LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 Gundam will become famous soon enoughGundam will become famous soon enoughGundam will become famous soon enoughGundam will become famous soon enoughGundam will become famous soon enoughGundam will become famous soon enough

Default Anyone ever use industrial strength velcro to mount amps vertically?

I have a low wall behind the seats of my corvette and alot of people usually glue a piece of mdf onto it and lay the carpet over. The amp is then mounted onto the new base. Instead of doing this, I was considering using industrial strength velcro to hold the amp up, but I'm unsure if they'll hold for daily use, and the occasional high speed manuvering

I've heard of pepople using velcro to secure subboxes to the floor of their trunks...but what about for an amp mounted vertically?
Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #2

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Ron G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enoughRon G. will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Anyone ever use industrial strength velcro to mount amps vertically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam
I have a low wall behind the seats of my corvette and alot of people usually glue a piece of mdf onto it and lay the carpet over. The amp is then mounted onto the new base. Instead of doing this, I was considering using industrial strength velcro to hold the amp up, but I'm unsure if they'll hold for daily use, and the occasional high speed manuvering

I've heard of pepople using velcro to secure subboxes to the floor of their trunks...but what about for an amp mounted vertically?
I use it to mount my Sony XEC-1000 crossover which is a fair size. That industrial velcro is very strong as it is actually hard to pull the xover off once its mounted. It may work for very small amps if not too heavy, but I certainly wouldn't push the envelope too far. I also have a Blaupunkt velocity V2100 secured to my GTI's trunk floor with it and it does not ever move. But I don't think I would trust it vertically mounted like that. It is always better to secure them with screws, especially from a safety perspective. In the event of an accident, I'm sure mine would no doubt become airborne. And that is not a good thing.
Ron G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Anyone ever use industrial strength velcro to mount amps vertically?

I had an Xtant 603X mounted about 20 degrees from vertical using four 2" wide and 8" long strips of industrial Velcro.

This was in a MR2 Spyder. Not as much raw acceleration as your Vette, but it never moved under "street" cornering loads or braking. Never tested the limits at an AutoX type event, so I can't speak to how it would stay with high-G transient loads.
lbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 128 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Why not bolt it down with MDF spacers, not the whole board?
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Whiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enough

or if the seat is a plate of steel rather than a mesh, my not just bolt it straight to the steel using self tapping screws?

if it IS a mesh, you can insert a backerboard inside the seat between the foam and mesh and use that to install the amp onto.
Whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 128 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit
or if the seat is a plate of steel rather than a mesh, my not just bolt it straight to the steel using self tapping screws?
Very much Tweeter install style (personal opinion). I re-did about 5 of these. Nasty! Drywall screws for the ground too. Sparky and kaboomie it was!
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 126 Infinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enough

I have the Aura amps in my sig velcroed to the rear of my seats. VERY little normal driving- and the car is modified. I think you'll be ok.

I gots no stereo for now......
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 solacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enoughsolacedagony will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to solacedagony Send a message via AIM to solacedagony Send a message via MSN to solacedagony

The only problem I've had with velcro is the sticky side, not the hook/loop side. The adhesive just doesn't seem to be all that great.

2003 Ford Ranger Std. Cab
Pioneer P880PRS | Seas Neo/Exclusive 7" | DIYMA12
solacedagony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 fredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by solacedagony
The only problem I've had with velcro is the sticky side, not the hook/loop side. The adhesive just doesn't seem to be all that great.
+1 this has been my biggest issue with it.
fredridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Whiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5
Very much Tweeter install style (personal opinion). I re-did about 5 of these. Nasty! Drywall screws for the ground too. Sparky and kaboomie it was!
yeah, cause velcro is way better. nothing wrong with using self tapping screws to mount an amplifier to a plate of steel. If you had to fox someone elses install that doesnt mean the mathodology sucked, it meant the excecution sucked.
Whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 118 SQ_Bronco will become famous soon enoughSQ_Bronco will become famous soon enoughSQ_Bronco will become famous soon enoughSQ_Bronco will become famous soon enoughSQ_Bronco will become famous soon enoughSQ_Bronco will become famous soon enough

just don't velcro them down inside the cabin. If you have an accident a 20lb projectile will take someone's head off.

"Don't eat that! It's Pluto!!!"
SQ_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 110 Diru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enough

I have mounted a Profile 1200sx [the 2 foot long amp] useing 3/4x6 strips [4x] flat on the floor and held very well.
Diru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 126 Infinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by solacedagony
IDK what kind you guys are getting, or if I'm just damned lucky, but the stuff I have would take nothing short of acetone and a pry bar to remove it. The sticky ain't coming off. I also don't drive it in the winter, so maybe the lack of force on it when it is cold helps it to last longer.

I gots no stereo for now......
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #14
fej

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 110 fej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enoughfej will become famous soon enough

The problem he has is there isn't ANY steel to mount anything to. The location he is describing is a fairly thin fiberglass panel located several inches (max) in front of the gas tank.

If you have any questions PM me or head over to http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Tons of system examples and ideas for all vettes (last 3 gen's mainly) and a lot of knowledgeable people there as well.

To give you some ideas .. I have a z06 with a small amp mounted on the back wall using adhesive and MDF, and a rather large amp in length (16.5") but very thin (1.5") underneath a non-power passenger seat. Have a few pics on my profile listed at the above link. Check the stickies first.

Fej

01 z06~Eclipse 8053~PPI dcx-730~Genesis Profile P5~Focal Polykevlar 7"~DLS Iridium 3" dome~a/d/s ps5.2~LPG 25nfa~IDQ 12" d4~Forever in tuning mode

05 Silverado Ext Cab~Eclipse 8053~Alpine PDX 4.150~Pioneer 720prs Mid / Seas Neo Aluminum ~Alpine PDX 1.600~JL 8w7~Installed and tuning

Team SQ Speaker Wire

Friends don't let friends have rear fill
fej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 118 8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice8675309 is just really nice

I use it to mount Cisco switches in nema enclosures all the time. Seems to work great.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 112 ClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enoughClinesSelect will become famous soon enough

From my experience, the adhesive eventually fails in hot climates. It held fine in Denver but it only lasts a few months here in the summer.
ClinesSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClinesSelect
From my experience, the adhesive eventually fails in hot climates. It held fine in Denver but it only lasts a few months here in the summer.
I think it might be a function of what it is attached to - the surface it's stuck to in my case is Corian. BTW, I have a black car; located in Florida; and park in the open while at work Mon-Fri. The amp box recently (last weekend) came out of my car and I just went out and tried to pull some off - will take some pliers and bracing myself against the box to get it off.
lbridges is offline   Reply With Quote