has tuned 4 DIY systems already (CA18RNX and W18 excel) and he's claiming that those DIY drivers having a low Qts can never have the right mid-bass response in an IB door setup. It seems that he knows what he's talking about.

Please tell me what you think. First about going DIY, and if yes, which driver should i go for? Thanks in advance.

BTW, here's my current setup
Alpine CDA-9855
Rockford Fosgate Punch 450.2 driving a DLS MS6 magnesium series
Alpine MRD-301 driving a 12" Infinity Kappa DVC

The RF Punch is about to be replaced by a JBL PX300.4 or a 4-channel version of the RF punch. I will run the MS6 active until the DIY drivers arrive.

See less See more
#2 ·
lsouljah said:
Another thing that bugged me for the past few days is this guy said he has tuned 4 DIY systems already (CA18RNX and W18 excel) and he's claiming that those DIY drivers having a low Qts can never have the right mid-bass response in an IB door setup. It seems that he knows what he's talking about.
He's full of it. The Seas CA18RNX had TOO much midbass if any. Don't let specs get in the way. They can give you an idea of what will work, and what won't, but they are by no means the definitive answer.

That Exclusive/LPG combo you heard is a nice setup. I'd personally pick a different tweeter capable of lower end frequency response, but that's a personal preference. If you liked the Exclusives, then that just may be a good starting point. The Exclusives and CA18RNX are almost polar opposites. The Exclusives have nice top end extension, with nice clear, detailed midrange. The CA18RNX offers great low end, but lacks the midrange detail. They are easier to work with in that you can use them without a low pass filter on the top end. They roll off nicely on their own.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply, you got any suggestions for the tweeters? My budget is around $300 for both mids and tweeters. I liked the sparkle and the air of the lpg 25nfa compared to the DLS UP1c tweeters which is very laid back and lacks top end.

#4 ·
Installation is going to dictate that a lot. If you're firing them off-axis, the LPGs may be your best bet. If you can aim them on-axis, then the XT19 or XT25 might be good low budget options. Some Exclusives paired with a set of PacParts XT19s would be a really nice setup for around $200.00. Really depends on how you plan to install them though. The LPGs are hard to beat when played off-axis, they just don't have the low end capability to meet up with a 7" mid that's playing off-axis though. It's a tough call.

#5 ·
Given the low end boost in most cars and a well sealed door, it's typical to see flat response with the Seas drivers to 30-40hz easily. Not to metion regardless of the q of the driver, you can almost always use an EQ to shape the low end response to your liking.

#6 ·
Do you guys think the Seas CA18RNX is good enough? I just requested a quote from a local company who does ship items from the U.S. and it will cost me $236 for the Peerless mids alone.

Any other car audio tweeters that i can pair to these mids? Buying online is too much of a hassle for me. :(

guys, sorry for a n00b questions but i don't really understand what does response really stands for. It's not the same as output right? Is it a dip or peak on certain frequencies?

#7 ·
any morel tweeter will play low enough

#9 ·
lsouljah said:
Do you guys think the Seas CA18RNX is good enough?

guys, sorry for a n00b questions but i don't really understand what does response really stands for. It's not the same as output right? Is it a dip or peak on certain frequencies?
The CA18s are a great speaker.

As far as response, it just means what frequencies the driver will play well. Low end response is how low the driver can play before noticeable distortion, and high end extension is generally used when talking in the arena of on-axis, and off-axis alignment of the speakers. On-axis being aimed right at you, and off-axis being at an angle from you.

The CA18RNX/Morel MDT12 is a great low budget setup as well. I know Chad on this forum was very happy with his, and I used to run the CA18RNX and Morel MDT38 and was extremely pleased with it. I now run the G18RNX from Seas, but kept the Morel tweeters. They have a very nice detailed, but laid back sound.

#11 ·
lsouljah
if peerless mids run you that much, I'd go for whatever is cheaper I guess. If money matters.
I run CAs and they aren't bad at all. They surely do have enough midbass in doors after applying sound deadening and sealing em. I run with no sub now and am pretty freakin happy.

It's this bug that is in my head and I want more :).

#13 ·
Yeah, i know that the CA18RNX will sound way better than what i have right now. But i'm afraid i'll look for more. This is never ending :(

I've read every reviews on this site but still cannot decide which drivers to go to. BTW, this is truly an awesome site! Everyone's very helpful, not just a forum of know-it-alls and "this is better cause i have it" type.

#18 ·
The Peerless' midbass isn't exactly lacking, just not as much as the CA18. :D

To the OP: deadening your doors and mounting the drivers on a sturdy baffle really help midbass performance.

#15 ·
How about if I pair the CA18RNX with Seas Neo fabric tweets? According to reviews, they play lower compared to the 25nfa.

The G18RNX seem to be a good 2-way driver and recommended by npdang as a budget mid. But I already got a reply from madisound and they'll ship me the items directly so I'm limited with drivers on their inventory. How about the P18RNX?

Thanks a lot guys :)

#16 ·
Just an update to this thread.

After my last post, i decided to keep my DLS MS6 components until someone i know will be willing to buy a set of speakers for me there in the US.

A week ago, a member of a local car club sent me a PM if i was interested to get his Peerless Exclusives set + LPG 25nfa combo. Can't believe it! In about 2 hours i'll lay my hands on these babies. Although i was hesitant to get the LPG 25nfa because of it's inability to play low i'll give it a try and if i don't like it i'll order a Seas Neo and get it shipped here. I'll be getting the set for around $215 which is close to the BNEW price but i don't have to pay for taxes and shipping :)

My next problem, i'm currently using a SoundStream Rubicon 404 (50x4 @ 4ohms) amp and i'm worried that it is not adequate for those 8ohm drivers. Can i use it at least for a couple of months and still have some decent output? I don't have a lot of spare cash in hand so a new amp will have to wait, plus i don't know what 4-channel amp to get that will match the exclusives and LPGs nicely.

#17 ·
Got the drivers, i was a bit dissappointed because the exclusives have some corrosion around the basket. I thought it's fine because the cone doesn't show up some signs of getting wet.

I popped it in temporarily and powered them up, output seems just about the same as my DLS magnesiums. Low frequency output sucks probably because the mids is not mounted properly. I'll just wait til the weekend to mount them properly and see if DIY can really match up with those high end "big box" car audio components.

#19 ·
Oh, I just noticed the power your putting to them and thats probably part of the problem. 25 watts to the Exclusive is pretty low, so I wouldn't expect to much out of the mids untill you have more power. The tweeters will be fine on 25 watts though.

#20 ·
Yeah, i also think that 25w is not enough to move those mids.

I just popped them in the door without actually screwed just to see how it will sound. My door is completely deadened with 2-3layers of RaamMat and 1 layer of Ensolite on the inner panel. I have to make a new baffle for the peerless since the old one is for 6.5" mids. I'll also try to run them at 100wrms by bridging my 4-channel amp just to see how it will sound but i don't have an extra amp for my tweets right now.

Do you think having different brand/model amps for the tweets and mids can be a problem? A local guy told me once that i have to get the same brand/line of amps to make tuning easier. I thought it's Bull since my drivers aren't a set anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.