LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough

Default Wiring diagram for speakers, amp, sub w/ stock HU

I'm keeping my stock head unit in a Pontiac G8GT, but will be replacing everything else. I'm pretty much decided on a JL 500/5 amp, Boston SR60 front component speakers, Polk 651 rear speakers, and an Alpine S10 10" sub mounted in a custom, ported box made into the spare tire well. I'm assuming that this wiring diagram will work, right?

I will cut all the stock Speaker wires at the head unit and run them (probably via 9 conductor speed wire) down the drivers side. Wire up the amp to the battery and ground there in the trunk, along with the remote connection at the backup sensor pig tail. For sub signal, I'll get it from the stock amp wires that are back there. Then, run those wires to the sub. Lastly, run Speaker wires around the side of the Car and up into each door and the dash tweeters.

Supposedly, the JL 500/5 has switches for high/low inputs, so I can probably splice in an RCA connector to each speaker Wire instead of using a line-out converter. Or, I could buy a 4-channel LOC and be done with it (probably easier than splicing 8 RCA connectors). Get a 4-guage Power kit for the amp, 25+ feet of 9-conductor speed wire, and 100 feet of 14-gauge speaker wire, and probably a few odds-and-ends connectors.

That should be about it, right? Am I missing anything essential?
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 stereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Wiring diagram for speakers, amp, sub w/ stock HU

LOL...buy m y Rockford Fosgate 360.2 for seemless integration from the stock headunit and have tons of tuning capabilities. Add amps for ALL the speakers.

I'm not so sure if using the output of the stock headunit and splicing RCA's is a good idea. It may work but the input voltage from the stock HU can be a problem and cause you to throw the JL amp into clipping. High and low inputs means high imputs up to something like 5v. Your HU will exceed that if I'm not mistaken. Go with my 360.2 or my Audison Bitone.1 to integrate your stock HU.

Good luck and ask away with the questions.

Chuck

HU, Processor, Amps, Drivers.
2011 MECA Modified Street Georgia State Champion
2011 MECA Modified Street World Finals Runner-up
Team DiYMA - 2011, 2012 MECA Team of the Year
2012 MECA Modified Street Georgia State Champion
stereo_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough00 Trans Ram will become famous soon enough

Yeah - I looked at the 3sixty.2 on recommendation from another member on another board (was that you? on grrrr8.net?). Nice unit, and something I'd probably like. But, I can add it later.

What do you mean add amps for all speakers? The 500/5 will run all the speakers.

Don't know about the RCAs from the Speaker wires. I'll probably spend $30 on a 4-channel LOC for the Speaker wires coming from the radio. It'd be a neater install, and much less hassle.
Old 07-20-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 stereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the rough

Yeah I missed the 500/5. Add the 360.2 NOW and have all the tuning adjustments you know you want.

Chuck

HU, Processor, Amps, Drivers.
2011 MECA Modified Street Georgia State Champion
2011 MECA Modified Street World Finals Runner-up
Team DiYMA - 2011, 2012 MECA Team of the Year
2012 MECA Modified Street Georgia State Champion
stereo_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_luver View Post
Add the 360.2 NOW and have all the tuning adjustments you know you want.

Chuck
Well, my budget will probably preclude that. I want to leave a cushion so that I have enough to send my stock radio to get reflashed so that I can have XM radio in it, along with Video-In-Motion. And, still gotta Build the custom sub enclosure. Finally, I want to have some left for sound deadening.

All that MUST happen at the same time. The 360.2 can happen later.

That is, of course, if you know someone who would like to donate a 360.2 unit to "charity". You could send it to the "Save the Music (in my car)" foundation